Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Brazilian Jiu Jitsu - General Thread

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 27,898 ✭✭✭✭TitianGerm

Mellor wrote: »
    That's what I was thinking too.
    Not a sub you should crank hard. And not one guys should be playing with some sort of understanding.

In my club we don't tend to train leg locks that often but there is one guy who loves YouTube and comes in every night swinging out of everyone else legs and ankles.

No mater how often he's told he always tries something crazy. I hate rolling with him and tend to sit a round out if he's the only one free.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,056 ✭✭✭darced

This post has been deleted.

• Registered Users Posts: 39,126 ✭✭✭✭Mellor

darced wrote: »
    +1 on the above advice.
    Often the best counter to poorly attempted leg lock, is well executed leg attack. Even if you've no interest in that aspect of the game, the best way to learn defence, is to understand the attacks, imo.

My club has a pretty open approach to jiu jitsu. My coach doesn't restrict it to IBJJF techniques. So leg locks are allowed, especially in no-gi. Obviously week don't destroy new white belts with heel hooks. But typically the colour belts all agree to roll with leg locks. If somebody wants to exclude them, that's fine too.

darced wrote: »
    Simple way to fix that is learn leg locks yourself, nothing worse than BJJ guys who refuse to learn leg locks. Every time I have heard people complaining about the leg lock guy it is in reality because he is tapping them out with them.

There is nothing as easy to defend as poorly attempted leg/ankle locks.

Oh I do know how to leg lock I just tend to prefer the triangle, armbar and collar chokes.

A leg/ankle lock is kind of something I'd never even think of going for as I always like to pass and aim for the upper body.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,683 ✭✭✭Subcomandante Marcos

emmetkenny wrote: »
    Oh I do know how to leg lock I just tend to prefer the triangle, armbar and collar chokes.

A leg/ankle lock is kind of something I'd never even think of going for as I always like to pass and aim for the upper body.

I see you like to get your IBJJF one :P

• Advertisement

I see you like to get your IBJJF one :P

Ha you could say that :)

In fairness though because I don't tend to try leg/ankle lock people myself I tend to be a bit sloppy myself in leaving my legs in vulnerable positions, and I only have myself to blame.

I don't tend to try leg/ankle lock people myself I tend to be a bit sloppy myself in leaving my legs in vulnerable positions, and I only have myself to blame.

A new brown belt joined our club recently. It was my first time rolling with him last week, after the advanced nogi class. He had me in 50-50, kinda toying a little but he left his foot completely exposed. So I went for a heelhook, and soon as I locked the grip he tapped. He said forgot all about heelhooks until I grabbed it.
    He went straight for me ankle the next roll, but I was saved my the bell.

It other news, tapped my first brown belt last week. :D:D:D

• Registered Users Posts: 714 ✭✭✭Smyth

How old is too old? I'm 29. Looking to get into some sort of physical sport. I do a lot of physical training on my own, but would love to put that to some use. The technical side of Ju Jitsu appeals to me.

29 too old to start and become proficient?

Also, where would be best to train in the city. Down around rathgar, rathmines, ranelagh?

Smyth wrote: »
    How old is too old? I'm 29. Looking to get into some sort of physical sport. I do a lot of physical training on my own, but would love to put that to some use. The technical side of Ju Jitsu appeals to me.

Also, where would be best to train in the city. Down around rathgar, rathmines, ranelagh?

I'm 29. Started when I was 26.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,902 ✭✭✭cletus

29 is nothing. Go get started, because as soon as you do, your only regret will not be starting sooner

• Advertisement

I don't tend to try leg/ankle lock people myself I tend to be a bit sloppy myself in leaving my legs in vulnerable positions, and I only have myself to blame.

A new brown belt joined our club recently. It was my first time rolling with him last week, after the advanced nogi class. He had me in 50-50, kinda toying a little but he left his foot completely exposed. So I went for a heelhook, and soon as I locked the grip he tapped. He said forgot all about heelhooks until I grabbed it.
    He went straight for me ankle the next roll, but I was saved my the bell.

It other news, tapped my first brown belt last week. :D:D:D

****in durty leg locker :D

Its funny the difference in attitude to leg locks since I started training. It was almost seen as a low, dirty move if you went for a leg, and defo white and blue belts didn't train leglocks

I'm 30 started at 27.

John Danaher (Renzo Gracie black belt, coach to a whole heap of top BJJ fighers, and also quite a few MMA fighters) is considered one of the best coaches on the technical aspects of BJJ. Especially leg locks.
    He started BJJ at 28 afaik.

The dirtiest...:D

To be fair, there are still plenty that think the IBJJF way is the only way. And that leglocks are inherently dangerous. It's definitely becoming more common to embrace the dark side though.

• Registered Users Posts: 92 ✭✭lanciadub

Im 39 started bjj/grappling about 3 years ago . never looked back .
    you've loads of time yet . Put the work and time in and you'll get proficient .
    No doubt about it

• Registered Users Posts: 297 ✭✭Mini850

30 years old when I started, I'm 33 now. Ive never been into something more in my life. I love the technical aspect of it.

• Registered Users Posts: 455 ✭✭TheSegal

Started this year just before my 28th birthday, absolutely love it and the average age in the club doesn't seem to be much younger. Few guys in their 40s and 50s who are still going strong!

Watch out for that old man strength :D

• Registered Users Posts: 7,056 ✭✭✭darced

• Registered Users Posts: 3,126 ✭✭✭dashoonage

im 33 started bjj last month. Just roll homie. its great..there are loads of other oldies to roll with and you can discuss pensions and the free bus pass.

• Registered Users Posts: 29,554 ✭✭✭✭Zero-Cool

33 myself and started in January. Wish i would have stayed years ago but don't let it put you off. Most people i train with are similar age so don't let it stop you. Worth at least to give 1 class a ago.

• Registered Users Posts: 354 ✭✭agent graves

I started in march at 30.. age of most people I train with are same age give or take a few years.. a few in there early 20s and a few in late 40s... definitely go to a few classes.. its well worth it

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,314 ✭✭✭BOHtox

22 and training on and off for a year. The attitude of "jaysus I wish I started when I was younger" resonates with people of all ages. If I were 18 when I started then I'd have been a purple belt by now. Just go down, have a roll and you'll love it. There's a lad in his late forties who's been training for over 2 years who's just been promoted to blue belt.

Just don't forget to cut your toenails ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 2,493 ✭✭✭RoboRat

39 and training 5 years now and LOVE IT. Tore my ACL so was out for a year and just had a baby in June so been out since then and raring to get back.

Never too old to start as long as you are sensible and make sure you warm up properly. I used to play footie at a high level and could go on an all night bender and get up half cut and play 90 mins when I was in my 20's.... now I need to do a good 20 min warm up to ensure I don't pull anything! You will also notice that the older you get, the less flexible especially if you have had both ACL's done but you just adjust your game to suit your strengths. I will never berimbolo or tornado sweep but I have good pressure and base so I focus on that... plus old man strength exists and its great :-)

Heres a question for ye mat savages.

Im a white belt in BJJ, Been training for about a year and a half with it being broken in the middle by about a year.

I had missed two gradings in the first of the two spells, so I'm a bog standard no stripe white belt.

Since going back training, our club changed affiliation where there is no official grading as such and guys/gals get stripes/belts on the fly. It could be at a seminar, or at training, during a roll or while drilling. The instructor will just surprise you with a stripe or belt or what ever. Its actually quite nice seeing the surprise on peoples faces.

My issue (if i can even call it that) is that people that I would see myself as better than, or at least on par with are picking up stripes, while I am still bogo standard white belt. And its been said to me by my team mates that they have noticed too.

Now I'm a regular at class, have good relationships with my trainers. Listen and ask questions. I roll with 3 and 4 stripe white belts, blue belts and do well, and can "survive" pretty well against purple and brown.

What am I doing wrong?

Now, I know it shouldn't get to me. In my mind my progress has been steady and I grade myself on how I do during a roll against guys higher grades than me. And, lets face it, the belt just keeps my Gi closed.

But I wonder if for some reason, my instructors don't see enough in me to grade me.

It occupying more of my mind than it should.

On a plus note, I'm still enjoying BJJ and love learning. It's not the sort of thing that would make me quit.

Your thoughts please..........:cool:

Mini850 wrote: »
    Heres a question for ye mat savages.

Im a white belt in BJJ, Been training for about a year and a half with it being broken in the middle by about a year.

I had missed two gradings in the first of the two spells, so I'm a bog standard no stripe white belt.

Since going back training, our club changed affiliation where there is no official grading as such and guys/gals get stripes/belts on the fly. It could be at a seminar, or at training, during a roll or while drilling. The instructor will just surprise you with a stripe or belt or what ever. Its actually quite nice seeing the surprise on peoples faces.

My issue (if i can even call it that) is that people that I would see myself as better than, or at least on par with are picking up stripes, while I am still bogo standard white belt. And its been said to me by my team mates that they have noticed too.

Now I'm a regular at class, have good relationships with my trainers. Listen and ask questions. I roll with 3 and 4 stripe white belts, blue belts and do well, and can "survive" pretty well against purple and brown.

What am I doing wrong?

Now, I know it shouldn't get to me. In my mind my progress has been steady and I grade myself on how I do during a roll against guys higher grades than me. And, lets face it, the belt just keeps my Gi closed.

But I wonder if for some reason, my instructors don't see enough in me to grade me.

It occupying more of my mind than it should.

On a plus note, I'm still enjoying BJJ and love learning. It's not the sort of thing that would make me quit.

Your thoughts please..........:cool:

How long have you been back on the mats? It could be the instructors want to see you roll for a few months again before handing out a stripe.

You need a bit of dedication to earn them.

How long have you been back on the mats? It could be the instructors want to see you roll for a few months again before handing out a stripe.

You need a bit of dedication to earn them.

About 7 months back. was out due to serious injury.

Maybe I just have to play the waiting game, train well, roll well and it will all come.

Stripes are largely irrelevant imo. Could be any number of reasons you haven't got any yet. Grades in jiu jitsu are about more than who you can tap in training. Plus competition is more I indicative of ability than training rolls. If you enter a few comps and win/ medal you'll be noticed

Stripes are largely irrelevant imo. Could be any number of reasons you haven't got any yet. Grades in jiu jitsu are about more than who you can tap in training. Plus competition is more I indicative of ability than training rolls. If you enter a few comps and win/ medal you'll be noticed

In most cases you might be right, but others are getting stripes without any comp experience.

Hope to enter the tourney in Cork in October.

For me competitions are just not worth it. I might get two or three rolls for €50 or I can go to a seminar and spend the €50 on two/three hours of techniques with some rolls afterwards.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,229 ✭✭✭✭DrPhilG

I'm hoping to compete this year at some point. Need to lose some weight though. I'm pushing 100kg at the minute and about 20kg of it is just lard.

• Advertisement

Mini850 wrote: »
    In most cases you might be right, but others are getting stripes without any comp experience.

Hope to enter the tourney in Cork in October.
    I think you misunderstood. I wasn't suggesting that you need competitions to get stripes. That part was in response to the way you were grading yourself on how you do in rolls in the gym. Surviving against the brown belt probably means he is letting you survive. even between other white/blue belts. "Beating" somebody in gym the might mean you are better than them. Or it might mean you they just rolling at a lower intensity. Or are working on their weak areas etc.

In competition, none of that applies. A good results performance in October should see you noticed. May have just forgot to stripe you.

Different clubs have different criteria. You could be very good overall, but lacking something your coach needs. There's a guy we train with, better than most of the blues and gives the purple a good run. But he's still a white belt, as he neglects large aspects of the syllabus.
    For me competitions are just not worth it. I might get two or three rolls for €50 or I can go to a seminar and spend the €50 on two/three hours of techniques with some rolls afterwards.
    There's a big difference between a match in comp and a roll in the gym imo. If all you want is a roll, then a comp is an expensive way to get one. I can roll at the end of training for free, or at open mat for free or a small fee. That's where you get better week to week.

For me, competition is something else. The intensity is generally higher, there's more pressure etc. I've made silly mistakes in comp that I'd never (or rarely) make in the gym due to this. Getting better at dealing with that pressure = better jiu jitsu, for me. Some people have no interest, which is fine obviously.

Advertisement