Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Storm Imogen - Feb 07/08-Strong Winds/High Seas for Southern Areas

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 6,143 ✭✭✭munsterlegend

7 pm reports v impressive.
    67knots at valentia!!

In old money that's nearly 80mph

I know the main winds are a few hours off but is this a bit higher than expected at this stage?

• Registered Users Posts: 314 ✭✭NMB

Immy wrote: »
    My daughter is Imogen. She is lookinf forward to this storm.

that is so cute, Imogen is a beautiful name.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,143 ✭✭✭munsterlegend

Immy wrote: »
    My daughter is Imogen. She is lookinf forward to this storm.

She might not be too welcome in Kerry/cork after tonight!

• Registered Users Posts: 48,132 ✭✭✭✭km79

I never heard someone called Imogen in my life. What's it from?

Imogen thomas ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 2,887 ✭✭✭JanuarySnowstor

I know the main winds are a few hours off but is this a bit higher than expected at this stage?
    Sure is but they were pbly associated with squally showers.
    8pm reports will be interesting

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 265 ✭✭sumtings

Pat McArdle @patmcardle

Not a clue who he is

https://mobile.twitter.com/FastnetLHouse

Seems to be a retweet from here

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,141 ✭✭✭Stealthfins

The wind seems to be blowing down my chimney here.
    Heavy hail too in the Burren

• Registered Users Posts: 18,112 ✭✭✭✭JCX BXC

http://www.met.ie/forecasts/short-range.asp

I've never seen the Dark Purple used for wind.

• Registered Users Posts: 798 ✭✭✭Bicycle

I never heard someone called Imogen in my life. What's it from?

My 2 year old niece is called Imogen. She's a sweetheart. The shop in Muckross House has stuff with her name on it. I've previously picked up Christmas decorations and an ink stamp with her name on it.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,955 ✭✭✭_Whimsical_

Some impressive gusts in Galway city strangely enough, although we aren't in on the action this time according to all forecasts.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,164 ✭✭✭lottpaul

Wild enough here in west Kerry but the forecast maps say we are in for a real hammering after midnight
    Fascinating too to see Bantry Bay full of trawlers sheltering from it all. http://www.marinetraffic.com/en/ais/home/centerx:-10/centery:52/zoom:10

Have been watching the progress of a ship called the Galway Fisher - she was off the Kerry coast earlier and is now off west Clare. Headed for Galway but I would hate to be on it. Can only imagine what that would be like :(

• Registered Users Posts: 1,982 ✭✭✭squarecircles

Various power outages occurring now in the south and southwest,very squally here on the immediate coast, west Mayo,with hail showers.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 4,466 Mod ✭✭✭✭mickger844posts

Relative calm here in Waterford City with winds gusting to 20km/h. During showers this is rising to 50s. The Wxsim forecast software on my site showing gusts to near 90km/h later. This is normally fairly accurate for my location so an interesting night ahead.

www.waterfordcityweather.com

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 11,827 Mod ✭✭✭✭Meteorite58

Good few boats sheltering behind the aran Islands also. Been a long windy wet day here near Tralee, spent nearly an hour outside this evening helping to fix a car, bitter.

g5KXA2I.png

Shannon Airport reporting light thunderstorm rain hail and 33kts gusting 44kts at 21:00.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,505 ✭✭✭✭Xenji

Various power outages occurring now in the south and southwest,very squally here in Mayo,with hail showers.

Completely calm in Castlebar, not a puff of breeze, but when it does rain it comes in a deluge, 20.4mm of rain so far.

Wind getting more violent with every passing shower here in West Clare.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,887 ✭✭✭JanuarySnowstor

The 18z looks a tad stronger at 7am

• Registered Users Posts: 1,597 ✭✭✭corsav6

Various power outages occurring now in the south and southwest,very squally here in Mayo,with hail showers.

Not a lot happening here just outside Newport, constant rain and the odd gust but mostly calm.
    It's been raining a bloody day here.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,758 ✭✭✭Comhrá

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,254 ✭✭✭blue4ever

lottpaul wrote: »
    Wild enough here in west Kerry but the forecast maps say we are in for a real hammering after midnight
    Fascinating too to see Bantry Bay full of trawlers sheltering from it all. http://www.marinetraffic.com/en/ais/home/centerx:-10/centery:52/zoom:10
    (

Fantastic

• Registered Users Posts: 1,254 ✭✭✭blue4ever

Have been watching the progress of a ship called the Galway Fisher - she was off the Kerry coast earlier and is now off west Clare. Headed for Galway but I would hate to be on it. Can only imagine what that would be like :(

She is just off spanish point (10pm)- exposed as hell - dont think Galway Bay will be too helpful - if you go back to http://www.marinetraffic.com/en/ais/home/centerx:-9/centery:53/zoom:10 you'll see a few hiding/hugging on the east side of the Aran Islands - might be more protection there.

• Registered Users Posts: 262 ✭✭onmebike

Finnis Buoy off the Aran Islands is experiencing some big waves at the moment....
    Finnis Buoy
    @FinnisBuoy
    Water Temp:8.9 °C, Wind Dir:259 °(W), Gust Dir:211 °(SW), Avg Wind:25kts, Gust:53kts, Wave Height:3.7m at 07/02/2016 20:55:00

• Registered Users Posts: 9,437 ✭✭✭weisses

Wild enough is a bit of an understatement I think .. And the worst is yet to come :eek:

• Registered Users Posts: 2,575 ✭✭✭monkeysnapper

Jeeez here in Kerry its getting really wild . 20 mins ago there was a gust that shook house . and it sounds like its getting worse .

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,434 ✭✭✭fepper

North Kerry is pretty bad at the moment as well

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,559 ✭✭✭pedigree 6

Kinsale energy recorded a wave height of 6.5m at 22.00

• Registered Users Posts: 1,492 ✭✭✭Hooter23

These showers are quite vicious

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,141 ✭✭✭Stealthfins

It's blowing down through the valleys and up over the hills here in the Burren.
    Getting more aggressive as she blows.
    I wouldn't like to have to drive by black head lighthouse at high tide early in the morning.
    Sometimes the splash from the waves covers cars passing by.
    Doolin will take a battering too.
    As for Quilty,I wouldn't like to be in those house's right on the seafront.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 12,778 ✭✭✭✭ninebeanrows

Picking up to the far south-west now

SHERKIN ISLAND(A) W 39 Gust 65 (113kph)
    VALENTIA(A) SW 34 Gust 61 (120kph)

Kinsale Energey platform is gusting 77kt or 143kph

Advertisement