Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Storm Imogen - Feb 07/08-Strong Winds/High Seas for Southern Areas

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,492 ✭✭✭Hooter23

We have often had storms go more north or south than what was forecast so I wouldnt be surprised if it turns out to be worse than forecast in Galway only needs a slight shift north on its forecast track...

• Registered Users Posts: 2,855 ✭✭✭Nabber

Weather is going to happen, wishing for makes no difference.

My house has been flooded twice in 8 years. I live where a river meets the sea. But I still enjoy these events.

Weather has a raw beauty. I see people who get uptight with others for enjoying 'bad' weather, I hope you are helping your local homeless people and not just using their plight as an aide to your argument. That is far worse than the rain. That attitude keeps people homeless, not the weather.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,112 ✭✭✭✭JCX BXC

Some very scary sounding gusts in West Clare at the moment thanks to a squally shower.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,597 ✭✭✭corsav6

Carnacalla wrote: »
    Some very scary sounding gusts in West Clare at the moment thanks to a squally shower.

It's gusty here in Mayo but the rain and hail has been relentless all day, only getting worse as the dark sets in.
    Not expecting much in the way of wind from this storm here but if we get much more rain then roads around me will be closed once again.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,047 ✭✭✭Clonmel1000

I get your point, Strangegravy, as I do the interest in (un)usual weather patterns. They are coming our way regardless.

What leaves a bad taste with me is when you see cossetted eejits who don't have to deal with the fallout posting up (mostly on Facebook rather than here admittedly) their hopes and desires that this will be the BIG one, without a thought for the general public, and the misery they experience as a result.

That's totally different to folk taking a keen interest in the development of such systems, the expertise and guidance of whom is the reason I'm here.

Thanks for the reasoned and balanced response though, it's appreciated:)

Stay away from the snow threads here so. You daren't question peoples love of snow there.....

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 4,434 ✭✭✭northgirl

Sounds like Imogen has arrived in Cork..

• Registered Users Posts: 659 ✭✭✭wazzoraybelle

Really ramping up on the east cork coast in the last half hour

• Registered Users Posts: 332 ✭✭howlinwolf

Just read on rte.ie that a woman in her 40s sadly died while hill walking today near dingle in Kerry. Rescue team had a really hard time retreaving the body due to the high winds. Anybody out and about tonight especially in southwest stay safe.

howlinwolf wrote: »
    Just read on rte.ie that a woman in her 40s sadly died while hill walking today near dingle in Kerry. Rescue team had a really hard time retreaving the body due to the high winds. Anybody out and about tonight especially in southwest stay safe.

Very sad, thoughts with the family.

This echos the calls for people to be safe hill walking, to check the forecasts, and don't take risks by walking in very windy weather.

RIP.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,143 ✭✭✭munsterlegend

Getting very blustery in north cork. Read somewhere this storm's winds is not from the normal prevailing direction which may prove problematic.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,887 ✭✭✭JanuarySnowstor

Torrential shower now over Cork

Getting very blustery in north cork. Read somewhere this storm's winds is not from the normal prevailing direction which may prove problematic.

Negetive, will be Westerly winds, very common with Irish storms

• Registered Users Posts: 584 ✭✭✭aisling86

Torrential shower now over Cork

The heavens have literally opened!
    Some major gusts the last hour. Must drive from Rochestown to Macroom shortly.

Cork Airport tower reporting gusts of 41kts.

Negetive, will be Westerly winds, very common with Irish storms

Read it on a rival website more uk based! Was kind of surprised myself. Anyway hope the trees stay standing

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18,969 ✭✭✭✭syklops

Dublin 18 getting a bit of a hammering.

Read it on a rival website more uk based! Was kind of surprised myself. Anyway hope the trees stay standing

Due to the location of the low the winds could be different in another part of the UK, but for all of Southern Ireland the winds will be westerly, with the near the same on the northern half, maybe being more northwesterly but far less strength.

• Registered Users Posts: 589 ✭✭✭Chicken Run

Fairly Blustery here in West Clare. Some Very heavy showers since 2pm. Moonsoon type rain at times.

Aye - I was out walking the dog in East Clare in it !!!!

Just seen the shipping forecast - love the word "phenomenal" describing the sea in the Shannon gale warning...

• Registered Users Posts: 1,492 ✭✭✭Hooter23

Heavy hail shower just now in Galway made everything all white :)

The fastnet light reporting 164kph!

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 688 ✭✭✭Aerohead

Just had a huge hail shower in Galway

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18,969 ✭✭✭✭syklops

howlinwolf wrote: »

Anyone out and about unless they need to be for work or other commitments is a bit dense. Im sorry for that woman and her family, but the very fact a rescue team was required meant she didn't just go for a stroll.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,068 ✭✭✭Iancar29

The fastnet light reporting 164kph!

Source? :)

• Registered Users Posts: 266 ✭✭Irelandcool

I never heard someone called Imogen in my life. What's it from?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,409 ✭✭✭Trebor176

There was a fairly heavy hail shower in Dublin 22 a little while ago. The winds picked up briefly during it. It's calmed down again now, though. Having said that, it's been kind of blustery on and off all day here.

7 pm reports v impressive.
    67knots at valentia!!

In old money that's nearly 80mph

I never heard someone called Imogen in my life. What's

Graces7 posted its origins a few pages back,

Iancar29 wrote: »
    Source? :)

Pat McArdle @patmcardle

Not a clue who he is

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 260 ✭✭Immy

My daughter is Imogen. She is lookinf forward to this storm.

Advertisement