Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Storm Imogen - Feb 07/08-Strong Winds/High Seas for Southern Areas

Options

Comments

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 11,819 Mod ✭✭✭✭Meteorite58

I think the models are holding steady enough but did notice GFS going for some very strong winds around the Dingle Peninsula / Glenbeigh / Cahercieveen for early 04.00 that werent there till the last run and also that winds are a bit slower to abate and remain stronger till mid morning / early afternoon ( maybe wont hold that exact tract or intensity but looks like could well get winds of 130kph+ hitting the coast there for a short while in the early hours). I would think that Waterford and possibly Wexford may get included in the Orange warning. Kerry could be a boderline Orange / Red warning at this stage.

ltEn7PU.gif

dF8rDqj.gif

• Registered Users Posts: 18,107 ✭✭✭✭JCX BXC

An upgrade to a red warning would not be taken lightly by Met Eireann as it stops services etc School buses and other things.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,066 ✭✭✭✭Oscar Bravo

blowy enough out there today also, Malin head gusting 54 knots (100km/h)

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 11,819 Mod ✭✭✭✭Meteorite58

Rain from the cold front associated with todays low making its way onshore here in Kerry, Imogen looks fairly intense and ready hot on its heels . Some very tight isobars .

E7WGObP.png?1

8d3ARW4.jpg?1

• Closed Accounts Posts: 688 ✭✭✭Aerohead

I'm confused, not a mention of Galway or Connacht in the weather advisory yet on their forecast the give a warning of storm force winds from Mizen head to Slyne head which take in Galway

• Advertisement

TAF from Shannon showing wind gusting to 57 knots from the west early tomorrow morning,Cork showing 58knots....gonna be wild enough....

TAF from Shannon showing wind gusting to 57 knots from the west early tomorrow morning....gonna be wild enough....

Cork Showing 58kts, was showing 60kts earlier.

Munster
    07 February 2016- updated at 13:00
    Today

Rain will spread throughout this afternoon becoming heavy in parts and persistent. South to southwest winds will become strong gusting gale. Highest temperatures of 8 to 10 degrees.

Tonight

Overnight showers will occur. Very windy with southwest winds gusting severe gale or even storm force especially across the south. Lowest temperatures of 3 to 6 degrees.

Updated at 13:00? Hmm

i would imagine they just rounded it off to 1300....

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,143 ✭✭✭munsterlegend

i would imagine they just rounded it off to 1300....

They always have it at 1300 in the regional updates and the next one will be 18 00.

correct :)

Farming forecast coming up on RTE1 just after the news at 1pm

RTE one news forecast included Tipperary in the yellow warning.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,143 ✭✭✭munsterlegend

Farming forecast coming up on RTE1 just after the news at 1pm

Nothing too concerning in that forecast. Orange warning for cork and Kerry..no real change.

• Registered Users Posts: 32,634 ✭✭✭✭Graces7

corsav6 wrote: »
    How far from the coast are you graces?
    We're 4 miles by road so I'd say maybe 2 miles as the crow flies. I think we're 250asl,if I remember what the GPS read.

Not sure. Nearest beach is at Templenoe, a very few miles as the crow flies. This small area is in fact an upland valley. As opposed to neighbouring Blackwater Valley .. hence thankfully no flooding.

Carnacalla wrote: »
    An upgrade to a red warning would not be taken lightly by Met Eireann as it stops services etc School buses and other things.

As it should after the chaos of Darwin. Is it not the bus drivers who have stated their refusal to run if the warning is red? Wise men.

Graces7 wrote: »
    As it should after the chaos of Darwin. Is it not the bus drivers who have stated their refusal to run if the warning is red? Wise men.

Of course they should, but my point is Met Eireann will make sure the warning is well warranted before it's issued.

The air sweeping across the mountains is white. Looks like fog but then you realise it is moving in great white swathes of icy rain. Loud on windows and roof. Just brought one of the cats in; he was lurking round the sheltered gable end not wanting to brave the westerly at the front... Cannot blame him.. we faced the lashing together.....They are unsettled as always in bad weather.. The westerlies are the most likely to shift my digiweb dish which means all my communications will go so if it goes silent here, that is why. Hoping not. They take weeks to fix it. Bitter cold wind is that now. High drama ahead clearly.

Carnacalla wrote: »
    Of course they should, but my point is Met Eireann will make sure the warning is well warranted before it's issued.

Even if borderline, best safe.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,542 ✭✭✭Tactical

Graces7 wrote: »
    The westerlies are the most likely to shift my digiweb dish which means all my communications will go so if it goes silent here, that is why. Hoping not. They take weeks to fix it. Bitter cold wind is that now. High drama ahead clearly.

A properly installed dish / panel will not shift in the wind. Even conditions such as forecast. A poorly installed dish or panel will shift unfortunately. Companies install to a budget rather than a service, which is a contributory factor to the poor rural broadband in Ireland.

Always look for a rebate for the days you are without service.

Tactical wrote: »
    A properly installed dish / panel will not shift in the wind. Even conditions such as forecast. A poorly installed dish or panel will shift unfortunately. Companies install to a budget rather than a service, which is a contributory factor to the poor rural broadband in Ireland.

Always look for a rebate for the days you are without service.

Interesting. When I moved up here they sent a lad to install it and every time it rained the service went off and then came the St Stephen's day storm that moved it. The man they sent was the one I knew from West Cork and since then it has not faltered. I have else absolutely no complaints re Digiweb service. Up here we are among mountains and tall trees and there is no other viable way to get internet. I tried many ways and since digiweb am fine. Excellent service. The westerlies here are in a wind tunnel effect between the two storey house and the huge trees very near and the force is unspeakable. Dreading this one thus. The man who owns the trees refuses to lop or remove them and they are really dangerous in a direct southerly.

Someone on a forum was asking re the name Imogen. This is what Wikipaedia says.. Imogen /ˈɪmədʒən/, or Imogene, is a female given name. It is thought (but not confirmed) to have originated as a misspelling or variation of the name Innogen, from the Old Irish Ingen meaning "maiden" or "girl".

The wind up here is ferocious and the roof is creaking but the met ie site says " fresh" although the gale warning says " today." Assuming there is going to be no let up and this will simply merge into Imogen? Worse here already than the last one by far. South Kerry mountains 400 asl.. ah they just changed it to "Strong".. quite right too but a whole night of this and worse ahead?

• Registered Users Posts: 332 ✭✭howlinwolf

I for one am really missing the likes of maq, weathercheck and others who would usually update us regularly with models and graphs to let us know how the storm was unfolding. Very quiet in here for a level 2 (Kerry,cork) event. I can only assume some people are still having issues after the ddos attack. :(

Average wind speeds on the HIRLAM , Kerry coast to get the brunt of it, right on the nose.

gDnH7eX.png

Average wind speeds on the HIRLAM , Kerry coast to get the brunt of it, right on the nose.

gDnH7eX.png

Oh gee! Just as I thought.. bad feeling about this one and closing down soon. Is as bad already as the last one was at its worst and much colder. Be back later if I can but need to try to get SOME sleep .... Stay safe everyone...

• Registered Users Posts: 1,542 ✭✭✭Tactical

Take care Grace, will be awaiting your update to know you're safe and well.

Look forward to your description of how things unfold in the Kingdom.

• Registered Users Posts: 74 ✭✭budweiser6

Me too it wouldn't be winter without graces7 entertaining comments

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 332 ✭✭howlinwolf

I know this isn't exactly the correct thread to be asking, but does anyone know if maq and others are posting on net weather or other weather forums because they cant connect here?

Advertisement