Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Storm Imogen - Feb 07/08-Strong Winds/High Seas for Southern Areas

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 18,112 ✭✭✭✭JCX BXC

Fairly Blustery here in West Clare. Some Very heavy showers since 2pm. Moonsoon type rain at times.

I must be the only person left on the fourm who likes the continuous Atlantic storms!
    Nice and relaxing for a day in on a Sunday!

howlinwolf wrote: »
    I know this isn't exactly the correct thread to be asking, but does anyone know if maq and others are posting on net weather or other weather forums because they cant connect here?

Don't think there is a correct thread on Boards.ie to ask about their competitors :D

Not as far as I know of anyway.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,505 ✭✭✭✭Xenji

Currently biblical rain in Castlebar.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,542 ✭✭✭Tactical

Carnacalla wrote: »
    Fairly Blustery here in West Clare. Some Very heavy showers since 2pm. Moonsoon type rain at times.

I must be the only person left on the fourm who likes the continuous Atlantic storms!

Nope !

I love them too. The wilder the better :)

Getting out during a decent weather event really opens your eyes to the awesome power of Mother Nature....

• Registered Users Posts: 12,778 ✭✭✭✭ninebeanrows

Turning stormy in south from around midnight. Quite a sharp north-south divide in wind-speeds, however, i expect the northern extent of the strong swathe of winds to push a further 20-30miles further north by time of arrival.

Winds will really start ramping up from midnight, peaking around 4am, but staying very strong through tomorrow morning and early afternoon, with the strong winds transferring north.

Widespread inland gusts in the southern swathe from 100-110km/hr for 6 hours or more.

Coastal gusts to 130km/hr, perhaps going stronger for a time around 4am. Valentia and Sherkin will be key obs sites to monitor.

This is the 6z WRF for 4am. 12z should be out in a couple of hours.

nmmuk-11-22-0.png?07-12

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 12,778 ✭✭✭✭ninebeanrows

I think Graces7 will be getting a real storm event, the worst of the season.

• Registered Users Posts: 332 ✭✭howlinwolf

http://www.met.ie/weathermaps/WEB_sat_ir_eur.jpg

it looks like the eye of sauren is heading for us :)

• Registered Users Posts: 6,143 ✭✭✭munsterlegend

Stormy enough down here in the south west already

I have family and friends in the Kingdom so will be getting live updates from them. Some sre in nice exposed locations for this event :) I'd love to be able to head down to them for this event.

• Registered Users Posts: 144 ✭✭wonder88

Not often you see Spanish and French fishing boats coming in to shelter on Galway Bay in recent years, but 4 came in last night and are just off the Aran Islands. They must be expecting a bad storm. Rain has stopped now here, but wind is strong enough.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,164 ✭✭✭lottpaul

Here on the edge of Dingle Bay the wind and rain are already pretty fierce. Am not looking forward to tonight and especially to a clean up tomorrow morning. :(
    Sounds like we should charge all batteries etc too and get out the little gas cooker just in case. These storms can sound exciting from a distance but when you can hear your roof rattling and the trees creaking it's not as pleasant.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,434 ✭✭✭northgirl

It's lovely on a Sunday but it's the going to work on Monday morning and getting saturated I could do without! :D

• Registered Users Posts: 300 ✭✭power101

High tides are at 6:30am Monday morning at the same time as this large incoming storm swell. Likely to be some severe coastal flooding

WXpzTuk.gif

Last count seen 14 fishing vessels sheltering in Bantry Bay and a handful leeward of the Aran Islands

northgirl wrote: »
    It's lovely on a Sunday but it's the going to work on Monday morning and getting saturated I could do without! :D

No such thing as bad weather, just a bad choice of clothing ;):)

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 31,117 ✭✭✭✭snubbleste

Tactical wrote: »
    No such thing as bad weather, just a bad choice of clothing ;):)
    I'll inform homeless persons next time I see them

• Registered Users Posts: 300 ✭✭power101

Large waves coming up Shannon in Limerick city. About 30cm from edge now with some waves overtopping. Over an hour until hide tide so some sort of flooding very likely

• Registered Users Posts: 2,739 ✭✭✭Pelvis Parsley

Yeah, it's great until you have to go out in it to deal with damage, are trying to work the land or are unfortunate enough to be stuck on the streets.

These little fits of excitement every time the weather turns bad always sat badly with me.

Yeah, it's great until you have to go out in it to deal with damage, are trying to work the land or are unfortunate enough to be stuck on the streets.

These little fits of excitement every time the weather turns bad always sat badly with me.

Apologies for me getting excited about my interest.
    I will move to North Korea now and lose my personality.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 11,827 Mod ✭✭✭✭Meteorite58

I think we will see more counties brought into the weather warnings. Still seeing that very strong swathe of wind around 03.00- 05.00 onto the West Kerry coast.

During the night but still that in my eyes is a Red warning for Kerry nonetheless. Winds gusting 130+ for a few hours.

12Z GFS

hqSAl3z.gif

• Advertisement

Apologies for me getting excited about my interest.
    I will move to North Korea now and lose my personality.

Whatever gets you through the night. Just don't come back cribbing and moaning when your light goes out, your road is blocked or your field flooded.

And think of those who do have to deal with it.

Whatever gets you through the night. Just don't come back cribbing and moaning when your light goes out, your road is blocked or your field flooded.

And think of those who do have to deal with it.

Why? Because you don't like my opinion? Because it's not yours?

Talk about OTT, we are not wishing the death of people, or millions of euros worth of damage. The storm is happening whether you like it, or not! I may as well take an interest in it's development!

Same crap every year!

• Registered Users Posts: 356 ✭✭Strangegravy

At the end of the day it's still just weather, and it's still going to happen whether people get excited about it or not. Some people love extreme weather, some hate it. No one ever wants any damage or loss of life from these events.

I think the excitement comes from being in awe of nature's destructive power, and the realisation that we're pretty much powerless if she wants to have a massive hissy fit every now and again.

5pm TAF's out (Aviation Weather forecast):

Cork Airport 2am-10am temporary 37kts Gusting 55kts
    Shannon Airport 6am-10am temporary 35kts Gusting 57kts.

I get your point, Strangegravy, as I do the interest in (un)usual weather patterns. They are coming our way regardless.

What leaves a bad taste with me is when you see cossetted eejits who don't have to deal with the fallout posting up (mostly on Facebook rather than here admittedly) their hopes and desires that this will be the BIG one, without a thought for the general public, and the misery they experience as a result.

That's totally different to folk taking a keen interest in the development of such systems, the expertise and guidance of whom is the reason I'm here.

Thanks for the reasoned and balanced response though, it's appreciated:)

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 11,827 Mod ✭✭✭✭Meteorite58

cIbJ3Vx.png

:eek:

• Registered Users Posts: 1,492 ✭✭✭Hooter23

Winds gusting in Galway as more heavy showers move in possibly thunderstorms later

That'd be it moving a little further north again.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 13,261 ✭✭✭✭fits

I am not someone who moans constantly about Irish weather. I dont think its so bad most of the time, certainly not where I live in the south east and Id spend a good bit of time outside.

I am utterly utterly fed up with this winter.

Advertisement