Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Ireland vs Wales, Six Nations 2016, Sunday 7th Feb, 2016. KO 3PMGMT

Options
1353637383941»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 13,021 ✭✭✭✭Interested Observer

LorMal wrote: »
    Wtf?? I thanked the post??
    There is a real issue on this forum. Question the group think at your peril.
    What is so totally outrageous about not enjoying the kicking game and believing we play better more expansive, attacking rugby when we limit it?
    By all means disagree and point out where it has worked effectively. I am no expert and I don't pretend to be. There are few, if any, on here.
    But spare me the superior tone and the sarcasm please.

Your post came across as sarcastic. You didn't engage with a single point I made. If that wasn't your intention then fine, I misunderstood.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,415 ✭✭✭CMOTDibbler

In truth you need players of ability able to run a ball from inside your own lines. The Kearney's don't have that ability. Madigan is too mental to be trusted doing such things. But let's stick with them while toh still runs great lines and continues to score tries (tonight he does it again) and gilroy is shockingly good for ulster. What more proof. Maybe the French game will show the Kearney's up as the wales game showed zebo up. If you are playing rubbish no game is going to make you look better. I feel sorry for Joe with his insistence on experience over form. At least he got stander right. Move on Joe. Make the next steps. Please don't have us cringe at the Kearney's next.
    TOH scored a try against the Dragons. Are you comparing the Newport Gwent Dragons to France? or Wales? The opportunities to break from your own 22 at international level are rare. Defences are too good.

I certainly have not seen one player do it in the first weekend of games in the 6N. Of course it's not just down to the player executing such a move. You require the defence to be asleep or fractured as well (usually on turnover ball).

Having said that, half breaks from the 22 on turnover ball were made by Devin Toner and Tommy O'Donnell. Neither of them are wingers ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 5,971 ✭✭✭Yeah_Right

LorMal wrote: »
    Wtf?? I thanked the post??
    There is a real issue on this forum. Question the group think at your peril.
    What is so totally outrageous about not enjoying the kicking game and believing we play better more expansive, attacking rugby when we limit it?
    By all means disagree and point out where it has worked effectively. I am no expert and I don't pretend to be. There are few, if any, on here.
    But spare me the superior tone and the sarcasm please.

The real issue is people ignoring facts. It's been pointed out numerous times that Ireland kicks less than other teams and the stats have been provided to back this up. But some posters continue to ignore these facts and keep going on about Ireland kicking too much.

This has nothing to do with group think. This is people ignoring facts and pushing their own agenda.

Yeah_Right wrote: »
    The real issue is people ignoring facts. It's been pointed out numerous times that Ireland kicks less than other teams and the stats have been provided to back this up. But some posters continue to ignore these facts and keep going on about Ireland kicking too much.

This has nothing to do with group think. This is people ignoring facts and pushing their own agenda.
    Well actually it is group think. Have a look around at the media and the opinions on facebook and other social media and you'll find plenty of references to this "kicking game" that we employ.

It's the drill down, finer analysis of the "conservative game plan".

• Registered Users Posts: 5,971 ✭✭✭Yeah_Right

Well actually it is group think. Have a look around at the media and the opinions on facebook and other social media and you'll find plenty of references to this "kicking game" that we employ.

It's the drill down, finer analysis of the "conservative game plan".

I agree. There is a group think mentality amongst some media and fans complaining about the kicking game. It's lazy and isn't backed up by analysis. But they cling to it and scream it every chance they get.

The post I quoted referred to group think on this forum and the way I read it, they were referring to posters who support Joe, understand the logic behind the game plan, see the variations from match to match and use stats and facts to support their opinions. To me that's not group think.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 13,021 ✭✭✭✭Interested Observer

We actually ran the ball when it wasn't on at times against Wales. We'd try run from around our own 22 and against a set defence that is madness.

We actually ran the ball when it wasn't on at times against Wales. We'd try run from around our own 22 and against a set defence that is madness.

Yeah, sometimes things seem a bit backwards. Running it out from your line when you haven't shown any evidence that you'll make decent progress against a solid defence. Then, on the flip side, kicking for the corner when you have your opposition moving backwards under pressure.

Guess it's using the element of surprise :D

Basil3 wrote: »
    Yeah, sometimes things seem a bit backwards. Running it out from your line when you haven't shown any evidence that you'll make decent progress against a solid defence. Then, on the flip side, kicking for the corner when you have your opposition moving backwards under pressure.

Guess it's using the element of surprise biggrin.png
    If it's the kick for the corner i'm thinking of*, (a) I don't think the corner was the aim and (b) it worked out quite well in the end anyway.

So everyone surprised including the kicker I'd suggest :D

*If it's not, as you were. ;)

Advertisement