Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Ireland vs Wales, Six Nations 2016, Sunday 7th Feb, 2016. KO 3PMGMT

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 24,745 ✭✭✭✭molloyjh

It looks like literally nothing was learned from the world cup. We are still playing the same turgid rugby (maybe a little bit less of the box kick which could be due to the lack of R.Kearney)

Can't wait for the exact same inquest after the 2019 World Cup.

Yeah I didn't think we actually would see an end to these kind of posts even though I had hoped.

We broke the line 7 times. Wales didn't make a single line break all game. We kicked the ball less than the Welsh did. We ran it from our own 22 a few times.

At the end of the day though there are 2 teams out on the pitch, not just one. And Ireland had to play what was in front of them. The Welsh defensive line was excellent all day. They gave us precious little room to work with and almost never gave us space out wide. Yet we still attacked well and made breaks. I'm so fed up of this relentless negativity from some people. Especially when so much of it is based on so little actual reality.

He's a whole torso taller than Alum Wynn-Jones

• Registered Users Posts: 6,320 ✭✭✭Teferi

molloyjh wrote: »
    Yeah I didn't think we actually would see an end to these kind of posts even though I had hoped.

We broke the line 7 times. Wales didn't make a single line break all game. We kicked the ball less than the Welsh did. We ran it from our own 22 a few times.

At the end of the day though there are 2 teams out on the pitch, not just one. And Ireland had to play what was in front of them. The Welsh defensive line was excellent all day. They gave us precious little room to work with and almost never gave us space out wide. Yet we still attacked well and made breaks. I'm so fed up of this relentless negativity from some people. Especially when so much of it is based on so little actual reality.

Agreed. We ran some interesting lines and tried to offload a bit more. Against other teams I think we would have scored a try or two but the Welsh defence is quite simply insane.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,921 ✭✭✭jacothelad

Teferi wrote: »
    oXHYOY5.png

Dev is actually just that tall all he had to do was lean over.

That of course should have been a penalty to Ireland for deliberate obstruction. Toner was not part of that ruck. It happens all the time and should be penalised but isn't.

• Subscribers Posts: 41,276 ✭✭✭✭sydthebeat

molloyjh wrote: »
    . Especially when so much of it is based on so little actual reality.

this is the salient point

either some posters deliberately post with a bias of negativity or dont understand the fundamentals of the game.

Of all 6 teams this weekend the team with the most invention was ireland. We strung the best back line moves together.. the one where zebo almost took the ball behind him was simply delicious and if it had have stuck it we would have been creaming the move. We have developed a hell of a lot since Joes first 6ns and if posters cant see that i think they should learn more about the game.

if you want to see turgid, go look at england on saturday... one dimensional but effective.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,953 ✭✭✭Deise Vu

A very encouraging performance I thought. Stander was really lively and he almost always delivers quick ball, I was also delighted to see Trimble back, a very under-rated player in my opinion. I would like to see McCloskey and Ringrose at some time during the competition but you couldn't argue with Henshaw and Payne starting even if Payne had a brainfart at the very end.

My main quibble should be easily fixed but we see it time and again. Murray was scragged and at the bottom of a ruck when Jack McGrath arrived on the scene and clearly hadn't got a clue what to do. We see this time and again with Ireland. Is it that players don't know Murray is at the bottom of the ruck or are they really that over-coached in their own position that they don't realise someone else is going to have to play the ball? Sometimes it just slows down an attack but, like yesterday, it more often leads to a turnover and in this case, a penalty that could have lost us the game and has already cost us the chance of a Triple Crown or Grand Slam.

• Administrators Posts: 53,556 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭awec

Deise Vu wrote: »
    A very encouraging performance I thought. Stander was really lively and he almost always delivers quick ball, I was also delighted to see Trimble back, a very under-rated player in my opinion. I would like to see McCloskey and Ringrose at some time during the competition but you couldn't argue with Henshaw and Payne starting even if Payne had a brainfart at the very end.

My main quibble should be easily fixed but we see it time and again. Murray was scragged and at the bottom of a ruck when Jack McGrath arrived on the scene and clearly hadn't got a clue what to do. We see this time and again with Ireland. Is it that players don't know Murray is at the bottom of the ruck or are they really that over-coached in their own position that they don't realise someone else is going to have to play the ball? Sometimes it just slows down an attack but, like yesterday, it more often leads to a turnover and in this case, a penalty that could have lost us the game and has already cost us the chance of a Triple Crown or Grand Slam.

That incident in question was really infuriating from an Ireland point of view. So ponderous.

Pick the ball up, pass it to someone who can kick and hoof it into touch as far down field as possible.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,661 ✭✭✭Crimsonforce

Here is my team for France game..

Kearney
    Trimble
    Payne
    Henshaw
    Zebo
    Sexton
    Murray
    Heaslip
    O'brien
    Stander
    McCarthy
    Toner
    Furlong
    Best
    Healy

The only reason Healy would get the nod is mcgrath can't do another 80 mins so I'd give Healy the first shift of trying trying to rampage though the French defense. He generally tires himself out..

McCarthy to me was solid, no need to swap

Zebo deserves another chance

• Registered Users Posts: 7,415 ✭✭✭CMOTDibbler

Teferi wrote: »
    Agreed. We ran some interesting lines and tried to offload a bit more. Against other teams I think we would have scored a try or two but the Welsh defence is quite simply insane.
    This.

Even England who have a much vaunted defensive record missed 11% of their tackles against Scotland. That includes the fact that they made a lot less tackles than the Welsh did and still missed more.

But this is the same Wales team that made 250 tackles against us last year. That we were able to make seven line breaks against them is some stat.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,079 ✭✭✭Mr.Applepie

Deise Vu wrote: »

McGrath has popped up at SH a number of times for Leinster/Ireland and is more then capable of popping the ball out one. The real problem there was he look shattered and was probably thinking of leaving it there for a few seconds while a pod was setup. Was there anyone ready receive? Also Wales did a great job driving through.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 4,290 ✭✭✭aimee1

Ok fair enough, but was the reduction on box kicks the only thing we have improved on offensively since the world cup?

6 months ago Ireland beat Wales 2nds (and some 3rds) with a mixed team. Yesterday a pretty much full strength wales couldn't beat a similarly under strength Ireland. Halfpenny and Webb would be the only players missing and even then Williams and Davies dont weaken them.

You need to take the half full approach. Its one game after the RWC with 11 players injured and one very important one retired.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,561 ✭✭✭✭MJohnston

That was Heaslip's great turnover wasn't it? The one where Earls got knocked out? At the time I was incredibly frustrated with McGrath there, I think he should have taken it into contact or done something, anything with it, but it was an excruciating wait for him to move. Knowing about Earls though, maybe that put him off a little bit? Hard to tell.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,969 ✭✭✭buck65

Well done Ireland yesterday, so immensely proud of the Munster contribution to this win - Stander, Murray, Earls, Tommy all played out of their skins, Zebo had a bit of a mare. Considering that these guys were written off by everyone this season, their own fans too it is great to see them back driving on the Irish cause.

Heaslip and Trimble were fantastic and Sexton really went beyond himself at times. Ruddock off the bench was terrific too.

Roll on Paris.

I meant draw of course!!! Edit

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,290 ✭✭✭aimee1

buck65 wrote: »
    Well done Ireland yesterday, so immensely proud of the Munster contribution to this win - Stander, Murray, Earls, Tommy all played out of their skins, Zebo had a bit of a mare. Considering that these guys were written off by everyone this season, their own fans too it is great to see them back driving on the Irish cause.

Heaslip and Trimble were fantastic and Sexton really went beyond himself at times. Ruddock off the bench was terrific too.

Roll on Paris.

Win?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,442 ✭✭✭kuang1

aimee1 wrote: »
    Win?

Yes. Anything but would disappoint.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,542 ✭✭✭eoferrall

kuang1 wrote: »
    Yes. Anything but would disappoint.

think the question was in relation to the mention of the win yesterday by the poster, shows the clear command of the sport they have.

also there was no need for the posters munster comment, should be proud of the IRISH team, not the munster contribution.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,887 ✭✭✭✭Riskymove

eoferrall wrote: »
    also there was no need for the posters munster comment, should be proud of the IRISH team, not the munster contribution.

only on these threads is being proud of your club's players viewed as a negative

I think you are being way oversensitive and there is absolutely nothing wrong with expressing the sentiments he did

Sorry of course I mean draw!! Actually I am a longtime season ticket holder with Munster and my family are all involved in coaching/playing rugby at club level. So I do understand the game.
    My point was to express pride in the Munster contribution, these fellas have had a difficult last few months and to pull out a performance like that from a low confidenece baseline was immense.
    I also mentioned Ulster and Leinster players in my post but my point was I thought obvious and noninflammatory.

• Moderators, Arts Moderators Posts: 23,931 Mod ✭✭✭✭TICKLE_ME_ELMO

buck65 wrote: »
    Sorry of course I mean draw!! Actually I am a longtime season ticket holder with Munster and my family are all involved in coaching/playing rugby at club level. So I do understand the game.
    My point was to express pride in the Munster contribution, these fellas have had a difficult last few months and to pull out a performance like that from a low confidenece baseline was immense.
    I also mentioned Ulster and Leinster players in my post but my point was I thought obvious and noninflammatory.

Why do you hate Connacht, buck65? ;)

Why do you hate Connacht, buck65? ;)

Because I was born there!

Henshaw was outstanding of course...

• Advertisement

Do we have any neutrals on the thread? I'd be interested to get an opinion on both Ireland and Wales from an "outsider". Seems to me that the match yesterday was a couple of levels above the two on Saturday.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,789 ✭✭✭Utah_Saint

Do we have any neutrals on the thread? I'd be interested to get an opinion on both Ireland and Wales from an "outsider". Seems to me that the match yesterday was a couple of levels above the two on Saturday.

Awec, Bilston and me? Ulster folk are generally considered outsiders?....no!?

;)

Utah_Saint wrote: »
    Awec, Bilston and me? Ulster folk are generally considered outsiders?....no!?

;)

I'm half Ulster so does that make me a half outsider? In, out, in, out shake it all about.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,789 ✭✭✭Utah_Saint

I'm half Ulster so does that make me a half outsider? In, out, in, out shake it all about.

embrace the dark side....

• Moderators, Arts Moderators Posts: 35,254 Mod ✭✭✭✭pickarooney

What's the actual law on choke tackles becoming rucks? If the ball is not on the ground surely there's no ruck formed and a player who pits his knee down simply has to release the ball, no?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,006 ✭✭✭Moflojo

The British papers (Guardian & Telegraph) in the articles I read referred to the standard of Ireland v Wales as being better than what was served up on Saturday. I didn't see either of the Saturday games so I'll take them at their word.

I'm a Kiwi who already supported Wales before moving to this side of the world....and now have Irish kids. I wouldn't call myself neutral, more confused :pac:

Edit: of course, the AB's is who I support.....Wales were my fav NH team.

• Registered Users Posts: 962 ✭✭✭Scythica

I work over in England, most people here (Devon) thought it was a good game but thought Eng Scot was better.

They also thing Eng will hammer us; and that Mako's pass for the try was the best thing ever. And both us and Wales should lose next week.

Which is surprising as they are normally a bit more objective and conversative believe it or not.

• Registered Users Posts: 962 ✭✭✭Scythica

I work over in England, most people here (Devon) thought it was a good game but thought Eng Scot was better.

They also thing Eng will hammer us; and that Mako's pass for the try was the best thing ever. And both us and Wales should lose next week.

Which is surprising as they are normally a bit more objective and conversative believe it or not.

• Advertisement
  • Subscribers Posts: 41,276 ✭✭✭✭sydthebeat

What's the actual law on choke tackles becoming rucks? If the ball is not on the ground surely there's no ruck formed and a player who pits his knee down simply has to release the ball, no?

equally the tackler(s) have to release

wales had their homework done... and hopefully we will now have a counteraction if our opposition repeat what the did (or didnt do)

Advertisement