Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Ireland vs Wales, Six Nations 2016, Sunday 7th Feb, 2016. KO 3PMGMT

Options
  • 05-02-2016 2:49pm
    Registered Users Posts: 13,010 ✭✭✭✭

Ireland-v-Wales-Rugby-World-Cup.jpg

Live TV on RTE 2 from 2PM and RTE Player, ITV/UTV/STV from 2PM and S4C; HD where available. Live on applicable TV apps/players; Geo Locks may be enforced.

Live Radio on RTE Radio 1, BBC 5 Live Extra, BBC Radio Wales, BBC Radio Cymru and BBC Radio Ulster.

CacmkcrUYAA5380.jpg:large

CaSM3nhWAAA6kj5.jpg

PREVIEW

This Sunday afternoon sees a game which holds a special appeal for me, more than any other game of rugby football.

Why so? Well, my grandmother was born in Wales, in the little village of Menai Bridge. She didn’t live there for very long as her family moved to Ireland when she was young but she was there long enough to have Welsh as her sole tongue and to call it home. As the years passed and Granny Rose grew up, the bond with Wales was never forgotten; over time it rubbed off on my own Mum and eventually onto me as well. Granny is long departed now while Mum is not far from her calling as well; still the love of the Land of our Fathers is very much there in our greater family.

But what has my family tree got to do with Warren and Joe and their renewed spat? A wee bit and do allow me to explain how in a minute…..

Lets be honest, both Ireland and Wales had poor RWC’s but under rather different reasons. In Ireland’s case a soft group draw included wins against Italy and France that ultimately proved Phyrric in nature. On the other hand Wales came out of the Pool of Death having been written off due to an epidemic of injuries to many key players only to be narrowly defeated to South Africa. Similarly, both Union’s home clubs have struggled somewhat in League and Cup in comparison to what’s expected from each other, the bookies odds reflecting same. 

That said it’s not all doom and gloom. Scarlets are the form team in the Pro 12, Ulster are strong in Europe, Connacht are turning heads this season while Leinster are quietly returning to form and with a new breed of talented footballers.

THE TEAMS

On the field of play, the Ireland team are still encountering the run of injuries that has hampered the selection of the optimum starting 15 over the last 2 years yet these didn’t hamper back to back 6N titles. Doubts about Sean O’Brien and Rob Kearney are par for the course these days yet in the likes of Payne, Henshaw, Ruddock, Dave Kearney, Tommy O’Donnell, CJ Stander (Below) and and in form Zebo to call up these holes are swiftly plugged on the day. The tight six selections are a lot easier as indeed are the half backs, a blessing that Joe is surely relieved to have been granted.
    2015-10-09_spo_13534518_I2.JPG

Gatland’s team was named earlier this week and, well, it’s vintage Gatland. Plenty of bluff and big talk from Warren G. There’s a WTF selection in Cardiff’s Tom James (Below) as well as a recall for match day captain Sam Warburton at blindside, a man who’s played but one hour of football since November. Gethin Jenkins is demoted to an experienced bench in favour of Llanelli prop Rob Evans while Alan Wynn Jones is a comforting site for the Welsh in the second row. All in all, it’s a 23 that will want to win a war of attrition.

THE VERDICT

Sunday is likely to be one of two games. Either Wales will want to carry ball in the pack for 80 minutes, to try to kill us with short sharp breakdowns and pick ups to win penalty kicks and make use of scrum ball or Ireland will kick into the space as much as possible to exploit indecisiveness in the Welsh full back line, nurse line outs and make the most out of hard hitting set piece midfield runs from Payne and Henshaw. Even though Wales have more in the way of match winners and on field flair, this time round I’ve less faith in Welsh consistency and more in Irish reliability when it’s needed most. This time round I’m going with a home win in the region of 22-19 and two tries to one.

Whatever way it goes, it will be no Super Saturday, it certainly won’t be pretty, it will be pretty close and as for the spat, well the argument, the making up and the singing afterwards will be sweet, just how one Rose Owen of Menai Bridge would have liked it :)

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 45,433 ✭✭✭✭thomond2006

I will shamelessly re-use this.

icud4.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 12,601 ✭✭✭✭errlloyd

I am not confident, and I am not sure the discussion on this match thread is gonna make me feel much better.

BUT....

It is when I am at my lowest that Joe delivers, and I am desperate here.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,721 ✭✭✭Otacon

I am expecting a loss but hoping desperately for a win.

Please Joe. Please.

Lovely write up.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,536 ✭✭✭former total

Odds have narrowed ever so slightly since the teams were announced. Ireland very marginal favourites.

Yeah I think we'll win.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,328 ✭✭✭Magico Gonzalez

I hope to be wrong but I think this is going to be a very demoralising defeat.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 18,145 Mod ✭✭✭✭CatFromHue

I'd have Ireland as marginal favourites too.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,970 ✭✭✭captbarnacles

I think Wales are going to beat us and a shade cosily. I will be delighted to be very very wrong.

• Registered Users Posts: 37,923 ✭✭✭✭PTH2009

Could it be a close game but Wales could run away with. They should of been in a world cup semi final but lost concentration vs south africa.

Were not the all blacks or the Kilkenny hurlers we have to have bad spells. Its a tough fixture list for us Wales, France and England our first 3 games. This campaign how good Joe really is

• Registered Users Posts: 300 ✭✭the immortals

gilroy mcloskey Jackson anyone?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,415 ✭✭✭CMOTDibbler

I'm not too worried strangely enough. Unlike the last game we played, we've had a lot more time to absorb the injuries and get replacements up to speed.

Nice that we're not the favourites either ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 45,433 ✭✭✭✭thomond2006

PTH2009 wrote: »
    Could it be a close game but Wales could run away with. They should of been in a world cup semi final but lost concentration vs south africa.

Were not the all blacks or the Kilkenny hurlers we have to have bad spells. Its a tough fixture list for us Wales, France and England our first 3 games. This campaign how good Joe really is

Guaranteed win so. Cheers PTH. :)

• Registered Users Posts: 30,308 Mod ✭✭✭✭.ak

I think sob is a massive loss. That pack, particularly the back row, looks a little bleak.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,970 ✭✭✭captbarnacles

Looking at the two teams I'd only take Murray,Best and possibly Earls (I have no clue about their 11) for a combined team.

Looking at the two teams I'd only take Murray,Best and possibly Earls (I have no clue about their 11) for a combined team.

With form as a consideration I take both of their half backs :(

• Registered Users Posts: 7,018 ✭✭✭Bridge93

With form as a consideration I take both of their half backs :(

If we're going by form then Trimble > North, McGrath > Evans, Heaslip > Faletau, Zebo > Anscombe

• Subscribers Posts: 41,118 ✭✭✭✭sydthebeat

so...

when we see zebo fielding deep and running back into heavy traffic... will that EVENTUALLY lay waste to the myth that Rob Kearney cant attack so he takes the low risk option?

• Registered Users Posts: 17,075 ✭✭✭✭vienne86

I'm worried about this match - the injuries are a bummer - but looking forward to Sunday and hope for a good performance.

• Registered Users Posts: 969 ✭✭✭mjp

Would have preferred to see Payne at 15 and Mc closkey in the centre.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,415 ✭✭✭CMOTDibbler

mjp wrote: »
    Would have preferred to see Payne at 15 and Mc closkey in the centre.
    Nope. That would mean playing a 12 for his first cap, a 13 for the first time at 13 and a 15 for the first time at 15 against Wales.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 14,166 Mod ✭✭✭✭Zzippy

sydthebeat wrote: »
    so...

when we see zebo fielding deep and running back into heavy traffic... will that EVENTUALLY lay waste to the myth that Rob Kearney cant attack so he takes the low risk option?

Seriously, you're going to use Zebo in the form he's been in to judge RK? At least if he does that it might stop him offloading to an opponent or passing the ball into touch... ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 17,758 ✭✭✭✭bilston

gilroy mcloskey Jackson anyone?

Yeah you can catch them on BBC2 about 7pm tonight

• Registered Users Posts: 37,923 ✭✭✭✭PTH2009

What's the refs radio frequency for the match ???. Don't want to waste 10 Euro On a ref talk radio when there's a good radio on my phone

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 14,166 Mod ✭✭✭✭Zzippy

What's the refs radio frequency for the match ???. Don't want to waste 10 Euro On a ref talk radio when there's a good radio on my phone

Not sure if it's still the same but a 2-second search found this

• Registered Users Posts: 4,764 ✭✭✭ionadnapokot

Can't see how Ireland can win this game with that pack. We had Sob Poc Pom Ross and Henderson in Cardiff last year.
    Can't even see where we can secure ball against Wales to score a try.
    Wales to win by 10 pts.
    Sick

• Registered Users Posts: 24,189 ✭✭✭✭Buer

I don't think there's so much cause for doom and gloom.

Stander is an unknown at this level and could have a cracking game. I'd expect him to captitalise on the absence of Lydiate as well as not being a marked man yet and wreak havoc in the loose. TOD is going to have a tough game but should be able to make some impact. Our front five, AWJ aside, is as good as theirs and our halfbacks are better.

People seem to be completely ignoring how poor Biggar has been over the past month or so. I fully expect him to step up a level this weekend but for those being pessimistic about Sexton, he comfortably outplayed Biggar when they faced off in Swansea a few weeks ago.

We're at home. It's the first game of the 6N. It's the f*cking Welsh (sorry Penybont). If that can't light some enthusiasm, you're a lost cause.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,758 ✭✭✭✭bilston

Buer wrote: »
    I don't think there's so much cause for doom and gloom.

Stander is an unknown at this level and could have a cracking game. I'd expect him to captitalise on the absence of Lydiate as well as not being a marked man yet and wreak havoc in the loose. TOD is going to have a tough game but should be able to make some impact. Our front five, AWJ aside, is as good as theirs and our halfbacks are better.

People seem to be completely ignoring how poor Biggar has been over the past month or so. I fully expect him to step up a level this weekend but for those being pessimistic about Sexton, he comfortably outplayed Biggar when they faced off in Swansea a few weeks ago.

We're at home. It's the first game of the 6N. It's the f*cking Welsh (sorry Penybont). If that can't light some enthusiasm, you're a lost cause.

Heaslip certainly looked focused in the press conference, either that or he wanted to be anywhere else but there!!

I'm not in the slightest bit concerned about CJ, I reckon he will take to test rugby quite comfortably. Our back row is quite pacy, it isn't bad at all. The tight 5 is my worry, although thinking about it McGrath (currently), Best and Toner are all first choice anyway.

I think we'll put in a performance on Sunday, I'm not convinced it will be enough for the win, but I think we will play well.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,075 ✭✭✭✭vienne86

It's usually 96.0. Thanks for reminding me!

• Registered Users Posts: 37,978 ✭✭✭✭irishbucsfan

I get the feeling we'll see a big big game from Nathan White. Not sure where that feeling is coming from but I just feel he has it in him to give us a memorable day on this stage.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 177 ✭✭The Black Stags

Buer wrote: »

Stander is an unknown at this level and could have a cracking game. I'd expect him to captitalise on the absence of Lydiate as well as not being a marked man yet and wreak havoc in the loose.

I haven't watched much of Munster this season, what is Stander like on the deck - does he get many turnovers? Or is he mainly just a big hitter/ball carrier?

*Quoted Buer but anyone can answer.

Advertisement