Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Ireland vs Wales, Six Nations 2016, Sunday 7th Feb, 2016. KO 3PMGMT

Options

Comments

• Moderators, Arts Moderators Posts: 23,931 Mod ✭✭✭✭TICKLE_ME_ELMO

Its just an argument I don't understand. Years from now o'halloran will be our best fullback. He is our current best fullback. Stander is the best back row player on form. But let's pick Cian Healy, rob Kearney and to what end. Let's select zebo. Its so ludicrous

I'm not making an argument. It's a fact. Looking at who is playing FB in the provinces TOH is the only real option of a long term replacement for Rob K. That's what I'm saying. I'm not saying who should or shouldn't be picked now.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,065 ✭✭✭✭Neil3030

That's Christiaan Johan Stander, James Peter Richard Heaslip and Sean Kevin O'Brien.

And one William Iain Henderson to bring back too!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,536 ✭✭✭case885

Joe did explain how it was the midweek shortnoticeness of Robs withdrawal that had him go with the Zebo option. With a week to France, and given Zebo's characteristically flawed performance today, I expect we will go with another setup. Zeebs still looks like a safe bench though if Earls is out.

If Kearney is out, what is the other "setup" joes going to pick?
    Let me guess, Payne to FB and shuffle the midfield? Not going to happen.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,204 ✭✭✭Billysays no

.ak wrote: »
    TOH is in his hole the best fb in Ireland. Brilliant player but you're absolutely deluded.
    Stander is the best player based on performance. O'halloran the same. Its gass the mention that olding can be fullback, maybe this maybe that. Tiernan not only plays full back, he has the respect of his team so he controls the back line. That's his difference. He doesn't step in, he takes control

• Registered Users Posts: 12,604 ✭✭✭✭errlloyd

People have been talking for weeks about moving Payne to fullback, I think I am the only one who wants Robbie Henshaw to go back to Fullback. This would be in preparation for the inevitable, McCloskey, Ringrose and Henshaw 12,13,15 we will see next year.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 9,257 ✭✭✭Hagz

Why the hell would you want your full-back controlling the back-line??

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 14,166 Mod ✭✭✭✭Zzippy

TOH is in his hole the best fb in Ireland. Brilliant player but you're absolutely deluded.

Kearney is better, Payne is better but not playing there/considered there, TOH has probably been the most in-form this season though in the position. Really should have made the training squad and IMO would have been better than Zebo today.

It's not much to say he's been the most in form in his position considering the only other irish qualified player who's been playing is Andrew Conway. He has been in good form though.

Hagz wrote: »
    Why the hell would you want your full-back controlling the back-line??
    It must be a Connacht thing. Tiernan directs players left and right to cover evident threats. Purely based on respect of his play. I would suspect he would require likewise of his back line if he played for Ireland. He takes no crap at Connacht. He works the back line. He ain't zebo. He is a leader. If you were to ask any player in Connacht then you would understand.

It must be a Connacht thing. Tiernan directs players left and right to cover evident threats. Purely based on respect of his play. I would suspect he would require likewise of his back line if he played for Ireland. He takes no crap at Connacht. He works the back line. He ain't zebo. He is a leader. If you were to ask any player in Connacht then you would understand.

I'd be worried if our FB was running the back line at international level. Quite happy with 9 and/or 10 doing it.

• Advertisement

I'd be worried if our FB was running the back line at international level. Quite happy with 9 and/or 10 doing it.

That is such a worrying concept. You would have a 9 and10 control every aspect of the game. What is the point of a full back (agree we only have the zebo stuff to relate to) today. Tiernan takes no crap from HIS back line. And that's it. He directs, he works it. And that is what a fullback does. Not what we witnessed today. That is what a fullback does, he doesn't spend his time poncing around for the crack.

That is such a worrying concept. You would have a 9 and10 control every aspect of the game. What is the point of a full back (agree we only have the zebo stuff to relate to) today. Tiernan takes no crap from HIS back line. And that's it. He directs, he works it. And that is what a fullback does. Not what we witnessed today.

I don't know if I'm misunderstanding you or the entire concept of rugby..... The 9 and 10 are generally closest to the breakdown and usually have the ball at the start of each phase so yes, it makes perfect sense for one or both to control every aspect of play, or at least the backs.

What's the point of a FB? To be at the back usually.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,093 ✭✭✭Brewster

Murray needlessly kicked the ball out on the full when under no pressure. From resulting lineout, which was from where Murray kicked it out, earls was penalised and Wales got 3 points. Just watching game again, it's fine margins at times. Really so fine. If kick stays in play, that phase probably doesn't happen and no penalty. Not hanging Murray out to dry, but just making point.

Brewster wrote: »
    Murray needlessly kicked the ball out on the full when under no pressure. From resulting lineout, which was from where Murray kicked it out, earls was penalised and Wales got 3 points. Just watching game again, it's fine margins at times. Really so fine. If kick stays in play, that phase probably doesn't happen and no penalty. Not hanging Murray out to dry, but just making point.

Stander going for that try near the start when maybe a few more phases would have set up a better opportunity.

You can't really know what would have happened if these moments played out differently though. Someone else could make a mistake on the next phase that results in a try being conceded rather than 3 points. Unless it's something glaringly obvious like when Madigan tried a long pass against Toulon last year.

I don't know if I'm misunderstanding you or the entire concept of rugby..... The 9 and 10 are generally closest to the breakdown and usually have the ball at the start of each phase so yes, it makes perfect sense for one or both to control every aspect of play, or at least the backs.

What's the point of a FB? To be at the back usually.
    As the play develops the full back (being the last line of defense) arranges the play for that line of defense. Are you telling me he has no function. You must have being watching Kearney for too long. God another Joe. Zebo will be fine.

Stander going for that try near the start when maybe a few more phases would have set up a better opportunity.

You can't really know what would have happened if these moments played out differently though. Someone else could make a mistake on the next phase that results in a try being conceded rather than 3 points. Unless it's something glaringly obvious like when Madigan tried a long pass against Toulon last year.

It was a really bad error by Murray Tickle, his box kicking is usually spot on, but at this level mistakes like this can get punished. I'm not making a huge deal of it, it was unlucky that Wales got penalty and 3 points off next phase of play.

Brewster wrote: »
    It was a really bad error by Murray Tickle, his box kicking is usually spot on, but at this level mistakes like this can get punished. I'm not making a huge deal of it, it was unlucky that Wales got penalty and 3 points off next phase of play.

I know, I'm just saying you can't really know what the outcome would be if the mistake didn't happen. Best way to avoid that question though is to not make the mistakes :)

As the play develops the full back (being the last line of defense) arranges the play for that line of defense. Are you telling me he has no function. You must have being watching Kearney for too long. God another Joe. Zebo will be fine.

I didn't say he had no function. I genuinely can't tell if you're being serious with this now.

Anyway we have r and d Kearney to save us next weekend. Think we should drop stander. He is obviously too good

I know, I'm just saying you can't really know what the outcome would be if the mistake didn't happen. Best way to avoid that question though is to not make the mistakes :)

Absolutely, on 2nd half now, twice in first ten minutes we turned over ball close to their line, once by White and once by Stander. We really didn't get as close to line for rest of half I recall. We needed to build pressure here and try to force the mistake.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 177 ✭✭The Black Stags

How does a fullback arrange anything at international level when it is so bloody noisy in a stadium you'd have to be yelling in someones ear to be heard.

He'd have to be constantly out of position to organize everyone else.

Motions. Pity, ye guys have never seen the concept

• Closed Accounts Posts: 824 ✭✭✭sheep?

I think Bazzo might be drunk, or he really loved the few 11 posts. :P

Thinking back on it, fair play to Sexton for hitting that last penalty, especially carrying that knock.

sheep? wrote: »
    I think Bazzo might be drunk, or he really loved the few 11 posts. :P

Thinking back on it, fair play to Sexton for hitting that last penalty, especially carrying that knock.
    I noticed that as well :-).
    Look I am a pain in the arse but honestly. A full back that does not direct a backline? Tiernan, it seems you need to show them how to play fullback.

• Registered Users Posts: 37,978 ✭✭✭✭irishbucsfan

I noticed that as well :-).
    Look I am a pain in the arse but honestly. A full back that does not direct a backline? Tiernan, it seems you need to show them how to play fullback.

He communicates with the other members of the back 3, it's entirely common and nothing at all unordinary.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,214 ✭✭✭ClanofLams

I wouldn't say he's the best full back in Ireland although I wouldn't be as dismissive as the above to the notion. He's a better full back than Zebo though.

O'Halloran is nothing more than a decent player enjoying a good run of form. He's never going to be a starter for Ireland and shouldn't expect to get more than 10 caps over the course of his career. That's the reality of the situation.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,791 ✭✭✭✭mfceiling

"Hi Connacht player"

"Hi"

"What's the story with TOH?"

"He's a leader"

"Ah lovely, now I understand"

• Registered Users Posts: 1,692 ✭✭✭flangemeistro

I don't have the time to read back through 88 pages of this but has anyone pointed out how Warburton absolutely steamrolled through Toner with no momentum behind him which let him through to McGrath which then led to Wales being getting 3 points.

I've never seen an international lock being so overpowered and humiliated.

Christ we're missing Henderson and O'Connell.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 24,745 ✭✭✭✭molloyjh

I didn't say he had no function. I genuinely can't tell if you're being serious with this now.

Well he's calling you "another Joe" so I'd just take the compliment and move on.

Advertisement