Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

General Election 2016 Galway West

Options

Comments

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 31,117 ✭✭✭✭snubbleste

There was a voice of him on the rte site. Rough summary, my politics, my way.
    Like Frankfurts way or Labours way? :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 29,930 ✭✭✭✭TerrorFirmer

That's entirely his own business, maybe he had reasoning behind all of this. Calling someone "not well" is entirely ur own opinion but the wrong one unless u have medical evidence to back this claim up.

I didn't realize that every opinion had to be backed up with a professionally advised diagnosis prior to expression.

The man was running for public office to represent Galway West at a national level. I think the public have a right to express an opinion on his wellbeing given that he created a scene over being refused a recount, while ten thousand votes short of the quota.

I suppose you might liken it to someone constantly slandering Galway's local authorities without a shred of evidence to back the claims up.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,470 ✭✭✭Whereisgalway

I suppose you might liken it to someone constantly slandering Galway's local authorities without a shred of evidence to back the claims up.

This thread is abt the general election for Galway west, lets stick on topic

• Registered Users Posts: 3,333 ✭✭✭fergiesfolly

I didn't realize that every opinion had to be backed up with a professionally advised diagnosis prior to expression.

The man was running for public office to represent Galway West at a national level. I think the public have a right to express an opinion on his wellbeing given that he created a scene over being refused a recount, while ten thousand votes short of the quota.

We have absolutely no idea as to his actions. It may have been an elaborate ploy to promote his new sticky cheesy chicken mcLicken restaurant down Shop Street next week. He may well be bat **** crazy. We don't know. But until we do, we can't make pronouncements on his mental health. If we could, Michael O'Leary would've been locked up years ago

By the way,
    The Sticky Chessy Chicken McLickin Restaurant is a soon to be registered trademark of the fergiesfolly corporation...
    So back off!!!!

• Advertisement
  • Users Awaiting Email Confirmation Posts: 1,331 ✭✭✭J.pilkington

snubbleste wrote: »

Thanks for sharing, found that an interesting read. Politics can be a cruel profession

• Registered Users Posts: 10,055 ✭✭✭✭thesandeman

My bet is it contains the name of her sister Colette who was a former Councillor prior to losing her seat last time out.

Looks like you are correct. It's a woman she trusts who everybody knows according to the Advertiser.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,029 ✭✭✭Lockstep

Looks like you are correct. It's a woman she trusts who everybody knows according to the Advertiser.

I can't see it being Collette: she's a Labour party member and I really doubt Connolly wants the accusations of nepotism in bringing in her sister as her replacement. The Advertiser just said it's a woman who works for the common good. No mention of it being her sister.

I want names!

• Registered Users Posts: 8,371 ✭✭✭Gadgetman496

Lockstep wrote: »
    I can't see it being Collette: she's a Labour party member and I really doubt Connolly wants the accusations of nepotism in bringing in her sister as her replacement. The Advertiser just said it's a woman who works for the common good. No mention of it being her sister.

We'll know next week eitherway I guess. Maybe her sister will leave Labour now that they are decimated and declare herself independent?

I still think blood is thicker than politics and if you think about it she could use it as a holding card or insurance policy if you will, in the event of an early election, if she were to lose her seat her sister could step down and nominate Catherine in her place? Seat management I say :D

"Everybody is a genius. But if you judge a fish by its ability to climb a tree, it will live its whole life believing that it is stupid."

• Advertisement

We'll know next week eitherway I guess. Maybe her sister will leave Labour now that they are decimated and declare herself independent?

I still think blood is thicker than politics and if you think about it she could use it as a holding card or insurance policy if you will, in the event of an early election, if she were to lose her seat her sister could step down and nominate Catherine in her place? Seat management I say :D

I doubt this will happen: Catherine Connolly is a lot of things but she's not that type of mé féiner. Given how idealistic she is, she'd get a serious drubbing from other parties if she were to nominate someone the electorate has rejected, especially as it's her own sister (allowing parties like Sinn Féin to gleefully point out nepotism)

It could happen but I doubt Connolly would be stupid enough to do this as it's handing a PR coup to her opponents.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 29,930 ✭✭✭✭TerrorFirmer

Collette Connolly has been co-opted and will serve as an independent.

Collette Connolly has been co-opted and will serve as an independent.
    :(
    At least she is vastly experienced and won't just sit there racking up expenses

• Registered Users Posts: 596 ✭✭✭crusier

That's what the healy - Rae's said as well!

Nepotism at its finest

I was wrong. Really didn't think Catherine Connolly would do something like this.
    Co-opting someone rejected by the electorate (and your own sister to boot) isn't something I'd see her as doing.

Lockstep wrote: »
    I was wrong. Really didn't think Catherine Connolly would do something like this.
    Co-opting someone rejected by the electorate (and your own sister to boot) isn't something I'd see her as doing.

It's amazing what lies & promises people make so they can get elected. Hopefully her supporters will remember this next time round. All her posters read "for the common good" she's really let herself down by this. At least whatever government there eventually is it won't last the 5 years so she won't be our representative for too long.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 6,769 Mod ✭✭✭✭nuac

CC has been elected in a difficult competitive constituency.

She is entitled to appoint someone she trusts who knows that area and people.

Her sister is an experienced politician and a good choice

Many other TDs are making similar appointments around the country

Can someone clarify when Collette resigned from Labour?
    Was it in 2014 after she was not re-elected?

nuac wrote: »
    CC has been elected in a difficult competitive constituency.

She is entitled to appoint someone she trust who knows that area and people.

Her sister is an experienced politician and a good choice

Many other TDs are making similar appointments around the country

Along as other TDs are doing it everything will be ok. We shouldn't stand for this and hopefully at the next election people will remember this

She is entitled to appoint whoever she wants but she ran on a election campaign "for the common good" she protrayed that she would all do the right thing, be impartial without greedy, self interest, cronyism or nepotism. She's already forgotten about the people who voted for her treating them little better than presents from her hypocritical high horse

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 6,769 Mod ✭✭✭✭nuac

Along as other TDs are doing it everything will be ok. We shouldn't stand for this and hopefully at the next election people will remember this

She is entitled to appoint whoever she wants but she ran on a election campaign "for the common good" she protrayed that she would all do the right thing, be impartial without greedy, self interest, cronyism or nepotism. She's already forgotten about the people who voted for her treating them little better than presents from her hypocritical high horse

How many people do you know in Galway who have her sister's political experience and are available to work for an uncertain period?

• Users Awaiting Email Confirmation Posts: 1,331 ✭✭✭J.pilkington

How many people do you know in Galway who have her sister's political experience and are available to work for an uncertain period?

The people of Galway deemed her experience (how is this defined?) not worthy of a council seat the last time they were asked.

How many people do you know are available to work for an uncertain period?

I know lots of qualified people who'd love a cushie number in city hall

I don't think an outgoing councillor should have any say in who replaces them on the council.
    It should go to the unelected candidate from her ward, with the most votes, from the last local election.
    At least its a more democratoc method.
    She's let herself down with this appointment.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,331 ✭✭✭✭ArmaniJeanss

I don't think an outgoing councillor should have any say in who replaces them on the council.
    It should go to the unelected candidate from her ward, with the most votes, from the last local election.

That's really not ideal as it can unfairly affect the balance of the council - e.g., in a 9 seat council say the people voted 5 centrist/right candidates and 4 AAAPBP candidates, with another AAAPBP candidate in 10th place.
    So the people (by a small majority) voted for a centrist council, but if one of those 5 centreist councillors has to vacate their seat then under your proposal there'd immediately be a hardleft majority.

That's really not ideal as it can unfairly affect the balance of the council - e.g., in a 9 seat council say the people voted 5 centrist/right candidates and 4 AAAPBP candidates, with another AAAPBP candidate in 10th place.
    So the people (by a small majority) voted for a centrist council, but if one of those 5 centreist councillors has to vacate their seat then under your proposal there'd immediately be a hardleft majority.

So what if it effects the balance. Elected bodies are formed from the candidates elected by the people. Nobody knows beforehand the make-up of that body. Only allowing on people who toe the line with the majority would undermine the value of elected government.
    At least with my method, there is a more democratic outcome.

So what if it effects the balance. Elected bodies are formed from the candidates elected by the people. Nobody knows beforehand the make-up of that body. Only allowing on people who toe the line with the majority would undermine the value of elected government.
    At least with my method, there is a more democratic outcome.
    It isn't more democratic - someone who wasn't successful gets picked because of an unrelated person leaving.
    Nominating a replacement works for European elections. If this was transparent it would be efficient in this situation too.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,259 ✭✭✭Unrealistic

It isn't more democratic - someone who wasn't successful gets picked because of an unrelated person leaving.
    Nominating a replacement works for European elections. If this was transparent it would be efficient in this situation too.
    Agreed. If each candidate had to publicly nominate their own list of potential replacements prior to their own election that would be the least worst option.

But an outgoing member can nominate anyone to their seat, when it's not theirs to give away. It belongs to the electorate. It shouldn't matter whether it's public knowledge or not. Just shouldn't happen
    Collette Connolly didn't even stand in the same ward as Catherine, so she's never put herself up before the people who she'll be representing.
    The last person eliminated in the West ward during the last local election should be offered the seat.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 13,331 ✭✭✭✭ArmaniJeanss

The last person eliminated in the West ward during the last local election should be offered the seat.

You keeping on saying this won't suddenly stop it being a bad idea.
    If say a Sinn Fein candidate is the one who has to hand over the seat, and the next in line is someone opposed to every Sinn Fein policy, then you are effectively disenfranchising those who voted for the original winner.

This co-opting of candidates isn't great, but its far superior to your alternative. (Co-opting does need some tweaks though).

Advertisement