Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

General Election 2016 Galway West

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,922 ✭✭✭beardybrewer

So has everyone who was signed up for Irish Water cancelled their direct debit mandates?

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 31,117 ✭✭✭✭snubbleste

Oh, puke. You got fired, get over it.
    How Labour’s Derek Nolan feels after losing the election

• Registered Users Posts: 10,058 ✭✭✭✭thesandeman

I wonder who will be co-opted to Catherine's seat on the City Council? I think it has to be another independent.

I wonder who will be co-opted to Catherine's seat on the City Council? I think it has to be another independent.
    Dunno, I already asked on thread.
    Does Catherine have a deputy, so to speak?

• Registered Users Posts: 8,371 ✭✭✭Gadgetman496

snubbleste wrote: »
    Dunno, I already asked on thread.
    Does Catherine have a deputy, so to speak?

All Councillors have to submit an envelope containing the name of someone they wish to nominate to replace them in the event something happens to them. Catherine would have had to do that from the time she was elected to the Council just like all the others.

She has this done (she mentioned it on GBFM the Monday after the general election).

My bet is it contains the name of her sister Colette who was a former Councillor prior to losing her seat last time out.

"Everybody is a genius. But if you judge a fish by its ability to climb a tree, it will live its whole life believing that it is stupid."

• Advertisement

But Colette is Labour. I think they have to replace like with like.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,477 ✭✭✭youngrun

Good article. Hopefully he will land on his feet. politics is no bed of roses.

But Colette is Labour. I think they have to replace like with like.

I'm not sure if that's the case.

The rules state the following.
    If a councillor dies, resigns or becomes disqualified from being a member of the council, the vacancy is filled by co-option. The political party who originally nominated the member who caused the vacancy nominates a new member and the council then passes a resolution to appoint the new member.

As Catherine was elected as an independent there is no party as such and it doesn't seem to specify that the nominee has to be from the same party?

"Everybody is a genius. But if you judge a fish by its ability to climb a tree, it will live its whole life believing that it is stupid."

True. I'm trying to think if this situation happened before but I can't.

• Users Awaiting Email Confirmation Posts: 976 ✭✭✭beach_walker

Oh boo-hoo, "Naive in thinking that we would be thanked for it and foolish for thinking that facts, reason and rational discussion would convince people of our virtue." Spare us the self-righteous diatribe, the public judged ye as doing a bad job and acted accordingly.

Half of the clowns telling us about the "need for Labour's influence now more than ever" were the same crowd plastering 'Gilmore for Taoiseach' posters around the city and wetting themselves at the demise of other smaller parties in recent times.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 9,029 ✭✭✭Lockstep

Council seats are deemed to belong to the party and not the candidate so the party chooses the replacement. Independents are a weird one though: according to this , independents can nominate anyone "regardless of political stripe or experience".

I doubt Connolly will nominate a Labour party member though, especially not her sister. She'd get crucified for this.
    Maybe a high profile independent or someone like O'Tuathail.

Lockstep wrote: »
    .. Maybe a high profile independent or someone like O'Tuathail.
    But who?

I was going to suggest an anti water charge person but that's not going to be an issue anymore.

I want names!

Only person I can think of would be Mike Geraghty or perhaps cormacocorcorain.com,

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 14,166 Mod ✭✭✭✭Zzippy

Much as I'd like to see O'Tuathail get it, I don't think CC would nominate a political rival whose increased profile as a member of the council could increase his vote at the next general election and threaten her own seat.

It can be anyone so it doesn't necessarily have to be anyone currently prominent in political circles.

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 10,560 Mod ✭✭✭✭Robbo

It can be anyone so it doesn't necessarily have to be anyone currently prominent in political circles.
    Fidelma?

Practically someone involved in her campaign will probably be nominated - to help with local issues and keep the profile up.

Robbo wrote: »
    Fidelma?
    Wash yer mouth out!

• Advertisement

Only person I can think of would be Mike Geraghty or perhaps cormacocorcorain.com,

Doubt she'd pick an ex PD like Geraghty and IIRC, O Corcorain is a hardcore pro lifer.

Zzippy wrote: »
    Much as I'd like to see O'Tuathail get it, I don't think CC would nominate a political rival whose increased profile as a member of the council could increase his vote at the next general election and threaten her own seat.

You're right of course. He's too much of a threat for the left wing city vote.

I genuinely can't think of who she might pick.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,301 ✭✭✭gordongekko

Give it to the lad that got 20 odd votes in the election.

^
    Anybody know what he was campaigning (if it could be called that) for? I tried googling him but couldn't even find him.

^
    Anybody know what he was campaigning (if it could be called that) for? I tried googling him but couldn't even find him.
    You should've searched this thread, you'll find the answer http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showpost.php?p=98786368&postcount=74

• Closed Accounts Posts: 29,930 ✭✭✭✭TerrorFirmer

^

The man is clearly not well.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,470 ✭✭✭Whereisgalway

The man is clearly not well.

Are you a doctor?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 29,930 ✭✭✭✭TerrorFirmer

Are you a doctor?

The man wanted a full recount after getting 22 votes, somewhat sort of the quota of 10,712.

He also made a scene at the count center over this.

I don't think you need to be a doctor to see that the man is not well to some degree.

• Registered Users Posts: 25,782 ✭✭✭✭Mrs OBumble

^

There was a voice of him on the rte site. Rough summary, my politics, my way.

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,470 ✭✭✭Whereisgalway

The man wanted a full recount after getting 22 votes, somewhat sort of the quota of 10,712.

He also made a scene at the count center over this.

I don't think you need to be a doctor to see that the man is not well to some degree.

That's entirely his own business, maybe he had reasoning behind all of this. Calling someone "not well" is entirely ur own opinion but the wrong one unless u have medical evidence to back this claim up.

Advertisement