Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

General Election 2016 Galway West

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,816 ✭✭✭Baggy Trousers

Zzippy wrote: »
    It's not hard to figure out - how many current TDs are from Galway city and standing for re-election?

Ah Walsh is gone so it must be Nolan. I personally think Nolan hasn't a hope.

snubbleste wrote: »
    Traffic, traffic, housing, health

And the Superquango!

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 31,117 ✭✭✭✭snubbleste

If Catherine Connolly gets elected, who is nominated to replace her on the Council?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,336 ✭✭✭fergiesfolly

If Catherine Connolly gets elected, who is nominated to replace her on the Council?

Don't know, but you just know FHE will try and co-opt herself onto it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 108 ✭✭saltsun

I find it easier to rule out who to vote for in this election, rather than being able to find someone I want to vote for. Some pundit said in the last fortnight that voters don't always go to the polls to elect someone, sometimes they go to vote someone out. Seems to be the direction I am headed. Ruled out another 4 or 5 candidates after listening to GBFM podcast from last night I think it was.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 6,769 Mod ✭✭✭✭nuac

Damn I will miss this, I have a date!
    Let me know how they get on.

And you let us know how your date goes.

We are very discreet here. Won't tell anyone. Cross our hearts etc

Newstalk have revised their constituency prediction. Now
    Kyne, Cuív Ó, Grealish, Connolly, Ó Clochartaigh

Kyne, Cuív Ó, Grealish, Connolly, Ó Clochartaigh

Yeah that's how I predicted it earlier. He also gave O'Tuathail an outside chance. I might give him my #1.

Kyne, Cuív Ó, Grealish, Connolly, Clochartaigh Ó

FYP :D

Cuiv Ó to top the poll.

I wonder would Gerry "1+1=15 & 3/4's" Adams SOR interview have hurt Clochartaigh Ó's chances. While I largely agree with NT prediction I'm not fully 100% convinced who is going to win that last seat. 8 days is a long time.

• Registered Users Posts: 25,783 ✭✭✭✭Mrs OBumble

Yeah that's how I predicted it earlier. He also gave O'Tuathail an outside chance. I might give him my #1.

Anyone know where I would see O'Tuathail speak? I wouldn't usually vote for a small potentially loopy party, but a lot of their policy priorities make sense to me. Would like to assess the man, to see whether the mean things which his picture makes me think are justified.

• Advertisement

Anyone know where I would see O'Tuathail speak? I wouldn't usually vote for a small potentially loopy party, but a lot of their policy priorities make sense to me. Would like to assess the man, to see whether the mean things which his picture makes me think are justified.

I'm not a member of any party or a cheerleader of any party but it's looking likely from a process of elimination that O'Tuathail will get my No.1. I don't know where you can see him speak, maybe make contact with Galway SocDems, or O'Tuathail himself and ask?

I haven't met him, but I have been in contact with him, or rather he contacted me to learn about my particular sector within my industry. I put him in contact with a third party who briefed him on that situation.

In an unplanned event I had an opportunity to pose 2 questions to a panel of candidates regarding that industry. O'Tuathail absolutely nailed the topics, much better than another candidate who has in fairness to him been dealing with that for years.

Why does that matter?

Because it tells me that he is intelligent enough to seek out information, receive and understand a (no doubt as I know who gave it) comprehensive briefing, actually listen, retain that information and recall it when needed.

That impressed me. (Actually the person who briefed him was impressed by him in person, but I wasn't there so..)

Others, actually involved in that industry, have received similar briefings and regurgitated either a vacant look or a stock answer unrelated to the question.

Detail is important.

• Registered Users Posts: 188 ✭✭elguapo

saltsun wrote: »
    I'm not a member of any party or a cheerleader of any party but it's looking likely from a process of elimination that O'Tuathail will get my No.1. I don't know where you can see him speak, maybe make contact with Galway SocDems, or O'Tuathail himself and ask?

I haven't met him, but I have been in contact with him, or rather he contacted me to learn about my particular sector within my industry. I put him in contact with a third party who briefed him on that situation.

In an unplanned event I had an opportunity to pose 2 questions to a panel of candidates regarding that industry. O'Tuathail absolutely nailed the topics, much better than another candidate who has in fairness to him been dealing with that for years.

Why does that matter?

Because it tells me that he is intelligent enough to seek out information, receive and understand a (no doubt as I know who gave it) comprehensive briefing, actually listen, retain that information and recall it when needed.

That impressed me. (Actually the person who briefed him was impressed by him in person, but I wasn't there so..)

Others, actually involved in that industry, have received similar briefings and regurgitated either a vacant look or a stock answer unrelated to the question.

Detail is important.

Like you, not a member of any party, but very impressed with Soc Dems. A canvasser of O'Tuathail's called to our door last night, and I was actually taken aback at the level of detail in his answers to my questions. He's getting my Number 1, and if the canvassing is at that level in general, he could do very well, although winning a seat might be a bit too much of a stretch.

Late Entry!
    https://twitter.com/pfeeney2016

That's 21 in the running.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,955 ✭✭✭_Whimsical_

Radio1 have a seven-way debate coming up in Galway

When is this going to be ? Or have I missed it but maybe it'll be on podcast?

This is very much an idiots guide to who you might be interested in voting for based on a 3 minute questionaire : http://www.smartvote.ie/. However some of the lesser known canditates have answered questions on all the topics covered that you can read at the end and it's handy to have several very short answers on a wide range of subjects for canditates you'll hear little of.

O'Thuathail provided some decent answers I thought in it.

Very bright guy from all accounts. Gaining serious traction. Could be well worth an outside bet.

• Registered Users Posts: 164 ✭✭FrPhelimYoung

This is very much an idiots guide to who you might be interested in voting for based on a 3 minute questionaire : http://www.smartvote.ie/. However some of the lesser known canditates have answered questions on all the topics covered that you can read at the end and it's handy to have several very short answers on a wide range of subjects for canditates you'll hear little of. O'Thuathail provided some decent answers I thought in it.

I've just looked at O'Thuathail's responses......he hasn't actually responded to any of the questions. Any answers applied to his name are referenced as "Niall O'Thuathaill hasn't answered this question yet so we've used their party line". The party or NoT have expressed a preference for certain issues in the site poll which has the site stating "neither the candidate or party have provided their reasoning".

It looks to me that O'Thuathaill hasn't engaged with the smartvote.oe site at all really

I've just looked at O'Thuathail's responses......he hasn't actually responded to any of the questions. Any answers applied to his name are referenced as "Niall O'Thuathaill hasn't answered this question yet so we've used their party line". The party or NoT have expressed a preference for certain issues in the site poll which has the site stating "neither the candidate or party have provided their reasoning".

It looks to me that O'Thuathaill hasn't engaged with the smartvote.oe site at all really

You're right, I was mistaken, sorry about that. I read so much yesterday that I got confused, I'll try and find the link I read and fix yesterdays post.

There's a short video of O'Thuathaill here laying out his priorities,but not much detail. I wouldn't be overly enamoured of his idea of an Irish NHS though.
    http://www.rte.ie/news/election-2016/candidates/754372-niall-o-tuathail/

All Galway West hopefulls have a one min video here too
    http://www.rte.ie/news/election-2016/constituencies/galway-west/

I have to say I'm still not sure myself. On a matter of personal experience I did write to Eamonn O'Cuiv during the summer about the treatment of a disabled person on a program they were both featured on. I was impressed that he replied very quickly with a long and involved email explaining what had happened and where he stood on the issues raised, his response was a good mix of local and national politics. On that basis I'll consider him.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 14,166 Mod ✭✭✭✭Zzippy

You're right, I was mistaken, sorry about that. I read so much yesterday that I got confused, I'll try and find the link I read and fix yesterdays post.

There's a short video of O'Thuathaill here laying out his priorities,but not much detail. I wouldn't be overly enamoured of his idea of an Irish NHS though.
    http://www.rte.ie/news/election-2016/candidates/754372-niall-o-tuathail/

All Galway West hopefulls have a one min video here too
    http://www.rte.ie/news/election-2016/constituencies/galway-west/

I have to say I'm still not sure myself. On a matter of personal experience I did write to Eamonn O'Cuiv during the summer about the treatment of a disabled person on a program they were both featured on. I was impressed that he replied very quickly with a long and involved email explaining what had happened and where he stood on the issues raised, his response was a good mix of local and national politics. On that basis I'll consider him.

I also wrote to all the Galway West sitting TDs about a disability/access to medicines issue. Noel Grealish was the only one who even acknowledged my letter. He followed up with a letter to the minister responsible and copied me with the reply. On that basis I won't be considering any of the other sitting TDs. That's not to say I'll vote for Grealish, but he will probably get a preference ahead of any of the others.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,922 ✭✭✭beardybrewer

Anahita wrote: »
    I'm very new to politics so I have a very possibly stupid question but why is Michaél Martin's poster on the way into my estate in Moycullen when he's not even an option on my election ballot paper....

He's the leader of the party so if Fine Gael get enough TDs elected to form a majority coalition he would likely be nominated as the Taoiseach.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Government_of_the_31st_D%C3%A1il
    https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Taoiseach

I've not been canvassed once :(

• Advertisement

I also wrote to all the Galway West sitting TDs about a disability/access to medicines issue. Noel Grealish was the only one who even acknowledged my letter. He followed up with a letter to the minister responsible and copied me with the reply. On that basis I won't be considering any of the other sitting TDs. That's not to say I'll vote for Grealish, but he will probably get a preference ahead of any of the others.

That's disappointing, fair play for writing to all of them. I wrote to others too and got no response,although i didn't try Noel. I wonder if we wrote about the same thing. It's one of those issues I feel really strongly about so it's one thing I've been looking out for in manifestos and interviews,very hard to get exact details however.

Out of curiosity, did you follow up on your letters? The squeaky wheel gets the oil.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 29,930 ✭✭✭✭TerrorFirmer

To be fair to Noel Grealish, he is an absolute work-horse. A friend of mine was having a dreadful time with a problem a few years back and she went to him, the amount of work he put into her case was unbelievable. I wouldn't give him first preference either but he doesn't have an off switch when it comes to stuff like that. That said, I think he has one of the worst attendance records in the Dail. :D

• Registered Users Posts: 1,763 ✭✭✭spurshero

What area u live in snubb

spurshero wrote: »
    What area u live in snubb
    Galway West South Mayo

• Registered Users Posts: 1,763 ✭✭✭spurshero

Galway West South Mayo

Ya but are ya in oranmore Saltill ballinrobe ya know what village or town I mean

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 14,166 Mod ✭✭✭✭Zzippy

saltsun wrote: »
    Out of curiosity, did you follow up on your letters? The squeaky wheel gets the oil.

No, why should I have to chase public representatives who haven't even got the manners to acknowledge correspondence, never mind act on it. It wasn't a personal issue, it was a policy issue that I felt strongly about. I want TDs who will lobby on national issues, not someone to fix the potholes on my road. When a national issue such as HSE refusal to fund essential medicines for certain conditions comes up, that is something that TDs should be able to do something about. Grealish was the only one who cared about doing something and lobbied the minister to that end. Maybe if I'd complained about potholes Kyne et al might have done something. Their inaction has certainly cost any of them a vote here.

• Registered Users Posts: 893 ✭✭✭PLL

I haven't either. I'm in Galway city. Plenty of literature shoved through but no knock on the door.

• Registered Users Posts: 188 ✭✭elguapo

PLL wrote: »
    I haven't either. I'm in Galway city. Plenty of literature shoved through but no knock on the door.

In contrast, have had plenty canvassers calling to the door in Oranmore.
    Mary Hoade, Hildegarde Naughton, Niall O'Tuathail, Catherine Connolly, Fidelma Healy Eames. Just literature from everyone else.

• Advertisement

No, why should I

Because presumably you wanted something done about it. As I said, the squeaky wheel gets the oil. If you do not make yourself into a problem and drive the issue, no one else will do it for you.

Advertisement