Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

General Election 2016 Galway West

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 108 ✭✭saltsun

snubbleste wrote: »
    I've not been canvassed once :(

Me neither, and I am delighted I haven't had my time wasted listening to crap.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 14,166 Mod ✭✭✭✭Zzippy

saltsun wrote: »
    Because presumably you wanted something done about it. As I said, the squeaky wheel gets the oil. If you do not make yourself into a problem and drive the issue, no one else will do it for you.

As it turned out, there were enough representations made from other TDs around the country (incl Noel Grealish) that the change in policy that was looked for happened. Maybe if there had been more resistance to it I would have hassled the TDs further to get a response. If I need to harangue a politician before they will even acknowledge me, that's enough to know I don't want them representing me. As you said, the squeaky wheel gets the oil. The complete silence from the rest of them means they'll get no oil (votes) from me.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 31,117 ✭✭✭✭snubbleste

Zzippy wrote: »
    As it turned out, there were enough representations made from other TDs around the country (incl Noel Grealish) that the change in policy that was looked for happened. Maybe if there had been more resistance to it I would have hassled the TDs further to get a response. If I need to harangue a politician before they will even acknowledge me, that's enough to know I don't want them representing me. As you said, the squeaky wheel gets the oil. The complete silence from the rest of them means they'll get no oil (votes) from me.

That's only useful at election time though. Considering pols are now looking to stretch terms as long as possible regardless of scandals etc. it's my experience one needs to be a constant flea in their ear. One can drive the issues and also remember to forget individuals at election time too.

That's only useful at election time though. Considering pols are now looking to stretch terms as long as possible regardless of scandals etc. it's my experience one needs to be a constant flea in their ear. One can drive the issues and also remember to forget individuals at election time too.

Yes, using my vote is only useful at election time, but it's fairly effective. Politicians should know they owe their continued existence in a well-paid job to actually doing that job i.e. representing their constituents, acknowledging representations, following up. If they can't do their job they won't get a new contract, simple. People are busy and don't have time to be writing letter after letter to someone who has made it obvious by their inaction that they simply don't care.

• Advertisement

Yes, using my vote is only useful at election time, but it's fairly effective. Politicians should know they owe their continued existence in a well-paid job to actually doing that job i.e. representing their constituents, acknowledging representations, following up. If they can't do their job they won't get a new contract, simple. People are busy and don't have time to be writing letter after letter to someone who has made it obvious by their inaction that they simply don't care.

Trouble is there is often enough "couldn't be arsed finding out" type voters to keep bums in seats. I've often had to take days out, never mind time writing online & researching, as well as travel. Often times reps need to be educated first, then driven demented. I see it here with a local woman, keep chipping away at them, but gets stuff done, she'd bloody haunt ya.

So eh, who is putting these up?
    Cb6KCp-W8AEeeaN.jpg:small

TG4 poll saying
    https://twitter.com/Marion508/status/702212949151244288

It's all down to transfers, we may not have a town TD at all!

TG4 poll saying
    Ó Cuív 13%
    Kyne 13%
    O'Mahony 11%
    Ó Clochartaigh 11%
    Connolly C 8%
    Grealish 7%
    Naughton 6%
    Nolan 6%
    Ó Tuathail 6%
    Others 4%
    Others 2%

It's all down to transfers, we may not have a town TD at all!

Promising for O'Tuathail if correct, I'd say he'd be fairly transfer friendly?

O'Mahony at 11%??????????????????????????????????????????????

O'Mahony at 11%??????????????????????????????????????????????
    I know! What's going on there?
    The survey was based on 515 people so it should be fairly representative.
    Sampla 515 duine (18+ bliain) a bhí ag an bpobalbhreith seo a rinne an comhlacht Ipsos MRBI do TG4.

• Advertisement

Sampla 515 duine (18+ bliain) a bhí ag an bpobalbhreith seo a rinne an comhlacht Ipsos MRBI do TG4.

I find it very hard to believe that O'Mahony is on 11% if Cuiv, Ó is on 13%, actually I don't believe it, at all.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,534 ✭✭✭sgthighway

I hope FHE gets in and sorts out all the traffic. It is really bad in Oranmore. I think it is caused by people driving around in circles looking to park cars to support local business.
    378555.jpg

Are candidates allowed to use Dail free post privileges to canvass voters? Received a letter to the house from a candidate in a Dail/Seanad envelope with free postage. Didn't think that kind of thing was permitted...

• Registered Users Posts: 786 ✭✭✭aw

The TG4 poll looks heavily west-weighted. Top 4 are all Connemara/South Mayo area. Did they just ask the locals around the studio?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,816 ✭✭✭Baggy Trousers

It looks like this poll was mainly done in the Gaelteacht or South Mayo!

• Registered Users Posts: 4,212 ✭✭✭ClanofLams

If they only done it in the Gaeltacht O Cuiv would be on about 40%! Agree it's a strange poll though, maybe O'Mahonys past life in GAA even more helpful in Galway than Mayo considering they won Sam twice.

Think I'm gonna go with Niall O'Tuathail, more parties means more ideas and he seems a fairly capable guy.

Derek Nolan for no.2. Like with all coalitions, the smaller party gets all the blame and none of the credit.

Don't believe in Independents at all, bar the rare exception they're generally glorified town councillors who oppose everything but offer no solutions. Grealish typifies this, any controversial issue he avoids like the plague eg. didn't vote on abortion legislation.

I don't agree with everything Catherine Connolly (the rare exception) says but at least she lets you know what she thinks so no.3 to her and no.4 to Sean Kyne, if for no other reason that him being brave enough to go to anti bypass meeting the other week and tell people he was in favour of it whilst the rest tried to be neither in favour or opposed and generally spoofed.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,178 ✭✭✭Fozzie Bear

sgthighway wrote: »
    I hope FHE gets in and sorts out all the traffic. It is really bad in Oranmore. I think it is caused by people driving around in circles looking to park cars to support local business.
    378555.jpg

I seen that yoke attached to a big feck off jeep (parked on double yellow lines) outside Galway Cathedral last Sunday evening coming out of town, along with her Audi, also on double yellow lines.

On my way into town she ran out of petrol in front of me outside the Cathedral. As if the place wasn't bad enough with all the holy joe's going into the Novena she went and plonked her bloody Audi in the middle of the road and all that traffic. A couple of Mass goers had to push her off the road. There is a good metaphor in there somewhere...

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,470 ✭✭✭Whereisgalway

"For the common good" Catherine Connelly
    What does that even mean?
    Terrible slogan, poor candidate

Eh :confused:
    the common good: the benefit or interests of all.
    As in "it is time our elected officials stood up for the common good"

"Keep the recovery going", yeah that's a better one alright. Most people thinking "What f*cking recovery?" would be more apt.

If you base your view of a candidate or party on a 4-word slogan that says a lot more about you than the candidate. Maybe educate yourself about what she stands for, and what she wants to achieve, might be a more intelligent use of your time than "terrible slogan, poor candidate". :rolleyes:

• Advertisement

Are they left over/recycled posters from 2011, she had the same (crap) slogan then too.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,763 ✭✭✭spurshero

I see the Grealish and Nolan supporters are crawling out of the woodwork

spurshero wrote: »
    I see the Grealish and Nolan supporters are crawling out of the woodwork

Yes, because people outlining their experiences with candidates means they are "sipporters crawling out of the woodwork". :rolleyes:

FWIW, I had a good experience with Grealish but he's not my No. 1 or 2 preference, I have no affiliation with him or any other candidate.

• Registered Users Posts: 365 ✭✭tonyhiggins

"Keep the recovery going", yeah that's a better one alright. Most people thinking "What f*cking recovery?" would be more apt.

If you base your view of a candidate or party on a 4-word slogan that says a lot more about you than the candidate. Maybe educate yourself about what she stands for, and what she wants to achieve, might be a more intelligent use of your time than "terrible slogan, poor candidate". :rolleyes:

Fidelma's are the best though. Every time I see her stuff with the slogan "acts on principle", it screams the question: "ehhhh, what principles??" :D

• Registered Users Posts: 596 ✭✭✭crusier

I wonder who the 7000 whingers in south mayo will vote for?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,816 ✭✭✭Baggy Trousers

crusier wrote: »
    I wonder who the 7000 whingers in south mayo will vote for?

You would expect O'Mahony. Then maybe O'Cuiv. Then Kyne.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,665 ✭✭✭Borders no.2

Vote Tommy Holohan (or Tom Hooligan as TV3 named him on the Vincent Browne people's debate programme)- Real Change Not Spare Change. Amazing to see 21 candidates. Shows how lucrative the whole thing is. At least 12-13 of them can be written off straight away you'd imagine. Should be an interesting battle for the last couple of seats. The main thing is that regardless of who you vote for as many people as possible vote, if there is no-one of the 21 who you want to vote for at least go along and spoil your vote as a protest vote!!!

The fewer people that vote the more influential my vote is.

Stay at home people.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,922 ✭✭✭beardybrewer

Yeah, a bit presumptuous isn't it? It makes me picture mammy forcing you to take awful tasting medicine. Tastes like manure, but it's for the common good so open up!

• Advertisement

Yeah, a bit presumptuous isn't it? It makes me picture mammy forcing you to take awful tasting medicine. Tastes like manure, but it's for the common good so open up!

Or at dinner, about starving kids in Africa, send it out to them so! Oh I was a little bollix.

Advertisement