Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

General Election 2016 Galway West

Options

Comments

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 31,117 ✭✭✭✭snubbleste

...The main thing is that regardless of who you vote for as many people as possible vote, if there is no-one of the 21 who you want to vote for at least go along and spoil your vote as a protest vote!!!
    You should never spoil your vote imo.
    Give a No1 for the no-hoper, just so they can get some of their election expenses back. Final votes must exceed 5% of ballot in order for them to claim an election expenses allowance from the State

• Registered Users Posts: 1,258 ✭✭✭Unrealistic

snubbleste wrote: »
    You should never spoil your vote imo.
    Give a No1 for the no-hoper, just so they can get some of their election expenses back. Final votes must exceed 5% of ballot in order for them to claim an election expenses allowance from the State
    Agreed. I strongly believe you should still try to pick the "least worst" candidate to cast a vote for.

Just for clarity it's a bit less than 5%, because it's a quarter of a quota, so in a five seater like Galway West it will be 4.17%. And I'm pretty sure you can only claim reimbursement for properly vouched expenses rather than it being an allowance.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,029 ✭✭✭Lockstep

I know! What's going on there?
    The survey was based on 515 people so it should be fairly representative.
    Sampla 515 duine (18+ bliain) a bhí ag an bpobalbhreith seo a rinne an comhlacht Ipsos MRBI do TG4.

515 would give a fairly significant margin of error. I genuinely can't see O Mahony getting 11%.

I'm voting Nolan and O Tuaithil. Both seem to have their heads screwed on and are openly pro choice and pro healthcare reform. Sheridan is probably getting my #3 then Kyne.

• Registered Users Posts: 152 ✭✭tenacious-me

Ballot paper is immense!

• Registered Users Posts: 12,012 ✭✭✭✭ben.schlomo

Ballot paper is immense!

Bloody council, lining their pockets!!!!!! :confused:

• Advertisement

Ballot paper is immense!
    And the lickle shelf provided to scribble your numerals, the paper triples over itself if you go down to Sheridan

• Registered Users Posts: 10,208 ✭✭✭✭JohnCleary

Taylor's NS nice and quiet this morning, was in and out in 5 mins.

Agreed re. the size of the ballot paper... jeez! I almost knocked over the polling station, talk about flimsy... thought it would have been the more traditional booth.

Happy days, job done. Looking forward to seeing how it goes.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,041 ✭✭✭✭thesandeman

And the lickle shelf provided to scribble your numerals, the paper triples over itself if you go down to Sheridan

RTE must be lurking. They mentioned this on the R1 news.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 29,930 ✭✭✭✭TerrorFirmer

RTE must be lurking. They mentioned this on the R1 news.

It's been all over twitter all morning, including pictures of the ballot paper. I don't think boards.ie is high on their list of priorities today.

• Registered Users Posts: 188 ✭✭elguapo

It's been all over twitter all morning, including pictures of the ballot paper. I don't think boards.ie is high on their list of priorities today.

Longest multiple choice quiz I've ever taken, think I got the right answers though!

• Advertisement

Hope the returning officer distributed plenty of
    401_plastic.gif

Hope the returning officer distributed plenty of
    401_plastic.gif
    I usually vote after work but voted before today.
    It was a novelty having a sharp pencil.

Looks like O'Cuiv, Kyne and Grealish are safe. After that, it'll be a dogfight between O'Clochartaigh, Connolly, Naughten and O'Mahoney for the last 2 seats.

O'Clochartaigh has the most votes but given SF's problems with transfers, he could lose out. I'd say at least one of the FGers will be elected, most likely Naughten as she'll probably get more tranfers than O'Mahoney from fellow city candidates like Nolan, Sheridan and O'Tuathail.

Actual 1st preferences
    A0Md6Ii.jpg?1

The TG4 was not that far out, obvious outlier was
    O'Mahony 11%, actual was 7.4%
    Grealish 7%, actual 11.2%

Catherine Connolly might lose out again

• Users Awaiting Email Confirmation Posts: 1,331 ✭✭✭J.pilkington

Must be unreal emotions for Connolly, as the city boxes were opened first and she was initially leading on 11% it probably gave a false hope of an easy seat

Must be unreal emotions for Connolly, as the city boxes were opened first and she was initially leading on 11% it probably gave a false hope of an easy seat
    She's entitled to throw a hissy fit about it should she wish. She lost by only 17 votes in 2011.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,665 ✭✭✭Borders no.2

Poor Patrick Feeney with only 22 votes. You have to give credit to some of the independent candidates who have no real financial backing behind them for putting themselves forward. It seems foolish to risk such a public humiliation looking on from a distance but fair play to them for giving it a go.

Could be a long day tomorrow to decide the final seats.

Poor Patrick Feeney with only 22 votes. You have to give credit to some of the independent candidates who have no real financial backing behind them for putting themselves forward. It seems foolish to risk such a public humiliation looking on from a distance but fair play to them for giving it a go.

Could be a long day tomorrow to decide the final seats.

He made a bit of a scene when he was eliminated, now he's looking for a recount.

Clearly the man is not quite well.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 108 ✭✭saltsun

Hopefully.

I knew that tg4 poll was off, seeing it in results now. Cuiv, Ó and Kyne level and O'Mahony two points behind, yeah right.

• Advertisement

For those 488 who spoiled their votes, you could have made a difference!
    Cuív's surplus of 391 being distributed now just as Niall O Tuathail leapfrogs FF's John Connolly

Final result:
    Ó Cuív (FF)
    Grealish (Ind)
    Connolly (Ind)
    Kyne (FG)
    Naughton (FG)

O'Clochartaigh did extremely well on first preferences (9%) but got hammered on transfers.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,606 ✭✭✭schemingbohemia

Lockstep wrote: »
    Final result:
    Ó Cuív (FF)
    Grealish (Ind)
    Connolly (Ind)
    Kyne (FG)
    Naughton (FG)

O'Clochartaigh did extremely well on first preferences (9%) but got hammered on transfers.

Anyone know why O'Tuathail didn't ask for a recount? Was only 26 votes behind. Perhaps lack of experience on the ground, but when you see recounts for much greater differences being granted it's a bit of a surprise.

SF still relatively transfer-phobic, unless there was any other Right2payfornothing candidates below to transfer from.

Because he still would have gone nowhere in the end, a re-count would have been pointless. Gap too big.

Trevor only got 150 odd transfers from O' Mahoney, Kyne got 2,500 and Hildegarde 2,000 or thereabouts. SF completely transfer toxic, he might have been hoping for a geographical vote from O' Mahoney but it doesn't happen. He knew straight away it was game over in the early stages of distribution.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,816 ✭✭✭Baggy Trousers

Glad Connolly got in. I think she will do some good work in the Dáil.

• Registered Users Posts: 25,768 ✭✭✭✭Mrs OBumble

Anyone know why O'Tuathail didn't ask for a recount? Was only 26 votes behind. Perhaps lack of experience on the ground, but when you see recounts for much greater differences being granted it's a bit of a surprise.

379017.PNG

From the horses mouth.

Because he still would have gone nowhere in the end, a re-count would have been pointless. Gap too big.

Trevor only got 150 odd transfers from O' Mahoney, Kyne got 2,500 and Hildegarde 2,000 or thereabouts. SF completely transfer toxic, he might have been hoping for a geographical vote from O' Mahoney but it doesn't happen. He knew straight away it was game over in the early stages of distribution.

This.
    O Tuathail knew he wasn't going to get a seat and saw little point in demanding a recount when it wouldn't change his chances of being elected. Fair play to him for this.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 6,769 Mod ✭✭✭✭nuac

O'Mahoney lives in Ballaghadereen Roscommon.

First campaign in Galway. Where would his base be?

Do SF seriously expect transfers from FG?

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 6,769 Mod ✭✭✭✭nuac

Glad that Catherine Connolly made it. She has been trying for some time,

The famous MIchael Dee alway insisted on running alone on the Labour ticket. Would not accept a running mate, so eventually she left Labour

Go n-eirígh an bóthar léithi

• Advertisement

nuac wrote: »
    Glad that Catherine Connolly made it. She has been trying for some time,

The famous MIchael Dee alway insisted on running alone on the Labour ticket. Would not accept a running mate, so eventually she left Labour

Go n-eirígh an bóthar léithi
    It's not up to Michael D, the Labour branch decides who it's candidates will be.
    You had a similar situation in 2011 when Colette Connolly wanted to run for the Dáil alongside Derek Nolan. The local branch had a vote and they decided to run one candidate.

Advertisement