Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Super XVIII 2016

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 5,971 ✭✭✭Yeah_Right

Charizard wrote: »
    I could understand maybe a everyday game, but semis having massive gaps in the stands is terrible

Ellis Park is massive. 60-70,000 I think. And it's in a bad neighbourhood I believe. That might explain why it wasn't full.

I have to say I was never a fan of going to night games in the middle of winter in NZ. I preferred watching them in the pub or at a house. Late summer, autumn and spring were much more enjoyable. Of course a corporate box makes the experience tolerable any time of year :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 601 ✭✭✭Charizard

Surprised how good the Lions were, saying that the Highlanders missed some massive chances

• Subscribers Posts: 41,123 ✭✭✭✭sydthebeat

Surprised how good the Lions were, saying that the Highlanders missed some massive chances

As a highlanders fan I can easily admit we were never in that game, the lions were excellent from the outset. What took me by surprise was their clinically effective counter attack, right decisions being made by all players. Get the ball to the space where a back can attack a forwards shoulder and support support support. Very similar to the hurricanes actually.

Can't wait for tomorrow morning!

• Registered Users Posts: 14,150 ✭✭✭✭LuckyGent88

Not ideal playing conditions in Wellington. No surprise there though.

That scrum was HUGE !

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,484 ✭✭✭swiwi_

Jantjies is back to being flaky. WTF was he doing looping lolly-pop passes along his own goal-line in typical wet & windy Wellington conditions?

Lions need to play more territory in the 2nd 40, trying to run if from your won half in these conditions is silly.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,160 ✭✭✭Felix Jones is God

Lions can't catch a break , small margins

• Registered Users Posts: 7,461 ✭✭✭Kiwi_knock

This isn't a great advert for tactical kicking. Some aimless kicks

• Registered Users Posts: 7,811 ✭✭✭Tigerandahalf

Poor game lads. Is there a decline in the Super 15 this year? I guess conditions aren't great there.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,160 ✭✭✭Felix Jones is God

Amateurish defending altogether from the Lions after a wonderful steal in the lineout

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,461 ✭✭✭Kiwi_knock

Deserved try for Barrett. And that's the game

• Registered Users Posts: 24,745 ✭✭✭✭molloyjh

A series of clusterf**ks lead to that one, and game over. Lions defence in the second half has been really good overall. Canes have really struggled to get going at all. Some of the kicking has been horrible. Weather isn't helping but I don't think can be blamed for most of what we're seeing. Not vintage stuff by any means.

And another horrible kick.....what kind of attempt at a drop was that!?

240 minutes of knockout rugby without conceding a try. Hence champions - well done Canes.

Lions lost this 4 weeks back when they sent a B side to Argentina and couldn't get a single point.

Weather played a part but not a vintage game.

A couple of these lads decking out in the Pro 12: Gibson Park (Leinster), Halaholo (Cardiff).

Poor game lads. Is there a decline in the Super 15 this year? I guess conditions aren't great there.

As it's super 18 I have to say no.

In fairness the conditions dictated the game today, handling wasn't great.

Throughout the year though the standard has been top notch, especially in the NZ Derby games and in the games the lions played against the top level opposition.

Canes definitely worthy champions, Lions will be disappointed they didn't show better.

Barrett and saveau for player of the championship, probably beauden but I'd give it to ardie.

Delighted for Plumtree as well. He did good for us when he was here and seems a bloody good coach.

It's the best standard I've ever seen across all 5 NZ sides, although individual NZ sides have been better in the past (Blues at the very start, some of the Crusaders sides).

Australian sides generally mediocre to rubbish. When Aussie only had Reds, Tahs, Brumbies they were much stronger.

Ditto for the African sides, with the notable exception of the Lions who were generally excellent (but not today).

• Registered Users Posts: 4,020 ✭✭✭Digifriendly

Australia does not have enough strength in depth to have 5 teams. Western Force and Melbourne Rebels were particularly poor. Blues were only disappointing NZ team but even they finished strongly. S. African teams apart from Lions were mediocre.

It doesn't help that Australian and South African sides have seen so many of their players move to Europe.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,597 ✭✭✭✭thebaz

really wish Christian Lealiifano all the best in his toughest fight - puts rugby in perspective - hope he overcomes his cancer battle and returns to full health.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,182 ✭✭✭nehe milner skudder

barrett playing irresistible stuff at the moment.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,799 ✭✭✭b.gud

• Registered Users Posts: 6,938 ✭✭✭SuprSi

So many good tries there, so many good offloads

• Registered Users Posts: 188 ✭✭golfer555

Brazilian side going to apply for Super Rugby in 2019. Most will be against for competitive reasons but Brazil as a growing rugby nation would be a great market to tap into.

americasrugbynews.com/2016/08/08/brazil-seeks-place-super-rugby-2019/ (can't post the proper link as I'm a new user)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,182 ✭✭✭nehe milner skudder

golfer555 wrote: »
    Brazilian side going to apply for Super Rugby in 2019. Most will be against for competitive reasons but Brazil as a growing rugby nation would be a great market to tap into.

americasrugbynews.com/2016/08/08/brazil-seeks-place-super-rugby-2019/ (can't post the proper link as I'm a new user)

nah it needs to go back to 12 teams.its a mess these days, with uneven routes to playoffs due to some groups containing cannon fodder while 5 decent nz teams knock the ****e out of each other twice a season.

nah it needs to go back to 12 teams.its a mess these days, with uneven routes to playoffs due to some groups containing cannon fodder while 5 decent nz teams knock the ****e out of each other twice a season.

Dont agree with that at all, the more teams involved in rugby the better

• Registered Users Posts: 24,191 ✭✭✭✭Buer

Agreed but not in this manner. Whatever about the Jaguars or Sunwolves...a Brazilian team would be a farce at this level.

There's an argument for Super Rugby to be made into a two tier competition with the number of teams now involved but that would be near impossible to work given the geographical spread and the concentration of the top teams in one country currently.

• Registered Users Posts: 671 ✭✭✭Quintis

I agree, it may be a strange case where the more teams in Super Rugby the better the format becomes, possibility to have an east|west conference, it could reduce the amount of travelling across timezones. I would argue that to introduce a Brazilian team and there should also be a call to introduce a Fijian/Samaon/Tongan combination team as a start.

Buer wrote: »
    Agreed but not in this manner. Whatever about the Jaguars or Sunwolves...a Brazilian team would be a farce at this level.

There's an argument for Super Rugby to be made into a two tier competition with the number of teams now involved but that would be near impossible to work given the geographical spread and the concentration of the top teams in one country currently.

Like the poster after you said, that could be solved with Eastern/Western conferences like the NBA
    I think it would be great for a sporting country like Brazil to get involved in Rugby

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 24,191 ✭✭✭✭Buer

Like the poster after you said, that could be solved with Eastern/Western conferences like the NBA
    I think it would be great for a sporting country like Brazil to get involved in Rugby

Get involved in rugby, yes. Get involved in what is probably the premier club competition in the world? No.

Them being absolutely destroyed every week would do them no good. They've no business playing at that level. They need to walk before the run.

For context, the last time their national side played a European nation, they were beaten by Germany 31-7. The game was played in Brazil.

A Super Rugby team from NZ would put 100 on them.

They need to develop the game internally to a point where they have a legitimate claim on being able to field a team that wouldn't be a genuine safety risk to themselves at professional level.

Advertisement