Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Super XVIII 2016

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,699 ✭✭✭The Pheasant2

Kings v Jags, only in the first 15 and already possibly one of the worst handling performances I've ever seen. Both sides equally awful - some of these errors are almost not believable from professionals

• Registered Users Posts: 9,599 ✭✭✭matthew8

2 red cards in the first half for the Jaguares. They're their own worst enemy. This should have been a bonus point win, they'll be lucky to leave with anything now. Indiscipline a real achilles heel for Argentinian rugby.

matthew8 wrote: »
    2 red cards in the first half for the Jaguares. They're their own worst enemy. This should have been a bonus point win, they'll be lucky to leave with anything now. Indiscipline a real achilles heel for Argentinian rugby.

Agreed. Although I feel for them on this occasion - the first red was pretty soft in my opinion and the Kings had racked up 8 penalties in the opening 20 mins themselves and received a warning...the ref (who's had a poor enough performance) didn't appear to be accounting for any kind of accumulation

• Registered Users Posts: 7,462 ✭✭✭Kiwi_knock

You have to wonder what is going on with the coaching with the Jaguares, no control over the continual lack of discipline shown.

Agreed. Although I feel for them on this occasion - the first red was pretty soft in my opinion and the Kings had racked up 8 penalties in the opening 20 mins themselves and received a warning...the ref (who's had a poor enough performance) didn't appear to be accounting for any kind of accumulation

Kings should have had yellow cards, agreed. First red was borderline but he did connect with the head so he had to go. Second red was awful, just thuggish, Ramiro Herrera seems to have a problem with this as he should have had a red card back in the world cup against Ireland.

• Advertisement

Kiwi_knock wrote: »
    You have to wonder what is going on with the coaching with the Jaguares, no control over the continual lack of discipline shown.

Very strange alright - with their personnel and the right direction I fully believe they could be a top contender/winner of super rugby

Kings making heavy weather of it, down 14-7 since having a 2 man advantage and 20-10 overall. They're a proper rabble.

I'm not sure if I'm more amazed by the Jags ability to stay in the fight or the Kings' utter lack of killer instinct

Jaguares down to 12 (yellow), referee showing a lot less patience for their cynical play than he did with the Kings.

The best efforts of the ref should be sufficient to shove the limp corpse of the Kings over the finishing line

• Advertisement

The best efforts of the ref should be sufficient to shove the limp corpse of the Kings over the finishing line

Thought it was a fair penalty try but you feel he's only refereed one side tonight. Kings take the lead, 15 on 12 is just too much even for the embarrassment that is the Kings.

• Registered Users Posts: 841 ✭✭✭Journeyman_1

Just went to ultimate rugby to check the score there and saw the waratahs Chiefs result. That's a big win for the tahs. Looks like they blitzed a few tries on 50 mins to take a big lead. Anyone see the game in real-time?

• Subscribers Posts: 41,294 ✭✭✭✭sydthebeat

Kings could run in another 2 here.
    Jags dead on their feet

Thought it was a fair penalty try but you feel he's only refereed one side tonight. Kings take the lead, 15 on 12 is just too much even for the embarrassment that is the Kings.

Ah it's more the overall role he had in shaping the game. The Kings celebrating their BP win like that leaves a pretty bitter taste - they played a minimal part in their victory

• Registered Users Posts: 4,490 ✭✭✭swiwi_

Just went to ultimate rugby to check the score there and saw the waratahs Chiefs result. That's a big win for the tahs. Looks like they blitzed a few tries on 50 mins to take a big lead. Anyone see the game in real-time?

Not in real-time no, but I watched it.

Folau was awesome. At 13. I reckon he's the best back other code convert ever - better than SBW. Speed, step, off-loads, mops up any high balls etc. In awe.

But the Chiefs defence was pretty passive in the 2nd 40, and they paid the price.

I'm calling it now - Damian McKenzie will not be in the ABs yet, too many rough edges (but in 2 days we see if I get the call correct).

When a prop lines up a winger....

https://youtu.be/039ahKF86yI

Big Charlie on jonny mc Nichol

It's an enjoyable game so far syd. Best I've seen Blues play this season I reckon.

swiwi_ wrote: »
    It's an enjoyable game so far syd. Best I've seen Blues play this season I reckon.

Definitely
    Crusaders need to get the finger out.

Fonutia is still your weak link

Well done fonotia :)

• Registered Users Posts: 671 ✭✭✭Quintis

Boshoff played 80 for the Lions in their 56-20 win over the Bulls today, kicking 6 conversions, 2 penalties and missing 1 penalty and 1 conversion. The Lions are top of the the Africa 2 Conference, which is pretty weak with the Kings and the Jaguares and second in the overall table. Good progress being made under Ackermann. Janjties not missed at all today, Connacht fans will be delighted to see Boshoff step in at 10 and direct the Lions to a great win with a solid kicking performance!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,939 ✭✭✭SuprSi

Really bad week on the predictions side of things, only 3 out of 7 so far, with tomorrow's game to come.

• Moderators, Arts Moderators Posts: 23,931 Mod ✭✭✭✭TICKLE_ME_ELMO

Ahhhh..... I was wondering why someone was posting Super Rugby updates in the Connacht thread earlier. This Boshoff guy is Galway bound?

I'm calling it now - Damian McKenzie will not be in the ABs yet, too many rough edges (but in 2 days we see if I get the call correct).

Squad has been named. McKenzie is in.

I haven't been watching much/any Super Rugby this year, surprised to see TJ Perenara left out of the squad. Has he been having a bad year? Or has Kerr-Barlow been having a great one?

Squad has been named. McKenzie is in.

I haven't been watching much/any Super Rugby this year, surprised to see TJ Perenara left out of the squad. Has he been having a bad year?

Yeah they chose McKenzie in the end. He has made a few mistakes recently, but there's no denying his talent.

TJP is a headless chicken at times, lots of promise, he's good at sniping near the line or taking final passes to score, but the rest of his game is average. Not a great boxkicker.

A lot of people are wondering what more Brad Weber needs to do.

NZ is a bit like Ireland - one very good starting 9, and then a bit of a gap back to the chasers.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,624 ✭✭✭✭thebaz

Jaguares down to 12 (yellow), referee showing a lot less patience for their cynical play than he did with the Kings.

didn't see the game - so maybe shouldn't comment - but anyway , really irks how the smaller nations never get favours from officials , as if the bigger nations don't have eneogh advantage - is it any wonders rugby struggles to grow internationally - rather than same old 6 or 7 - rant over

NZ is a bit like Ireland - one very good starting 9, and then a bit of a gap back to the chasers.

The guy Leinster are taking next season must be rubbish then if he's way down the NZL pecking order ;)

The guy Leinster are taking next season must be rubbish then if he's way down the NZL pecking order ;)

TBH, I havent see a lot of him play. He gets about 10 minutes at the end of a Hurricanes game. The litte I've seen, he has looked OK.

But I can't guarantee Leinster fans that he won't turn out to be disappointing. We see.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,972 ✭✭✭Yeah_Right

He's alright. He will be the second best HB in Ireland. Let's face it, there's half a dozen HBs in NZ that if they moved to Ireland would make Murray the second best HB in Ireland :D

• Registered Users Posts: 37,978 ✭✭✭✭irishbucsfan

Yeah_Right wrote: »
    He's alright. He will be the second best HB in Ireland. Let's face it, there's half a dozen HBs in NZ that if they moved to Ireland would make Murray the second best HB in Ireland :D

Best case scenario for you guys: he can learn how to play up here and change his mind about staying long-term and go back home, sparking a revolution and teaching all those around him how the game really works. Although Isaac may solve that particular problem before he gets a chance.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,182 ✭✭✭nehe milner skudder

players to watch:

1.liam squire :loose forward at highlanders with a bit of mongrel.

2.akira ioane: weapon of mass distruction. disappointed he is playing sevens actually . would like him to focus on allblack honours. im harder than a bailiffs knock every time he gets the ball.
    his younger brother rieko is a lightening bolt at 18 years of age.

3.geoarge moala : nonu conrad and sbw are gone. this boy apparently came out of preseaon barrel chested.piled on the muscle. he is a tank. him and fekitoa together while not a conventional 12/13 is almost unstoppable . my knickers are soaking thinking about what he can achieve.

temanivalu, ardie savea, the returning rene ranger , patty tuipolutu to hopefully fulfil last years promise .

shout out to israel dagg who signed on to stay in NZ.
    He didn't take the filthy lucre playing easy rugby up north and i admire that.

for what its worth i think the blues will go really well this year. umaga is a legend with plenty of mana.he takes no **** from anyone and players bust their balls for him. he made a silk purse from a sows ear with manukau and i expect the blues to go to the play offs.
    i reckon i could play first five for them and shovel the ball out to the polynesians out wide and still win games. game breakers everywhere

time for some proper rugby to start. sat through some dross today north of the equator.

some good shouts there to be fair

Advertisement