Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Super XVIII 2016

Options
  • 04-02-2016 10:49am
    Subscribers Posts: 41,118 ✭✭✭✭

im sure swiwi will do us a preview, but until then lets use this thread for general news and discussion of super rugby for 2016 season

Pulse Energy Highlanders’ team to play Racing 92 in Hong Kong

The Pulse Energy Highlanders will begin their 2016 preseason campaign on Saturday 7th February in Hong Kong when they context the Natixis Cup against the Racing 92. The game is being played at Sui Sai Wan Stadium in Hong Kong kicking-off at 5.00pm local time (10.00pm NZT) and will be broadcast live on Sky Sport 2 from 9.55pm.

The first hit-out of the year will see the twenty-eight players named with new signing, Liam Squire starting at No 8 in his first game for the Highlanders and local player, Matt Faddes, running out as full back.

Pulse Energy Highlanders v Racing 92, Sui Sai Wan Stadium, Hong Kong, Sat 7th February, 5.00pm (local time)

1. Daniel Lienert-Brown
    2. Ash Dixon
    3. Josh Hohneck
    4. Tom Franklin
    5. Joe Wheeler
    6. Elliot Dixon
    7. Shane Christie (C)
    8. Liam Squire
    9. Josh Renton
    10. Lima Sopoaga
    11. Patrick Osborne
    12. Richard Buckman
    13. Jason Emery
    14. Waisake Naholo
    15. Matt Faddes
    Reserves:
    16. Greg Pleasants-Tate
    17. Brendon Edmonds
    18. Siosiua Halanukonuka
    19. Jackson Hemopo
    20. Sio Tomkinson
    21. Liam Howley
    22. Malakai Fekitoa
    23. Tei Walden
    24. Ryan Tongia
    25. Marty Banks
    26. Luke Whitelock
    27. James Lentjes
    28. Mark Reddish
    Head Coach: Jamie Joseph
    Assistant Coaches: Tony Brown, Scott McLeod
    Team Manager: Paul McLaughlan

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 24,190 ✭✭✭✭Buer

Yeah...I'll be calling this S18 from now on.

SXVIII? F*ck that.

Looking forward to the season starting and having live, early morning games from NZ. Will tie in very nicely with my schedule!

• Registered Users Posts: 45,433 ✭✭✭✭thomond2006

With their squad, the Jaguares should be strong. http://www.jaguares.com.ar/en/index.html

The UAR have done a great job bringing their players home. That's despite a very weak currency: Four years ago one Peso was USD 0.23. Now it's USD 0.07.

• Registered Users Posts: 37,923 ✭✭✭✭PTH2009

This will strengthen rugby even more in Argentina and Japan. Neither of which we want in our pool in the next world cup along with the all blacks

• Subscribers Posts: 41,118 ✭✭✭✭sydthebeat

looking on paddy power im surprised at some of the betting odds

Grand Final Winner
    Hurricanes 5/1
    Chiefs 13/2
    Brumbies 7/1
    Waratahs 8/1
    Crusaders 8/1
    Highlanders 8/1
    Jaguares 10/1
    Stormers 11/1
    Sharks 14/1
    Bulls 16/1
    Blues 25/1
    Lions 33/1
    Reds 40/1
    Rebels 50/1
    Western Force 100/1
    Cheetahs 100/1
    Kings 300/1
    Sunwolves 300/1

The canes are probably deservedly favourites after the style of rugby they played last year, and teh hunger they must have for this season. However they are shorn of 2 giants of the team, both leaders, in a very important area and partnership.... with Nonu and C Smith gone. How they replace them will be central to how they do this year.

Chiefs at 13/2 is generous i think seeing as they whole season is based on whether aaron cruden can stay fit or not. Any significant injury to him and they are bolloxed.

My bias aside, im very surprised at the highlanders price 8/1. They have the most settled squad of all the NZ teams. They have retained all their senior all blacks from last season, and have a lot more knocking on the international squad door. The only noticable absentees are Nasi manu and John Hardie, who both couldnt have given more for the team and were probably rightly timed to leave. In elliot dixon we have an able replacement for manu. I think a lot will come down to hunger again, but i think even after last year the highlanders are still seen as the poor cousin... which will be reason enough to drive for back to back championships.

from the australian side, i think Nic White leaving brumbies is going to affect them even if cubelli is a decent player. White was a driven player and hard done by in the world cup. The tahs are a a hard call.. theyve a new coach and have lost some pretty significant senior players in Kepu, AAC, potgeitger and mckribben... intersting to see how zac guilford goes.

the jaguares are an interesting bet at 10/1. i suppose their biggest issue will be the 4 week international window in may / june. i wonder would they be willing to retain senior players for the s18 ( ;) ) and select a loads of noobs against italy and france

• Registered Users Posts: 4,483 ✭✭✭swiwi_

OPERATION BRITISH & IRISH LIONS STARTS HERE

I thought twice about whether to take the time to do a Super Rugby preview for 2016. However, in theory Super Rugby should be of some interest to people on this forum, given Ireland’s international fixture list for 2016, and the Lions tour to NZ in 2017. So I trust it proves an interesting and a useful reference. I think the dedicated on this forum who followed Super Rugby last year found it generally pretty entertaining.

My first confession is that much like last year I will be largely limiting my viewing to games involving NZ teams, and I’m therefore mainly going to concentrate on previewing the NZ franchises. There are other posters on this forum who follow Australian (although I keep a good eye on their players) and especially South African rugby more closely, and it would also be nice if an Amigo from Argentina happened to be living in the Emerald Isle and wanted to discuss all things Los Jaguares. I must say I think Super Rugby as a whole is becoming too convoluted, it’s clear the decision to include the Southern Kings has a lot to do with things not directly related to rugby.

My second confession is that my assessment of the franchises and players to look out for is largely based on what I saw last year, simply because I no longer have the time to follow the ITM cup. There will probably be a number of talented players of whom I am yet blissfully unaware that show some talent in Super Rugby and might even make the step up to All Black rugby.

Before previewing this season, let’s see how I went last season with my preview of players to look out for. From each franchise, I chose

Ihaia West (Blues) – and he flopped. Basically NZ’s version of Ian Madigan, loads of talent, good goalkicker, can’t control a game. The Blues suffered as a result.

Seta Tamanivalu (Chiefs) – essentially given no game-time by Dave Rennie, so we will never know. But he is clearly rated by Steve Hansen as he was given a call-up to the initial 40 or so players chosen for a pre-RWC camp.

Nehe Milner-Skudder (Canes) – bit disappointing really. Average season, with only a winner’s medal and a try in the RWC final to show for his first season of Super Rugby.

Robbie Freuan (Crusaders) – broke his arm early on, season over.

Waisake Naholo (Landers) – yeah, I nailed this one.

Now time for the traditional overview of the NZ rugby landscape, before we narrow our focus down on the 5 franchises. Basically, it’s operation replace NZ’s midfield with the old firm of Nonu & Smith enjoying the delights of southern France, and SBW aiming to add an Olympic Gold Medal to his potpourri of silverware. There is also the small matter of replacing the GOAT at 7, and Din Cada at 10, but those 2 had already identified backups. Old age and you scavenging bastards from up North got rid of a fair chunk of NZ talent, but to the NZRFU’s credit, the only one that really got away was Charles Piutau, and his loss was more than suitably assuaged at season’s end by Nehe the hot-stepper and Waisake and his traditional medicine. A number of big names signed up until 2019, so all currently remains attractive with NZ rugby for the majority of the players with international ambitions. At the time of writing, it is widely expected that Victor Vito will sign for a foreign club, probably English or French I imagine, even if Ulster have had various designs (and edit he signed for La Rochelle).

The Blues

http://www.superxv.com/47544/1/blues-reveal-39-man-super-rugby-squad-for-2016#.VoqR3FXhCJA

Notable losses: Woodcock, Mealamu, Piutau, coach Kirwan
    Notable gains: Ranger, coach Umaga

The Blues have a new coach (Ireland’s favourite’s son Tana), and they will be hoping a new beginning. Season after season of mediocrity has become the norm for the former champions.

Strengths: First-choice pack locks pretty decent, albeit without much back-up. Midfield looks dangerous.

Weaknesses: Halves.

A couple of players to look out for: Akira Ioane. Dynamic ball-carrying 8/6, who is fast enough to represent NZ at 7s rugby. Barring injury, seems certain to wear black in 2016. The next big thing in NZ rugby, maybe. George Moala. Not long ago a bit of a journeyman wing, who then found himself in court for assault. A reformed man, and in one of Kirwan’s few decent selection switches, he has become a very good inside centre. Capped vs Samoa, I expect him to push hard for Nonu’s jersey. A mention for Patrick Tuipolotu returning from bilateral hip operations.

Umaga has proven himself with Counties-Manukau at ITM cup level. He might not be on the Christmas card list here, but he is popular in NZ. He should get the Blues playing a better style of rugby, utilising the Pacific talent which dominates Auckland rugby, but his season, like every recent Blues season in memory, will come down to how his chosen fly-half performs. Prediction – better than last season, which is already a good start. Fringe play-off candidate is possible.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 17,758 ✭✭✭✭bilston

I'm interested to see how the Jaguars do and what sort of crowds they attract.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,557 ✭✭✭sydneybound

bilston wrote: »
    I'm interested to see how the Jaguars do and what sort of crowds they attract.

I'll be following them closely this year. The UAR have done a wonderful job getting such a good squad together unlike the Sunwolves (who are doing very well selling match tickets).

Their playing in a big 40,000 seater stadium and I think they are initially hoping of crowds of around 10-12,000. So going on the back of their twitter account they are really trying to engage with the local community to gather more support. Although they have a strong squad I think this season they'll need to adjust to all the travelling and playing against top teams in SR week in week out. A top 6 finish would be a brilliant first season and hopefully they won't lose much at home to build that fanbase. The plan is for another SR team by 2019 so really hope this team goes well first.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,938 ✭✭✭SuprSi

I really have missed my Saturday morning rugby fix so can't wait for this to start back up :)

• Registered Users Posts: 177 ✭✭The Black Stags

Thanks very much for putting this thread together guys.

Who is the new coach of the highlanders?

Thanks very much for putting this thread together guys.

Who is the new coach of the highlanders?

AAARRRGGGGH FCUK !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

• Advertisement

http://thehighlanders.co.nz/our-news/latest-news/722-jamie-joseph-to-coach-in-japan

now that the shock has died down... at least he doesnt join until the end of the 2016 season...

sydthebeat wrote: »

now that the shock has died down... at least he doesnt join until the end of the 2016 season...

Wait, you didn't know? Sorry I had to break the news! But yeah, thank goodness he is staying until the end of this season.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 18,145 Mod ✭✭✭✭CatFromHue

Just a quick recap of the structure of the league for anyone not sure

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,182 ✭✭✭nehe milner skudder

players to watch:

1.liam squire :loose forward at highlanders with a bit of mongrel.

2.akira ioane: weapon of mass distruction. disappointed he is playing sevens actually . would like him to focus on allblack honours. im harder than a bailiffs knock every time he gets the ball.
    his younger brother rieko is a lightening bolt at 18 years of age.

3.geoarge moala : nonu conrad and sbw are gone. this boy apparently came out of preseaon barrel chested.piled on the muscle. he is a tank. him and fekitoa together while not a conventional 12/13 is almost unstoppable . my knickers are soaking thinking about what he can achieve.

temanivalu, ardie savea, the returning rene ranger , patty tuipolutu to hopefully fulfil last years promise .

shout out to israel dagg who signed on to stay in NZ.
    He didn't take the filthy lucre playing easy rugby up north and i admire that.

for what its worth i think the blues will go really well this year. umaga is a legend with plenty of mana.he takes no **** from anyone and players bust their balls for him. he made a silk purse from a sows ear with manukau and i expect the blues to go to the play offs.
    i reckon i could play first five for them and shovel the ball out to the polynesians out wide and still win games. game breakers everywhere

time for some proper rugby to start. sat through some dross today north of the equator.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,970 ✭✭✭Yeah_Right

Hurricanes beat the Crusaders 74-7 in a preseason match!! Didn't think they'd miss DC and McCaw that much.

Kaino got red carded in the Blues match against the Chiefs. Has to face a hearing this week. Not good for the Blues to go into their opener without their captain. The good news was Cruden came through his first match unscathed.

i think kaino might claim mitigating circumstances... probably get 2 weeks.

Canes with a loud alarm call for the coming season

Wazzup my Super Rugby lovin' brothas. Only 7 more sleeps.

If pre-season form is anything to go by (which it it never is), the Blues are going to be taking out the NZ conference.

I can't be arsed doing previews of the other 4 NZ franchises, but I'll be looking out for

Chiefs
    Brad Weber - Aaron Smith Mk II
    Damian McKenzie - midget man with wheels and a step
    Nepo Laulala - inside word is potentially the best TH since Hayman :(

Canes
    Can Brad Shields finally make the step up?
    Probably just keep watching NMS TBH, f*ck the rest

Saders
    David Havili caught my eye last season.
    All the new FHs

Landers
    Lima Sopoaga
    Angry Malakai
    Buckman :(

Probably keep an eye on the Jaguares too.

I have zero understanding of how the conferences work now, still nice to have Super Rugby back on dry fast pitches...

• Registered Users Posts: 697 ✭✭✭rsh118

What's happened to Bucky? As a dyed in the wool magpie by marriage, I know he knobbled himself in the semi-final, is it still that injury?

Izzy Dagg just had his house done up, he was going nowhere! Serious home boy.

rsh118 wrote: »
    What's happened to Bucky? As a dyed in the wool magpie by marriage, I know he knobbled himself in the semi-final, is it still that injury?

Well, if you actually are a dyed in the wool magpie...

...you should know the answer already :p

But he munted his shoulder in scoring a try vs Racing 92.

swiwi_ wrote: »
    Well, if you actually are a dyed in the wool magpie...

...you should know the answer already :p

But he munted his shoulder in scoring a try vs Racing 92.

Dyed in the wool in the sense of the majority of kiwis, as in appreciative nod each time the paper says they won and MIGHT see a couple of playoff games through work ;)

The highlanders picked up Tongia as well didn't they? Pocket rocket.

• Advertisement

i think kaino might claim mitigating circumstances... probably get 2 weeks.

Canes with a loud alarm call for the coming season

I haven't seen the incident but apparently he claimed that he was trying to get his arm free in a maul.

Dyed in the wool in the sense of the majority of kiwis, as in appreciative nod each time the paper says they won and MIGHT see a couple of playoff games through work ;)

The highlanders picked up Tongia as well didn't they? Pocket rocket.

We have tongia since last season. 3 caps, 3 tries ;)

I assume Taniela Tupou is going to pick up a few caps this season at the Reds?

We have tongia since last season. 3 caps, 3 tries ;)

I blame Hawkes Bay Today for not knowing this. Do I remember wrong or is Ash Dixon with you as well??

I blame Hawkes Bay Today for not knowing this. Do I remember wrong or is Ash Dixon with you as well??

Yep since last season...

Yep since last season...

Jeez at this rate I might have the entire squad named by playoff time. With so many playing for the highlanders, supporting the hyper-local Canes whose region we're in seems mad.

Hawkes Bay boys have been fleeing to the South Island for years. Randell and Kronfeld were from there I think.

Yeah_Right wrote: »
    Hawkes Bay boys have been fleeing to the South Island for years. Randell and Kronfeld were from there I think.

You are spot on with those two. Must be the incessant good weather we have up here. Either that or they are all trying to avoid bumping into Zac at the Thirsty Whale.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,456 ✭✭✭astonaidan

How long the season go on, would I be to optimistic in thinking I might get a Jaguares game when Im in Argentina at christmas :o

• Advertisement

astonaidan wrote: »
    How long the season go on, would I be to optimistic in thinking I might get a Jaguares game when Im in Argentina at christmas :o

Very optimistic. As I remember it's Feb-June/July for Super, then onto the local domestic competitions, ITM, Currie Cup etc

Advertisement