Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Flightradar24 Thread Part III

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 146 ✭✭Shannon Control

maximum12 wrote: »
    Ei125 making an early left turn on departure. Someone in atc not paying attention

What did it have to do with ATC?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 666 ✭✭✭maximum12

What did it have to do with ATC?

They're meant to fly straight out 5 miles before making the turn.

Sometimes you'll see a weather related exception

• Registered Users Posts: 702 ✭✭✭Cessna_Pilot

They're meant to fly straight out 5 miles before making the turn.

Sometimes you'll see a weather related exception

How does that make it someone in atc "not paying attention"?

I'm genuinely intrigued.

How does that make it someone in atc "not paying attention"?

I'm genuinely intrigued.

Given an early turn instruction

• Closed Accounts Posts: 22,847 ✭✭✭✭Shannon757

How do you know the pilots didn't turn to early?

• Advertisement

Shannon757 wrote: »
    How do you know the pilots didn't turn to early?

I don't. I guess it's possible but seems unlikely they'd make a turn without an instruction?

• Registered Users Posts: 10,097 ✭✭✭✭smurfjed

I guess it's possible but seems unlikely they'd make a turn without an instruction?
    Ugh just think of the paperwork the crew would have to fill in to justify not following the SID or ATC instructions.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 146 ✭✭Shannon Control

I don't. I guess it's possible but seems unlikely they'd make a turn without an instruction?

You'll find that a minority of flights fly the full first portion of the SID to the OE NDB. Majority of departures get an early turn based on the SID.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 643 ✭✭✭duskyjoe

Re the early turns and posts.......arm chair warriors that haven't a bulls notion what they are talking about. Read what Shannon Control has to say.

• Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators Posts: 6,521 Mod ✭✭✭✭Irish Steve

OK Folks, it's time to move on. For whatever reason, EI125 did something non standard. No big deal, and in the absence of any confirming facts of an unapproved activity. not something to argue about for any length of time

A STANDARD instrument departure is exactly that, the standard. It can be varied at the discretion of ATC for any number of valid reasons, the most likely being weather, but there can be other reasons, like transit traffic further out in the zone, or a helicopter holding for an approach, or the Garda Helicopter operating on the normal departure path, or whatever.

Unlike a railway line, that doesn't allow any variances, an aircraft can go where it likes, as long as ATC have approved the route before it happens. That approval may well have been passed to the aircraft before it even got to the runway, or it may have been requested before the take off roll started, and without the ATC tape to check it, we won't know the exact why, and it's unlikely to have been anyone's error, or mistake.

If it was a mistake, it will be reported, and probably turn up on a site like AV Herald at some stage in the next few days.

Shore, if it was easy, everybody would be doin it.😁

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,098 ✭✭✭Mech1

Only seeing this now, but a ATR (if thats right) to isle of man departed next or at least shortly after and was given option of early turn left (before takeoff). Turned before he passed over the fence from what i seen. so I assume the earlier flight got similar clearance.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,161 ✭✭✭PukkaStukka

Mech1 wrote: »
    Only seeing this now, but a ATR (if thats right) to isle of man departed next or at least shortly after and was given option of early turn left (before takeoff). Turned before he passed over the fence from what i seen. so I assume the earlier flight got similar clearance.

That does happen from time to time, so indeed must be par for the course.

• Registered Users Posts: 674 ✭✭✭eastmayo

Air Canada seems to be diverting off the mayo coast at the moment. Boeing 777.

Looking like a diversion into Dublin, based on profile.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,700 ✭✭✭tricky D

Mech1 wrote: »

Not an unusual occurrence at all. By my limited reckoning* it would be for 2 reasons:
    cutting a corner to reduce flight time in the absence of issues preventing that;
    or getting out of the way of a jet (faster climb performance) taking off behind. There was reference here a while back when an ATR took off from 16 and fairly promptly did a right-left 'chicane' to get out of the way of a following Ryanair.

Weather might be another reason but that might apply to a wider range of types.

* standard disclaimer and open to correction.

To facilitate faster and heavier types, there are actually different SID procedures for Category A & B aircraft, (mostly smaller lighter types, such as smaller General aviation types, and Dash 8's, ATR's and the like) compared to C & D.

Part of that relates to noise abatement, but part of it is to make it easier to get maximum utilisation of the available runway slots.

The main difference is that Cat A & B aircraft can start a turn once they are above 750 Ft, and diverge from the runway centre line path, whereas the heavier C & D aircraft normally continue to 4 miles, and (from rusty memory) 3000 Ft before turning.

Both however can be changed as necessary to meet operational requirements, and that can be both airline and airport related.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,161 ✭✭✭PukkaStukka

Operations at Dublin have swung around to Runway 16 as winds are now gusting from.the south with patchy low cloud & mist.

• Registered Users Posts: 669 ✭✭✭Ilyushin76

An antonov 124 inbound to shannon now.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,925 ✭✭✭✭Spanish Eyes

Ilyushin76 wrote: »
    An antonov 124 inbound to shannon now.

That is some big bird alright.

Amazing to see the size of it on uTube in comparison to "ordinary" craft.

I would love to see it in real time. But hey ho. Probably won't.

That is some big bird alright.

Amazing to see the size of it on uTube in comparison to "ordinary" craft.

I would love to see it in real time. But hey ho. Probably won't.

It is absolutely amazing to see it up close. Great to see it take off.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,467 ✭✭✭h3000

The 124 just flew directly over my house at 4000ft. Some noise of it.

0118 999 881 999 119 725 3

• Registered Users Posts: 1,254 ✭✭✭Oops!

Shannon757 wrote: »
    It is absolutely amazing to see it up close. Great to see it take off.

Was lucky enough to see one lifting off right in front of me at the end of RW24 2 years ago... The noise and the 4 lines of black smoke from the engines was unreal!

Just in front of it was a 757 heading stateside..... The difference was unreal!

• Registered Users Posts: 15,925 ✭✭✭✭Spanish Eyes

Ah well, to see the Antonov is on the bucket list!

Will have to be happy enough seeing the clips on Youtube for now though!

What a beast, how it gets off the ground fully loaded is beyond me! But that's aircraft for ya.

Ah well, to see the Antonov is on the bucket list!

Will have to be happy enough seeing the clips on Youtube for now though!

What a beast, how it gets off the ground fully loaded is beyond me! But that's aircraft for ya.

The best Antonov to see is the 225. Was out to see one leave Shannon a few years back, the noise of it is simple amazing. Big difference from a 225 to an A320/737.

• Registered Users Posts: 206 ✭✭Rocko

• Registered Users Posts: 10,108 ✭✭✭✭Oscar Bravo

Should be an Omni Air 767-300

• Registered Users Posts: 1,197 ✭✭✭arubex

Thomson B738 G-TAWC departed Dublin 07:54 on a Santa daytrip.

https://fr24.com/TOM9VT/bda009b

• Registered Users Posts: 581 ✭✭✭pepe the prawn

Ryanair 68 EI-SEV doing a circuit in Dublin..

• Registered Users Posts: 3,811 ✭✭✭billie1b

Ryanair 68 EI-SEV doing a circuit in Dublin..

She has to do a few runs every 7 or 8 days or else she has to go in for a major check that costs more than she is worth, so its cheaper to burn fuel for a half hour

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,081 ✭✭✭fricatus

billie1b wrote: »
    She has to do a few runs every 7 or 8 days or else she has to go in for a major check that costs more than she is worth, so its cheaper to burn fuel for a half hour

I don't get it - is that a private jet or something? They wouldn't be leaving a 737 sitting around doing nothing, I imagine.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement