Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Guardians Of The Galaxy Vol 2

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,115 ✭✭✭✭Nervous Wreck

I have a lot of mixed feelings about Volume 2. I think it's the first time since Thor: The Dark World that I've felt a bit let down. That said it was great. But a lot of it just felt... weird.

When I first heard that Quill's dad wouldn't be
    J'sonn
    , I was a little skeptical... when he turned out to be
    Ego, The Living Planet
    , I was downright weirded out. I really didn't like
    Quill having superpowers
    but I was glad that
    they're now gone
    . I also thought there was an over-reliance on Baby Groot and the soundtrack, which was weaker than in vol. 1, though that's entirely subjective. I really didn't like any of the Earth stuff either but there wasn't much so whatever...

What I loved? The team
    being rounded out by Yondu, Mantis and Nebula
    . Every moment with Yondu, Drax, Nebula and
    Mantis
    . I also loved the random characters that showed up, in particular
    The Watchers
    . The action was a lot of fun, the comedy was spot on and there were some really great emotional moments. I think I need more time to digest and another viewing...

• Registered Users Posts: 1,349 ✭✭✭GhostyMcGhost

The shot of ego from space was absolutely stunning

• Registered Users Posts: 14,648 ✭✭✭✭McDermotX

Not good.

Not the worst film ever by any means, just insipidly bland. Couple moments it raises the spirits, but the overall lack of character, story and vapid content just makes the relentless CGI boring and tiresome.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,128 ✭✭✭_CreeD_

M3h...+1
    a 7/10

Well produced filler.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 34,528 CMod ✭✭✭✭CiDeRmAn

I had a ball with it, it was the polar opposite of the po-faced realism seen in the DCCU and was all the better for it.
    Better than IM3 and T:DW, which for me are the low tide marks of the MCU, certainly not as good as the original but capturing that bottled lightning was always going to be difficult.
    Drax was a riot from start to finish, and the scenes with him and Mantis was very well done.
    The opening was a lot of fun, bigger the screen the better, with lots going on in the background, felt like a series of panes straight from the comic.
    All in all I got what I wanted, hard in such a spectacle movie to generate the type of storylines that we've come to expect from the likes of Daredevil or Jessica Jones, but it was a lot of fun.
    The fin search gag did drag on just a little bit too long though....

I was more disappointed that it didn't mitre with the upcoming Thor or Avengers pictures at all.
    I expected some sort of lead in, as we saw at the end of Dr Strange, particularly when we
    saw the Ego powered calamity on Earth
    but to no avail.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 400 ✭✭mickmac76

Saw this last night and I thought it was good but not as good as the first one. The fight scenes have too much going on in them.

• Registered Users Posts: 23,154 ✭✭✭✭pjohnson

BMMachine wrote: »
    that movie was a piece of crap. don't wanna come across as an edgelord or whatever but my jesus, in long parts boring and in short parts confusing. A whole bunch of sh*t shoved on to the screen and little to nothing happens. Completely overloaded with characters that you barely give a toss about and just this blunt, heavy handed and plodding approach to everything
    groot getting the fin for your mans head... a scene that does nothing and takes too long but hey look at the thing doing a thing isnt the thing cute... fine and all but not for the 500th time in a movie

Im really sorry and I know I sound like a cynical fart beating the same drum, but if thats 'good' then standards have really dropped so god damn far. Is that all you need to do now? Throw a bunch of colourful sh*t on the screen and make derpy jokes? And Michael Bay gets a hard time? If thats what good is now than the narrative is that Michael Bay is a good director and a visionary who was doing this long before it was cool. Thats where we/you are

Have to wonder why you even bothered watching it.

Wasnt dissapointed lol why bother wasting money on something you decided months ago is awful?
    excellent film. best comic film by a country mile.
    they reduced everything down and didnt overload it with meaningless crap and you know what, they got it bang right. Should be a lesson on how to construct a really quality comic book film...
    but Guardians of the Galaxy is out next month and well I don't want to give the plot away but Rob Schneider derp de durr and then one day derp de derpy derpy derp and then a talking plant derp de derr with a racoon! But its from the makers of Durrr and Dumpility dump de derr de Derr and its part of the cinematic DERRRRRRR universe so you know its going to be good

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11,348 ✭✭✭✭ricero

Rocket racoon is the mvp of the marvel movies for me. I thought both rooker and russell were good in this

• Registered Users Posts: 7,332 ✭✭✭Dave_The_Sheep

ricero wrote: »
    Rocket racoon is the mvp of the marvel movies for me. I thought both rooker and russell were good in this

Also the only one of them that didn't really get any closure at the end of this film. He's still completely ****ed up in the head and full of rage.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 10,969 ✭✭✭✭alchemist33

It was very good with lots of laugh out loud moments. The story was weaker than the first as was the finale but still very enjoyable.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,815 ✭✭✭SimonTemplar

Watched the first one again last night and enjoyed it as much as I did the first time (I've seen it three times now). One of Marvel's best.

Just back from the second one. It has a few good scenes but overall it is a disappointment. It doesn't have any of the charm or entertainment value as the first one. I'd say the humor in the first one was pretty spot on and natural, but most of the jokes in the second one felt very forced and got no laughs at all. The ongoing joke about a character being ugly might have got a chuckle the first time, but not the tenth time. And after some fairly clever verbal humor in the first, we ended up with a character saying he makes massive sh*ts in this new one. Sigh!

I thought Drax was very underused. Dave Bautista is such a beast but most of his screentime was making stupid jokes and laughing. I don't remember any decent fight scene he was in.

I also think there are fundamental story issues. Splitting up the team early in the movie was a mistake, turning Quill into a
    demigod
    really went against the lovable rogue aspect of his character, and there are far too many storylines.

The finale resorted to two powerful entities hitting each other CGI-fest which is never interesting and a complete cliche at this point. I think Marvel forgot how clever it was with Dr. Strange avoiding that particular trap.

On the plus side, I did like Baby Groot and Nebula. It never got as bad as the current DC universe movies, and Rocket had some pretty decent moments. There is also some de-aging CGI near the beginning which was absolutely seamless, just like Michael Douglas in Ant-Man.

I'd give it 3/5. I really wanted to spend more time with these characters but this is a disappointment - I expected more.

• Site Banned Posts: 2,094 ✭✭✭BMMachine

pjohnson wrote: »
    Wasnt dissapointed lol why bother wasting money on something you decided months ago is awful?

I had other reasons to go to the cinema :p ya know...
    well,I liked the first one. It was a surprise and was fun and was actually dealing with stuff connected the main MCU story. like 6.5/10, quite watchable. This one though, good lord.
    They crash on a planet, Kurt Russell shows up, they go to Kurt Russell: The Planet, fart around being derps, fight Kurt Russell - end. Oh there was stuff with a racoon and your man from the walking dead which was boring. nothing really happens, there is no real changes - like he found his dad, his dad was a dick and they barely knew each other, decides walking dead guy is his dad - who then dies, and we are back where we started... a boy lost in space without his Dad but found his family in weird space creatures - the exact same ending and resolution as the first film.
    All the film actually did was throw stuff at the screen and crack wise. Im sorry if I want a story or something with actual meaning and emotions. But as I said, if this is what is considered good - then Michael Bay is a genius and an innovator, thing is Michael Bay doesn't mince about and pretend hes creating anything of any real value, just movies with explosions for kids -which is basically what Guardians 2 is

• Registered Users Posts: 12,775 ✭✭✭✭Gbear

Far more good than bad.

A few of the scenes fell flat, a few of the jokes fell flat, a few of the characters fell flat, but seldom all at the same time, and there was always something good around the corner to get things back on track.

For all the reputation as the "jokey" films I thought it had a credible degree of emotional punch to a more authentic and substantial degree than probably any other comic book film.

Super mega spoiler for the end:
    While the wake of Yondu was a bit OTT (still pretty to look at, mind you) his death, with Peter and him in each others arms, was maybe the best scene in any Marvel film and the real pain in Chris Pratts voice sold it perfectly.
    It wasn't some melodramatic howl. It was cracking, it was confused and it felt real. I may have teared up just a little bit.

Most of these Marvel films are really well cast so to me they shine, first and foremost, outside of the big epic fight scenes. This one was a little more reserved than the previous film, and while I'd agree with the poster saying Drax was underused for action, otherwise I thought he was really good, again, providing a solid emotional underpinning to the film despite the outwardly firvolous tone.
    It was like that with the whole cast - even Rocket was grand in this one, after just being annoying and his jokes being on the nose in the first film.

There was, of course, an element of saccharine-ness to the whole thing, but I thought the performances sold it anyway.

I'd recommend it if you like soft sci fi, comic book films or comedy but it's not a perfect example of any of those genres, instead blending them to make something that's somewhere between good and great.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,815 ✭✭✭SimonTemplar

^^^^^

My post was harsh but reflected my feelings about the movie, but I fully agree with the spoiler part in your post.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,988 ✭✭✭constitutionus

ricero wrote: »

spin off movie prehaps ?

the lad actually does have a fun origin story. bat**** insane but fun.

I had other reasons to go to the cinema :p ya know...
    well,I liked the first one. It was a surprise and was fun and was actually dealing with stuff connected the main MCU story. like 6.5/10, quite watchable. This one though, good lord.
    They crash on a planet, Kurt Russell shows up, they go to Kurt Russell: The Planet, fart around being derps, fight Kurt Russell - end. Oh there was stuff with a racoon and your man from the walking dead which was boring. nothing really happens, there is no real changes - like he found his dad, his dad was a dick and they barely knew each other, decides walking dead guy is his dad - who then dies, and we are back where we started... a boy lost in space without his Dad but found his family in weird space creatures - the exact same ending and resolution as the first film.
    All the film actually did was throw stuff at the screen and crack wise. Im sorry if I want a story or something with actual meaning and emotions. But as I said, if this is what is considered good - then Michael Bay is a genius and an innovator, thing is Michael Bay doesn't mince about and pretend hes creating anything of any real value, just movies with explosions for kids -which is basically what Guardians 2 is

So what part of the original met "actual meaning and emotions"...........I get people wanting to be a hipster and dislike new stuff but a 6.5/10 isnt exactly a high review. Why you would bother with a sequel is odd. And the original GOTG was by far one of the least connected MCU movies.......

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 9,664 Mod ✭✭✭✭Manach

I enjoyed the movie, but did not think it was quiet as fresh as the original and I think that baby-groot was designed for marketing toys. Saying that, it was entertaining, good CGI and the Music was was golden 80s.

I still do a double-take with the Kirk chap from Gilmore girls in it.

So what part of the original met "actual meaning and emotions"...........I get people wanting to be a hipster and dislike new stuff but a 6.5/10 isnt exactly a high review. Why you would bother with a sequel is odd. And the original GOTG was by far one of the least connected MCU movies.......

6.5 - 7 is exactly what id give something that was entertaining and watchable but nothing special. Well the original had the whole group getting together and getting used to each other which provoked more emotions than this film. Also Thanos and Infinity Stones were in it so yeah it was connected, not massively but it had a lot to do with the end game which was good to see.
    It isn't about disliking new stuff, i really like Logan and plenty of other new movies. Its just that this is crap and is getting the "oh its good!" treatment and getting away with being so god damn poor just like Rogue One, Jurassic World and a whole host of other new movies. Just complete distortion "I like this, my personal tastes are important to me, therefore this is good" instead of being able to go "that was really poor but I enjoyed it"

it is okay to like bad things

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 29,094 CMod ✭✭✭✭johnny_ultimate

Mod note: BMMachine, you've ruined too many threads with these endless 'you're all wrong' crusades of yours. We don't like issuing thread bans but we will if we have to, so please consider this a polite request to cut it out. Thanks.

• Advertisement

6.5 - 7 is exactly what id give something that was entertaining and watchable but nothing special. Well the original had the whole group getting together and getting used to each other which provoked more emotions than this film. Also Thanos and Infinity Stones were in it so yeah it was connected, not massively but it had a lot to do with the end game which was good to see.
    It isn't about disliking new stuff, i really like Logan and plenty of other new movies. Its just that this is crap and is getting the "oh its good!" treatment and getting away with being so god damn poor just like Rogue One, Jurassic World and a whole host of other new movies. Just complete distortion "I like this, my personal tastes are important to me, therefore this is good" instead of being able to go "that was really poor but I enjoyed it"

it is okay to like bad things

"I dislike this, my personal tastes are important to me, therefore this is awful."

• Registered Users Posts: 6,208 ✭✭✭marklazarcovic

Well I loved it and would go again,a great follow up,you can't expect to be blown away every time you see a film.

I usually take these movies as stand alones and not take stoylines very very seriously,makes it more enjoyable for me.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,793 ✭✭✭FunLover18

I loved the first but the crowbarring in of Thanos did absolutely nothing for me, in fact it really takes away from the film and completely fails to set up Thanos as a credible threat when you think about it. Ronan goes rogue and steals the infinity stone for himself and Thanos just sits in his chair doing F-all and then he just lets the Guardians deliver it to Nova Corps.

I loved Vol 2 (and actually prefer it to the first) because it lacks that MCU interconnectivity and is allowed to be its own thing (
    I'm actually quite nervous about seeing these characters in Infinity War
    ). The fact that it doesn't have to worry about introducing the characters also really helps. We know who they are and we know their relationship to each other and it showed Gunn's confidence in that that he was able to separate the group but still have those bonds there during the final third. Nevertheless this is much more Peter's story than a Guardians story but that didn't bother me as the others still got their moments,
    also Peter wouldn't have been able to defeat Ego without them
    , and also Chris Pratt just knocked it out of the park.
    The moments when he realises that Ego killed his mother and when Yondu dies are pitch perfect.
    I completely agree with posters that some of the jokes don't land or are over-used but when the characterisation is so good I'm quite happy to overlook that. The story is thin (and admittedly doesn't hold much threat) but it serves its purpose and the characters' arcs are completed. Re lack of action; frankly I think Yondu's whistle-arrow is one of the coolest things in the MCU so that didn't bother me at all, I really enjoyed
    Rocket taking out the Ravagers and while the final battle between Peter and Ego isn't the best I've ever seen, you could really feels Peter's rage

I loved it and I think it is a great film but what do I know, durpa derp.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,775 ✭✭✭✭Gbear

Its just that this is crap and is getting the "oh its good!" treatment and getting away with being so god damn poor just like Rogue One, Jurassic World and a whole host of other new movies.

Did anyone argue that Rogue One and Jurassic World were good though?

They made a lot of money but in terms of doing that and getting generally solid critical acclaim, films like Guardians are a different kettle of fish.

This didn't feel like bland corporate goop, like Jurassic World, or cobbled together and stretched too thin like Rogue One.

It was well excecuted, it had a coherent plot, it had a good cast.
    It seems like a low bar to make a film competently but when your main selling point is explosions, that's not as common as it should be among these big budget action-oriented films.

Ok they are annoying me now with horse head skeletons.
    Bring him on or stop!!

(please bring him on)

"I dislike this, my personal tastes are important to me, therefore this is awful."

no its awful for a lot more reasons but I am not sure if Im allowed to talk about them. Im unsure if Im even allowed to post this and reply to you. My other posts on this thread talk about those reasons if you want to read them.
    The film so far has made over $100million on its opening weekend now. Its a good racket

• Registered Users Posts: 6,793 ✭✭✭FunLover18

You're allowed talk about reasons for not liking something, you're not allowed state your opinions as fact and then slate anyone who disagrees. It's pretty simple.

FunLover18 wrote: »
    You're allowed talk about reasons for not liking something, you're not allowed state your opinions as fact and then slate anyone who disagrees. It's pretty simple.

I can't respond to this in the way I'd like to as I'm pretty sure a mod will want to ban me for it based on previous experiences

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 29,094 CMod ✭✭✭✭johnny_ultimate

no its awful for a lot more reasons but I am not sure if Im allowed to talk about them. Im unsure if Im even allowed to post this and reply to you.

Feel free to talk about the reasons you dislike the film itself, as plenty of others have in this thread have. Hell I myself have barely a good word to say about quite a few of the Marvel films I've seen (I just don't bother watching them anymore).

Just please lay off the silly, thread-derailing "the film is **** and everyone who disagrees is wrong" schtick :)

• Advertisement

well the big problem with this film is that it does nothing. It has the same resolutions as the last film and our crew barely go anywhere or barely get involved with anything connected to anything else. In long parts of this film its just boring, sitting around on Kurt Russell: The Planet waiting for the action to come to them. The film is riddled with too many characters and too much stuff going on which has little consequence. This is a problem directly tied into the main issue of the film doing nothing as there is a complete lack of focus on the main plot which is instead subsidised by telling and not showing, a cardinal sin and just makes you not care. There is (as with all the Disney films) a complete lack of sexuality and everyone seems to be walking around like they have been castrated, anything that would provide emotion or context in this way (such as Starlords relationship with Gomorrah) is once again - told, not shown. There is extremely little to grab onto in this film, so little context for anything and its absolutely wafer thin.

It does have pretty colours and a big FX budget and explosions happen and all that but Im sorry, that is so run of the mill for todays films - they all have this, it doesn't score points for having spent a lot of money. The film itself does know its weaknesses and is fully aware of them, otherwise it wouldnt be distracting you all the time with a baby tree or cracking wise - anything to stop you thinking. The villain was again terrible as is the way with all these Marvel films and there was no stakes we haven't heard of before, no connections other than a hamfisted one with no emotional content. This is why I believe it is a fact that this film is garbage. There is nothing to it and elicits no emotional response and is bad story telling (literally that, telling ). All the derpy, repeatable and easily set up jokes in the world and all the cutesy aliens acting stupid in the world won't solve those problems, though they do serve their purpose well in distracting away from them.

Honestly would have walked out of the cinema but it would have been rude :p (little did I know the person who I went with felt the exact same way and we could have avoided a lot of bother!)

2/10 (is that better than 1 out of 5?)

Advertisement