Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Guardians Of The Galaxy Vol 2

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,584 ✭✭✭Frank O. Pinion

Well, that was awful.

I got tired of Bautista's stupid laugh, after the first chuckle. What a change of character in (storyline terms) a few months.

There's was no drama or excitement in this film, no surprising twists or turns, nothing that made it unique or original.

The "comedic" dialogue was wretched, horrible, cringey stuff. If anyone actually thought the comedy was genuinely funny and intelligent comedy...what else do you enjoy? The Big Bang Theory and Mrs. Brown's Boys? Probably a bit cliché to bring those up, but the "humour" in this film was as bad as those. "Tazerface"...ugh.

Instead of a dozen post-credit scenes, Marvel should just play an actual trailer for their next film.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,793 ✭✭✭FunLover18

Dunno what it is about this film but this is the second time someone who hasn't liked it has questioned the taste of those who did.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,542 ✭✭✭✭Tony EH

Well, I won't question the taste of people who liked the film but, like the first effort I found it twee, largely beyond my ability to tolerate. I know it's a comedy and all, but the producers of Marvel films keep trying to inflate their empty stories with a drama that just falls flat on its face, because nobody in the film gives a damn about any situation they find themselves in. Consequently, why should I?

A case in point, they kill off Yondu...but who cares? It's just the producers ticking a box. Somebody front and centre has to die. Pick the one that has the least impact. Meanwhile, everyone flies around with lasers pinging all over the place...but they don't give a crap. It's all meh. What's my next snappy line?

On a plus side, a Marvel film actually had a semi-memorable villian. But I think that had more to do with the fact that it was Kurt Russell than anything else.

There are a few genuine laughs here and there - "I don't know Cheers is" - but far too few for a comedy and it's really just marking time til it's over and some of the humour is just so laboured.

It's not a bad film. But it not good either and it doesn't live long in the memory, much like every Marvel film I've watched. I can't remember huge chunks of it already. These films, like the MCU overall, are just the epitome of multiplex mulch.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,793 ✭✭✭FunLover18

All valid criticism which I, myself, disagree with and I'm sure we could have an interesting discussion was I not at work. I just don't understand those who try to belittle and shame those who disagree, especially in their first post on the film. It just reeks of trying to get some sort of reaction.

If people like the film as a superhero action film or whatever fine, but I was talking about the "comedy", horrible unfunny stuff. I can't understand grown adults actually laughing at that stuff. Like the quarter/third "joke", that is moronically stupid. I laugh at Curb Your Enthusiasm, not the painful, "humorous" dialogue in this.

Also, it's my first post on this film, because I don't discuss films in general much before watching them. I watch it, state my opinion, frankly, and I do not care if it gets a "reaction" or not.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,750 ✭✭✭Avatar MIA

I watch it, state my opinion, frankly, and I do not care if it gets a "reaction" or not.

At least 'it does what it says on the tin', but no matter how frank, it's of no greater importance than any other opinion. I think Curb your Enthusiasm is torturous. I know others LOVE it. C'est la vie.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,115 ✭✭✭✭Nervous Wreck

If people like the film as a superhero action film or whatever fine, but I was talking about the "comedy", horrible unfunny stuff. I can't understand grown adults actually laughing at that stuff. Like the quarter/third "joke", that is moronically stupid. I laugh at Curb Your Enthusiasm, not the painful, "humorous" dialogue in this.

Also, it's my first post on this film, because I don't discuss films in general much before watching them. I watch it, state my opinion, frankly, and I do not care if it gets a "reaction" or not.

You can't understand people having different tastes in comedy than you?

No, I can't understand grown adults thinking the comedy in this film is actually funny. I don't respect the opinion of people who would laugh at this film's "jokes". Arrested Development is funny, this was torturous. It's as bad as The Big Bang Theory, that kind of obvious, unsubtle "comedy".

but no matter how frank, it's of no greater importance than any other opinion.
    No sh*t.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,224 ✭✭✭marklazarcovic

Quite an apt user name.

I'm 43 ,found both films to be brilliant,I hate bbt with a passion..

For a film derived from comics I just go to be entertained,not for huge in depth storylines. I won't care how the universe's mix or meet,so long as it's a good movie .

Gotg are the best of those comic movies for me,love the character's. Everyones different.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 16,115 ✭✭✭✭Nervous Wreck

No, I can't understand grown adults thinking the comedy in this film is actually funny. I don't respect the opinion of people who would laugh at this film's "jokes". Arrested Development is funny, this was torturous. It's as bad as The Big Bang Theory, that kind of obvious, unsubtle "comedy".

I'd suggest then that you have quite an immature outlook and should probably just focus on the stuff you like and pay no mind to what other like. Sounds like it just frustrates you.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 22,680 CMod ✭✭✭✭Sad Professor

Can we keep it friendly please, guys. I'll remind everyone of the following from the charter:
    The 'attack the post, not the poster' rule extends to more generalised posts. Condescending comments or generalised insults aimed at everyone and anyone who disagrees with you are just as bad as attacking an individual. You can easily argue for and against a film without having to make judgements on anyone whose opinion might differ from your own. These sorts of generalised attacks always have a toxic effect on discussion, and posters who use them will receive warnings or infractions and likely have their post deleted.

FunLover18 wrote: »
    All valid criticism which I, myself, disagree with and I'm sure we could have an interesting discussion was I not at work. I just don't understand those who try to belittle and shame those who disagree, especially in their first post on the film. It just reeks of trying to get some sort of reaction.

I think it's merely an effort to back up their opinon. But, it's unnecessarily accusatory and it's entirely the wrong way to do it, of course.

The opinon that you didn't like the film is perfectly fine and there are a ton of reasons why you can dislike Guardians of the Galaxy, or any other Marvel film. The finger pointing, casting aspersions, or further elaborations on someone elses taste isn't needed.

Of course, the opposite applies too. You have the happy clappy crowd who claim that these films are the greatest thing to grace the screen and will gladly gloss over any glaring problems with screenplay, character, dialogue, etc because they can't handle valid criticism of "their" franchise.

My overall issue with the MCU is that they're not really films. It's a marketing strategy around which movies are hung on. The sales concern comes first - everything else is secondary or even tertiary. They're woefully thin on story, have no real lasting effect and are utterly disposable. It's an ongoing problem with modern "blockbuster" franchises.

It's not a problem for the megacorp that produces them, of course. It's just, as a film fan, it has become extremely tiresome to sit down to the latest and greatest only to find, yet again, that it's just really average fare with a high level of glossy veneer slopped on top to hide the fact that the materials underneath are quite flimsy.

Although, as a model, Mavel isn't the worst. I was happy that 'Ghostbusters' sank for Sony, I was delighted that the so called "Dark Universe" began and ended with 'The Mummy', which was an idea that pisses on the great Universal monster movies of the 30's. But, it seems everything these days is aimed at creating a franchise to milk money, instead of simply trying to make a good film.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,205 ✭✭✭✭B.A._Baracus

Surprised to see a lot of people didn't quite like this or didn't think too much of it.

Personally I thought it was great.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,558 ✭✭✭✭dreamers75

Seen it a few times now and sadly for it, its not better than the 1st one. Its good very good even but not better.

I think that is normal in sequels, I find the actors are just having a laugh with these characters thats good to see.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 29,719 CMod ✭✭✭✭johnny_ultimate

James Gunn fired from the sequel after old tweets were dug up:

https://www.hollywoodreporter.com/heat-vision/james-gunn-exits-guardians-galaxy-vol-3-1128786

I mean... this is the guy who made Slither, Tromeo and Juliet, Super... surely they knew there was some dark humour back in the past :pac:

But another reminder of how ****ed up the ideological social media wars are, aimed at getting people from the other side ‘cancelled’.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 22,680 CMod ✭✭✭✭Sad Professor

WTF?

Oh FFS

Seth McFarlane is fecked when Disney buy Fox so

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,690 ✭✭✭Mokuba

I'm usually the first to roll my eyes when old tweets result in dismissal, but he said some really sick sh*t.

https://mobile.twitter.com/jackposobiec/status/1020229342549413890?s=21

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 29,719 CMod ✭✭✭✭johnny_ultimate

They’re lazy edgelord jokes at best. But make no mistake: this was an outrage manufactured by trolls like Mike Cernovich and Jack Posobiec who give not one single **** about the jokes and were just out for blood. Another grim chapter in the culture wars.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,250 ✭✭✭✭flazio

They’re lazy edgelord jokes at best. But make no mistake: this was an outrage manufactured by trolls like Mike Cernovich and Jack Posobiec who give not one single **** about the jokes and were just out for blood. Another grim chapter in the culture wars.
    Yeah but 9 years ago. Plenty of us have changed our views in much shorter time. GOTG was Gunns baby. This is ridiculous.

• Administrators, Computer Games Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 32,395 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭Mickeroo

Yikes, I take it the execs hadnt watched super then or he never would have got the GOTG gig in the first place if this is anything to go by.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,984 ✭✭✭Venom

For lazy edgelord jokes they sure end's up in the pedo end of the pool fairly often.

https://i.redd.it/lmvcunn8n2b11.jpg

He was also was quick enough to try and get Laura Ingraham fired via Twitter outrage as well as having a go at other people simply because they had a difference of opinion.

Live by the Twitter mob, lose your job via the Twitter mob when it turns on you.

It's been suggested this was revenge for Roseanne.

I hate to say it but if you empower witch finder generals and send them on moral crusades, the reactionary gargoyles on the right are going to fire back. American conservatives have decades of experience of exposing liberals as hypocrites. They can do it their sleep. The funny thing is the way liberals are right now they'll probably devour Gunn all by themselves.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,447 ✭✭✭kerplun k

Wow, he’s actually fired.
    Some of those tweets are shocking tho.

What I don’t get is that these tweets have publicly existed since 2009. Why all of a sudden, is this highlighted now?

• Advertisement

kerplun k wrote: »
    Why all of a sudden, is this highlighted now?

Hello! Welcome to 2018, you must be new here! :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 2,447 ✭✭✭kerplun k

I’m gobsmacked.
    I don’t know how I feel about this.
    On one hand, the tweets are shocking, I know he was joking, but they don’t read well, there’s no getting around it, he crosses the line, but on the other hand, it was almost a decade ago, and funny or not, it was tweeted in jest.

Should Disney now go back and look at the social media history of every actor, writer, director and fire anyone who’s said something controversial on SM? It’s just crazy.

When is the past the past? I guess in terms of social media, it’s never. Note to everyone, never voice your honest opinion on your public social media account because everything you say will be recorded forever, and at any point can be used against you, Just stick to the Kardashian model and use it to sell f**king idiots make up and a false image and sense of worth, and never ever, ever think about saying anything honest or of any value. Don’t even think about using it to honesty express yourself.

It’s just f**king crazy.

Yeah, this sets an absolutely ridiculous precedent. The first Guardian movie came out in 2014. Gunn made these comment in 2009, long before he was employed by Disney. How can Disney justify firing him for this now?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,558 ✭✭✭✭dreamers75

Shame really, GTG was easily the best Marvel offering even if 2 was "more of the same".

I wonder if paddy power are offering odds on his brother directing 3.....................

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Regional East Moderators Posts: 18,509 CMod ✭✭✭✭The Black Oil

I hate to say it but if you empower witch finder generals and send them on moral crusades, the reactionary gargoyles on the right are going to fire back. American conservatives have decades of experience of exposing liberals as hypocrites. They can do it their sleep. The funny thing is the way liberals are right now they'll probably devour Gunn all by themselves.

Dan Fienberg (THR TV critic) said Disney didn't care much about Roseanne's old tweets until the one that got her fired. Whether this is revenge for that dismissal, I don't know. Agree with johnny that social media is a mess with people throwing rocks at each other.

• Advertisement

I imagine right now every Hollywood director on Twitter is deleting all their tweets. :D

It's looking like it was over Mark Duplass, one of the main cast members from The League TV show, who made a comment about following Ben Shapiro on Twitter.

“I don’t agree with him on much be he’s a genuine person who once helped me for no other reason than to be nice,” Duplass wrote on Twitter to his over 400,000 followers. “He doesn’t bend the truth. His intentions are good.”

The outrage mob turned on the guy who deleted his tweets and Gunn it seems stepped in to defend his friend (Duplass).

"Maybe you disagree with Mark Duplass, which is completely fair (personally I think even Ben Shapiro’s mother should unfollow him), Gunn wrote. But that doesn’t make Duplass’ point-of-view evil. There are a lot of traitors & racists in the country today. Perhaps save the outrage for them. Mark Duplass tweeting how you should follow an asshole because he thinks it’s the kind thing to do simply can’t be the bar for moral outrage,” Gunn added."

This put Gunn in the crosshairs of the mob who wen't a poking in his Tweets.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 87,496 ✭✭✭✭JP Liz V1

I imagine right now every Hollywood director on Twitter is deleting all their tweets. :D

And actor, actress, writer, any working Hollywood celeb :P 2018 is the year of #Metoo and trial by social media

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,917 ✭✭✭nix

To be honest, I'm surprised Gunn didnt do it before his job interview for GOTG, thats pre-cover letter **** right there :pac:

Very very lame stuff this all is at the end of the day :(

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 36,711 CMod ✭✭✭✭pixelburp

Went to the cinema, and come back to find this. Man we just can't have anything nice anymore (though Incredibles 2 was great )

Gunns tweets are pretty appalling attempts at edgy humour mind you - not that it justifies a sacking at all at all, but there is part of me that thinks: well, people need to learn that these days Tweets, posts are you saying these things. It's a stream of consciousness. If it sounds awful being spoken, and wouldn't dream of sharing it outloud, then don't post it online.

The retroactive sacking is galling though - and bang goes the remaining true creative talent in the MCU. Guess its the Russos forever and ever now. Yay.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,803 ✭✭✭Sirsok

I'd take a taika waitit guardians movies since last Thor was basically asguardians of the galaxy

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 36,711 CMod ✭✭✭✭pixelburp

Oh yeah, forgot about Watiti, OK so there's still a sliver. He'd be a good choice for GotG3 anyway.

kerplun k wrote: »
    Should Disney now go back and look at the social media history of every actor, writer, director and fire anyone who’s said something controversial on SM?
    ...yes? I, for one, have plenty more popcorn to eat. More stupid drama, please. To me, conservatives trying to defend Roseanne is just as funny as liberals trying to defend Gunn.

...yes? I, for one, have plenty more popcorn to eat. More stupid drama, please. To me, conservatives trying to defend Roseanne is just as funny as liberals trying to defend Gunn.

http://archive.is/ALlit

Well as Gunn himself said

"I wish some of these so-called defenders of liberty would start to understand what freedom of speech is AND isn’t. Roseanne is allowed to say whatever she wants. It doesn’t mean @ABCNetwork needs to continue funding her TV show if her words are considered abhorrent. "

So he must be really happy with this outcome :pac:

Yeah, this sets an absolutely ridiculous precedent.

With Roseanne at least it was a fresh controversy. That said, there’s been a few cases recently of publications having to unhire new hires nearly immediately after someone went a scavenging through tweets: https://www.thedailybeast.com/ny-times-hires-quickly-fires-quinn-norton-journalist-with-history-of-homophobic-tweets (a legitimate case of the left devouring itself, although the tweets are orders of magnitude worse than anything Gunn said).

Gunn does, IMO, have a tendency to fly close to the sun... incredibly outspoken generally, in the sort of ranty, hysterical style prevalent amongst a lot of US liberals these days (and I say that as a devout lefty). Maybe for Disney this was an outrage - manipulated as it was by bad faith actors like Cernovich - of convenience for someone who certainly doesn’t keep quiet and get on with the job (the Disney ideal, I reckon). Still, baffling that they didn’t fully vet Gunn if this was going to be an issue - Tromeo and Juliet and Super boast no shortage of bad taste humour, so can’t say those tweets - dumb as they are - are particularly surprising given the writer behind them.

Will be interesting to see if any of the Marvel stars take his side in this. Certainly the firing seems like the kind of thing someone like Chris Evans would have very strong feelings about.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,224 ✭✭✭marklazarcovic

Makes you wonder why they feel the need to use Twitter personal accounts, minefield.

There's a huge difference though Frankie.

Roseanne targeted a real person. Gunn is simply talking shit. Stupid, unfunny shit. But, it's still just shit.

In saying that, when will these morons learn to stay off of twitter?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,846 ✭✭✭✭Liam McPoyle

The media getting their hands on stuff and keeping it under wraps until it suits is not exclusive to the internet generation. When Paul McCartney and Heather Mills split up her previous erotica work mysteriously surfaced in the tabloids. It's scummy practice by scummy individuals but that is the world we inhabit.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 29,930 ✭✭✭✭TerrorFirmer

Bad-taste humour from a decade ago, and I'd say there's only one or two which are at truly offensive levels.

While the majority of it is just plain juvenile, really the whole affair is just a pathetic witch-hunt. Bravo, social media warriors.

Dave Bautista speaking out against the decision. Could see a scenario where Gunn is reinstated if the cast are vocal enough. Interesting to see where they all fall on this one.

https://twitter.com/davebautista/status/1020502763430559744?s=21

And while I never thought I’d have much cause to link to him, Ben Shapiro himself also suggesting the tweets didn’t justify a firing (with a hint of ‘this is the game everyone’s playing now’): https://www.dailywire.com/news/33371/should-james-gunn-have-lost-his-job-disney-ben-shapiro

Gunn has issued a grovelling apology, has much to learn, lollypops and rainbows, etc, so i guess there isn't going to be a lawsuit. I assume he got a big severance package and won't have any trouble signing onto a big blockbuster at another studio once he can show he's completed his penance. It seems he had already talked about his edgelord behaviour on social media in interviews a couple of years ago and said he had grown since then, which should make it easier to come back.

I don't think he'll get his Guardians gig back - not least because its possible Marvel/Disney wanted rid of him anyway and because they risk the wrath of the same people showering sympathy on him now that could turn on a dime if they think he's being let off the hook before spending some time in the wilderness.

Cernovich meanwhile told the Daily Beast this is just the beginning and he is planning an "open investigation into all of Hollywood".

Honestly I'd never heard of Mike Cernovich until this blew up, and reading a little sounds like an alt-Right shock merchant; if some of the (images of deleted) tweets are to believed, he has said as inappropriate, sh*tty things himself. Lots of mentions of rape and suchlike, and very much the wannabe alpha-male schtick, ugly women should know their place, etc. The difference I see being, Gunn made some godawful attempts at humour, Cernovich seems to reach for some 'telling it like it is' excuse for being a bit of a d*ck.

2018 Social Media: a garbage fire of discourse. The day Twitter goes out of business I will dance in the streets - truly. It's a total, utter pox on humanity.

Cernovich is a repugnant little man, without morals and known for conspiracy theories such as Pizzagate. A shameless hypocrite (and he doesn’t care) who was not one bit offended by the jokes, and used them solely as an excuse to try and take down an ideological opponent. I mean regardless of where one stands politically (and there’s similar cases on the other side), Cernovich is a horrid example of how toxic and warped the discourse has become.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,023 ✭✭✭✭Snake Plisken

Hope he is hired on to work on the DC movies. He would be perfect for the next Deadpool movie but as it's Marvel/Disney and I believe they are in the process of buying Fox so that's out. He should have deleted those tweets long ago.
    It's just a shame it wasn't Rian Johnson :D

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,156 ✭✭✭✭Rjd2

Dave Bautista speaking out against the decision. Could see a scenario where Gunn is reinstated if the cast are vocal enough. Interesting to see where they all fall on this one.

https://twitter.com/davebautista/status/1020502763430559744?s=21

And while I never thought I’d have much cause to link to him, Ben Shapiro himself also suggesting the tweets didn’t justify a firing (with a hint of ‘this is the game everyone’s playing now’): https://www.dailywire.com/news/33371/should-james-gunn-have-lost-his-job-disney-ben-shapiro

Ben has flaws, spends to much time trying to get a reaction and has said some dumb stuff (understatement) in the past, but at least he is consistent with his views when it comes to stuff on both sides.

Cernovich is not a free speech warrior like he claims, he is a grifter of the worst kind. If he was on the left he would be screaming "white privilege" at anyone who disagreed with him. He's a right wing social media warrior tbh.

However Gunn really should know better than to have this stuff out there, he knows this is how social media operates and he has so much to lose over this.

Advertisement