Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

New Development Royal Canal Park D15

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 153 ✭✭Bruncvik

I agree that the Garda are very responsive and trying their best. In their defense, I did not call 112, but instead filled their on-line form (included photos as well) when I got home. I personally was more startled than hurt - those were 13, 14-year old kids and didn't have the strength to do me actual harm. So I messaged Garda, asking for more patrols of the area, in case the kids attack more vulnerable people. I got a call later, where we clarified a few things, in particular:

1. The Guards don't have the resources to constantly patrol the canal, but they are trying their best.

2. I should use common sense: Not to go near the industrial estate on foot before Halloween, when the estate is full of feral teens collecting bonfire material.

3. Apparently, there is a common misconception (I had the same) that the Cabra Garda station is open only from 9:00 to 17:00, and that calling outside the hours would do no good. So in case of any criminal activity, one can call anytime, but 112 is preferred. I wrote, instead of phoning, for this particular reason.

Personally, though, I expect improvement over the next decade or two. With Luas, I would expect the industrial estate to be sold for new development - either more housing or an office park - with their own security, which should keep antisocial behavior under control.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,830 ✭✭✭RandomAccess

Bruncvik wrote: »
    Nice to see Google finally updated their maps. That would also explain why I see so many drivers stop at the bollards at Phelan Park and look lost - Google has the street open from both ends :)

You can submit a correction on Google maps.
    I've done so for some other routes in the past.
    Can you try that?

You can submit a correction on Google maps.
    I've done so for some other routes in the past.
    Can you try that?
    I did so even before I replied :) I actually drew the Phase 1 and 2 roads (including the bollards) in Open Street Maps a long time ago, and much of it got propagated into Mapquest (the latter doesn't have a feature for the bollards, so they show a through-way). Don't understand why Google only recently updated, after nearly a year of the data being available on OSM.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,309 ✭✭✭OfflerCrocGod

The only downside is that the insulation material, rock wool, is laid on the floor of the attic. It's fairly easy to compress it and place floorboards over it,
    Pretty sure that reduces the insulating ability of your attic.

Pretty sure that reduces the insulating ability of your attic.
    I would assume so as well, but after all four seasons I couldn't see a noticeable drop in energy efficiency yet. And eventually I plan on having insulation put on the roof itself.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 10 tippmon

yeah we noticed the same - we had it closed for a bit as we have yet to decorate it and when you go in it is baltic - seems to keep a little more heat if left open.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,905 ✭✭✭fret_wimp2

open house today with sherry fitz in the original show houses.

anyone who bought, it's worth a trip up to have a nose around , with hindsight in mind.

kitchen is quite different from what we ended up getting despite a few arguments to the contrary after moving in! dimensions also seem different in some rooms.

massive interest, constant stream of people which is a great sign, and price lists and a new brochure up for grabs!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,717 ✭✭✭cronos

fret_wimp2 wrote: »

anyone who bought, it's worth a trip up to have a nose around , with hindsight in mind.

kitchen is quite different from what we ended up getting despite a few arguments to the contrary after moving in! dimensions also seem different in some rooms.

massive interest, constant stream of people which is a great sign, and price lists and a new brochure up for grabs!

Not around this weekend but if anyone goes could they post the photos? Or send via PM. Liked some of the decore choices in the 3 bed.

I didn't notice major difference in the kitchen. But I do much prefer the giant mirror they used in the family bathroom.

I have a laser measure if you want to borrow it to check any measurement.

cronos wrote: »
    Not around this weekend but if anyone goes could they post the photos? Or send via PM. Liked some of the decore choices in the 3 bed.

Didnt take any photos but got a brochure that has lots of pictures. The new styling of the Heron is(in my subjective opinion) not great, busy and cluttered.

Kitchen is nicer than ours, it has the large minerva top with minerva breakfast bar, not the much lower wooden shelf/breakfast bar we got in phase 3(i think). We do have an extra little press on the side of the island that is not in the showhouse.

Living room felt smaller, as did the main bedroom but i think thats just down to them being absolutely full of furniture, carpets, patterned wallpaper & sheets and lots of ornaments (clutter basically removed the bright airy feeling for me), but i think they are the same size.

Spare bedroom with no en-suite felt a bit smaller than ours.

Styling of the Ash(3 bed) is now much nicer, much less cluttered and busy. Kitchen is lovely, id happily swap it for our heron kitchen.

Big mirrors in the bathrooms are beautiful, i wish they put them in all the houses, probably the one thing i prefer from the show house(s).

Nice to go back and look at how a show house is presented though, its designed to give a plush, expensive feel with textured wallpapers, vases, jars, dishes and ornaments on every surface, quilted headboards, deep carpet etc, but IMO its not something you could live in.
    I would be tripping over the furniture, there's just too much of it, e.g. living room had two couches, ornament cabinet, chest of drawers, small chair, stool, big glass coffee table and drinks trolley, not to mention vases and flowers everywhere. Where's the space to actually live in and use the room? same with bedroom, stacks of old style suitcases on the window sill & on the floor, just taking up space. I would be much more objective if viewing show houses again!

I have a laser measure if you want to borrow it to check any measurement.
    Thanks for the offer, probably not worth the effort though, no changing the dimensions of our house now! Was just good to see. Seems to be more variation than i realized across different phases.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 38 1dav

How much are the houses in the new phase?

Didnt take any photos but got a brochure that has lots of pictures. The new styling of the Heron is(in my subjective opinion) not great, busy and cluttered.

Kitchen is nicer than ours, it has the large minerva top with minerva breakfast bar, not the much lower wooden shelf/breakfast bar we got in phase 3(i think). We do have an extra little press on the side of the island that is not in the showhouse.

Living room felt smaller, as did the main bedroom but i think thats just down to them being absolutely full of furniture, carpets, patterned wallpaper & sheets and lots of ornaments (clutter basically removed the bright airy feeling for me), but i think they are the same size.

Spare bedroom with no en-suite felt a bit smaller than ours.

Styling of the Ash(3 bed) is now much nicer, much less cluttered and busy. Kitchen is lovely, id happily swap it for our heron kitchen.

Big mirrors in the bathrooms are beautiful, i wish they put them in all the houses, probably the one thing i prefer from the show house(s).

Nice to go back and look at how a show house is presented though, its designed to give a plush, expensive feel with textured wallpapers, vases, jars, dishes and ornaments on every surface, quilted headboards, deep carpet etc, but IMO its not something you could live in.
    I would be tripping over the furniture, there's just too much of it, e.g. living room had two couches, ornament cabinet, chest of drawers, small chair, stool, big glass coffee table and drinks trolley, not to mention vases and flowers everywhere. Where's the space to actually live in and use the room? same with bedroom, stacks of old style suitcases on the window sill & on the floor, just taking up space. I would be much more objective if viewing show houses again!

Thanks for the offer, probably not worth the effort though, no changing the dimensions of our house now! Was just good to see. Seems to be more variation than i realized across different phases.

If anyone has a soft copy of the brochure let me know.

cronos wrote: »
    If anyone has a soft copy of the brochure let me know.

It's on the updated website, http://camden.royalcanalpark.com

Click download brochure and it gives you a PDF copy.

1dav wrote: »

Ash mid terrace from 385, Heron mid terrace from 445.

• Registered Users Posts: 15 amiurve

1dav wrote: »

Ash (3-bed) -EUR 385,000 starting
    4-bed - Starting EUR 445,000.

I'm interested in the Ash and booked it. But just wondering if the price is inflated and its worth it?
    If anyone can share their views would be greatly appreciated.

amiurve wrote: »

I'm interested in the Ash and booked it. But just wondering if the price is inflated and its worth it?

Only a question you can answer really as its your money and property is very subjective. Anyone who lives here has bought the property in the past 2-3 years and did so because they were happy with the price, build quality, location and other factors.

Yes they are more expensive than previous phases. That doesnt mean they are not worth prices being asked, demand is massive and the market is increasing, you're never going to get one at the previous phase price.

-If you viewed the houses, did you like them?
    -How do they compare to other houses you have viewed in the locality and in other areas you are interested in?
    -If Camden/RCP is more expensive than the other areas, is it worth it, to you based on its location, build quality, transport routes etc?

It depends. We got the Ash in the second phase, booked it 2 years ago and moved in October 2016. Here are some calculations we made, updated with hindsight and the current data:

* At 385k, assuming a 20% down payment, 3% mortgage interest rate and 30 years repayment, you're looking at 1300 Euros per month. In comparison, there are currently 3 properties to rent in the area, all apartments. A 1-bed is for 1250, a 2-bed for 1900 and a 3-bed for 2000. So from this perspective, it makes perfect sense to buy instead of renting.

* You have to take into account additional costs before moving in. For example, we had the house floored and painted by professionals, and purchased a garden shed. The additional costs for these was around 12k. You'll need at least the floors, which were close to 10k. Of course, you'll save if you can do them yourself.

* Energy costs are much lower than in existing houses and apartments. We pay between 60 and 120 per month for electricity, and we're very liberal with heating and cooking/baking.

* The houses are very well built, and you'll have the benefit of having some kinks worked out already (in particular the extractor fan insulation and a better quality kitchen splashboard), so the cost for upkeep will be initially lower than if you purchased an older building or apartment.

When we purchased, we paid a rent of 1550 in the city center, and we still considered the house to be a large net financial benefit. The only downside of owning a new build is that we are always frustrated when we try to get Ballymore fix any small issues. That stress is difficult to quantify, but I think it's still worth it.

One more advice to you and everyone else who purchased today: Don't believe anything Sherry Fitz says, regarding what can or cannot be done with the house. Once you sign the contract and pay the 20k deposit, stop talking to them and instead talk to Ballymore if you want any changes or additions to your house.

Only a question you can answer really as its your money and property is very subjective. Anyone who lives here has bought the property in the past 2-3 years and did so because they were happy with the price, build quality, location and other factors.

Yes they are more expensive than previous phases. That doesnt mean they are not worth prices being asked, demand is massive and the market is increasing, you're never going to get one at the previous phase price.

-If you viewed the houses, did you like them?
    -How do they compare to other houses you have viewed in the locality and in other areas you are interested in?
    -If Camden/RCP is more expensive than the other areas, is it worth it, to you based on its location, build quality, transport routes etc?

Thanks for the response. No doubt locality, number of options for commute is pretty attractive. Actually that's the reason of blocking the house today.

It depends. We got the Ash in the second phase, booked it 2 years ago and moved in October 2016. Here are some calculations we made, updated with hindsight and the current data:

* At 385k, assuming a 20% down payment, 3% mortgage interest rate and 30 years repayment, you're looking at 1300 Euros per month. In comparison, there are currently 3 properties to rent in the area, all apartments. A 1-bed is for 1250, a 2-bed for 1900 and a 3-bed for 2000. So from this perspective, it makes perfect sense to buy instead of renting.

* You have to take into account additional costs before moving in. For example, we had the house floored and painted by professionals, and purchased a garden shed. The additional costs for these was around 12k. You'll need at least the floors, which were close to 10k. Of course, you'll save if you can do them yourself.

* Energy costs are much lower than in existing houses and apartments. We pay between 60 and 120 per month for electricity, and we're very liberal with heating and cooking/baking.

* The houses are very well built, and you'll have the benefit of having some kinks worked out already (in particular the extractor fan insulation and a better quality kitchen splashboard), so the cost for upkeep will be initially lower than if you purchased an older building or apartment.

When we purchased, we paid a rent of 1550 in the city center, and we still considered the house to be a large net financial benefit. The only downside of owning a new build is that we are always frustrated when we try to get Ballymore fix any small issues. That stress is difficult to quantify, but I think it's still worth it.

One more advice to you and everyone else who purchased today: Don't believe anything Sherry Fitz says, regarding what can or cannot be done with the house. Once you sign the contract and pay the 20k deposit, stop talking to them and instead talk to Ballymore if you want any changes or additions to your house.

Many Thanks for the detailed reply and the advise. It helps a lot in making a decision.

The only downside of owning a new build is that we are always frustrated when we try to get Ballymore fix any small issues. That stress is difficult to quantify, but I think it's still worth it.

I doubt this will be any different regardless of who the developer is, and from any dealings I've had with Ballymore pretty good. They are onsite so no long lead time to get professionals out, and I've found them very fair, they dont push back if something should have been done or needs fixing.

Its a little more difficult when dealing with vendors who have warranties on specific parts of the house, such as the kitchen and the heating system. Ballymore wont touch these.
    We had some issues getting work done by the kitchen company in the beginning but it looks like they now have someone in managing the office, communications and scheduling. Responses to queries are now quite quick, work is now scheduled and gets done at the agreed time, which is a huge improvement and removes a lot of headaches.

This x10000. There's nothing wrong with someone saying "i dont know but let me find out and get back to you tomorrow".Sherry Fitz will never say "i dont know" to a question, they just guess the answer, usually incorrectly.

Anything you ask them, double check with Ballymore & maybe post up here also.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,671 ✭✭✭PhoenixParker

I've no idea what the rest of the market is doing at the moment but in terms of phase 1/phase 2:

1) the houses were underpriced in the first phase. The market was only starting to take off, the supply pinch was only becoming really apparent on the buying end. The area was very unfinished and Rathborne was clearly the much nicer area. The Luas was over two years away and barely on site. The overall feel of the area could only be imagined from the planing. They wanted to generate excitement and make sure they sold quickly. These were the only 3 beds new builds inside the m50 at under (albeit just barely) 300k. I remember being surprised at the price then. Similar stuff in rathborne/ashtown gate and the nicer bits of carbs was far more.

2) since then the area has materially improved. The playground is in, much of the vacant land is built on or under construction. The Luas is open. The small parks and canal front are there. You can tell a lot about your future neighbours.The risk that everything will stall out (as happened to the 2006 buyers) is much lower.

3) the remaining improvements are much closer to completion, the land for the school is at conveyancing stage, the new train station is close to tender if not already there. The aldi is under construction and it's listed as due to open in August.

The above are all things that will increase property prices in any area. They're a risk the early phases took that is eliminated or lessened. Whether they amount to 90k in 2 and a bit years is up to you to decide and to compare to what else is out there at the same price.

I'll say that I love living here. Commute wise I don't think anywhere else in the city is better. Anywhere in the centre is easily accessed in under 45mins and the m50 is ten minutes away. Neighbours are lovely, house is great and the amenities nearby are second to none.

I doubt this will be any different regardless of who the developer is, and from any dealings I've had with Ballymore pretty good. They are onsite so no long lead time to get professionals out, and I've found them very fair, they dont push back if something should have been done or needs fixing.
    Once you get them out to your house, they are pretty quick. My frustration is with getting someone to come over. Last year, it took three months since my first request, and only a direct mail to Ballymore central office got things moving. This time is more serious (leak into one of the extractor fan exhausts causes water to drip down when it rains), so after two weeks of no responses I'll be hammering the central office beginning Monday.

I've no idea what the rest of the market is doing at the moment but in terms of phase 1/phase 2:

1) the houses were underpriced in the first phase. The market was only starting to take off, the supply pinch was only becoming really apparent on the buying end. The area was very unfinished and Rathborne was clearly the much nicer area. The Luas was over two years away and barely on site. The overall feel of the area could only be imagined from the planing. They wanted to generate excitement and make sure they sold quickly. These were the only 3 beds new builds inside the m50 at under (albeit just barely) 300k. I remember being surprised at the price then. Similar stuff in rathborne/ashtown gate and the nicer bits of carbs was far more.

2) since then the area has materially improved. The playground is in, much of the vacant land is built on or under construction. The Luas is open. The small parks and canal front are there. You can tell a lot about your future neighbours.The risk that everything will stall out (as happened to the 2006 buyers) is much lower.

3) the remaining improvements are much closer to completion, the land for the school is at conveyancing stage, the new train station is close to tender if not already there. The aldi is under construction and it's listed as due to open in August.

The above are all things that will increase property prices in any area. They're a risk the early phases took that is eliminated or lessened. Whether they amount to 90k in 2 and a bit years is up to you to decide and to compare to what else is out there at the same price.

I'll say that I love living here. Commute wise I don't think anywhere else in the city is better. Anywhere in the centre is easily accessed in under 45mins and the m50 is ten minutes away. Neighbours are lovely, house is great and the amenities nearby are second to none.

Thank you for writing such a detailed response. Its really helpful. Its hard to find a new build houses this closer to city at the moment.

• Registered Users Posts: 538 ✭✭✭Catmologen

Are they on view tomorrow?

• Registered Users Posts: 47 andreionut

Catmologen wrote: »
    Are they on view tomorrow?

The SherryFitz website shows it as available for open viewing on 11th Feb, 12:00h -14:00h

There were only a handful of houses left when I popped in earlier. The Ashes and Herons are gone (probably yesterday), the remaining houses are a bit more expensive, some Willow & Hazel but not many I think.

As before, the phase has been split in two, the part on sale is the bit further from the canal toward River road.

But some cancellations always happen as people often grab one and think about it, though probably not on the scale seen in the past.

• Registered Users Posts: 48 kj72

Thanks to all those who responded to my questions re RCP last week – managed to secure a Herron on Saturday morning and looking forward to moving in hopefully later in the year. Met some nice other new owners too over the weekend.
    Would anyone be happy to recommend a solicitor who has already conveyed a Herron (my thinking is that it makes sense to go with someone who has done the same house/contract before as they should already be familiar with any issues which might arise with it rather than getting someone who is going over the ground for the first time). Aware that such recommendations have to come by PM.
    Also can anyone tell me what the up to date story re broadband and TV in the area is? – aware from the thread that there have been different providers promised at different stage and as I say wondering what the up to date situation is? One of the lads from Sherry Fitz told me at the weekend that you can now get Virgin, Eir and Sky TV/Broadband piped (all 3) - is this accurate?
    Thanks, Kj

kj72 wrote: »
    One of the lads from Sherry Fitz told me at the weekend that you can now get Virgin, Eir and Sky TV/Broadband piped (all 3) - is this accurate?
    Thanks, Kj

To my knowledge that's a lie from Sherry Fitz. You can get Eir and Sky (via Satellite). But no Virgin, unless that has changed?

• Registered Users Posts: 244 ✭✭Keithchap

385 for a mid terrace Ash, 405 for EOT.
    445 for mid terrace Heron with one space, 455 with two.
    475 for EOT Herron.
    465 for one space Hazel, 475 for 2 space Hazel (I think)
    495 for one space Willow, 505 for two space Willow

All sold out.

It was the Northern most block that was on sale, only the 3 southern Hazels were not available for sale (21, 23, 25).

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 17 bluemc

Keithchap wrote: »
    Check your pressure first, is the black line in line with the red?

Go to main menu > commissioning > heat pump reset > click ok > enter code 0000
    Now go outside and restart the a2w using the trip switch in the fuse box on the wall.
    Then go back to you boiler and flick the reset

That fixed it for us temporarily but it may come back, if it does call Joule

If that doesn't work switch the boiler from programmed. operation to emergency operation and call joule tomorrow.

These are the workarounds Joule did, we just took note of them.

No hot water this evening, have the dreaded Err K Low IWS error code on the heating system.
    Tried the above, black pressure needle is much lower than the red needle, but running in eco mode now thanks to the above.
    Need to get hold of Joule to fix. Few drops of water seeping out around valves on the system as well.
    What's the response time for them to come out to fix once you report an issue?

Advertisement