Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

BMW 520d (161 model)

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 51,155 ✭✭✭✭bazz26

That's high beam assist. Button is on the end of the stalk. Tiny camera/sensor is located behind the rearview mirror and below the rain sensor.

• Registered Users Posts: 28,119 ✭✭✭✭drunkmonkey

bazz26 wrote: »

BTW I got quoted 20k over the phone to go up to a 141 M Sport.

It's a lot to jump 2 years, new model in 2017, if you keep the 141 for 2 years the'll probably want the guts of 30k to go up to the new model.
    If your own is good and well specked you'd have to question is there anything else you'd like to spend 20k on.

bazz26 wrote: »
    That's high beam assist. Button is on the end of the stalk. Tiny camera/sensor is located behind the rearview mirror and below the rain sensor.

It's a gift.

The 14 reg one was a non runner for me.

Very hard to justify. Sit back and see what the 2017/18 is like?
    I presume there going to start doing some great deals on the f10 yet.

• Advertisement

Swings and roundabouts, if BMW start flogging new F10s (very unlikely if they are still selling well) then it just filters down the years to older ones like mine so you gain nothing.

vintagevrs wrote: »
    Are these how your lights work?

Yea seems to be, they do the same thing as in the video, they'll be a standard in all cars someday I suspect.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,878 ✭✭✭heroics

I have a 2013 520D msport, Auto with paddle shift, 19" alloys, sun protection glass, boot lip spoiler, sunroof, ambient lighting, adaptive headlights and Bang & Olufsen stereo

I don't think I would get the non msport model. Love the look of the Msport and while the 19s are expensive (got a flat this morning) I think them and the ambient lighting really finish of the car. To be honest if I was getting it new I wouldn't bother with the B&O stereo. Was in a 5 series without it the other day and could barely tell the difference.

I would definitely get the larger screen though as it finishes off the dash much better. Agree with some of the posters above don't like the new way of sticking the screen on like and afterthought on some of the new cars instead of having it built into the dash like current F10.

I'd say if you ran some proper music through it you could tell the difference some HD music from a Sony Z phone or Neil Youngs Pono Player.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 701 ✭✭✭carsfan

How much was the Bang and Olufsen upgrade?
    I think Harman Kardon is about a grand so shudder to think what B and O was.
    Sounds like a gorgeous car.

• Advertisement

I'd say if you ran some proper music through it you could tell the difference some HD music from a Sony Z phone or Neil Youngs Pono Player.

Dont get me wrong it sounds great I play music downloaded to a USB stick not through bluetooth. I just don't think it is worth the extra 5k

• Closed Accounts Posts: 701 ✭✭✭carsfan

5000 euro is a lot for a sound system in a car alright. I'm sure people into music can tell the difference.

carsfan wrote: »
    5000 euro is a lot for a sound system in a car alright. I'm sure people into music can tell the difference.

It stupid money for the stereo in a car. Luckily I bought the car second hand. Don't think I could justify the cost over the Harman Kardon if I was buying new.

OP did you get a delivery date for your car yet? What did you finish up ordering in the end? Did you get the lux and the adaptive lights etc

• Registered Users Posts: 3,969 ✭✭✭Theboinkmaster

heroics wrote: »
    It stupid money for the stereo in a car. Luckily I bought the car second hand. Don't think I could justify the cost over the Harman Kardon if I was buying new.

I spent months looking at second hand f10s and that's a very rare extra.

I really wanted folding mirros but that's rare too, couldn't get it :-(

My only must haves for extras (on an msport) were pro nav and privacy glass.

The pro nav was difficult enough to get, on an msport that was in perfect nick and low miles.

Need to get maps updated actually I have 2011 - assume a dealer would charge me €250 or something, could get online or buy? wouldn't mind disabling the dvd in motion also...

• Registered Users Posts: 3,381 ✭✭✭vintagevrs

Reading this thread makes me appreciate how well specced our car is, some of it I take for granted and would never have considered it well specced at all before. It has folding mirrors and I never think twice about them.

Need to get maps updated actually I have 2011 - assume a dealer would charge me €250 or something, could get online or buy? wouldn't mind disabling the dvd in motion also...

Chap in Lucan is probably your best bet, search mcstuff in adverts, should do both for under €100
    http://www.germaniks.com/contact-us/

I spent months looking at second hand f10s and that's a very rare extra.

I really wanted folding mirros but that's rare too, couldn't get it :-(

The pro nav was difficult enough to get, on an msport that was in perfect nick and low miles.

I updated my maps 2 years ago for around €50. The latest maps are free to download onto a USB drive but you are asked for a code when you go to install them. The code cost me €50 from a guy in the US who was recommended on a US BMW owner's site and is generated off your car's VIN & version of software. The code is unique to the car's VIN and only works for one upgrade so cannot be passed onto someone else, takes just over 1 hour to install the maps from the USB port located in the glove box (not the one in the centre armrest). No issues with the maps or iDrive in 2 years either.

Bazz any way to enable DVD in motion cheap?

Just looking at this might be an option as well, 90 pound but you get the next update free and and the FSC code works for the next 5 update, half the price if you just get one but if your holding onto the car might be worth it.. http://www.carsmate.co.uk/products/bmw-cic-navigation-europe-premium-road-map-2016

Edit:

Cheaper just go to Lucan, if you want DVD in motion unlocked, may get the maps there as well.

• Advertisement

Bazz any way to enable DVD in motion cheap?

No idea, might involved a hacked firmware upgrade or someone who knows their way around BMW software.

Coder only charges €25/€30, was hoping for free but can't see any other way besides getting a DVD disk but looks like your up around €150 for one.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,969 ✭✭✭Theboinkmaster

Just looking at this might be an option as well, 90 pound but you get the next update free and and the FSC code works for the next 5 update, half the price if you just get one but if your holding onto the car might be worth it.. http://www.carsmate.co.uk/products/bmw-cic-navigation-europe-premium-road-map-2016

Edit:

Cheaper just go to Lucan, if you want DVD in motion unlocked, may get the maps there as well.

Dropped into Lucan on way home from work. €50 and 1 hour later I had the 2016 updated maps and DVD in motion disabled so am delighted, cheers :)

Dropped into Lucan on way home from work. €50 and 1 hour later I had the 2016 updated maps and DVD in motion disabled so am delighted, cheers :)

A cheap upgrade, getting mine done in the next couple of weeks, dotn't get get caught out like this guy http://www.fox2detroit.com/news/local-news/82584838-story : )

• Registered Users Posts: 531 ✭✭✭macjohn

F1O drivers what do you think of privacy glass ( or in thiscase a retrofit tint of 20%) on the se model?

Its an imperial blue with the chromeline
    would the blue with the silver(chrome) look naff with a tint?

Mine came from the factory with rear privacey glass if you can see the different shade in the rear side window in this photo.

cUpOQ.jpg

Done right and at the right level of tint it looks good.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,381 ✭✭✭vintagevrs

Snap!
    5mwiyw.jpg

Bazz showing off his electric mirrors:P

Bazz showing off his electric mirrors:P

Ha! :)

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,858 ✭✭✭Bigcheeze

vintagevrs wrote: »
    Snap!
    5mwiyw.jpg

I have those 18's. After Auto, they're the next most important option IMO. Car looks lost on the standard 17's. Don't have the tint but I am de-chromed.

Advertisement