Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

BMW 520d (161 model)

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 701 ✭✭✭carsfan

There is about 4.5 k between se and m sport in the 520d.
    But the 530d in se is 12k more than 520 and 16k difference in m sport between 520 and 530.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,165 ✭✭✭MarkN

Maybe I'm wrong here but in the two car comparison drunkmonkey posted, the two buttons missing in the M-Sport V The SE (with the bottons) are just a mode which holds the revs longer and makes the throttle more sensitive etc - a feature found in many new cars today. The bit I'm doubting here is the damper control etc - that is not controlled by those modes beside the gear shift (I had the modes on my own 2012 F10) but there was certainly no damper control on it, to be honest I've only ever seen the full extra as discussed in proper M cars.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,381 ✭✭✭vintagevrs

You are right, the cars linked do not have damper control. One has the mode selection which is a bit of a gimmick. It goes from normal, to sport to sport+.

Normal is gearbox in D and steering light with tc on.
    Sport is gearbox in sport, steering feel heavier and tc on.
    Sport+ is gearbox in sport, steering feel heavier and tc in sport so allowing some slip but stability control is still on.

I am not 100 percent sure about the steering weight feel part but it's an educated guess. The other settings can be controlled indepently (gearbox can be put in sport with out this button.)

This button only has any real meaning if it has "comfort" instead of "normal". This then means the stiffness of the the suspension changes. Iv never been in one with this option as it's pricey and most people won't know the difference so if you tick that box from new, expect it to make zero difference to resale, unlike some other options.

Without comfort it is a complete gimmick.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,165 ✭✭✭MarkN

Yeah, thought I had it right. When I had an M3, the M button really did make a true difference, I can't say the same for the sport+ on the 520 though.

Does your button say comfort normal sport or normal sport sport+?

• Advertisement

Here's one without ddc
    attachment.php?attachmentid=472888&stc=1&d=1294603346

And one with
    1A3674D1-13A4-40E3-94AC-ACF44A918FA9_zpsabhdk0vt.jpg

Subtle difference is the word comfort. If you don't have comfort it's a gimmick.

• Registered Users Posts: 28,120 ✭✭✭✭drunkmonkey

It changes the suspension in mine, have the option to change drivetrain or chassis independently. You can feel the dampers get harder when you switch.

It only does that if your button says comfort so for your sake I hope it does, otherwise that change you feel is a placebo.

I just checked her car there. It does not have adaptive dampers but it allows you to select drive train and chassis in sport independently. I have no idea what difference chassis will make to her car. The vast vast majority of 5 series in ireland are the same.

• Registered Users Posts: 248 ✭✭frankz

DriveSkill wrote: »
    Just as another data point on this - I had to bring mine in for repair today so had a chat with one of the sales guy...looking for pretty much same kinda money - €18K to move from my current 2011 to 141 SE model touring with not much extras on it and 50K km.

There is probably a bit of movement on that if pushed but that was the starting point.

Ya - most of the dealers are quoting a cost to change of 5,500 to 6000 per year.

fmo092.jpg

Is that what you get? This is a photo from a car with standard dampers that do not adjust.

• Advertisement

Here's one without it: http://www.driving.ie/used-cars/BMW/5-Series/535d-M/200714523242043260/

And here's one with it, http://www.driving.ie/used-cars/BMW/5-Series/530D-*Sunroof*/201314400885543260/

The SE is the pick out of those two as you can have your sport and luxury, the MSport it always brutish, sometimes you just want a nice smooth run without the bumps.

Oh god, a 535 with the basic intro auto box that was available then, no pro nav and a hitch!!! :-)

edit - does have the comfort seats

vintagevrs wrote: »
    It only does that if your button says comfort so for your sake I hope it does, otherwise that change you feel is a placebo.

I just checked her car there. It does not have adaptive dampers but it allows you to select drive train and chassis in sport independently. I have no idea what difference chassis will make to her car. The vast vast majority of 5 series in ireland are the same.

I think you might be referring to pre lci - the post lci have comfort, normal and sport on the standard auto box that dont change the dampers

Youre right, even harder to tell if an LCI has the Adaptive dampers then so!

• Registered Users Posts: 51,166 ✭✭✭✭bazz26

Driver mode was only made standard from mid 2011. Up to that it was only standard if you ordered the sport gearbox with the paddle shift. Also as said DCC was an expensive option and rare as hen's teeth on a 520d.

Just back to the original topic of this thread, I got a few more prices today from 2 main dealers for trading up. One wanted around 12k to trade up from my 2011 SE to a lower spec 132 SE, the other wanted 15k to trade up to a 131 M Sport. Silly money but that seems to be the common theme from the dealer network.

Mine has the paddle shift, sports wheel and sports box it's a 2010, so I think it's sports box with ddc from what I can figure out. As she's a hell of a lot more slappy in sport.

• Registered Users Posts: 531 ✭✭✭macjohn

bazz26 wrote: »
    Driver mode was only made standard from mid 2011. Up to that it was only standard if you ordered the sport gearbox with the paddle shift. Also as said DCC was an expensive option and rare as hen's teeth on a 520d.

Just back to the original topic of this thread, I got a few more prices today from 2 main dealers for trading up. One wanted around 12k to trade up from my 2011 SE to a lower spec 132 SE, the other wanted 15k to trade up to a 131 M Sport. Silly money but that seems to be the common theme from the dealer network.

Based on what I am getting the 15k as an opening gambit for the 131 Msport is ok, crazy as that seems!!
    5k per annum as cost of change to go to the msport, I haven't got that anywhere yet!

Mine has the paddle shift, sports wheel and sports box it's a 2010, so I think it's sports box with ddc from what I can figure out. As she's a hell of a lot more slappy in sport.

It would be very rare - the sport knocks out top gear and sharpens throttle resposne so that could be it.

macjohn wrote: »
    It would be very rare - the sport knocks out top gear and sharpens throttle resposne so that could be it.

It's a UK one, has a lot of extras.

vintagevrs wrote: »
    fmo092.jpg

Is that what you get? This is a photo from a car with standard dampers that do not adjust.

It says Dynamic Driving Control on the screen before this one..

image.jpg

It's a UK one, has a lot of extras.

Sounds good, what else does it have?

It may have it so - worth a quick call to any dealer and they will give you the original factory spec of the car

Mine has the paddles, full sports box with shorter sportier lever ( - no longer available on 520d, at the time wasn't a huge step up in price from the basic auto) and sports wheels but no damper control

Edit - posts crossed.
    In terms of the pics -
    Would you believe it says that on the ones that dont have full damper control as well!!! Dont make it easy :-)

• Advertisement

Has the Auto adaptive Led Lights, haven't had them before, impressed with them.

Has the lights on all the door handles when you open it at night, not sure if that's standard on them but looks cool.

I drove up and down the country and I couldn't find a car with them, Electric folding mirrors, they were a deal breaker for me along with the suspension.

Pro Nav with the hard drive, maps are well out of date so getting them updated in the next week or two and DVD in motion enabled.

Probably more bits I haven't figured out yet.

I test drove that 535 linked to above and got a flight to the UK a week after, 530's are very thin on the ground here, realised only way I'd get the spec I wanted here was buy a new one and was gone over 90k on the BMW configurator.

Based on what I am getting the 15k as an opening gambit for the 131 Msport is ok, crazy as that seems!!
    5k per annum as cost of change to go to the msport, I haven't got that anywhere yet!

They initially wanted 17k. :) To be a little fair though the M Sport has the 19" 351 wheels, Pro Nav and visibility pack. Still seems a lot to me to only move up 2 years.

My own 2011 SE has:

Sports auto box with paddle shift,
    Standard Sat Nav with advanced bluetooth,
    Visibility pack with adaptive xenons and high beam assist,
    Auto diping and dimming exterior folding mirrors,
    Rear heated seats.

Has the lights on all the door handles when you open it at night, not sure if that's standard on them but looks cool.

I drove up and down the country and I couldn't find a car with them, Electric folding mirrors, they were a deal breaker for me along with the suspension.

Pro Nav with the hard drive, maps are well out of date so getting them updated in the next week or two and DVD in motion enabled.

Probably more bits I haven't figured out yet.

I test drove that 535 linked to above and got a flight to the UK a week after, 530's are very thin on the ground here, realised only way I'd get the spec I wanted here was buy a new one and was gone over 90k on the BMW configurator.

Sounds fab - enjoy it, didn't realise it was new to you

Have never driven with the adaptive lights, they sound the job.

The door lights are called ambient lighting - thats also what puts the light under the inside door trim and lights up the back nicely, lovely feature - finisshed the car well, and makes for nice night time driving inside. Its not standard but around a €280/€365 option (depending se/lux etc) so semi regular.

As I say happy motoring - maybe I missed early is it a 530?

Folding mirrors she's a rare beast!!

I won't ask why you'd want heated back seats, just sounds wrong.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 701 ✭✭✭carsfan

[

Just back to the original topic of this thread, I got a few more prices today from 2 main dealers for trading up. One wanted around 12k to trade up from my 2011 SE to a lower spec 132 SE, the other wanted 15k to trade up to a 131 M Sport. Silly money but that seems to be the common theme from the dealer network.[/QUOTE]

Considering the f10/11 is in its last year of production it still is a great seller for BMW and the strong prices reflect that.
    In fairness lads these are 50 grand plus cars, so to move up a year for 6k approx a year does not seem at all unreasonable to me, or what would you expect?

bazz26 wrote: »
    They initially wanted 17k. :) To be a little fair though the M Sport has the 19" 351 wheels, Pro Nav and visibility pack. Still seems a lot to me to only move up 2 years.

My own 2011 SE has:

Sports auto box with paddle shift,
    Standard Sat Nav with advanced bluetooth,
    Visibility pack with adaptive xenons and high beam assist,
    Auto diping and dimming exterior folding mirrors,
    Rear heated seats.

Apols mine is 2010 - that is why I was thinking 15 to 131 msport was ok; its a lot for two years especially when your own has an great spec.
    Amazing with visibility pack and heat rear seats that they didn't manage to sell pro nav to the first purchaser.

7,500 per annum to go to similar spec msport does sound expensive - wondering if you looked at 2014 would you get it around the 18/18500?

Sounds fab - enjoy it, didn't realise it was new to you

Have never driven with the adaptive lights, they sound the job.

The door lights are called ambient lighting - thats also what puts the light under the inside door trim and lights up the back nicely, lovely feature - finisshed the car well, and makes for nice night time driving inside. Its not standard but around a €280/€365 option (depending se/lux etc) so semi regular.

As I say happy motoring - maybe I missed early is it a 530?

Yea new to me, was prepared to buy a new 520 but was coming from an LCI e60 530, in the end I just said I'd stick with the 530 and spend half the money, it's only a 1 owner with 50k and a full history. Not far off new just the reg plate.

Lights were a surprise, was just curios what that (A) symbol was the other night so googled and and was delighted, using them constantly now, no more flicking up and down in traffic, really takes all effort out of night driving. I'd want them on my next one.

Are these how your lights work? Very cool, sounds like you've the best specced f10 in Ireland!

carsfan wrote: »
    Considering the f10/11 is in its last year of production it still is a great seller for BMW and the strong prices reflect that.
    In fairness lads these are 50 grand plus cars, so to move up a year for 6k approx a year does not seem at all unreasonable to me, or what would you expect?

I know what you're saying but to me its still a fair wack of money to go from a 5 year old car to a 3 year old similar car. Not looking to change the world but not happy about the way it is either. :)

Apols mine is 2010 - that is why I was thinking 15 to 131 msport was ok; its a lot for two years especially when your own has an great spec.
    Amazing with visibility pack and heat rear seats that they didn't manage to sell pro nav to the first purchaser.

7,500 per annum to go to similar spec msport does sound expensive - wondering if you looked at 2014 would you get it around the 18/18500?

Being honest the Pro Nav is nice but was expensive when new and the standard one does the basic job, anyway these days things like Apple Carplay and Android Auto are moving away from the need for in car storage or expensive interfaces.

BTW I got quoted 20k over the phone to go up to a 141 M Sport.

• Advertisement

Video isn't working but they round corners go from full to dims themselves, as your driving up behind someone they keep dropping down so you don't shine the lights in their car, it's fairly intelligent seem to be a big camera behind the rear view mirror keep an eye on what's happening light wise on the road.

Advertisement