Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

BMW 520d (161 model)

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,381 ✭✭✭vintagevrs

Yeah but he's talking 131 to 161, a very different 3 year period for car deprecation.

• Registered Users Posts: 336 ✭✭FrontDoor

I saw a few 131 Passats the other day 19k - 21k retail price.

A new one is north of 30k for the 1.6 Trendline or whatever its called.

I'd say to do that deal, you would be looking at 13-15k or so? Or am I way off? Then go with better spec and engine.

• Registered Users Posts: 531 ✭✭✭macjohn

vintagevrs wrote: »
    Yeah but he's talking 131 to 161, a very different 3 year period for car deprecation.

Thanks ya good point. apples and oranges.
    Need to look at 2010 to 2013/14

• Registered Users Posts: 51,166 ✭✭✭✭bazz26

I think then 19k to change the plate on your car is a lot, unless there is a big difference in spec. I would look at an independent guy if making that sort of change.

I am not sure if your current car is auto, but I would highly recommend making sure if you get a newer F10 that it is auto. I drive a manual one and an auto one regularly enough and the difference is huge. I was in both today, and the manual is half the car in my opinion.

I would agree. Joe Duffy quoted me 20k over the phone to trade up from my 2011 520d SE to a 2014 520d M Sport 2 weeks ago, both auto. No thanks I said. Going from a like for like 2010 520d SE to a 2013 520d SE I'd expect to pay 15k or 16k max. Manual F10s are a different ballgame and worth substantially less.
    Truckermal wrote: »
    It's only just over 3K a year which sounds reasonable.

That's over 6k per year. :)

bazz26 wrote: »
    I would agree. Joe Duffy quoted me 20k over the phone to trade up from my 2011 520d SE to a 2014 520d M Sport 2 weeks ago, both auto. No thanks I said.

Going from a like for like 2010 520d SE to a 2013 520d SE I'd expect to pay 15k or 16k max. Manual F10s are a different ballgame and worth substantially less.

Ok so it seems 18k to 20k is what the dealers are quoting to move 3 years. so maybe 23 to 26 for 4 years.

I agree with you but problem is to find one that someone will sell me for 16K!! :-) Not being smart - but I know I am not going to bargain anyone down from 19 to 16!

Edit - Bazz have you decided to go from se to msport? I am back and forth on it.

• Advertisement

I think the luxury is the pick. I would have one over M Sport with my own money. "M Sport" in a big auto diesel is just badges. For a F10, I want comfort.

Being honest I haven't really been shopping around yet to compare prices. I just enquired about one car that took my fancy, rang up about it to get an idea of the cost to change, as it's a 2 hour drive for me and to be fair they gave a ballpark figure without even seeing my car. I'd expect to do better than that price if I was in front of them ready to pull the trigger but that's too much money than I'd be comfortable spending on a car that's still 2 years old.

If that's going to be type of money they want then my next car probably won't be another BMW then.

One of the problems of driving an F10 though isn't it - if you are looking for similarish saloon type car where do you go to next! Thread with that title on here in last few weeks went to a totally different style of car!

I think the luxury is the pick. I would have one over M Sport with my own money. "M Sport" in a big auto diesel is just badges. For a F10, I want comfort.

From an aesthetics point I just find the SE/Luxury styling to be too sober. In saying that I'm not going to spend silly money for a M Sport especially one with a mediocre spec.
    macjohn wrote: »
    One of the problems of driving an F10 though isn't it - if you are looking for similarish saloon type car where do you go to next! Thread with that title on here in last few weeks went to a totally different style of car!

Yep this is my predicament also, the comfort and refinement of the F10 is hard to give up and hard to find in other cars. A6 and E Class don't match it either imo, go down to a 3 Series and the same level of quality just ain't there.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,048 ✭✭✭Truckermal

Buzz don't mind me I was only up..:o

Bazz even...

• Advertisement

Ya the same am leaning towards luxury.

Agree to an extent with Bazz that the styling is a bit sober compared to the msport and think the front bumper and steering wheel really finish the car well - that said the m sport performance pack adds 19 inch alloys which prob wont work on the roads I use around 50% of the time! I know the standard msport has the 18 inch - but alot of those 2nd hand dont have the pro nav.
    For me I think the "compromise" ;-) will be the luxury spec.

bazz26 wrote: »

Yep this is my predicament also, the comfort and refinement of the F10 is hard to give up and hard to find in other cars. A6 and E Class don't match it either imo, go down to a 3 Series and the same level of quality just ain't there.

Exactly - which keeps brining me back to either the F10 or go in a totally different direction/style of vehicle

• Registered Users Posts: 757 ✭✭✭DriveSkill

Just as another data point on this - I had to bring mine in for repair today so had a chat with one of the sales guy...looking for pretty much same kinda money - €18K to move from my current 2011 to 141 SE model touring with not much extras on it and 50K km.

There is probably a bit of movement on that if pushed but that was the starting point.

• Registered Users Posts: 28,120 ✭✭✭✭drunkmonkey

Put the sports steering wheel in the SE, problem solved.

Lot of MSports I looked at didn't have the adjustable drive modes.

I'd much rather have adjustable driving modes, pro media and a sports steering wheel than an MSport with none of them, seem a lot of people took the latter option though.

What do you mean by adjustable driving modes? Normal sport eco etc? Curious as to why you put importance on that. We have it, thought it was standard with the auto box. Button never gets touched in our car. It doesn't do much unless you have the Adaptive suspension I think, just shift points for gearbox and maybe steering weight.

I agree on the steering wheel though. The standard se one is very thin and plasticy. The wide screen is a nice to have, and helps the interior.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 701 ✭✭✭carsfan

I think drunk monkey means adaptive drive control or variable damper control. This is an expensive extra that adjusts the suspension as well as engine, gearbox, steering.
    Apparently transforms handling of the car according to journos.
    Very rare to find here.

It turns an SE into an MSport but an MSport without it is best avoided. I use it a lot, in normal mode on motorways etc, onto a windy road straight into sport. Tightness, chassie, steering, changes the gearing.
    It's on mine. You see it in SE's but hardly any second hand MSports.

Here's one without it: http://www.driving.ie/used-cars/BMW/5-Series/535d-M/200714523242043260/

And here's one with it, http://www.driving.ie/used-cars/BMW/5-Series/530D-*Sunroof*/201314400885543260/

The SE is the pick out of those two as you can have your sport and luxury, the MSport it always brutish, sometimes you just want a nice smooth run without the bumps.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,787 ✭✭✭maddness

I have been driving a 520D MSport for the past two years. It's a standard car and looks pretty good but I have also driven an SE and there is very little difference. What I would like is the pro Nav and a few other nice bits that are lacking on mine. That's why if I had to have another one it would be the Luxury spec over the MSport. While I agree with the poster who said the non MSport looks a bit boring, to be honest whatever spec you get they are all dull to drive.
    I haven't driven a 5 series with adaptive chassis control so can't compare but it seems that it's not ordered in many cars here. Someone with better BMW knowledge might be able to comment more accurately.

Here's one without it: http://www.driving.ie/used-cars/BMW/5-Series/535d-M/200714523242043260/

And here's one with it, http://www.driving.ie/used-cars/BMW/5-Series/530D-*Sunroof*/201314400885543260/

The SE is the pick out of those two as you can have your sport and luxury, the MSport it always brutish, sometimes you just want a nice smooth run without the bumps.

Trust me the MSport is never brutish. That my big criticism of the car, it's just too soft.

• Advertisement

There not that dull once you move away from the 2.0d

maddness wrote: »
    Trust me the MSport is never brutish. That my big criticism of the car, it's just too soft.

Wrong engine in it. Trust me there brutish with the right one.

There not that dull once you move away from the 2.0d

Correct. However this thread titled 520d......

Correct. However this thread titled 520d......

True, could have made for a brutish thread otherwise : )

If your cost to change was the same in 2/3yrs moving from SE to SE or MSport to MSport you'd have to pick the SE with all Toys over boyracing it up with the body kit.
    If you didn't opt for adaptive driving I'd rather be stuck in permanent luxury than MSport.

True, could have made for a brutish thread otherwise : )

If your cost to change was the same in 2/3yrs moving from SE to SE or MSport to MSport you'd have to pick the SE with all Toys over boyracing it up with the body kit.
    If you didn't opt for adaptive driving I'd rather be stuck in permanent luxury than MSport.

I wouldn't want either. A 5 series with a 2.0 diesel is just not my idea of fun.

I wouldn't want either. A 5 series with a 2.0 diesel is just not my idea of fun.

Seen as the 3.0L is nearly the same tax now you'd wonder why bother with the 2.0l at all.

Seen as the 3.0L is nearly the same tax now you'd wonder why bother with the 2.0l at all.

€12,000 more to buy is a big reason I'd say.

It turns an SE into an MSport but an MSport without it is best avoided. I use it a lot, in normal mode on motorways etc, onto a windy road straight into sport. Tightness, chassie, steering, changes the gearing.
    It's on mine. You see it in SE's but hardly any second hand MSports.

Does your car have the adjustable dampers? I think you tell by looking at the button beside the shifter. If it goes from comfort to sport you have it, if it goes from normal to sport you don't.

Without it changing modes does very lttle other than putting the gearbox into sport and as mentioned, a 520d is never really sporty no matter how late it changes gear :)

€12,000 more to buy is a big reason I'd say.

What's the MSport in the 2.0L an extra 8k?

• Advertisement

What's the MSport in the 2.0L an extra 8k?

16k more.

Advertisement