Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

BMW 520d (161 model)

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4,149 ✭✭✭Stallingrad

Am I missing something? F10 to F10 when the new 5 is due next year, it's madness!

• Registered Users Posts: 3,381 ✭✭✭vintagevrs

No not brand new, just checked went up three years to a 2014. But still, it's nowhere near 30k for a 3 year jump. 2013 to 2016 won't be 15k at a dealer but it won't be closer to 30k. I still think around 20k.

Cars from a few years ago are holding their value exceptionally well as few were sold relative to what normally is sold. Also the euro drop against sterling plays a part here as bringing in uk stuff is more expensive as a result. We imported a 520d by luck when the euro was at its strongest in 2013. The drop in euro has meant that car has lost a lot less than it usually would have.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 701 ✭✭✭carsfan

Yeah
    2014/15 cars seem very expensive to me relative to buying new now.

• Registered Users Posts: 51,178 ✭✭✭✭bazz26

So your friend went from a 2011 to 2014 520d for 15k?

Yes

• Advertisement

Thanks. Gives me an idea if I was to do the same.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,006 ✭✭✭bmwguy

Yeah that makes sense 15k to move from 5 years old to 2 years old.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,024 ✭✭✭Casati

I threw out 30k without looking at the prices but I doubt Im too far off

Here is a 131 M-Sport private sale asking 31500

https://www.donedeal.ie/cars-for-sale/131-bmw-520d-m-sport/11226552

If that would sell private at 31500, Im sure most dealers would bid 10%+ less than that so say 28000

A new M-Sport is 63k in one dealer http://www.carzone.ie/used-cars/bmw/5-series/used-2016-161-bmw-5-series-bmw-520d-m-dublin-fpa-200914539934017450

I can't see Frank Keane looking for any less than 30k to trade up to a new one

Obviously buying a two year old and trading in a five year is a completely different story and should be a fair bit cheaper but 15k sounds like a great deal if its a like for like car

Nice car but that guy's asking price is a bit on the high side given it's a manual imo, manual F10s don't fetch that sort of money as they are not as sought after as the autos.

Yeah fair enough point. The 15k was a very good deal in fairness. It was only after I checked it was 5 year old to 2 year old. I thought it was fresher change like 4 year old to one year old. Surprised the depreciation is doubled when moving up two years but thats the two biggest years so I shouldn't really be surprised.

30k depreciation to drive a 520d for two years is an awful lot.

• Advertisement

Which dealer did he deal with, if you don't mind me asking?

• Registered Users Posts: 4,940 ✭✭✭Bigus

vintagevrs wrote: »
    Yeah fair enough point. The 15k was a very good deal in fairness. It was only after I checked it was 5 year old to 2 year old. I thought it was fresher change like 4 year old to one year old. Surprised the depreciation is doubled when moving up two years but thats the two biggest years so I shouldn't really be surprised.

30k depreciation to drive a 520d for two years is an awful lot.

Especially when it's the same model

• Registered Users Posts: 6,575 ✭✭✭166man

bmstuff wrote: »
    Can you not ask for a discount when ordering the car?

Even a small discount of 2000 euros will give you some nice extra options (Satnav or combination of other smaller nice features too).

I asked for a discount before and I got 3% off on my brand new 320d
    Another customer that was here with me to buy a brand new car too got himself a 10% discount, but he was a journalist and supplied his journalist ID card.

When my parents bought their e36 brand new in 1991, the dealer gave them a very good deal on their e30 Shadowline too and explained he was authorised to give up to 13% discount with reasons. Not sure if that is still the case today.

Since when is €2000 a small discount on a car? Pretty hefty chunk to go in with straightaway.

I think many would be surprised to know that margins on new cars are slimmer than expected.

bazz26 wrote: »
    So your friend went from a 2011 to 2014 520d for 15k?
    Yes

Just to expand on this. I inquired from a dealer today about trading up from a 2011 520d SE to a 2014 520 M Sport. And without seeing my car it was going to cost around 20k to trade up. Too rich for me but not surprising given who the dealer was.

• Registered Users Posts: 336 ✭✭FrontDoor

I'd say you'd do well to change a Passat for 15k over 3 years, let alone a 5 series.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,006 ✭✭✭bmwguy

FrontDoor wrote: »
    I'd say you'd do well to change a Passat for 15k over 3 years, let alone a 5 series.[/QUOT

It was for a 5 year old to a 2 year old for 15k

3 year old to brand new is looking at 22k+ to change like for like, but I would say most buyers would be seduced by a nicer spec in new car so that figure would more than likely go up

• Registered Users Posts: 12,678 ✭✭✭✭R.O.R

We've just sold a 131 520d SE Auto with 142,000km (trade sale).

Difference between sale value and what it would cost us to replace it with (and I'm not disclosing either figure) is €21,315.

Very little interest in the 131 520d and sold for less than we thought it would. More than it stood us though, so just less profit than we'd hoped.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,678 ✭✭✭✭R.O.R

Difference between sale value and what it would cost us to replace it with (and I'm not disclosing either figure) is €21,315.

Very little interest in the 131 520d and sold for less than we thought it would. More than it stood us though, so just less profit than we'd hoped.

• Registered Users Posts: 531 ✭✭✭macjohn

R.O.R wrote: »

So the cost from a 131 520d to 161 520d would have been €21,315 - is that what you mean?

Going from a 2010 520d se to 131 520dse and dealer is looking for €19,000 - sounds like a lot??? Or am I being unrealistic?

Is your 2010 an E60 or F10?

• Advertisement

Is your 2010 an E60 or F10?

Mine is the f10

macjohn wrote: »
    Mine is the f10

I think then 19k to change the plate on your car is a lot, unless there is a big difference in spec. I would look at an independent guy if making that sort of change.

I am not sure if your current car is auto, but I would highly recommend making sure if you get a newer F10 that it is auto. I drive a manual one and an auto one regularly enough and the difference is huge. I was in both today, and the manual is half the car in my opinion.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,048 ✭✭✭Truckermal

It's only just over 3K a year which sounds reasonable.

Thanks. Ya mine is auto with pro nav and 18inch alloys the one I am looking at has same.
    Dealer claims 6,300 a year to upgrade is very reasonable.
    Independent guy offering very little for my own.

• Registered Users Posts: 757 ✭✭✭DriveSkill

Thanks. Ya mine is auto with pro nav and 18inch alloys the one I am looking at has same.
    Dealer claims 6,300 a year to upgrade is very reasonable.
    Independent guy offering very little for my own.

Sounds expensive to me have to say considering you are going to what is still a 3 yr old car...I have an 2011 F10 Touring and was starting to think about upgrading but by the sounds of it I'll be holding on for a while :(

BTW mind me asking what kind of mileage is on yours ?

Ya, thats the thing but what do you do, cant drive the current one forever! Mine turn on to 90k miles yest.

• Registered Users Posts: 757 ✭✭✭DriveSkill

Ya, thats the thing but what do you do, cant drive the current one forever! Mine turn on to 90k miles yest.

ok, so certainly not exceptional...I was hoping you were going to say 200k and give me a bit of hope :D

DriveSkill wrote: »
    ok, so certainly not exceptional...I was hoping you were going to say 200k and give me a bit of hope :D

Fraid not!!
    Looks like I may have to just suck it up! Independent guy back to me and he wants similarish money to change but no service pack and less warranty on his.

Might be worth moving on your 2011 now as some of the dealers have told me that they no longer retailing 10 models themselves and that drags down the trade in value, so you may get same story with 2011 next year.

Realistically what is an accurate cost to change per year for mondeo/passat class?

• Registered Users Posts: 336 ✭✭FrontDoor

Fraid not!!
    Looks like I may have to just suck it up! Independent guy back to me and he wants similarish money to change but no service pack and less warranty on his.

Might be worth moving on your 2011 now as some of the dealers have told me that they no longer retailing 10 models themselves and that drags down the trade in value, so you may get same story with 2011 next year.

Realistically what is an accurate cost to change per year for mondeo/passat class?
    I'd say to go to a good spec model - 2.0 comfortline, you are looking at 15-18k to go 131 to 161?

• Advertisement

FrontDoor wrote: »
    I'd say to go to a good spec model - 2.0 comfortline, you are looking at 15-18k to go 131 to 161?

Thanks, so on that analysis similarish - between 5 and 6 k a year.

Advertisement