Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

BMW 520d (161 model)

Options
  • 25-01-2016 12:01pm
    Registered Users Posts: 208 ✭✭

opinion valued..

Had a look at trading my 131 520d over the weekend and the Nav system in the current SE model is a business system, while in the Lux model the Nav's in a much large screen and is pro system.
    Don't have Nav in my current car, i think it came as standard in the 132 models

Has any one any knowledge the pro system and whats your opinion ?
    Basically is the larger screen worth the €1900 upgrade or would you spend on something else.

Thanks

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 699 ✭✭✭landmarkjohn

Very hard to beat smartphone navigation, I would spend the money on something you use all the time like comfort seats or maybe LED lights.

• Registered Users Posts: 208 ✭✭kingstown

Thanks Landmark

I'm just thinking that if i change the car i'll like something different in the dash.
    I have had 2 x 520d's (2010 & 2013) with basically the very same same layout and while i like the car thought upgrade in the dash would be something different.
    I take your point about smartphone nav - i use it going through Dublin myself.

Cheers

• Registered Users Posts: 51,155 ✭✭✭✭bazz26

The Pro system has a bit more to it than just a wider screen, the navigation has more features than the standard version, split screen function, higher resolution display, faster processor, multimedia player including DVD, Real time traffic information, BMW Connected Drive (internet applications) and it also has a 20GB hard drive. Some people say that the F10 dashboard needs the wide screen to look complete but honestly mine has the standard Business NAV screen and it doesn't bother me, does the job.

Depends on the individual whether or not it's worth 1900 extra though but as I don't buy brand new cars these days so its not really a decision I would have to make. You won't see much of that 1900 back come sell on time but it might make it a bit more appealing to a buyer.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 701 ✭✭✭carsfan

I think the lux model has a few more extras other than pro nav over the se.better alloys, trim , ambient lighting etc.
    Might be better to get a lux rather than an se with pro nav from a resale view.

Thanks Bazz

defo going for the Active lights @ €800. Have them in my 131 car and think they are the best thing i ever got in a car.
    i also got the the flappy paddles on the steering wheel but wouldn't get them ever again- used them once or twice that's all.

Might look at upgrading to 18" wheels instead. Recon the car would run better on these.

Did have a test drive of a 520D M sport which had 18" wheels and really liked the drive.

Have anyone got one? what your opinion on it as a practical car?

• Advertisement

Thanks Bazz

defo going for the Active lights @ €800. Have them in my 131 car and think they are the best thing i ever got in a car.
    i also got the the flappy paddles on the steering wheel but wouldn't get them ever again- used them once or twice that's all.

Might look at upgrading to 18" wheels instead. Recon the car would run better on these.

Did have a test drive of a 520D M sport which had 18" wheels and really liked the drive.

Have anyone got one? what your opinion on it as a practical car?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,127 ✭✭✭blingrhino

kingstown wrote: »
    opinion valued..

Had a look at trading my 131 520d over the weekend and the Nav system in the current SE model is a business system, while in the Lux model the Nav's in a much large screen and is pro system.
    Don't have Nav in my current car, i think it came as standard in the 132 models

Has any one any knowledge the pro system and whats your opinion ?
    Basically is the larger screen worth the €1900 upgrade or would you spend on something else.

Thanks
    What type of money to come up 3 years if you dont mind me asking op.

• Registered Users Posts: 51,155 ✭✭✭✭bazz26

Have factory fitted 18" alloys on my F10 SE and find the ride very comfortable. The 18" wheels also fill the F10's arches alot better than the 17" wheels which just look lost. Have the flappy paddles on the steering wheel and adaptive headlights too on mine, the adaptive headlights are really worth the extra money imo.

Also if you can afford the M Sport then I'd go with that, the F10 in SE and LUX is too conservatively styled imo and they look so much better in M Sport spec.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,525 ✭✭✭ION08

Very hard to beat smartphone navigation, I would spend the money on something you use all the time like comfort seats or maybe LED lights.

To be honest, I would go for it on aesthetics alone as opposed to actual functionality.

You can tell the dash was designed around the larger screen. The small screen with the two obvious blanking plastics on either side really cheapens the interior for me and looks dreadful.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,463 ✭✭✭Oafley Jones

ION08 wrote: »
    To be honest, I would go for it on aesthetics alone as opposed to actual functionality.

You can tell the dash was designed around the larger screen. The small screen with the two obvious blanking plastics on either side really cheapens the interior for me and looks dreadful.

I agree, it looks absolutely awful. The pro screen really makes that dash.

• Advertisement

yes the test drive in the M really impressed me, recon a lot to do with the 18" wheels
    Never really thought of a M before because i'm not really into flash cars. I like a nice car hence the 5 series.

Dealer is working out a deal on the M as we speak, so fingers crossed he's thinking along the same lines as me (money wise...!)

• Registered Users Posts: 3,969 ✭✭✭Theboinkmaster

I agree, it looks absolutely awful. The pro screen really makes that dash.

100% agree with this, I have an f10 with pro nav and when I was searching I just wouldn't look at any without the pro nav as the smaller screen on the dash really ruins the look of the inside.

I use the DVD player a fair bit actually, and the 20gb HD for music is great.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,776 ✭✭✭maddness

I've a 520D MSport and while it does look that bit better than the SE I would choose a Luxury spec for the same price. The MSport in a 1 or 3 series makes a considerable difference to the drive but I find in the 5 series it makes little or no difference the driving experience. It really is just a trim option and still feels soft and heavy to drive.
    The Luxury has a far better spec than the SE too, 18" wheels, Pro Nav, nicer trim etc.
    Judging from your previous posts I the the Luxury could be the one to go for.

I've a 520D MSport and while it does look that bit better than the SE I would choose a Luxury spec for the same price. The MSport in a 1 or 3 series makes a considerable difference to the drive but I find in the 5 series it makes little or no difference the driving experience. It really is just a trim option and still feels soft and heavy to drive.
    The Luxury has a far better spec than the SE too, 18" wheels, Pro Nav, nicer trim etc.
    Judging from your previous posts I think the Luxury could be the one to go for.

Every time I post recently it posts twice??

maddness wrote: »
    Judging from your previous posts I think the Luxury could be the one to go for.

I disagree I wouldn't buy a non msport, looks very ordinary in SE.

maddness wrote: »
    Every time I post recently it posts twice??

Just current boards.ie technical glitch after recent outage.

I disagree I wouldn't buy a non msport, looks very ordinary in SE.

The MSport does look better (to my eyes anyway) but the Luxury offers more toys for a similar price.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 701 ✭✭✭carsfan

I had two 520d's.
    One was se. on 18" wheels and the second was m sport on 19" but with m sport suspension deleted. The ride comfort was fine on both in my view. The m sport looks better especially on the 19" wheels but they are dear to spec on top of m sport. Driving both cars is identical. I had pro nav in the m sport and I rhink it finishes the interior really well and is great with the hard disc etc. I don't think on a bare se. it is worth getting pro nav alone.
    If I was going for another I would seriously consider the luxury with the turbine 18" alloys and the sports seats from the M sport which are very comfy.

• Registered Users Posts: 92 ✭✭what to do?

You mentioned extra spec on the 132 model over your own...

Presume you know a new 5 series is on the cards. I wonder whether the 162 cars (current model) will be offered with some higher spec to shift stock??

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 843 ✭✭✭HandsomeDan

The all new G30 5 series is being released next year. You'd be nuts to buy an new F10.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,562 ✭✭✭kyote00

Just my opinion.... but seems crazy to change a car for the sake of a bigger nav system and screen. As someone else said, upgrade for sure but maybe get some options which are useful for comfort or driving...

Can the head unit be replaced in your current car with a modern app radio ? (i.e. with 3g, wifi, tv, camera etc) and full integration with your phone....

(I have a pioneer app radio in my 2003 corolla -- wifi, reverse cam, tv, full app integration (i.e. I get txt, whatapps, slack messages onto car screen if I want) -- all integrated with steering wheel controls...)

20GB hard disk ... wow ... is that what the 20 in 520 stands for ....:D
    bazz26 wrote: »
    The Pro system has a bit more to it ..... it also has a 20GB hard drive. .

• Registered Users Posts: 1,596 ✭✭✭RedorDead

The all new G30 5 series is being released next year. You'd be nuts to buy an new F10.

Why? Generally better deals on outgoing cars both in price, product and finance terms. Generally better reliability as well. Normally at the end of a lifecycle the model reliability is as good as its gonna be for that car and the first year or so of a new cars production is fraught with difficulties and recalls.

New car is nice and all that but the clever buyer waits at least a year before buying a new model to let teething issues sort themselves out.

Does anyone else hate the direction bmw are going with their interiors - with the nav screen popping out of the dash? I think it looks muck - f10 has it properly integrated in the dash and turned slightly towards driver which I think is perfect.

• Registered Users Posts: 920 ✭✭✭markad1

Does anyone else hate the direction bmw are going with their interiors - with the nav screen popping out of the dash? I think it looks muck - f10 has it properly integrated in the dash and turned slightly towards driver which I think is perfect.

I hate the new screen popping out. It looks like... oh we forgot the screen..no problem just pop it in there.
    It gives a much nicer finish when its part of the dash.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,139 ✭✭✭Stallingrad

RedorDead wrote: »
    but the clever buyer waits at least a year before buying a new model to let teething issues sort themselves out.

Maybe clever in terms of reliability but not so smart when it comes to resale. A 2017 F10 will be worth a lot less than a 2017 G30. The new G30 will be bristling with 7 series tech that will make the f10 look like a dinosaur.

RedorDead wrote: »
    Why? Generally better deals on outgoing cars both in price, product and finance terms. Generally better reliability as well. Normally at the end of a lifecycle the model reliability is as good as its gonna be for that car and the first year or so of a new cars production is fraught with difficulties and recalls.

New car is nice and all that but the clever buyer waits at least a year before buying a new model to let teething issues sort themselves out.

Better deals on outgoing cars because they are inferior in every way to successive model and you'd want to be insane to buy one.

markad1 wrote: »
    I hate the new screen popping out. It looks like... oh we forgot the screen..no problem just pop it in there.
    It gives a much nicer finish when its part of the dash.

It too low down when it's part of the dash.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,463 ✭✭✭Oafley Jones

I really like the new c class but the infotainment screen does look like an after market solution. I can see it being changed for the mid life update and brought in line with the e and s class... In fact I'm sure there was rumours already suggesting this.

• Advertisement

Disagree - sure it's in line with the instrument cluster

Advertisement