Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

BMW 520d (161 model)

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 208 ✭✭kingstown

I change in or around every 3 years so I’m going to change for the first week in March hopefully. I have thought about holding out, but regardless what dealers say the new 5 wont be available in all engine / spec models until early 2017.
    I also looked at the A6 but again that’s due a change sometime in 2017. Anyway if I’m still around I might trade for the new 520d in 2019. They should have all the teething issues sorted by then.

When I bought my 2010 520d I ordered it in December 2009 and was assured I would have it by March. All the 530d models arrived first. It was June before I received my 520d and my XC90 was sold and I ended up hiring a car for over 2 months.

I have look at this deal from every angle and I’ve 99% decided on the Lux 520d c/w Active lights and Ambient interior lights, it works out at about the right level of spec for my budget. I get the large Nav and all the bits that come with that. She sits on 18” Turbine spoke wheels (€1600 as an option on the SE) also has the Wood dash as standard (€533 extra on the SE) plus the chrome.
    Ambient lights are €261 on the Lux but €328 as an extra on the SE.
    Active headlights are €805, but I think they are worth it, especially on rural bendy roads.

Dealer is to come back with delivery etc, but has assured me he has cars on order so it’s a matter of specking my order into the system.

• Registered Users Posts: 208 ✭✭kingstown

I change in or around every 3 years so I’m going to change for the first week in March hopefully. I have thought about holding out, but regardless what dealers say the new 5 wont be available in all engine / spec models until early 2017.
    I also looked at the A6 but again that’s due a change sometime in 2017. Anyway if I’m still around I might trade for the new 520d in 2019. They should have all the teething issues sorted by then.

When I bought my 2010 520d I ordered it in December 2009 and was assured I would have it by March. All the 530d models arrived first. It was June before I received my 520d and my XC90 was sold and I ended up hiring a car for over 2 months.

I have look at this deal from every angle and I’ve 99% decided on the Lux 520d c/w Active lights and Ambient interior lights, it works out at about the right level of spec for my budget. I get the large Nav and all the bits that come with that. She sits on 18” Turbine spoke wheels (€1600 as an option on the SE) also has the Wood dash as standard (€533 extra on the SE) plus the chrome.
    Active headlights are €805, but I think they are worth it, especially on rural bendy roads.

Dealer is to come back with delivery etc, but has assured me he has cars on order so it’s a matter of specking my order into the system.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,882 ✭✭✭kooga

Currently have a 11 reg 520d touring with the pro sat and sport automatic. This time out not going to bother with these options just get the reg auto as I never used the paddles and spend the money on the sunroof and rear privacy glass. In addition sticking to the standard 18s as the 19s broke my heart

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 843 ✭✭✭HandsomeDan

Disagree - sure it's in line with the instrument cluster

Instrument cluster is also too low, which is why hud is becoming a thing.

• Registered Users Posts: 51,153 ✭✭✭✭bazz26

kingstown wrote: »

If you don't mind me asking what sort of cost to change price is the dealer talking about? I'll be upgrading my 2011 F10 and another F10 of 2013/2014 vintage is one option I'm looking at.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,381 ✭✭✭vintagevrs

I think you are spot on with that spec. If I was ordering I would mirror your choices. It may be standard now, but keyless is something that I would add. It gets used every single time you drive the car. If it's not too expensive, I would tick that box too.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 701 ✭✭✭carsfan

Lovely spec.
    The lux is a hidden gem in the range. I always feel the M sport on a 520d is a bit of a fraud(even though I once bought one!) as its purely cosmetic.
    Enjoy when it comes.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,675 ✭✭✭✭R.O.R

Excellent choice - couldn't have put a spec together better myself.

Was checking 5 Series for a customer on Monday and my dealer came back with some SE options from stock, but said he's got orders in that are currently spec amendable for the next few days, and should arrive in about 5 weeks if ordered soon, so that should more or less meet your timeframe, but don't hang around on actually ordering the car.

• Registered Users Posts: 531 ✭✭✭macjohn

Lovely spec - did you go for it in the end?
    Are they doing much on trade ins? (PM if you prefer)
    I have a 2010 with similar spec except the active headlights but fear I may have held on to it too long and now its value as a trade in may have dropped a lot.

• Registered Users Posts: 203 ✭✭Rob C

I have a 430D GC M Sport which I picked up a few weeks ago and has the full professional media system as standard and it's worth it.

The larger screen is just better and full connected drive functionality is excellent. The pro Sat Nav will come with real time traffic which is a superb system, 3D graphics which are really cool if driving in the city. You can also send directions from Google Maps on your phone to your car's system. Or plot the route within the connected drive website on your PC and send it to your car. BMW have this spot on imho. Plus you could simply call up the concierge and ask them directions to place X and they'll send it right to your car while you're driving.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 12,675 ✭✭✭✭R.O.R

Rob C wrote: »
    I have a 430D GC M Sport which I picked up a few weeks ago and has the full professional media system as standard and it's worth it.

The larger screen is just better and full connected drive functionality is excellent. The pro Sat Nav will come with real time traffic which is a superb system, 3D graphics which are really cool if driving in the city. You can also send directions from Google Maps on your phone to your car's system. Or plot the route within the connected drive website on your PC and send it to your car. BMW have this spot on imho. Plus you could simply call up the concierge and ask them directions to place X and they'll send it right to your car while you're driving.

Just like the standard system on most of the Opel Insignia range?

Is there not a subscription fee with that concierge service? Prob free at the minute with a new car but sounds like a waste of money to me. I can't remember the last time I booked tickets to the theatre whilst driving. Also I rarely don't know where I am going so use sat nav only a handful of times a year.

Are you aware that in the event of an accident the car sends an sos call to that call centre too? This is a good idea, however it also sends data about the crash, which also is a good idea to help emergency services. Data such as speed, direction of travel, number of airbags deployed, number of occupants. All good so far? What happens if the insurance companies have access to that data I wonder? Doing 101kph in a 100kph zone, dangerous and wreck less clearly.

The EU have a target of 2018 to make this emergency call feature (ecall) standard on all new cars from 2018.

vintagevrs wrote: »
    Is there not a subscription fee with that concierge service? Prob free at the minute with a new car but sounds like a waste of money to me. I can't remember the last time I booked tickets to the theatre whilst driving. Also I rarely don't know where I am going so use sat nav only a handful of times a year.

Are you aware that in the event of an accident the car sends an sos call to that call centre too? This is a good idea, however it also sends data about the crash, which also is a good idea to help emergency services. Data such as speed, direction of travel, number of airbags deployed, number of occupants. All good so far? What happens if the insurance companies have access to that data I wonder? Doing 101kph in a 100kph zone, dangerous and wreck less clearly.

The EU have a target of 2018 to make this emergency call feature (ecall) standard on all new cars from 2018.

The concierge service is included with the system for three years I think it is. So I'm not bothered, but for emergencies it could be very useful. As said, if an accident has occurred they can contact the emergency authorities and can also contact you to make sure you're OK. They will call you via the system.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,363 ✭✭✭bmstuff

Can you not ask for a discount when ordering the car?

Even a small discount of 2000 euros will give you some nice extra options (Satnav or combination of other smaller nice features too).

I asked for a discount before and I got 3% off on my brand new 320d
    Another customer that was here with me to buy a brand new car too got himself a 10% discount, but he was a journalist and supplied his journalist ID card.

When my parents bought their e36 brand new in 1991, the dealer gave them a very good deal on their e30 Shadowline too and explained he was authorised to give up to 13% discount with reasons. Not sure if that is still the case today.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,363 ✭✭✭bmstuff

Even a small discount of 2000 euros will give you some nice extra options (Satnav or combination of other smaller nice features too).

Another customer that was here with me to buy a brand new car too got himself a 10% discount, but he was a journalist and supplied his journalist ID card.

When my parents bought their e36 brand new in 1991, the dealer gave them a very good deal on their e30 Shadowline too and explained he was authorised to give up to 13% discount with reasons. Not sure if that is still the case today.

• Registered Users Posts: 341 ✭✭robbe

Also interested in the cost to change, if you're happy to post, considering moving up from 13D 520 but may leave until next year and the new model.....depends on cost differential - might be offers at back end of year as they look to run down/pre-reg/demo some leftover 'old' stock.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,021 ✭✭✭Casati

Would it be in the region of 30k to upgrade a 520d after three years?

• Registered Users Posts: 4,162 ✭✭✭MarkN

bmstuff wrote: »

Why would a journalist be entitled to a bigger discount than you? Sounds like some tool with that carry on, producing an ID?!

Casati wrote: »
    Would it be in the region of 30k to upgrade a 520d after three years?

You had better hope not! Less than 20 I would have thought.

bmstuff wrote: »

This made no sense to me either.

Also 3% seems very poor discount on retail price.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,422 ✭✭✭Avns1s

You had better hope not! Less than 20 I would have thought.

Would be much closer to 30 than 20!!

Avns1s wrote: »
    Would be much closer to 30 than 20!!

Just looked on carzone and retail price difference between 131 and 161 is 15k. I know someone who upgraded 3 years in a 520d very recently for 15k exactly.

• Registered Users Posts: 51,153 ✭✭✭✭bazz26

Just looked on carzone and retail price difference between 131 and 161 is 15k. I know someone who upgraded 3 years in a 520d very recently for 15k exactly.

Was that from a BMW dealer? Was it like for like, ie SE to SE or M Sport to M Sport?

bazz26 wrote: »
    Was that from a BMW dealer?

Yes

• Registered Users Posts: 28,119 ✭✭✭✭drunkmonkey

What are you looking at if you wanted to upgrade from a 131 520d to a 161 530d? Has anyone priced it?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,006 ✭✭✭bmwguy

2013 520d range from 29 to 42 on carzone.
    Let's take a midpoint of 35-36k.
    Realistically they are only asking prices so I would say the midpoint cars are moving for 33k.

2016 520d range from 50-63k with one touring sport model close to 70, we will discount that one. Midpoint approx 56-57, say actually selling for 55k.

Cost to change 22k
    It also means a depreciation rate of 40% over 3 years which is obviously a 60% residual rate which seems pretty much what I would expect to see.

Only averages of course you have your high spec, low mileage cars worth more than the average both new and used that throw the figures out.

Could move from a 131 520d to a 161 518d for less than this though

• Registered Users Posts: 6,811 ✭✭✭CrowdedHouse

Rob C wrote: »

Just goes to show-I also have a 430GC and I'm glad I didn't pay extra for the Pro Nav as I'm disappointed with it. I find it fiddly to use, worst of all the maps are inaccurate in several places near my home (despite a recent OTA update) meaning that if I was going to a place I didn't know I'm not sure if I could trust it. For navigation the Garmin I have would run rings around it

Seven Worlds will Collide

Just goes to show-I also have a 430GC and I'm glad I didn't pay extra for the Pro Nav as I'm disappointed with it. I find it fiddly to use, worst of all the maps are inaccurate in several places near my home (despite a recent OTA update) meaning that if I was going to a place I didn't know I'm not sure if I could trust it. For navigation the Garmin I have would run rings around it

It's funny isn't it? The different perspectives. The RTTI works great from what I've seen, accurately giving the traffic flows etc. I like the way you can plot your trip on BMW My Routes as well and just send it to your car before you set off.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 701 ✭✭✭carsfan

15k to go up 3 years seems very cheap to me. Was it to brand new car?
    Would have thought 20k to go up 3 years.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,006 ✭✭✭bmwguy

carsfan wrote: »
    15k to go up 3 years seems very cheap to me. Was it to brand new car?
    Would have thought 20k to go up 3 years.

I did a quick research it seems like for like is about 22k to go from 3 years to brand new. But he could have had a good deal, who knows.

The depreciation between 3 and 6 years seems to be closer to 15k, probably a bit less maybe 13k

Advertisement