Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Double Gameweek Planning

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 17,022 ✭✭✭✭Iused2likebusts

FHFC wrote: »
    Swansea are the next best bet then. All that is needed is Everton to beat Bournemouth in the Cup.

Ye an Everton win there would give me Elliott morgan wolly Daniels williams mahrez for gw 30 which would be a nice position to be in.

FHFC wrote: »
    Swansea are the next best bet then. All that is needed is Everton to beat Bournemouth in the Cup.

Ye an Everton win there would give me Elliott morgan wolly Daniels williams mahrez for gw 30 which would be a nice position to be in.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,262 ✭✭✭iroced

So.

GW27 4 blanks should not make DGW25 to happen (for City & Newcastle) considering the now very short notice.

We have a high potential huge blank GW30 coming (and maybe a very large GW35 one too). If we assume PL games won't happen when European football is on, we have a huge (the largest ever maybe?) DGW34 and a high potential big DGW37 if 4 PL sides make it to the FA Cup semis.

You obviously all know that. But this leads me to my October fantasy about how to maximise the use of our shiny new chips this year.
    iroced wrote: »
    1. AOA for the blank GW by gradually stocking on attackers from the playing teams.
    2. WC to build your strong XV for the first DGW.
    3. BB for the first DGW (in this scenario this would be the bigger one of the 2 and you could really get a XV DGW squad e.g. Leicester cheap defensive cover would have been great last year for that purpose)
    4. TC for the second DGW
    Bar 1. (*), this masterplan could well work a treat. Only thing is it's gonna be tough to get a strong DGW34 team and a strong GW35blank team without hits. When is the FA Cup draw taking place? Right after the last FA Cup Quarter? So we'll know for GW31 planning?

(*) 1. doesn't make much sense since GW27 has most of the defensive performing teams at home (Saints, Leicester, Stoke, WB, United & Spurs though for Saints & United it's respectively Chelsea & Arsenal).

---

Transfer-wise, let's hope there are no draws in the FA Cup 5th Round such that we know the 1/4s for GW27 i.e. we have at least 4 free transfers (5 max) to accomodate GW30 blank.

Then another 4 (5 max) free transfers to build our DGW34 (obviously I don't incude the WCers).

Right after 1 free transfer only (max 2, ideally for the pre-GW34 WCers) to accomodate GW35 blank.

And 2 free transfers (I doubt anyone will have carried a FT up to this point) to build DGW37 (TGW37 for City? or DGW37 & DGW38, don't know how they'll spread the games in such a scenario).

---

So, if this DGW timing is followed, the main advantage of the WC is to get prepared for GW35 potential huge blank (e.g. a GW33 WC should allow you to build the maximised DGW34-GW35blank combo while allowig you to bank yiur transfer in GW34 such that you have 2 FT for GW35 ;)).

• Registered Users Posts: 48,189 ✭✭✭✭km79

I'm beginning to feel nervous about only having the TC chip left !

• Registered Users Posts: 2,830 ✭✭✭shineon23

km79 wrote: »
    I'm beginning to feel nervous about only having the TC chip left !

I've all my chips left. And nervous about waiting around for an opportunity that mightn't happen.
    I wouldn't worry too much, a lot of people in my main league seem to have misused there, I held on this long as I didn't know when best to play them. Hoping my chips will help me make up ground.

Using AOA this GW just to get it off my mind. Doubt it will benefit me too much though.

Then similar to what Iroced said above, WC to have 15 DGW'ers and bench boost.

Aguero will be getting my TC,
    unless Sanchez, Costa or Rooney make a case for it in another DGW,
    doubt I'd chance it on any of them though.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 33,085 ✭✭✭✭CSF

I think your strategy looks pretty beneficial iroced (barring the AOA which is probably a weaker week to use it than a week where you'll have 8 great attackers and be reluctant to bench 1)

I regret using the bench boost (maybe I mightn't if I'd gotten more benefit from it) because having 15 DGW players in a week is obviously huge. I don't regret using my second wildcard though as it's saved my season, and maybe the bench boost wouldn't have been so useful without a preceeding wildcard anyway.

Right. We know what the FA Cup 5th round games are. Let's stuck our neck out and predict the GW30 blanks.

Chelsea v Manchester City ==> Liverpool - Chelsea or Norwich - Man City
    Reading v West Brom/Peterborough ==> Arsenal - WBA
    Watford v Leeds United ==> WHU - Watford
    Shrewsbury Town v Manchester United ==> MU - Palace
    Blackburn Rovers v Liverpool/West Ham United ==> Liverpool - Chelsea or WHU - Watford
    Tottenham v Crystal Palace ==> Villa - Tottenham
    Arsenal v Hull City ==> Arsenal - WBA
    Bournemouth v Everton ==> Bournemouth - Swansea or Sunderland - Everton

Green = Goes through.
    Blue = 50/50.
    Black = Doesn't matter (for GW30).
    Red = "guaranteed" GW30 blank.

-

Let's summarise.

GW27
    'Pool - Everton
    Newcastle - MCI

GW30
    Stoke - Southampton
    Leicester - Newcastle

Arsenal - WBA
    MU - Palace
    Villa - Tottenham
    WHU - Watford

Liverpool - Chelsea or Norwich - Man City
    Bournemouth - Swansea or Sunderland - Everton

So. To get the biggest DGW ever, we need
    1. 'Pool to knock WHU & Blackburn out such that 'Pool-Chelsea blanks (and WHU blanks anyway since I back Watford up for it).
    2. City to knock Chelsea out such that Norwich-City blanks (and Chelsea blanks thanks to 'Pool anyway).

Bournemouth - Everton outcome doesn't matter that much.

If the above 2 conditions are respected, GW30 will only have 3 games
    Bournemouth - Swansea or Sunderland - Everton
    added to the 2 already guaranteed ones.

And I haven't even factored in the GW27 games... If my above maximum GW30 chaos scenario happens, the end of this season will go into absolute mayhem :pac:!

GW34
    Arsenal - Palace
    Arsenal - WBA
    WBA - Watford
    MU - Villa
    MU - Palace
    Stoke - Tottenham
    Villa - Tottenham
    WHU - Watford

GW35
    Leicester - Swansea
    Villa - Southampton

--

Safe transfers? Southampton & Leicester !!! Then Swansea (rely on Everton to beat Bournemouth for GW30). Then it's anyone guess :p...

• Registered Users Posts: 8,747 ✭✭✭Ziegler1988

Fifth Round live TV ties

Arsenal v Hull City
    12.45pm, Saturday 20 February
    Live on BT Sport 2

Bournemouth v Everton
    5.15pm, Saturday 20 February
    Live on BBC 1

Blackburn Rovers v West Ham United or Liverpool
    2pm, Sunday 21 February
    Live on BT Sport 2

Chelsea v Manchester City
    4pm, Sunday 21 February
    Live on BBC 1

Shrewsbury Town v Manchester United
    7.45pm, Monday 22 February
    Live on BT Sport 2

Read more at http://www.thefa.com/news/the-fa-cup/2016/feb/fifth-round-proper-tv-selections-050216#fQhI24SJQkZhMHjY.99

Ian LadymanVerified account ‏@Ian_Ladyman_DM 5h5 hours ago
    Pellegrini on FA Cup tie with Chelsea: "I am very worried. If we have to play on the Sunday then I will play a young team." #mcfc #cfc

So, if we believe Pellegrini then he will not start his strongest team in the FA Cup since they play Dynamo Kiev away the following Wednesday. Probably bumps up the odds of Chelsea advancing

Which would be very helpful for early wildcarders if city go out. It mean's city and Newcastle would have a fixture in gw 30 and a double in gw34. The lack of a double in gw25 should actually help wildcarders. This is complicated but if you don't have a wildcard and only fa cup games are getting refixed. Every team that has a blank in 30 will have a double in 34. So if you play eleven in 30 you can max have 4 dgw players in your squad your 4 subs that week. You potentially have 5 f.ts before the dgw 34 that gives you a max of 9 dgw players. If you play 9 in gw 30 you can get 11 dgw players. Basically you are going to get caught out one way.However if city go out of the cup they play norwich in gw30 and the game against newcastle is refixed for gw34. City and Newcastle players will be the key players for early wildcarders. We could play eleven in 30 say with 4 coming from Newcastle City. That leaves 4 dgw players on the bench and your 4 new city dgw players and a potential 5 f.ts. so you could get 14 dgw players if necessary. My advice to everyone would be try to have 2 f.ts going into gw 27 as we will know the result of the city Chelsea cup game.

• Registered Users Posts: 48,189 ✭✭✭✭km79

Which would be very helpful for early wildcarders if city go out. It mean's city and Newcastle would have a fixture in gw 30 and a double in gw34. The lack of a double in gw25 should actually help wildcarders. This is complicated but if you don't have a wildcard and only fa cup games are getting refixed. Every team that has a blank in 30 will have a double in 34. So if you play eleven in 30 you can max have 4 dgw players in your squad your 4 subs that week. You potentially have 5 f.ts before the dgw 34 that gives you a max of 9 dgw players. If you play 9 in gw 30 you can get 11 dgw players. Basically you are going to get caught out one way.However if city go out of the cup they play norwich in gw30 and the game against newcastle is refixed for gw34. City and Newcastle players will be the key players for early wildcarders. We could play eleven in 30 say with 4 coming from Newcastle City. That leaves 4 dgw players on the bench and your 4 new city dgw players and a potential 5 f.ts. so you could get 14 dgw players if necessary. My advice to everyone would be try to have 2 f.ts going into gw 27 as we will know the result of the city Chelsea cup game.
    I hope city go out :D

• Advertisement

km79 wrote: »
    I hope city go out :D

100% Chelsea all the way.

• Registered Users Posts: 850 ✭✭✭lougal88

Fifth Round live TV ties

Arsenal v Hull City
    12.45pm, Saturday 20 February
    Live on BT Sport 2

Bournemouth v Everton
    5.15pm, Saturday 20 February
    Live on BBC 1

Blackburn Rovers v West Ham United or Liverpool
    2pm, Sunday 21 February
    Live on BT Sport 2

Chelsea v Manchester City
    4pm, Sunday 21 February
    Live on BBC 1

Shrewsbury Town v Manchester United
    7.45pm, Monday 22 February
    Live on BT Sport 2

Read more at http://www.thefa.com/news/the-fa-cup/2016/feb/fifth-round-proper-tv-selections-050216#fQhI24SJQkZhMHjY.99

Ian LadymanVerified account ‏@Ian_Ladyman_DM 5h5 hours ago
    Pellegrini on FA Cup tie with Chelsea: "I am very worried. If we have to play on the Sunday then I will play a young team." #mcfc #cfc

So, if we believe Pellegrini then he will not start his strongest team in the FA Cup since they play Dynamo Kiev away the following Wednesday. Probably bumps up the odds of Chelsea advancing

Just me or does Ian Ladyman sound like a Little Britain character?

Ok. I've read through the thread twice.

I'm preparing for the skinny upcoming GW so I want to get in 2 players over the next 2 weeks in preparation.

So what teams are guaranteed a fixture that week ?

My notes are telling me to bring in a Bournemouth midfielder and a Saints defender.

I'm thinking of bringing in Stanislas or Pugh in midfield and Cedric in defence.

Gw 27 to 35 Leicester have an unreal set of fixtures 6 home games out of 9. Newcastle wba Westham swansea palace Norwich Watford Southampton Sunderland. This period covers the 3 blanks vardez and a Leicester defender all the way.

Gw 27 to 35 Leicester have an unreal set of fixtures 6 home games out of 9. Newcastle wba Westham swansea palace Norwich Watford Southampton Sunderland. This period covers the 3 blanks vardez and a Leicester defender all the way.

I'll probably bottle and get Vardy, but double Leicester defence could be a handy differential

• Registered Users Posts: 19,705 ✭✭✭✭Ace2007

On paper the fixtures look well, but when you look into it, not exactly easy games

Newcastle have spent money and are fighting to get out of relegation places.
    WBA are slowing getting dragged in and Pulls will be making sure to shut up shop.
    Swansea are also down near relegation and have hit some good form.

My fear for Leciester would be if Mahrez got injured, they have been very fortunate all season with little or no injuries to key players, wasn't there a case of Vardy making v symbol to fans in a game that pretty much got buried by the english press?

I think that Leicester will actually hit a bad patch, and very tempted to bet on them finishing outside the top 4 tbh.

Having said all that for FF POV, Mahrez would be a must - no so sure on defenders.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,710 ✭✭✭2nd Row Donkey

Ace2007 wrote:
    I think that Leicester will actually hit a bad patch, and very tempted to bet on them finishing outside the top 4 tbh.

I think the bookies would be delighted to take your money.

Ace2007 wrote: »
    On paper the fixtures look well, but when you look into it, not exactly easy games

WBA are slowing getting dragged in and Pulls will be making sure to shut up shop.

My fear for Leciester would be if Mahrez got injured, they have been very fortunate all season with little or no injuries to key players, wasn't there a case of Vardy making v symbol to fans in a game that pretty much got buried by the english press?

Having said all that for FF POV, Mahrez would be a must - no so sure on defenders.

I can't see them not getting top 4 at this stage. Their form has been like this for close to 38 games if u look at the end of last season. They probably only need 5 to 6 wins from the last 14 games to guarantee top 4.

Sorry for the off-topic. But...

Leicester this season reminds me very very strongly of my beloved Montpellier team that managed to create one of the biggest upset in Bosman ruling football era by becoming French champion in 2012, right at the start of the Qatari's Ancellotti's PSG era.

Belhanda (moroccan international) was our playmaker (our Mahrez) and he linked up perfectly with Giroud (our Vardy, Giroud whom we took from league 2 Tours FC and brought all the way up to the national side ; not that far from Vardy's story) who scored 21 goals in the league that year (he finished co-best scorer). Our defense was solid, nothing extraordinary but we managed to close the shop when we had to.

We did fairly well against the top French side. We beat Lille (the defending champion, Hazard was still playing for them) twice (and if the first leg in Lille was a "robbery", the second in Montpellier, second last game of the season, was a great game with a 94th min winner from a Giroud wonder counter-attack (*)). We beat Marseille twice too (with wonder goals from both Giroud & Belhanda). We drew 2-2 in Paris after a great game where we had the control of the ball. We got thrashed only once, at home to Paris 0-3, early in the season (exactly like Leicester so far, home to Arsenal). We lost in Lyon (Lloris was their GK) but beat them at home. We drew in Saint-Etienne, beat them at home too. Ditto Bordeaux.

We did struggle at times against teams fighting against relegation (bloody Evian feckers :pac:). So, despite Montpellier & Leicester situations being intrinsically different (not the same league, not the same opponents, not the same context, etc...), I'd give some credit to Ace post. Leicester may find it more difficult than we expect against teams playing defensive, shutting down the shop and using counter-attacks, fighting like dogs not to be relegated. In a way, it's easier to play big sides that are built to attack and who let plenty of spaces on the pitch.

The other thing that may affect Leicester at some point is when they'll really realise that they're doing it. That they're making history and they can't let it pass. 'Cause, seasons like that for such clubs only happen once in a lifetime. And in the below video (second last game, a win and we only needed 1 pt away to an already relegated team in the last game to be champion) you can see Giroud's relief after the goal. Tells how huge a pressure they put on themselves.

(*) Cannot not link again to this wonder goal. Giroud deserves a statue in Montpellier :p.

• Registered Users Posts: 22,249 ✭✭✭✭Lemlin

Ace2007 wrote: »

No European or Cup football is huge for Leocester though. They have nothing to concentrate on but the League.

All of their top 4 opponents are going to have fixture congestion, even some of the lower placed clubs you mention are, yet Leicester are going to have regular breaks.

They also don't have a bad bench if there are injuries. The likes of Ulloa and Okazaki to come in.

• Advertisement

Lemlin wrote: »
    No European or Cup football is huge for Leocester though. They have nothing to concentrate on but the League.

All of their top 4 opponents are going to have fixture congestion, even some of the lower placed clubs you mention are, yet Leicester are going to have regular breaks.

They also don't have a bad bench if there are injuries. The likes of Ulloa and Okazaki to come in.

Helen from accounts must be delighted

• Registered Users Posts: 22,249 ✭✭✭✭Lemlin

Helen from accounts must be delighted

She's back in the UK and a fully fledged member of the Leicester baby squad!

• Registered Users Posts: 14,265 ✭✭✭✭SteelyDanJalapeno

When will we know to the extent of it, what teams will play in gw 27?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,096 ✭✭✭✭the groutch

all teams bar City, Everton, Liverpool & Newcastle are playing in GW27

When will we know to the extent of it, what teams will play in gw 27?

We already know GW27 and after this next GW we should know most of the blanks for GW30 besides any FA Cup ties that go to replays. Saving the FT is probably my smartest move, but it would either mean double Palace defence this GW or starting Morono again. I'm tempted to just bring in another Saints defender

• Registered Users Posts: 33,085 ✭✭✭✭CSF

Bringing Fuchs in this week as part of my plan to have 11 in both 27 and 30 with no wildcard or hits.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,969 ✭✭✭✭alchemist33

We already know GW27 and after this next GW we should know most of the blanks for GW30 besides any FA Cup ties that go to replays. Saving the FT is probably my smartest move, but it would either mean double Palace defence this GW or starting Morono again. I'm tempted to just bring in another Saints defender

Same dilemma here and i'll probably save it until we know more.

On tripling up on Leicester, remember we all want 15 DGWers plus Bench Boost for GW 34? That just won't happen if we have Leicester and other players without DGWs. The "30 players in a GW" dream may have to die.

Same dilemma here and i'll probably save it until we know more.

On tripling up on Leicester, remember we all want 15 DGWers plus Bench Boost for GW 34? That just won't happen if we have Leicester and other players without DGWs. The "30 players in a GW" dream may have to die.

I have a WC and am either bench boosting with 15 DGWers in GW34 or 37. Might as well go all out on one given I'm chasing in all my big MLs

• Registered Users Posts: 3,672 ✭✭✭ElTel

CSF wrote: »
    Bringing Fuchs in this week as part of my plan to have 11 in both 27 and 30 with no wildcard or hits.

Yeah, him or Forster will be my transfer depending on likely price changes.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,672 ✭✭✭ElTel

It's looking like I'm playing 5-4-1 in GW27 and holding Firmino Lukaku and Aguero.

Advertisement