Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Double Gameweek Planning

Options
  • 21-01-2016 4:56pm
    Registered Users Posts: 9,379 ✭✭✭

Gonna make a thread on the DGW's and I'll keep the first post updated when things become clear.

First thing of note happened last night, with Leicester getting knocked out of the cup. One of the most common reason for a DGW is PL games getting postponed on FA Cup QF weekend. Games that do go ahead on GW30 are actually worth noting too however, as while most will have a blank GW30, these teams will be playing.

So the first fixture that will definitely go ahead on GW30 is...
    • Leicester V Newcastle.
    These teams will not have a DGW (unless weather etc kicks in). Probably not worth fretting much about yet, but the likes of Simpson (Lei) and Elliott (New) could be handy cheap subs to have that week.

Also, for reference, here's a great article about DGW's

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 8,747 ✭✭✭Ziegler1988

Newcastle are still in line for a DGW if Man City advance to the League Cup final

• Registered Users Posts: 17,022 ✭✭✭✭Iused2likebusts

Wijnaldum with a potential double and a definite gw 30 fixture could soon be in a lot of teams. Hopefully elliot can keep his place one of the reasons I got him in wildcard was to cover me for gw30 was hoping for a spurs win in the replay. The way the fa cup draw is looking we could have as few as 3 or 4 fixtures in gw 30

• Registered Users Posts: 11,271 ✭✭✭✭FHFC

Possibly also another reason to keep Mahrez for a while.

Need to have a good look at dgw strategy, with Boards being down I've gotten quite distracted by random stuff like "work" and "family" so will be good to get back to really important stuff.....

• Registered Users Posts: 4,662 ✭✭✭sheroman01

That article is great, thanks! Very interesting if Man City or Liverpool get to the League Cup final. Aguero/Firminio TC!
    If City beat Everton:
    City could have Leicester (h) and Newcastle (a) in GW25; Newcastle’s other fixture would be WBA (h)

If Everton beat City:
    Everton could have Stoke (a) and Liverpool (a) in GW25

If Stoke beat Liverpool:
    Stoke could have Everton (h) and Villa (h) in GW25; Villa’s other fixture would be Norwich (h)

If Liverpool beat Stoke:
    Liverpool could have Sunderland (h) and Everton (h) in GW25

• Registered Users Posts: 22,249 ✭✭✭✭Lemlin

sheroman01 wrote: »
    That article is great, thanks! Very interesting if Man City or Liverpool get to the League Cup final. Aguero/Firminio TC!

Aguero TC for that GW surely. Hopefully City beat Everton this week.

• Advertisement

Someone on FFS made a calendar tracking potential DGWs and blanks as well as fixtures that are safe: https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/1zcb5jGdVitByKQ8R1X4gcEBpiNY9qbLylr72btlTubc/edit#gid=1214293201

Someone on FFS made a calendar tracking potential DGWs and blanks as well as fixtures that are safe: https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/1zcb5jGdVitByKQ8R1X4gcEBpiNY9qbLylr72btlTubc/edit#gid=1214293201

Results we want in FA Cup....
    Portsmouth to beat Bournemouth will mean Swansea will have games in both 30 and 35. Already have a game in 35.
    - Good for Williams owners. Siggy and Ayew become interesting.

Palace to beat Stoke will mean Southampton have a game both 30 and 35 assuming Man City also beat Villa. If Matty Targett keeps his place he'll be gold. Austin could be a great option too.

Edit: As pointed out below the rest of this post is crap as the last 16 of the Cup is on after GW26. It does still show that theres a high chance a lot of PL sides will still be in the last 16. There are 3 all PL ties and 8 more with lower league opposition of which 5 you'd expect to win handy enough. But then its the Cup!

Looking at the Cup draw if the following ties involving PL sides go with the pretty strong favourite then GW30 will be decimated.
      *Man U to beat Derby *Spurs beat Colchester *Arsenal beat Burnley *Chelsea beat MK Dons *City beat Villa *Everton beat Carlisle

If the rest all lost (Bournemouth, WBA, Watford, Stoke) it would still leave GW30 as only:
    Bournemouth v Swansea
    Leicester v Newcastle
    Stoke v Southampton

If Bournemouth also beat Portsmouth away and Stoke win at Palace then Leicester v Newcastle could be the only PL game in GW30.

It certainly looks likely that 3 or 4 PL games will be the height of it that week.

FHFC wrote: »
    Results we want in FA Cup....
    Portsmouth to beat Bournemouth will mean Swansea will have games in both 30 and 35. Already have a game in 35.
    - Good for Williams owners. Siggy and Ayew become interesting.

Palace to beat Stoke will mean Southampton have a game both 30 and 35 assuming Man City also beat Villa. If Matty Targett keeps his place he'll be gold. Austin could be a great option too.

Looking at the Cup draw if the following ties involving PL sides go with the pretty strong favourite then GW30 will be decimated.
      *Man U to beat Derby *Spurs beat Colchester *Arsenal beat Burnley *Chelsea beat MK Dons *City beat Villa *Everton beat Carlisle

If the rest all lost (Bournemouth, WBA, Watford, Stoke) it would still leave GW30 as only:
    Bournemouth v Swansea
    Leicester v Newcastle
    Stoke v Southampton

If Bournemouth also beat Portsmouth away and Stoke win at Palace then Leicester v Newcastle could be the only PL game in GW30.

It certainly looks likely that 3 or 4 PL games will be the height of it that week.

There's still one more round of the FA Cup after this before GW30 blank

There's still one more round of the FA Cup after this before GW30 blank

Ah fcuk. Is there? I got the wrong impression from that spreadsheet.

The first half of that post still makes sense then.

Ah fcuk. Is there? I got the wrong impression from that spreadsheet.

The first half of that post still makes sense then.

I'm impressed though you are getting to my level of dgw obsessive overthinking. Easy mistake to make you were probably a bit giddy from all those monthly prizes you have been winning.

• Advertisement

I'm impressed though you are getting to my level of dgw obsessive overthinking. Easy mistake to make you were probably a bit giddy from all those monthly prizes you have been winning.

I was just looking at the second page of that spreadsheet and comparing the draw with the GW30 schedule.

Given I'm going for the late wildcard DGW planning is going to be crucial. Depending on how the Cup goes then I think GW30 could be a key area where the DGW wildcarders can gain advantage. If GW30 has only 4 games, which is still very possible, the I can work from GW25 to maximise a team for Gw30 with a view to wikdcarding soon after. GW33 wildcard is the template plan but going in 31 or 32 after putting out a very strong GW30 team might be an alternative plan.

I'm very possibly gonna out-obsess you this year! :)

I was just looking at the second page of that spreadsheet and comparing the draw with the GW30 schedule.

Given I'm going for the late wildcard DGW planning is going to be crucial. Depending on how the Cup goes then I think GW30 could be a key area where the DGW wildcarders can gain advantage. If GW30 has only 4 games, which is still very possible, the I can work from GW25 to maximise a team for Gw30 with a view to wikdcarding soon after. GW33 wildcard is the template plan but going in 31 or 32 after putting out a very strong GW30 team might be an alternative plan.

I'm very possibly gonna out-obsess you this year! :)

Ye that gw 31 plan was something I was thinking about before I wildcarded. It could work out really well particularly if there are no fa cup qf replays. Dgw planning is even more important for us early wildcarders as we have no easy way to load up on Dgw players. I really hope there is a Dgw in 25 as I set up for that and gw 30 in my wildcard by getting Newcastle and Leicester Def coverage. It's a pity this week's bandwagon firmino will probably end up having a double.

Ye that gw 31 plan was something I was thinking about before I wildcarded. It could work out really well particularly if there are no fa cup qf replays. Dgw planning is even more important for us early wildcarders as we have no easy way to load up on Dgw players. I really hope there is a Dgw in 25 as I set up for that and gw 30 in my wildcard by getting Newcastle and Leicester Def coverage. It's a pity this week's bandwagon firmino will probably end up having a double.

I suppose the dgw plan is vital for everyone and even trickier for the no wildcard lads. I'm obviously really hoping for a decimated GW30 as i think that will be the best outcome for a wildcard.

Firminos potential double was one of the reasons i went for him (as well as OOP, great attacking stats since up front and great fixtures 23 to 26). It was a calculated bet on Liverpool finishing the job vs Stoke as I took out Arnie for him.

I suppose the dgw plan is vital for everyone and even trickier for the no wildcard lads. I'm obviously really hoping for a decimated GW30 as i think that will be the best outcome for a wildcard.

Firminos potential double was one of the reasons i went for him (as well as OOP, great attacking stats since up front and great fixtures 23 to 26). It was a calculated bet on Liverpool finishing the job vs Stoke as I took out Arnie for him.

I'm hoping for the same in gw 30 and a monster dgw in 34 which would help us early wildcarders get close to the number of dgw players a wildcarder could have.

I'm hoping for the same in gw 30 and a monster dgw in 34 which would help us early wildcarders get close to the number of dgw players a wildcarder could have.

Yeah. But surely you will find it much harder to have a high number of players in 30 and then field DGW players in 34 from mainly the teams that don't play in 30. In your analysis thread you'll need to include gw30 players fielded as a comparison.

Wildcarding between 30 and 34 to make the switch around is where I hope to gain ground.

Yeah. But surely you will find it much harder to have a high number of players in 30 and then field DGW players in 34 from mainly the teams that don't play in 30. In your analysis thread you'll need to include gw30 players fielded as a comparison.

Wildcarding between 30 and 34 to make the switch around is where I hope to gain ground.

Ye the analysis thread states gw 30 as a key week we need to look at for number of players played. For gw 30 I currently have 2 Leicester and 1 newcastle. I've also a saved transfer so hoping to be able to get a fairly strong team for gw 30 obviously not as strong as somebody that would wildcard in gw31. If you do it there I think you will be in the minority but I think it's a very interesting time to play it. There is going to be complications for people no matter when they play a wildcard as we could have doubles in 25 34 and 37 and blanks in 27 30 and 35. It's hard to know when the optimal time to play it is.

• Registered Users Posts: 22,249 ✭✭✭✭Lemlin

My plan is to probably wildcard the week before a DGW and then use my bench boost during the DGW having filled my team with 15 decent starters.

I'll also try to use TC the week Aguero has a decent double (if City win tomorrow).

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,502 ✭✭✭spock.

Liverpool and Everton blank GW27 confirmed

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,096 ✭✭✭✭the groutch

of course if Everton win tomorrow, that's the only blank that week.

• Registered Users Posts: 33,022 ✭✭✭✭CSF

of course if Everton win tomorrow, that's the only blank that week.

I hope this doesn't happen, if only so I'm guaranteed Aguero with a decent DGW for treble captaining.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,830 ✭✭✭Cookie_Dough

CSF wrote: »
    I hope this doesn't happen, if only so I'm guaranteed Aguero with a decent DGW for treble captaining.

What gameweek could that be? I'll be intending to do the same.

• Registered Users Posts: 33,022 ✭✭✭✭CSF

What gameweek could that be? I'll be intending to do the same.

Potentially GW25.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,379 ✭✭✭Shedite27

Only potential DGW's are...
    GW25, GW34 or GW37.

Of course, if both are knocked out of the cup this weekend, they can play their league fixture the FA Cup weekend, which avoids the blank GW27 (as happened with Swa/Liv a few years back).

• Registered Users Posts: 9,379 ✭✭✭Shedite27

GW25, GW34 or GW37.

Of course, if both are knocked out of the cup this weekend, they can play their league fixture the FA Cup weekend, which avoids the blank GW27 (as happened with Swa/Liv a few years back).

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,096 ✭✭✭✭the groutch

somehow I doubt Everton will be losing to Carlisle, unless they put out a complete 2nd/3rd squad.

btw isn't the midweek after GW25 not also allocated to FA Cup replays?
    so if Liverpool - West Ham is a draw the DGW in GW25 wouldn't be possible. (same if City go through tonight and draw against Villa in the FA Cup)

Shedite27 wrote: »
    GW25, GW34 or GW37.

The blank will still happen in gw27 as the carling cup final is on. Potentially Liverpool Everton could be rescheduled for gw 30 if both are out of the FA Cup. However whatever game they are due to have in gw 30 would then be moved to gw 34 giving us a double then.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,502 ✭✭✭spock.

somehow I doubt Everton will be losing to Carlisle, unless they put out a complete 2nd/3rd squad.

btw isn't the midweek after GW25 not also allocated to FA Cup replays? so if Liverpool - West Ham is a draw the DGW in GW25 wouldn't be possible. (same if City go through tonight and draw against Villa in the FA Cup)

Correct. The potential dgw25 is more hope than expectation at this point.

Just thinking with potential FA cup replays these games can't be refined until Jan 30th and would need to be refined for Feb 9/10 to make a double in GW25. I wonder is that too short notice for a game to be refixed for.

Just thinking with potential FA cup replays these games can't be refined until Jan 30th and would need to be refined for Feb 9/10 to make a double in GW25. I wonder is that too short notice for a game to be refixed for.

In the spreadsheet Ziegler posted yer man had the midweek of 16/17 Feb (GW26) marked as potential FA Cup replays. This is the midweek the CL starts up again, and while there is a rule that no midweek PL games are played that week I doubt that applies to Cup replays. So if Liverpool have a cup replay it could possibly happen then with the league game in GW25.

City don't play Kiev in the CL till the following week 24th Feb. So if they draw with Villa in FA Cup it may also be possible to have that replay in GW26 also.

In other words, if Cup replays can happen the same week as CL games the PL could refix a potential Liverpool and City league games for GW25 tomorrow morning and then in the event of an FA Cup replay for either cross that bridge after 30th Jan and fix for GW26.

Hows that for obsessive fixture analysis..... ;)

• Advertisement

Arsenal already have 9/10 Feb on schedule for possible replay. I think they could do the 10 day window after this weekend to the following midweek if neither team has a replay. It's enough time to coordinate with the police

Advertisement