Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Double Gameweek Planning

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 17,022 ✭✭✭✭Iused2likebusts

FHFC wrote: »
    Its not quite as simple as that though. In a pure numbers game yes. But this is FPL not Maths.

In the world before Bench Boost having 11 DGW players was a pipe dream. Never mind the ripping apart your team, you'd have had to take a huge risk and bench or sell key, high ownership, form players just for the crime of only having a SGW. The effect of that is that without BB you'd be mad to play 11 DGW players for a DGW. It wouldn't happen.

So back to your example. Player 1 plays BB in a SGW and so gets 4 extra players. Player 2 plays BB in a DGW with 11 DGWers gets 4 extra players. BUT how many DGW players did Player 1 field in the actual DGW?? I'll bet it was nowhere near 11. Say it was 7 (a heck of a turnout in the pre chip DGW days). So by utilising BB to field 11 DGWers in the DGW Player 2 has gained another 4 players on Player 1. Lost yet?? :)

Thats still not the be all and end all. But i think its makes a clear argument that the best use of BB is in a DGW to allow more (nowhere near 15 but more) double players than otherwise while not dropping key SGW players who, if they score well, would cancel out all your gains from your double lads due to their ownership. In your case if you dont BB in GW34 will you really still go for as many DGW players in place of Kane, Mahrez etc as you would if BBing?

If nothing else having 10 or 11 doubles rather than 7 increases your chance of hitting on the one DGW players who does go nuts (Phillips/Benteke of last year).
    Why are you assuming that the person that plays a bb in a sgw only has 7 dgw players. It comes down to your bench one week against all other weeks. Spurs and Leicester don't have the most favourable fixtures in gw34 the players most likely to be benched. There is nothing stopping a person wildcarding in 33 playing 11 dgw in 34 and bb in another gw. Or considering we have had strong front 8 most of the season there was plenty of other times BB on paper could have been utilised for 4 sub players with fixtures as good as what your bench will face in 34.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,694 ✭✭✭✭dahat

My third striker position causing some headaches for my Wildcard.

Defoe and Lukaku with my current one if Vardy all in the mix. Tempted to gamble on Defoe to see how he works out till DGW34, anyone considered him?

• Registered Users Posts: 8,121 ✭✭✭Cypher_sounds

Quick question, if I have 2ft's going into gw33 and I wildard do those 2 transfers carry over?
    Or if i have 1ft and use the wildcard will I have 2fts for the gw after I wildcard?

• Registered Users Posts: 7,779 ✭✭✭Benimar

Quick question, if I have 2ft's going into gw33 and I wildard do those 2 transfers carry over?
    Or if i have 1ft and use the wildcard will I have 2fts for the gw after I wildcard?

No. In either scenario you will only have 1FT the following week.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,670 ✭✭✭dr.kenneth noisewater

Just looking for confirmation on this, if I WC on the Wednesday/Thursday before GW33, can I still make free transfers on Friday/Saturday as part of that WC or will I lose points?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 11,271 ✭✭✭✭FHFC

Why are you assuming that the person that plays a bb in a sgw only has 7 dgw players. It comes down to your bench one week against all other weeks. Spurs and Leicester don't have the most favourable fixtures in gw34 the players most likely to be benched. There is nothing stopping a person wildcarding in 33 playing 11 dgw in 34 and bb in another gw. Or considering we have had strong front 8 most of the season there was plenty of other times BB on paper could have been utilised for 4 sub players with fixtures as good as what your bench will face in 34.

Yeah sorry if I'm not explaining that well.

Of course there is nothing stopping somebody playing 11 DGW players in GW34 without bench boosting. But would they? Would they be wise to? Kane is surely fixture proof at this stage in one of the few premium teams with something solid to play for. I benched Mahrez away to Man City and look where that got me!

What I'm trying to say is that without bench boost I think most would think long and hard about playing more that maybe 7 or 8 DGW players in their 11 at the expense of Kane, Mahrez etc. Its clear that even with BB many are considering keeping and playing 3, 4 or even more SGW players from Spurs, Leicester etc.

In past seasons we'd never ever have considered going with 11 Doubles if it meant benching Aguero, Sanchez, whoever it was that only has a SGW.

So my point is that BB allows you to have a wider net full of DGW players without taking a big risk and benching Kane or Mahrez. The number of 7 was just an example, maybe its 8, maybe its 9. But I think its more complex than just one bench against another.

Just like you rightly point out that people BBing in a DGW forget that the SGW BB guy got a 4 player boost too, I think you are overlooking the knock on implication of how many more DGW players the DGW BB guy can (with less risk) have over the SGW BB guy.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,262 ✭✭✭iroced

Why are you assuming that the person that plays a bb in a sgw only has 7 dgw players.
    Because most (if not all ?) players who did/do consider a SGW BB didn't/won't plan a pre DGW BB WC.
    Spurs and Leicester don't have the most favourable fixtures in gw34 the players most likely to be benched.
    Yes and that's the only good news for late WCers in the sense that a 14DGWers team is possible. My only exception is Mahrez (for his consistency and the amount of money most have tied on him). Kane/Vardy/Alder/Leicester def can be bought back for GW35 easily. For maximum a -8 but 2 of those could well be enough for free.
    There is nothing stopping a person wildcarding in 33 playing 11 dgw in 34 and bb in another gw.
    The problem with that tactic is that you'll have to carry a strong 15 from GW33 to 37. With Leicester & Spurs fighting for the title and having no DGWs , you'd want to own a few of their players in between (in 37 they respectively host Everton & Saints, fixtures that could go either way depending how much the latter teams care about these very games), so less BB DGWers.
    Or considering we have had strong front 8 most of the season there was plenty of other times BB on paper could have been utilised for 4 sub players with fixtures as good as what your bench will face in 34.
    Admittedly but you never owned a strong 15 which should be the aim for every single late WCer. If injury/rotation do not throw a spanner in the works, late WCers should come to GW35 with 2 FT so easy enough to accomodate for a strong GW35 line-up.

iroced wrote: »
    Because most (if not all ?) players who did/do consider a SGW BB didn't/won't plan a pre DGW BB WC.

This too. But as i said i don't think they're likely to even if they had meticulously planned to have 11 in their squad.

In past seasons we'd never ever have considered going with 11 Doubles if it meant benching Aguero, Sanchez, whoever it was that only has a SGW.
    You know what? You've just shown how peacefully minded we, WCers, should all be come this monster DGW because the 2 most explosive (*) FPL players over the last couple of seasons (and including this one! Let's not be completely amnesiac over recent successive disappointments), Agüero & Sanchez will feature and have something to play for in this DGW!

Agüero because City will want to secure a CL spot (how disastrously pathetic it would be not to make it with Guardiola arrival) and WH (and maybe United despite all the mess Mourinho's poisoning around its childish wishes) are still pushing.
    Sanchez because Arsenal may still hope for a now unexpected upset finish to claim the title. After all they're potentially 3 pts behind Spurs and 8 behind Leicester with 7 games to go. Didn't City make up 8 pts in 8 games under Mancini to claim their first title for like 50 years from United hands? Anyway Arsenal only have this to play for. They somehow have to go for it. It certainly won't work but if there's the tiniest of chance they have to go for it.

Will Leicester never "collapse" under the pressure? 4 1-0 wins out of their last 5 games. A sign that they'll make it? Or a sign of nervousness? Again I'm gonna compare with my beloved Montpellier team. You can't imagine how unbearable our situation become when we realised we were making it in the last 2-3 months of the season! And I'm sure Leicester are the same. How unexpected will their title be if they actually manage it? The most one in the entire british championship history? Certainly the most in the PL history anyway.

(*) Among the popular non DGWers, there's only 3, and recent GWs tend to reduce it to 2 candidates: Mahrez & Kane. 3rd one being Vardy. So, a 13 DGWer team is perfectly feasible.

• Registered Users Posts: 48,186 ✭✭✭✭km79

You know what? You've just shown how peacefully minded we, WCers, should all be come this monster DGW because the 2 most explosive (*) FPL players over the last couple of seasons (and including this one! Let's not be completely amnesiac over recent successive disappointments), Agüero & Sanchez will feature and have something to play for in this DGW!

Agüero because City will want to secure a CL spot (how disastrously pathetic it would be not to make it with Guardiola arrival) and WH (and maybe United despite all the mess Mourinho's poisoning around its childish wishes) are still pushing.
    Sanchez because Arsenal may still hope for a now unexpected upset finish to claim the title. After all they're potentially 3 pts behind Spurs and 8 behind Leicester with 7 games to go. Didn't City make up 8 pts in 8 games under Mancini to claim their first title for like 50 years from United hands? Anyway Arsenal only have this to play for. They somehow have to go for it. It certainly won't work but if there's the tiniest of chance they have to go for it.

Will Leicester never "collapse" under the pressure? 4 1-0 wins out of their last 5 games. A sign that they'll make it? Or a sign of nervousness? Again I'm gonna compare with my beloved Montpellier team. You can't imagine how unbearable our situation become when we realised we were making it in the last 2-3 months of the season! And I'm sure Leicester are the same. How unexpected will their title be if they actually manage it? The most one in the entire british championship history? Certainly the most in the PL history anyway.

(*) Among the popular non DGWers, there's only 3, and recent GWs tend to reduce it to 2 candidates: Mahrez & Kane. 3rd one being Vardy. So, a 13 DGWer team is perfectly feasible.
    I am 100% getting Sanchez back in now
    Can't believe I'm going back
    But as you said himself and Aguero have the potential to explode
    And the guy top is now 17 clear and has sold Aguero and has Ozil
    Time to go for it
    Sanchez TC is vey likely too

• Advertisement

km79 wrote: »
    Sanchez TC is vey likely too
    I mentioned this a while ago when we just knew what his potential DGW34 could be and I was surprised by the almost complete absence of, even the slightliest consideration, for this. I know Sanchez was/is not exactly having a great FPL season but he did show in Autumn he's capable of 46 pts in 3 games. Depending on the next 2 games, both Palace & WB could be very close to safety come this DGW so have the relief "decompression" of being almost safe after battling out for it. In FPL terms this is called the best potential prey for an hungry Sanchez. Now, I acknowledge there's a part of wishful thinking in this but this is my only hesitation from playing BB in GW34.

• Registered Users Posts: 850 ✭✭✭lougal88

Quote:
    Originally Posted by Cypher_sounds viewpost.gif Quick question, if I have 2ft's going into gw33 and I wildard do those 2 transfers carry over?

Benimar wrote: »
    No. In either scenario you will only have 1FT the following week.

Can somebody confirm this is correct?
    I have my WC active now, but I had 1FT going into this week.
    I assumed I would have 2 FTs next GW as I didn't technically use it this week??

• Registered Users Posts: 20,352 ✭✭✭✭Rikand

Just looking for confirmation on this, if I WC on the Wednesday/Thursday before GW33, can I still make free transfers on Friday/Saturday as part of that WC or will I lose points?

Wildcard is for the entire gameweek

lougal88 wrote: »
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Cypher_sounds viewpost.gif Quick question, if I have 2ft's going into gw33 and I wildard do those 2 transfers carry over?

When you use your WC then no transfers carry so you will have 1FT next week

Lads, seriously it's been asked zillion times. http://fantasy.premierleague.com/rules/.

But yes this is correct. You play your WC = you lose your FT.
    And whenever you play your WC in a given GW it wipes out all your GW transfers for the given GW.

Yeah sorry if I'm not explaining that well.

Of course there is nothing stopping somebody playing 11 DGW players in GW34 without bench boosting. But would they? Would they be wise to? Kane is surely fixture proof at this stage in one of the few premium teams with something solid to play for. I benched Mahrez away to Man City and look where that got me!

What I'm trying to say is that without bench boost I think most would think long and hard about playing more that maybe 7 or 8 DGW players in their 11 at the expense of Kane, Mahrez etc. Its clear that even with BB many are considering keeping and playing 3, 4 or even more SGW players from Spurs, Leicester etc.

So my point is that BB allows you to have a wider net full of DGW players without taking a big risk and benching Kane or Mahrez. The number of 7 was just an example, maybe its 8, maybe its 9. But I think its more complex than just one bench against another.

Just like you rightly point out that people BBing in a DGW forget that the SGW BB guy got a 4 player boost too, I think you are overlooking the knock on implication of how many more DGW players the DGW BB guy can (with less risk) have over the SGW BB guy.

Was kane fixture proof 2 gws ago.What happens if he blanks the next two gws. Things change in this game constantly. Every week on these threads players go from.essential to I can't sell quick enough or vice versa in the space of 5 -10 mins. Ill be TC in gw34 but would have no problem benching SGW players. I've had numerous weeks where my bench has been really strong it's just the way it goes. Looking at gw 36 fixtures and the squad I'm likely to have it makes as much sense for me to BB in 36 as it does in 34. Even more so when I can TC on Sanchez in 34 rather than BB. My argument is more for future seasons the BB can be used whenever you have at least 3 bench players with good fixtures. We are where we are now so of course for most BB in 34 is the logical outcome. People held the chip thinking about a 15dgw option when in reality it's not an option. There is no point comparing your situation with some randomer that BB in a sgw you need to compare with your own situation for the 2 options.

Lads, seriously it's been asked zillion times. http://fantasy.premierleague.com/rules/.

But yes this is correct. You play your WC = you lose your FT.
    And whenever you play your WC in a given GW it wipes out all your GW transfers for the given GW.

Right well I read the rules this morning and I didn't find that verbiage anywhere. Here's what I read:

"If you do not use your free transfer, you are able to make an additional free transfer the following Gameweek. If you do not use this saved free transfer in the following Gameweek, it will be carried over until you do. You can never have more than 1 saved transfer.

The Wildcard chip can be used twice a season, once in the first half of the season (before 28 Dec 14:00) and once in the second half of the season. The Wildcard chip is played when confirming transfers that cost points and can't be cancelled once played."

Where does it say about losing the FT?

Right well I read the rules this morning and I didn't find that verbiage anywhere. Here's what I read:

"If you do not use your free transfer, you are able to make an additional free transfer the following Gameweek. If you do not use this saved free transfer in the following Gameweek, it will be carried over until you do. You can never have more than 1 saved transfer.

The Wildcard chip can be used twice a season, once in the first half of the season (before 28 Dec 14:00) and once in the second half of the season. The Wildcard chip is played when confirming transfers that cost points and can't be cancelled once played."

Where does it say about losing the FT?

It says it under the WC section
    What happens to my saved transfer when I use my wildcard?

When playing a wildcard, any saved free transfers will be lost. You will be back to the usual 1 free transfer the following Gameweek.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,307 ✭✭✭DarraghF197

3 premium Arsenal players plus Kane/Lukaku/Aguero potentially up front with double United defence looks impossible to finance. Going to have to downgrade one of those forwards and might take a chance on a Man Utd defender other than Smalling.

Anyone daring to take Mahrez out of their team? I think Alli is even more important than him - and cheaper.

Was kane fixture proof 2 gws ago.What happens if he blanks the next two gws. Things change in this game constantly. Every week on these threads players go from.essential to I can't sell quick enough or vice versa in the space of 5 -10 mins. Ill be TC in gw34 but would have no problem benching SGW players. I've had numerous weeks where my bench has been really strong it's just the way it goes. Looking at gw 36 fixtures and the squad I'm likely to have it makes as much sense for me to BB in 36 as it does in 34. Even more so when I can TC on Sanchez in 34 rather than BB. My argument is more for future seasons the BB can be used whenever you have at least 3 bench players with good fixtures. We are where we are now so of course for most BB in 34 is the logical outcome. People held the chip thinking about a 15dgw option when in reality it's not an option. There is no point comparing your situation with some randomer that BB in a sgw you need to compare with your own situation for the 2 options.

Granted fixture proof is a state of mind, but Kane is the Premier league top scorer in a team chasing the title away to the team in 8th with little to play for but the dreaded Europa league spot. His shooting stats are phenomenal 63% of 100 shots on target, the next highest shots in the top scorers list is 79. (http://www.bbc.com/sport/football/premier-league/top-scorers) In any other season, would you bench that guy for a DGW player? Mahrez is Mahrez, I know all about benching him! Taking ownership into account all the work getting 11 DGW players out could be wiped out or overtaken by benching lads like this.

This is not a criticism of your own plan by any means, I know well by now to listen when you come up with some notion or other! But I think as a general discussion on this there is still a lot of pluses and probably a general higher probability of BB working spectacularly (as usual how it actually works out is largely down to luck) by playing in the DGW. My main argument with you is on the maths of it, i.e. that its not as simple as 4 extra players vs 4 extra players and I still think for most managers, and I mean serious managers who have planned it, the BB DGW34 or not, is a choice between 11 or 12 DGW players plus the SGW players, or 7 or 8 DGW players plus the SGWs so there will in most cases be an added numerical advantage even if you have less than 12 DGWers on the BB.

I fully agree that the BB has been built up to an unrealistic level, and long ago agreed that the 15 DGW team was a nonsense. And I agree BB could be played successfully in a SGW where your players have good fixtures. However as Iroced pointed out that needs a (relatively) strong 15, and as you're unlikely to have that until late in the season I think BB will always be better held till later on, and then the advantage of playing in at DGW can be assessed too.

The downside of it all for you is that I'll still be wildcarding in GW33 when we meet in the Galway Elite cup! :D

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 9,389 ✭✭✭Shedite27

My argument is more for future seasons the BB can be used whenever you have at least 3 bench players with good fixtures. We are where we are now so of course for most BB in 34 is the logical outcome. People held the chip thinking about a 15dgw option when in reality it's not an option. There is no point comparing your situation with some randomer that BB in a sgw you need to compare with your own situation for the 2 options.
    Yeah I agree.

This season will be a test case tho, if this season a 13/15DGW squad explodes I'd expect it to be the norm in future years.

WC is active, a week earlier than I planned but injuries to Hart and the transfer fail of Firmino has forced my hand a bit.

Current team - set up with DGWs in mind:

Mignolet(Robles)
    Bellerin Reid Smalling (Simpson Flanagan)
    Sanchez Coutinho Payet Mahrez (Alli)
    Aguero Kane Lukaku

Will keep Kane (Possibly change for Rashford/Martial in 34 with FT)

Have 9 for GW35 (10 if Lukaku plays Palace)
    Could get a player in to make 11, but would rather hold for DGW37.

Have 8 DGWers for 37 currently. With the remaining 4 FTs I will get in another 4 to make 12.

Thinking Bellerin - Azpi
    Sanchez - Willian
    Aguero - Sturridge/Costa
    Alli - Lingard

Any thoughts/opinions?
    Going a bit mad on DGWs maybe but I have a lot of chasing to do!

• Registered Users Posts: 6,830 ✭✭✭Cookie_Dough

With Firmino's injury now are people dumping him from their DWG plans or is he expected back? Thinking of dumping him but unsure

• Registered Users Posts: 8,747 ✭✭✭Ziegler1988

3 premium Arsenal players plus Kane/Lukaku/Aguero potentially up front with double United defence looks impossible to finance. Going to have to downgrade one of those forwards and might take a chance on a Man Utd defender other than Smalling.

Anyone daring to take Mahrez out of their team? I think Alli is even more important than him - and cheaper.

I'm probably going to keep ignoring Ozil and go Bellerin-Kos-Sanchez for Arsenal.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,192 ✭✭✭Colking

I had been planning on WC 36 but injuries to Kompany and Firmino and Silva /Man City being so poor in general have me rethinking that Strategy and I might even look at WC now.

Am toying with this:

Mignolet Robles
    Clyne Bellerín Collins Jagielka Smalling
    Alli Sánchez Payet Firmino Mahrez
    Kane Agüero Lukaku

Bold = DGW 34 and 37
    Underlined = DGW 34

I'm considering holding Alli, Mahrez and Kane till the bitter end. I think Collins and Firmino might be good by 34.

It gives me decent flexibility (injuries permitting) for both of the DGW the skinny 35 and a bit of leeway to tinker with the team for the run in.

Any thoughts/improvements/suggestions ?

I have no Man Utd attack but with the circus going on over there with Van Gaal and Mourinho and his penchant for rotation who would you bet on ?

• Registered Users Posts: 9,389 ✭✭✭Shedite27

Colking wrote: »
    Mignolet Robles
    Kane Agüero Lukaku

I'm considering holding Alli, Mahrez and Kane till the bitter end. I think Collins and Firmino might be good by 34.
    What's your plan for GW35? You've only 8 outfielders with a fixture. You transferring in players and then out again?

• Registered Users Posts: 48,186 ✭✭✭✭km79

Colking wrote: »
    I had been planning on WC 36 but injuries to Kompany and Firmino and Silva /Man City being so poor in general have me rethinking that Strategy and I might even look at WC now.

Am toying with this:

Mignolet Robles
    Kane Agüero Lukaku

Bold = DGW 34 and 37
    Underlined = DGW 34

It gives me decent flexibility (injuries permitting) for both of the DGW the skinny 35 and a bit of leeway to tinker with the team for the run in.

Any thoughts/improvements/suggestions ?

I have no Man Utd attack but with the circus going on over there with Van Gaal and Mourinho and his penchant for rotation who would you bet on ?

Everton are absolute poison at the back
    no way I'd double up DGWs or not

The downside of it all for you is that I'll still be wildcarding in GW33 when we meet in the Galway Elite cup! :D
    Did I mention that Ill be bench boosting in gw33;)

Did I mention that Ill be bench boosting in gw33;)

Now that would be one way to settle this debate! :D

• Advertisement

km79 wrote: »
    Everton are absolute poison at the back
    no way I'd double up DGWs or not

Yeah, if going for Everton defence I'd want a decent attacking threat, and that means either Coleman or Fune Mori IMO. Wouldn't go near Robles.

Advertisement