Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

New England Patriots Thread Mod Warning Post #253

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 37,626 ✭✭✭✭eagle eye

Remember Matt Cassel in '08. He went 11-5, got a nice contract with the Chiefs after being traded there in '09.

I've a feeling Josh will go with Bill though.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,990 ✭✭✭AbusesToilets

I'd rather a clean break from the past. I don't know that EP system works without Brady, it demands too much from QBs who don't have the processing ability

What QBs did it not work with besides Cam Newton? Worked with Cassel, worked with Jimmy G, Jones looked very good in his rookie season.

No other team in the league runs it afaik, not to mention few colleges do so. Might make more sense to run a different scheme to better support a rookie QB.

But it worked with players starting for the first time, two rookies and a fourth year guy who'd never started before.

Why dump something that's proven to be successful?

Anyway as I said above I think it's a lot more likely that Josh goes wherever Bill does. The Falcons would be a great spot for him. It'll be a new QB there, you've got Bijon Robinson and a more than capable backup in Algeier. Drake London and Kyle Pitts there with Jonnu as backup. Probably need to improve the receiving corp but they've got the most important part in an elite one

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 21,484 ✭✭✭✭ELM327

I'd welcome him back but would be concerned about the dynamic between him and Mayo as a rookie HC with no OC/DC experience. I always said mcdaniels is a great QB focused OC, and if we still were under Bill I'd welcome him back no questions asked. I agree with your assessment. What he got out of Jimmy G, Mac Jones in year 1, Matt Cassel was nothing short of overachievement.

Alex Van Pelt gets the offensive co-ordinator gig.

I'm a bit nonplussed by that. He was OC in Cleveland last year and he didn't call the plays. He got sacked at the end of the season.

It's hard to know how he'll do but he's not some young guy with the potential to be a whizz kid.

I'm not criticising the hire, I don't know how it'll work out. I'm just not expecting fireworks on offense.

He had Joe Flacco last year who reinvented himself under Van Pelt, Amari Cooper did well under him too as did their tight end Njoku.

I'm wondering if that means we bring in a veteran QB, maybe Flacco, or Mac gets another chance and we draft Harrison?

Seems like Baker is going back to Tampa. I don't think we'd go for Cousins. Perhaps it will be Harrison, and roll with Zappe while we continue to build through the draft, even if next year seems likeky to be a down year for QBs

• Registered Users Posts: 7,706 ✭✭✭Mr. Guappa

Most early mocks I've seen have us taking a QB, either Drake Maye or Jayden Daniels, assuming Caleb Williams goes #1.

wouldnt put much stock in the mock drafts. QB is not the best decision for us, we're at the start of a multi year project.

• Advertisement

Totally agree and Maye and Williams will be 1 and 2.

There are question marks over Daniels. Firstly it was one great season, he didn't look so good before then. Secondly it's not certain his game will transfer well to the NFL.

Personally I think if we stay at 3 we should take Marvin Harrison junior.

I was thinking though that the clueless Blank might be interested in moving up for Daniels. We could get a great deal out of them. Get the no.8 pick, Drake London and maybe Thier second this year and next.

That would give us a top wide receiver, a left tackle high in the draft and there's a couple of really.giid prospects and then two second rounders where there should be plenty if very talented QBs available at 34 and then another second round pick to try and replace one of the free agent defenders we lose. We need to resign Dugger and Onwenu.

If Atlanta were trading, I'd rather Pitts myself. Think he's been quality in a dire team, and top level TEs are harder to find than WRs.

First 2 episodes of the dynasty are decent, certainly better than the Man in the Arena. I'm hoping they might bring in players from other teams to talk about the pats

I couldn't care less about it. The past is behind us, all I care about is the future.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,368 ✭✭✭Shedite27

Watched it last night, it's based on the book The Dynasty that came out a few years back, it's the same stories just with video clips of the events. If you've read the book, there's no new stories so far anyway

• Registered Users Posts: 748 ✭✭✭Irish94

What platform are you guys watching it on?

Lots suggesting we will take Jayden Daniels with the third pick.

I'm not liking our new staff right now, throwing a couple of shots at Belichick. If they draft Daniels at three I'm pretty much on the verge of wanting them fired.

How on earth do you think it's a good idea to draft a QB with an awful offensive line to fix and needing a top wide receiver?

Your QB could be seriously injured, lose his confidence or develop bad habits before things are ready for him to have a chance to perform.

I'm hoping somebody like the Falcons and their idiot owner look to move up. If it's the Falcons you could get London or Pitts and their first round and their second this year and next. If you got London and Alt or Fashanu at 8 then you are in a lot better shape than you were last year.

You can trade back up into the teens in the first with your two second rounders if you wish, I personally wouldn't. If there's a prospect you like at QB in the second then go draft him, if not then an offensive guard and a replacement for one of the defenders we lose in FA would be good.

I'm assuming here that we re-sign Dugger and Onwenu.

Another thing that's annoying me for the last while is mediots saying nobody wanted Belichick. While that may be the case there is also the possibility that Bill didn't want any of the jobs that were open but nobody has even opined that it might be the case. It's quite clear that Blank wanted him and it was after his second meeting with BB that he quickly hired Morris. I'm thinking he signed Morris that quickly to avoid the embarrassment of being rejected by a coach becoming a headline. Thing is, if it was the case, nobody was ever going to hear about it from Bill.

Again I'm only surmising here but I couldn't imagine Bill working for an idiot like Blank.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,131 ✭✭✭el Fenomeno

Kraft has irrevocably tarnished himself in a lot of fans eyes, my own included, with this The Dynasty bollox.

The most blatant Kraft puff piece and Belichick hit job you'll ever see. The more recent episodes - particularly the Hernandez one - leave a very bad taste.

• Advertisement

Just a little nugget about the third pick in the draft. Three quarterbacks have been taken at three in the last ten years, they are Blake Bortles, Sam Darnold and Trey Lance.

Hard to say tbh. Bill should carry a fair of the blame for how Hernandez was handled.

Disappointed that Evans resigned with Tampa. Was hoping we could've grabbed him.

Thats a lot of draft capital wasted. Lets hope we don't do the same. It's a boring pick but I'm seeing more and more mocks sending Joe Alt to NE and I'd prefer that x100 over any QB in this draft.

I'd actually prefer if we traded back, but our trade back guru was fired!

Well Blank is an idiot and I can see him offering us a lot to get the Falcons to no.3 to take a QB. I think we'd get Alt at 8 or Fashanu. I'd be happy with either.

Baker resigning with the Bucs makes calculations a bit different. I'm still pro signing MHJ at 3 if he's there, over taking a middling QB, but that's likely commiting us to at least another 2 years of being average to poor and hoping to be in a position to draft a good QB

Would you take Wilson, if he offered to sign for a vet minimum deal? I've never been a fan of his personality, but he was an elite QB for a long time. Last season is a hard one to judge, he was playing decently before the Broncos benched him for contract reasons.

I think he might be done. He's had a long career and I think the last few years in Seattle and Denver with a poor offensive line has taken its toll.

On a one year vet minimum deal it'd probably be no harm to bring him in as a backup. He's a good guy and he'd definitely be a great mentor to a rookie or even Mac if he got another shot.

A shorter version of the version of Cam we had a couple of years ago. He does nothing to bring the team forward. As a mentor for a rookie, sure, but I'm hoping we don't have a rookie QB! I see us entering training camp with Zappe, a round 3-4 QB, and a veteran or two. Russel could be one of them

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,870 ✭✭✭Christy42

Russ played pretty solidly last year. Not close to his price tag.

He can also be a mentor to the rest of the offense. He knows what a Qb wants from receivers, from the O line.

Plus with a new coach a veteran qb might be helpful.

Advertisement