Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

General MMA Chat/News mk2

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 6,582 ✭✭✭Swashbuckler

jimmii wrote: »
    Anyone see Michael Pages toe hold win last night? He looks legit four first round finishes in a row now and has some serious swagger!

Great finish. Didnt like the way he was goading the other lad at the end.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 5,402 ✭✭✭Tinie

Great finish. Didnt like the way he was goading the other lad at the end.

Was it not because he was borderline throwing up kicks into his face during the submission?

• Registered Users Posts: 6,582 ✭✭✭Swashbuckler

Tinie wrote: »
    Was it not because he was borderline throwing up kicks into his face during the submission?

Correct me if I'm wrong but isn't that allowed as long as the opponent isnt "downed"?

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 5,402 ✭✭✭Tinie

Correct me if I'm wrong but isn't that allowed as long as the opponent isnt "downed"?

Hmm maybe your right, but if I recall, MVP had one knee down, making the kicks illegal, but I could be wrong.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,810 ✭✭✭✭jimmii

Tinie wrote: »

That's what I thought too don't think he liked it.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 14,462 ✭✭✭✭callaway92

Anyone see Michael Pages toe hold win last night? He looks legit four first round finishes in a row now and has some serious swagger!

He has fought the absolute lower beam of fighters so far. Most protected fighter in MMA.

Next fight vs Khoreshlov should say a lot more.

He's obviously v. good, but still.

callaway92 wrote: »
    He has fought the absolute lower beam of fighters so far. Most protected fighter in MMA.

Next fight vs Khoreshlov should say a lot more.

He's obviously v. good, but still.

You can only beat what they put in front of you in fairness. There does become a point where he has to start looking for real tests though.

• Registered Users Posts: 28,710 ✭✭✭✭Paully D

The way the flyweight division is now after Mighty Mouse running through another opponent, if Seery can spring a surprise win over Horiguchi he may actually get a title shot presuming the UFC think better of their ridiculous TUF plan. :eek:

• Registered Users Posts: 39,168 ✭✭✭✭Mellor

Didn't rate it much at all. His opponent ran straight at him at the bell, with hands down, I don't think he had a plan for what happened when he got there. Ran straight into a right hook.

https://twitter.com/BellatorMMA/status/723670023315853314

His sub defensive was similarly awol. Just let Page play footies until he tapped

• Registered Users Posts: 471 ✭✭OrgasmicBaz

What is gone wrong with Pettis in the last 18 months or so??? He has now lost three on the bounce albeit to top fighters, but if he was to lose the next one they might tell him to take some time away from UFC

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,440 ✭✭✭califano

What is gone wrong with Pettis in the last 18 months or so??? He has now lost three on the bounce albeit to top fighters, but if he was to lose the next one they might tell him to take some time away from UFC

Off the vitamins imo

• Registered Users Posts: 7,733 ✭✭✭ASOT

Massive shock but Paddy Holohan has retired due to a medical condition he had rendering him unable to pass a medical.

Paddy Holohan
    8 mins ·
    I've known this announcement was coming for a week or more now and it has only felt worse the more I have thought about it.

I am forced to retire from MMA.

I was born with a factor missing in my blood called Factor XIII. I never disclosed it then or now, it came the UFC attention from a third party and I can no longer pass the medical requirements to compete, only 1 in 5 million people are diagnosed so I knew that it was so rare, organisations wouldn't understand or take the chance with me as I have found out now, I never explained in full to John or my team the actual risks cause I didn't think there was excess risk .

It is a disorder that is only dangerous for me not my opponents.

I really did see MMA as the way to have a real shot at life for myself and my family and it turns out I was right.

I have mixed emotions about it:

• Proud because I always wore my heart on my sleeve, stood my ground, never cheated, never turned away from diversity or challenges and always strived to inspire and encourage people from all backgrounds.

• Sad because I will never make that walk again, under those lights, feeling all those uncomfortable yet life giving feelings as they count and you hear "walk walk walk" staring into a camera, knowing millions are watching but most importantly the Irish are watching.

I am also disappointed because people who have cheated within the sport due to PEDs etc putting their opponents in extra danger will fight again, whereas for me it's a genetic 1 in 5 million disorder that stops me dead in my tracks.

I really feel I was only turning the corner in my fight career and I still have so much more to give!

Thanks to all of my team over the past 9 years at SBG. My coach John who backed me regardless when I had nothing but effort to offer him in payment, it's been an incredible journey for this council kid!

To all the Irish people and people of my home town of Tallaght who have always caught my falls and helped me back to my feet, I am forever grateful to those people who have backed me through thick and thin.

This journey has made me the man I am today.

Paddy "The Hooligan" Holohan.

Edit - Deserves his own thread.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,539 ✭✭✭John_D80

ASOT wrote: »
    Massive shock but Paddy Holohan has retired due to a medical condition he had rendering him unable to pass a medical.

Paddy Holohan
    8 mins ·

Just saw this on FB!!! Shocked doesn't even begin to describe my feelings right now.

Best of luck to him in the future. Great guy and great ambasador for the sport in this country.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,197 ✭✭✭maximoose

Crazy news, never heard of Factor XIII before but it doesn't exactly sound like something you'd want to be fighting for a living with.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,250 ✭✭✭✭DrPhilG

A pleasure to see him fight. The atmosphere at his walkout for the first fight in Dublin at Fight Night 46 was legendary.

• Registered Users Posts: 712 ✭✭✭Mean Laqueefa

• Registered Users Posts: 29,625 ✭✭✭✭Zero-Cool

• Registered Users Posts: 39,168 ✭✭✭✭Mellor

I think its not bad tbh. The black w/green is like McGregors 194 Vale Tudo's.
    The yellow one are Anderson Silva-esque.

The more options they have for style of shorts, colour, and custom logos. They further they are from the problems.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,850 ✭✭✭Depp

Mellor wrote: »
    I think its not bad tbh. The black w/green is like McGregors 194 Vale Tudo's.
    The yellow one are Anderson Silva-esque.

The more options they have for style of shorts, colour, and custom logos. They further they are from the problems.

I like them! other than the lack of variety and colour Ive liked them from the start

• Registered Users Posts: 12,250 ✭✭✭✭DrPhilG

Big improvement, still not perfect but better.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 9,197 ✭✭✭maximoose

Everything from MacDonald over looks pretty great IMO, the fightkit designs were never that bad but the lack of variation was a terrible idea. A bit of colour does wonders.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,902 ✭✭✭MagicIRL

The colour is perfect in the uniforms. I disagree entirely with how fighters are paid, but when it came to fight attire, my only complaint was the use of Black & White competing against White & Black was just stupid.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,533 ✭✭✭✭Mr. CooL ICE

Gunni, Artem and Peter Queally sat at the table next to me in Nando's this evening. Hadn't the nerve to ask them for a picture :o

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,683 ✭✭✭Subcomandante Marcos

Gunni, Artem and Peter Queally sat at the table next to me in Nando's this evening. Hadn't the nerve to ask them for a picture :o

You should have, they're all sound as feck.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,767 ✭✭✭✭Dtp1979

Fcuk sake what's Gunni doing eating nandos this close to a fight?

They were probably like holy crap is that Nicolas Cage?

• Registered Users Posts: 4,850 ✭✭✭Depp

Dtp1979 wrote: »

he should be in the gym them sbg fellas are all the same no focus

• Registered Users Posts: 29,625 ✭✭✭✭Zero-Cool

Jon Jones facing possible 6 month suspension pending a foot xray. I'd say Dana was already praying that DC would check out for 200, this makes it even dodgier.

Anyway, looks like an actual main event will be announced tomorrow for 200.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,533 ✭✭✭✭Mr. CooL ICE

Dtp1979 wrote: »

Had a look and it looked like it was chicken and salad. Queally was eating something that looked like burned mushrooms and I didn't get a look at what Artem's plate for fear of waking up on the floor.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 12,767 ✭✭✭✭Dtp1979

Had a look and it looked like it was chicken and salad. Queally was eating something that looked like burned mushrooms and I didn't get a look at what Artem's plate for fear of waking up on the floor.

Yea yea chicken salad..... All means shjt until you know what dressing it came wit

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement