Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

General MMA Chat/News mk2

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,378 ✭✭✭Gamb!t

Fromvert wrote: »
    He's sick at the thought of having to fight any of the top 5

Even though I thought Bisping could take him he never was going to defend it if he won.
    Looks like he did a Con Mac on it.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,744 ✭✭✭raze_them_all_

He said it pretty much in the ring he was too heavy, he was too small, it was obvious he was going to drop down, but it puts him in for a title shot at 170 now

• Registered Users Posts: 2,293 ✭✭✭billybonkers

Woodley will be laughing!

• Registered Users Posts: 21,341 ✭✭✭✭martyos121

Bisping came out with this the week before he fought GSP and it sounds like he’s spot on:
    “He ain’t going to fight Whittaker. It doesn’t matter if it’s in the contract or not. I believe it is in the contract. But, all he’s got to do is say, ‘I don’t fancy that. If you want me to fight again and sell a lot of pay-per-views, it’s got to be someone else.’

“And the UFC would fold. I would imagine.

“He wants to beat me and go down and beat Tyron, then beat McGregor and then retire. He wants to beat all three and the UFC probably wants that to happen.“

• Registered Users Posts: 3,126 ✭✭✭dashoonage

Woodley is gonna wreck that plan.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,960 ✭✭✭Autecher

I just read this interview with Gunnar Nelson talking about letting his brain heal up after the Ponziinibbio fight. Very smart thinking and I wish more fighters would have this mindset.
    http://www.espn.com/mma/story/_/id/21700100/gunnar-nelson-discusses-brain-safety-next-opponent

• Registered Users Posts: 28,710 ✭✭✭✭Paully D

I see Joanna is throwing her nutrition team under a bus, despite praising them to the hilt at any given opportunity previous to her loss to Rose:

https://www.mmafighting.com/2017/12/8/16753630/joanna-jedrzejczyk-says-shes-leaving-nutrition-team-after-unforgivable-weight-cut-mistakes-ufc-217

• Registered Users Posts: 1,378 ✭✭✭Gamb!t

Not sure how long he will be out for but looks like we wont see Tony Ferguson for a while,just had elbow surgery.

https://www.bloodyelbow.com/2017/12/8/16749832/ufc-tony-ferguson-elbow-surgery-return-indefinite-lightweight-mma-news

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,464 ✭✭✭Ultimate Seduction

Gamb!t wrote: »
    Not sure how long he will be out for but looks like we wont see Tony Ferguson for a while,just had elbow surgery.

https://www.bloodyelbow.com/2017/12/8/16749832/ufc-tony-ferguson-elbow-surgery-return-indefinite-lightweight-mma-news

Bitch is running scared of McGregor

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11,348 ✭✭✭✭ricero

Good news for khabib if he beats barboza although i think mcgregor fears that fight

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 11,611 ✭✭✭✭ERG89

Fromvert wrote: »
    He's sick at the thought of having to fight any of the top 5

Even though I thought Bisping could take him he never was going to defend it if he won.

Must have caught that in the Bisping fight :pac:
    He was never going to defend it as he was carrying far too much mass to ever be effective. If he didn't fail a drugs test I could imagine UFC doing GSP vs Silva though.

Paully D wrote: »
    I see Joanna is throwing her nutrition team under a bus, despite praising them to the hilt at any given opportunity previous to her loss to Rose:

https://www.mmafighting.com/2017/12/8/16753630/joanna-jedrzejczyk-says-shes-leaving-nutrition-team-after-unforgivable-weight-cut-mistakes-ufc-217
    The same team Ray Borg blamed on missing the DJ fight the first time aswell. TJ Dillashaw is also a client of theirs so if and when he doesn't make 125 his fight with DJ he will probably blame them aswell. And when Tony Ferguson inevitably eventually misses weight he may blame them too!

A fighter has been fined $1000 which is 10% of his fight purse for pushing another fighter at the faceoffs for tonight's Fresno card by the CSAC. I think that's ridiculous it is California after all. Video in link.
    https://www.mmafighting.com/2017/12/9/16755304/csac-fines-benito-lopez-1000-for-ufc-fresno-weigh-in-shove-of-albert-morales

• Registered Users Posts: 9,405 ✭✭✭Lukker-

cliggg wrote: »
    The same team Ray Borg blamed on missing the DJ fight the first time aswell. TJ Dillashaw is also a client of theirs so if and when he doesn't make 125 his fight with DJ he will probably blame them aswell. And when Tony Ferguson inevitably eventually misses weight he may blame them too!

They probably deserve the flak. Look at the founders page: https://perfectingathletes.com/founders/

One of them lists Traditional Chinese Medicine for reproductive system health as a qualification.

I just don't get fighters attraction to all these snake oil salesman. Every embedded you see a fighter do some weird wacky **** to 'optimise' their performance. Whether it was Cody inflating balloons up his nose, or any other bro science they participate in.

I guess actual real life qualified dietician's won't really help a fighter cut weight, because it could be considered malpractice, so they get stuck with 'nutritionists'.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,683 ✭✭✭Subcomandante Marcos

Lukker- wrote: »
    They probably deserve the flak. Look at the founders page: https://perfectingathletes.com/founders/

One of them lists Traditional Chinese Medicine for reproductive system health as a qualification.

I just don't get fighters attraction to all these snake oil salesman. Every embedded you see a fighter do some weird wacky **** to 'optimise' their performance. Whether it was Cody inflating balloons up his nose, or any other bro science they participate in.

I guess actual real life qualified dietician's won't really help a fighter cut weight, because it could be considered malpractice, so they get stuck with 'nutritionists'.

Read their profiles there, fuppin hell, next level bull**** artists.

There seems to be a lot of snake oil salesmen and bro science spoofers that MMA athletes buy into/

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 18,142 Mod ✭✭✭✭CatFromHue

I think Americans in general are faddish about getting into alternative stuff like that, but then again the truth is out there

• Registered Users Posts: 2,505 ✭✭✭but1er

Darren till signed to MTK... Wonder does he know who he signed for.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,902 ✭✭✭MagicIRL

This is probably the wrong place to ask this but I am always curious as to how would a fighter perform if they spent 100% of their 'training' time actually training.

No weights, no mobility, no conditioning. Just round after round of technique and sparring. I would naively believe the body would adjust with the volume and your natural strength, cardio and mobility would improve from all the technique and positioning you worked on?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,065 ✭✭✭thewheel2.0

MagicIRL wrote: »
    This is probably the wrong place to ask this but I am always curious as to how would a fighter perform if they spent 100% of their 'training' time actually training.

No weights, no mobility, no conditioning. Just round after round of technique and sparring. I would naively believe the body would adjust with the volume and your natural strength, cardio and mobility would improve from all the technique and positioning you worked on?

Often wondered this my self as a gym novice. Love to hear an answer :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,683 ✭✭✭Subcomandante Marcos

It's the Marcelo Garcia approach to BJJ training and I'm not going to tell him he's wrong.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,326 ✭✭✭MartyMcFly84

a sport like MMA isn't well suited for round after round of training. Realistic paced rounds put a lot of strain on the body. You pick up bumps and bruises, strains and knocks.

Many MMA fighters in my gym would spar only once a week or so. But would do lot more training on technique, positional sparring, and suplimenting MMA with other classes like BJJ, Wrestling, Boxing etc.

The best cardio for MMA is to actually spar MMA. However this comes with the negative side of damage taken. If rounds are too light they are not realistic and can actually have a negative effecting on fighters when they fight. On the other side if too heavy you are putting miles long the clock and it shortens careers.

Many supplement with strength and conditioning training as it is not as hard on the body as sparing and helps to top up the gas tank. All the strength and conditioning in the world will not prep you for a fight unless you are doing realistic rounds also. As much as MMA is a mix of styles, conditioning for the sport seems to be a mix bag also.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,405 ✭✭✭Lukker-

MagicIRL wrote: »

Everybody is different. For some doing mobility/physio style work is an absolute must due to previous injuries. I think you'd want to be doing some supplementary cardio too, because you won't really build up the gas tank flow sparring and you can't be hard sparring more than a few times a week.

I think the main benefit of strength and conditioning would be injury prevention, but GSP didn't really start that side of things until well into his UFC career. (after a layoff he came back jacked)

BJJ it would definitely be enough but they are different sports.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,539 ✭✭✭John_D80

but1er wrote: »
    Darren till signed to MTK... Wonder does he know who he signed for.

I’m assuming you’re referring to Daniel Kinihan??

He, and the other original founders were bought out recently and have nothing more to do with MTK, not that they ever had much to do with it in the first place really.

MTK unfortunately though, will spend the next few years trying to shake off the label of being associated with organised crime.

Till or anyone signing with MTK in the future can do so with a clear conscience!!! :-)

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 7,269 ✭✭✭Gamebred

John_D80 wrote: »

He, and the other original founders were bought out recently and have nothing more to do with MTK, not that they ever had much to do with it in the first place really.

Nearly spat my tea out reading this pmsl.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,505 ✭✭✭but1er

John_D80 wrote: »

MTK unfortunately though, will spend the next few years trying to shake off the label of being associated with organised crime.

Till or anyone signing with MTK in the future can do so with a clear conscience!!! :-)

You really think it's still not been used to move money around?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,539 ✭✭✭John_D80

but1er wrote: »
    You really think it's still not been used to move money around?

There was far too much attention on MTK. Anyone that knows the first thing about money laundering will tell you a company’s usability as a filter is finite. Once the heat is on the company they sell up and move everything elsewhere.

The company has actually been losing money the last 2 years. Whatever dirty money was being funneled through there is gone elsewhere now.

But as I said the name and stigma will stick with MTK for a long time yet to come.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,833 ✭✭✭Useful.Idiot

new UFC countdown episodes are good. this weekend is a serious card for a fight night. UFC 219 an arguably weaker card. Love Robbie but would be great to see RDA get through him and get a title shot. Mike Perry is just always entertaining to listen to and Ponzi has some backstory.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,411 ✭✭✭EagererBeaver

I can't ****ing stand Perry. Hope he gets absolutely sparked.

• Registered Users Posts: 28,710 ✭✭✭✭Paully D

I don’t like him either, but I really want to see Till butcher him.

I do think Santiago wins this however.

Perry is writing cheques that his mouth can’t cash and is vastly overrated purely because of the talking he does.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,411 ✭✭✭EagererBeaver

Paully D wrote: »

I don’t like him either, but I really want to see Till butcher him.

I'm not fussed on who gets to do it. If Ponzinibbio wins, Perry cab be cast aside and forgotten about. Make Till Vs Ponzinibbio.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement