Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

General MMA Chat/News mk2

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 9,405 ✭✭✭Lukker-

This is the Conor era where the rankings made by hand picked journalists at the behest of the UFC matter but are secondary to "what sells" in the mind of lots of fans. It's sad to see.

If happened before Conor too. How many fights did it take Lesnar to get a title shot?

They let Anderson Silva defend his title against many cans too.

Conor isn’t responsible for all the ills of the UFC

• Registered Users Posts: 12,461 ✭✭✭✭The Nal

ASOT wrote: »
    Jesus lads who gives a **** about rankings, styles make fights and itll be a cracker.

Its a very solid card.

Agree was only taking the p1ss. Some good fights on there for a Fight Night.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,310 ✭✭✭xtal191

The Nal wrote: »
    Ah come on. Tim Elliott vs Justin Scoggins. #10 ranked flyweight vs #34.

Epic!

Isn't that fight off the card anyway?

callaway92 wrote: »
    Seeing John Makdessi vs Abel Trujillo and Ricardo Lamas vs Josh fúcking Emmet highlighted did make me laugh though

The potential for some awesome violence in the main and co main event is reason enough to call this card epic.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,341 ✭✭✭✭callaway92

The potential for some awesome violence in the main and co main event is reason enough to call this card epic.

Riiiight

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,590 ✭✭✭CurryFlavoured

For a fight night, Dos Anjos Lawler is a pretty outstanding card.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11,348 ✭✭✭✭ricero

By the sounds of it on the mma hour from rockhold i reckon it will be rockhold v whitaker at ufc 221 in Perth this February.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,102 ✭✭✭finglashoop

ricero wrote: »
    By the sounds of it on the mma hour from rockhold i reckon it will be rockhold v whitaker at ufc 221 in Perth this February.

I hope whittaker absolutely annihilates him.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 64 ✭✭Gijoseph

This is the Conor era where the rankings made by hand picked journalists at the behest of the UFC matter but are secondary to "what sells" in the mind of lots of fans. It's sad to see.

Hates conor...

Keeps talking about conor....

• Registered Users Posts: 39,029 ✭✭✭✭Mellor

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 64 ✭✭Gijoseph

Mellor wrote: »

Link not working

Gijoseph wrote: »

Link not working

Works for me :confused:

Oh Jesus hes back

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,960 ✭✭✭Autecher

Ah I say fair play to the guy. He looks very happy there, he is a millionaire, has a very attractive wife & he has many different business things going well for him the last few years. He has no need to sweat it out in a gym day in day out for years to improve himself but he does anyway. It's more than most of us here will ever do...

• Registered Users Posts: 2,649 ✭✭✭Whelo79

Works for me :confused:

Doesn't work for me either. I get a boards error page.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,196 ✭✭✭maximoose

Works fine for me, for those it doesnt:

Eicwqiy.png

cliggg wrote: »
    He has no need to sweat it out in a gym day in day out for years to improve himself but he does anyway. It's more than most of us here will ever do...
    I think you are exaggerating the "day in day out" part. He is training 5 years. And it's been 3 years since he announced he signed to the UFC. Somebody training day in day out m, full time. Should be blue in under a year.

Don't get me wrong. I'm glad he's still plugging away. But the fact he is only a blue belt now highlights how far removed he was (or is) from full time training. Talk of a second fight is laughable.

Meh, I should probably also add (before somebody brings up Mighty Mouse/Jon Jones being white and blue belts).
    There's a chance that Punk is only ranking now because he hasn't been in the gi in 3 years.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,683 ✭✭✭Subcomandante Marcos

I think you are exaggerating the "day in day out" part. He is training 5 years. And it's been 3 years since he announced he signed to the UFC. Somebody training day in day out m, full time. Should be blue in under a year.

Don't get me wrong. I'm glad he's still plugging away. But the fact he is only a blue belt now highlights how far removed he was (or is) from full time training. Talk of a second fight is laughable.

Not really. A lot of ibjjf focused bjj schools don't promote if you don't train to n the gi, until recently enough he didn't train regularly in the gi, same as Jones and others, they did plenty of bjj in training but all no gi stuff. It's entirely possible to train for a decade and Never get a promotion because you're not training for go and your coach has that weird mentality that only gi classes for ibjjf rules count for promotions.

He got his white belt in January 2016 so accounting for his herniated disc, training for his fight, competing in reality TV shows and writing comic books i'd say he must be at it as much as possible anyway. He's obviously dedicated to it. I do believe he will have another UFC fight considering how much money he made them in his first fight, the next one will make them less than that but still more than most other ppv's they do these days.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,872 ✭✭✭cletus

He got his white belt in January 2016 so accounting for his herniated disc, training for his fight, competing in reality TV shows and writing comic books i'd say he must be at it as much as possible anyway. He's obviously dedicated to it. I do believe he will have another UFC fight considering how much money he made them in his first fight, the next one will make them less than that but still more than most other ppv's they do these days.

What do you mean he got his white belt

• Registered Users Posts: 3,126 ✭✭✭dashoonage

https://twitter.com/arielhelwani/status/938456878954303489

I'm also calling it now Tony will have to defend the interim against the khabib/fergson winner before mcnugget fights again.

cletus wrote: »
    What do you mean he got his white belt
    Sorry I meant he went from no Gi to Gi in January 2016 (as far as I know anyway). I don't know why I phrased it that way?! Too busy in work at the time maybe.. :o

dashoonage wrote: »

I'm also calling it now Tony will have to defend the interim against the khabib/fergson winner before mcnugget fights again.

Which would be utterly ridiculous. The #1 contender having to defend his #1 contender spot before he gets a shot at the title. After 10 wins in a row. :rolleyes:

• Registered Users Posts: 1,326 ✭✭✭MartyMcFly84

Jon Jones in is a blue belt. This he was only promoted before his last fight in the UFC

• Registered Users Posts: 2,343 ✭✭✭Porthallian

The Nal wrote: »
    Which would be utterly ridiculous. The #1 contender having to defend his #1 contender spot before he gets a shot at the title. After 10 wins in a row. :rolleyes:

Welcome to the McGregor era

• Registered Users Posts: 9,405 ✭✭✭Lukker-

dashoonage wrote: »

All roads lead to Conor for ya?

It’s more likely GSP wants no part of MW anymore and will go back down to WW/ just take money fights.

The only reason he took Bisping was because it was the easiest fight available

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11,348 ✭✭✭✭ricero

Stipe v ngannou in the final stages of being confirmed for ufc 220 in boston this coming january

Not really. A lot of ibjjf focused bjj schools don't promote if you don't train to n the gi, until recently enough he didn't train regularly in the gi, same as Jones and others, they did plenty of bjj in training but all no gi stuff. It's entirely possible to train for a decade and Never get a promotion because you're not training for go and your coach has that weird mentality that only gi classes for ibjjf rules count for promotions.
    Well, I did follow up with "There's a chance that Punk is only ranking now because he hasn't been in the gi in 3 years". I figure you were already replying when I posted it.

But that said, I'm pretty sure that BJJ at RoufusSports is done in the gi so doesn't apply. His coach mentioned in interviews, that Punk was training in the gi for his fight with mickey gall. He said he was training 3 times a week - assume that was BJJ only.

https://www.instagram.com/p/BIqIXQ2h6hf/
    Sorry I meant he went from no Gi to Gi in January 2016 (as far as I know anyway). I don't know why I phrased it that way?! Too busy in work at the time maybe.. :o
    As far as I know he started in the gi, not the other way around.
    Here he is with Rener in 2012. Obviously he is a novice, but it isn't his first day either. There were other appearances before he announced he had signed with the UFC.

I understand he was still in the WWE at that stage. I'm just pointing out even allowing for injuries/surgeries, it's a long time to get to blue when training as much as he should have been. There's no shame in that, he's nearly 40 afterall - but he needs to resign himself to the fact he's a 40 year old hobbiest.

• Advertisement

Jon Jones in is a blue belt. This he was only promoted before his last fight in the UFC
    :rolleyes:
    Meh, I should probably also add (before somebody brings up Mighty Mouse/Jon Jones being white and blue belts).
    Jones has an extensive wrestling background. Who won national state and national championships. Training pro level MMA for a decade. With virtually no time in the gi.

CM Punk's only relevant martial arts background is BJJ. His pro MMA training included training in the gi.

There's a huge difference there. As Im sure you are aware.
    By the same logic, Khabib and Mighty Mouse are BJJ white belts. And Tony is unranked in the gi...All technically true, but completely ridiculous.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement