Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

General MMA Chat/News mk2

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,960 ✭✭✭Autecher

ricero wrote: »
    Stipe v ngannou in the final stages of being confirmed for ufc 220 in boston this coming january

Confirmed now. Cormier-Oezdemir moved down to co-main event. This will sell more than 219

• Registered Users Posts: 17,965 ✭✭✭✭rob316

Defending interim belts? It really is the era of paper champions.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,126 ✭✭✭dashoonage

rob316 wrote: »
    Defending interim belts? It really is the era of paper champions.

its happened before i think... like pre mcnugget....era at HW i think...

• Registered Users Posts: 9,196 ✭✭✭maximoose

Miocic Ngannou booked for 220 in January

Cormier Oezdemir down to co-main

Oh boy

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11,348 ✭✭✭✭ricero

It would be great if they could reachedule the hunt v werdum fight on the undercard of ufc 220

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,960 ✭✭✭Autecher

It would be great if they could reachedule the hunt v werdum fight on the undercard of ufc 220
    Thta's a cert for the Perth card as co-headline to Whittaker-Rockhold

• Registered Users Posts: 1,378 ✭✭✭Gamb!t

maximoose wrote: »
    Miocic Ngannou booked for 220 in January

Cormier Oezdemir down to co-main

Oh boy
    . I think Miocic's reign as champ will be coming to an end.

Gamb!t wrote: »
    . I think Miocic's reign as champ will be coming to an end.

Dont think its the forgone conclusion most people are prediciting. Stipe is one bad mother****er

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,464 ✭✭✭Ultimate Seduction

Dont think its the forgone conclusion most people are prediciting. Stipe is one bad mother****er

It's as close to a certainty as you can get in MMA. He is going to sleep early

• Registered Users Posts: 1,833 ✭✭✭Useful.Idiot

It's as close to a certainty as you can get in MMA. He is going to sleep early

No it isn't! If anyone can beat Ngannou it's Stipe.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,549 ✭✭✭jcd5971

Double ko

• Registered Users Posts: 1,326 ✭✭✭MartyMcFly84

Many power punchers tend not to have great gas tanks. If Stipe could bring him past the the second round I feel, the odds starting to turn in his favour.

Easier said then done of course , but it will be interesting if he can survive the first two rounds of death.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 7,269 ✭✭✭Gamebred

Stipe hasnt a prayer against that freak of nature, reem had him on queer street Big Fran will decapitate him.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,833 ✭✭✭Useful.Idiot

Lads, as well all know, MMA math is not to be counted upon. Reem was very aggressive and thought he could trade with Ngannou which was a silly game-plan. Stipe has of course a big task ahead of him but if he can wear down Fra against the fence or take him down and pummel him then the gulf in technical skill will then become apparent.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,405 ✭✭✭Lukker-

Stipe has been dropped in his last 2 fights. I don't really think you get the opportunity to recover against someone like N'Gannou. That said technically I think Stipe is the better boxer, so at this weight class it's whoever connects cleanly first.

God knows what condition N'Gannou will be in after another couple of months being experimented on by UFC scientists in the underground lab tho

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 7,269 ✭✭✭Gamebred

Hasnt long, the fight is in 40 odd days, people are presuming Fran cant wrestle or has cardio issues zero evidence of either from what I've seen from him.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,464 ✭✭✭Ultimate Seduction

Lads, as well all know, MMA math is not to be counted upon. Reem was very aggressive and thought he could trade with Ngannou which was a silly game-plan. Stipe has of course a big task ahead of him but if he can wear down Fra against the fence or take him down and pummel him then the gulf in technical skill will then become apparent.

Overeem got him in the cluinch against the fence, ngannu literally just pushed him away. No one in the current roster troubles him

• Registered Users Posts: 29,484 ✭✭✭✭Zero-Cool

Stipe is an absolute beast, I don't think Fran is gonna walk through him (although he very could do) but I do suspect and hope he (Fran) walks away with the gold.

Poor Stipe fighting for a better contract all this time and this is the fight he has to prove his worth.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,795 ✭✭✭dulux99

Stipe is crafty, exeprienced and has a good gas tank. He went 5 rds with JDS when JDS was juiced to the tits and the two of them swung for the fences all night. He's got excellent fundamentals and especially good boxing. Overeem charged at Ngannou like a bull (out of fear I suspect) and over extended especially in the final exchange. I don't think Stipe will make those mistakes. It wasn't that long ago that Curtis Blaydes lasted two full rounds with Ngannou before the ref called it between the 2nd and 3rd.

From the above it sounds like I fancy Stipe - gun to my head I probably still would go with Ngannou. But I certainly don't think he's a certainty. And for the record I stated on here that I thought Ngannou was an absolute cert vs Overeem.

It's a cracker of a fight. Best HW matchup since Cain vs JDS 1.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,405 ✭✭✭Lukker-

So GSP has MW-itis?

Looks like the the doctors orders is to cut weight and go back down to 170. No one really expected him to defend if he won the belt so it's not really a shock.

What was a blatant lie though was Danaher saying he was 190 in the cage vs. Bisping. I mean, that's what he weighed when fighting at WW, his body was totally different and a good deal bigger.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,378 ✭✭✭Gamb!t

Overeem got him in the cluinch against the fence, ngannu literally just pushed him away. No one in the current roster troubles him
    I thought the ref pushed them away :cool:

• Registered Users Posts: 7,733 ✭✭✭ASOT

Tferg just had elbow surgery so no rush back for conor by the looks of things.

ASOT wrote: »
    Tferg just had elbow surgery so no rush back for conor by the looks of things.

he could have two new elbows and two new knees while he waits for mcgregor.

Breaking news: Mcgregor says he is ready to fight now....where you at tony...where you at????

• Registered Users Posts: 7,733 ✭✭✭ASOT

Bobby knuckles vs rockhold at ufc 221 all but confirmed according to ariel helwani

• Registered Users Posts: 6,411 ✭✭✭EagererBeaver

Helwani saying GSP has vacated after his diagnosis. Whitaker-Rockhold will be for the full belt.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,081 ✭✭✭Fromvert

He's sick at the thought of having to fight any of the top 5

Even though I thought Bisping could take him he never was going to defend it if he won.

Fiar play to GSP for making the decision so quickly and not holding up the division. If only other fights could do the same

• Advertisement

Fiar play to GSP for making the decision so quickly and not holding up the division. If only other fights could do the same

He made that decision before he even won the belt.

As for mcnugget, he has dreams of becoming the first fighter ever to be stripped in two divisions

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement