Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

General MMA Chat/News mk2

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 11,101 ✭✭✭✭Foxtrol

Lukker- wrote: »
    That's all well and good but he's a former champ, still in his prime and the UFC are meant to attract the best fighters not just the best PPV draws.

If PPV was all that mattered we'd have Kimbo Slice fighting in the UFC. Don't get me wrong PPV's are hugely important, but good matchups are what makes the UFC so exciting.

Look at the WW division, Robbie Lawler himself isn't a marketable fighter who they use to promote the UFC but his fights are because there are killers in the divison and you are guaranteed a good fight. If those guys below Lawler start to leave and he's left beating up bums, who's gonna watch it?

He’s a former champ at a lower weight division, who was barely in the rankings at either weight class when he left, he was disliked by many fans, and was rarely exciting.

As I said, they’d be in a worse place by overpaying than let the guy go. Fair play for him in doing better for himself but I doubt the UFC are losing sleep.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 18,146 Mod ✭✭✭✭CatFromHue

ASOT wrote: »
    It's Benson Henderson who's gone, Dan is still on the books and will KO Machida hopefully because he's a hero.

Ah right I thought a few posts were saying that Dan was thinking of going too.

If Machida KO's Dan though I hope that he retires, actually I hope he retires after that fight either way.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,733 ✭✭✭ASOT

CatFromHue wrote: »
    Ah right I thought a few posts were saying that Dan was thinking of going too.

If Machida KO's Dan though I hope that he retires, actually I hope he retires after that fight either way.

In all reality he should be long retired but he's a legend so fair play to him, he hasn't taken as much damage as others so I suppose it could be worse!

Caraway out of the dodson fight, he's playing a massive game of duck duck duck his whole career.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,541 ✭✭✭Davei141

Malki Kawa hinting on twitter that Yoel Romero's B sample came back negative.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 9,405 ✭✭✭Lukker-

Foxtrol wrote: »
    He’s a former champ at a lower weight division, who was barely in the rankings at either weight class when he left, he was disliked by many fans, and was rarely exciting.

As I said, they’d be in a worse place by overpaying than let the guy go. Fair play for him in doing better for himself but I doubt the UFC are losing sleep.

On the rankings, that's the UFC's way of sending him a message about a new contract.

He is absolutely top 3 or 4 in the LW division and probably top 10 WW, but that never materialised.

His only losses are against the former champ, the current champ and Cowboy who went on to be #1 contender and frankly the Cowboy decision was an absolute joke, that was Bendo's fight every day of the week.

Everyone knows the UFC rankings are a joke. He may not be fan favoruite but he is absolutely someone who can challenge

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 7,269 ✭✭✭Gamebred

Probably is clean,I was surprised because he passed olympic style testing for years,I know he doesnt pass the eye test tbf.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,480 ✭✭✭Devastator

On the rankings, that's the UFC's way of sending him a message about a new contract.

Aren't the rankings based on journalist ratings though and not UFC officials?

Devastator wrote: »
    Aren't the rankings based on journalist ratings though and not UFC officials?

Yeah but I reckon the UFC has a loose enough term for what they call a journalist and most likely have a few shills or can choose to interpret the voting how they want.

One of the panelists turned out to be just some Twitter dude with 300 followers and he was abusing a fighter who was complaining about not moving up after winning saying something like he didn't finish fights etc.

Rothwell V JDS rumoured for UFC Croatia headliner :eek::confused: Thats a pretty huge fight for what I would think a relatively tiny market in Croatia especially when compared to some of the other main events offered up in European cards recently.

Yeah but I reckon the UFC has a loose enough term for what they call a journalist and most likely have a few shills or can choose to interpret the voting how they want.

One of the panelists turned out to be just some Twitter dude with 300 followers and he was abusing a fighter who was complaining about not moving up after winning saying something like he didn't finish fights etc.

Gareth A Davies is classed as a journalist, thats a very loose term for him I feel but its just my opinion and doesn't count for sh*t. Whoever these people are that decide the rankings, they are not UFC officials so innsinuating some sort of conspiracy to move Bendo down the rankings to offer him a lower deal or kick him out I think is completely wide of the mark.

Dana White has been publically very critical of the rankings in the past and I think most fighters pay little or no attention to them anyway. The top 5 are probably the only rankings that anyone would consider anyway to see who could be in title contention.

• Advertisement

After the JDS we seen v overeem Ben will have no problem demolishing, love JDS to bits but he just didn't look right in that fight for whatever reason......

Rothwell V JDS rumoured for UFC Croatia headliner :eek::confused: Thats a pretty huge fight for what I would think a relatively tiny market in Croatia especially when compared to some of the other main events offered up in European cards recently.

Gareth A Davies is classed as a journalist, thats a very loose term for him I feel but its just my opinion and doesn't count for sh*t. Whoever these people are that decide the rankings, they are not UFC officials so innsinuating some sort of conspiracy to move Bendo down the rankings to offer him a lower deal or kick him out I think is completely wide of the mark.

Dana White has been publically very critical of the rankings in the past and I think most fighters pay little or no attention to them anyway. The top 5 are probably the only rankings that anyone would consider anyway to see who could be in title contention.

Yup and he's usually very critical of the judges too but that doesn't stop controversial decisions usually going the way of the company man more often then not.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,725 ✭✭✭SureYWouldntYa

After the JDS we seen v overeem Ben will have no problem demolishing, love JDS to bits but he just didn't look right in that fight for whatever reason......

Velasquez done fcuked him up

One of the fighters I'd want to see retire early after the beatings he took

Didnt stop him whooping Miocic 2 fights ago.

Velasquez done fcuked him up

One of the fighters I'd want to see retire early after the beatings he took

Yep cain took his soul in that fight, would have been happy to seen him retire then. He arguably lost to Stipe got banged up major that fight too, been I'm alot of wars but just the overeem fight he seemed compleatly deflated and nowhere near the JDS I loved. Hopefully it's not for certain reason but being brazillian etc and the way the sports gone I have massive doubts over anyone who's showing these types of drastic changes.
    Gamebred wrote: »

Had Stipe winning that myself, good fight none the less.

Yep cain took his soul in that fight, would have been happy to seen him retire then. He arguably lost to Stipe got banged up major that fight too, been I'm alot of wars but just the overeem fight he seemed compleatly deflated and nowhere near the JDS I loved. Hopefully it's not for certain reason but being brazillian etc and the way the sports gone I have massive doubts over anyone who's showing these types of drastic changes.

Had Stipe winning that myself, good fight none the less.

Yeah maybe not whooping i worded it wrong but I thought he done enough to beat a top contender in stipe,If I remember stipe won the first few then gassed a bit,the reem fight was weird nothing was thrown so cant take much from it,we know these guys wont retire in one piece have to give pendred a lot of respect for doing it.

Yeah maybe not whooping i worded it wrong but I thought he done enough to beat a top contender in stipe,If I remember stipe won the first few then gassed a bit,the reem fight was weird nothing was thrown so cant take much from it,we know these guys wont retire in one piece have to give pendred a lot of respect for doing it.

Yeah blew heavy in the third was lucky not to get finished in the fourth but picked up a close fifth in my books for the 3-2 but obviously have no arguments with him losing it was a good close fight. Yeah I don't know that Reem. Fight was just strange like really strange seemed a shadow of his former self it was ridiculous, exactly credit where it's due it was a smart move, the polar opposite looking at people like RJJ still fighting and bleeding frank Bruno thinking of coming back.

Lots of rumours that Yoel Romero's B sample came back negative, his agent posted something about him having news and that Tim Kennedy would have to eat his words.

Significant development, although I 100% still think he juiced but his B sample was somehow compromised. I don't see how a designer steroid could flag at all without being present. He was one of the more tested athletes, they were most likely building a biological profile on him with multiple tests, flagging dodgy stuff and seeing did it appear again but for whatever reason couldn't reproduce it in B sample.

Or maybe Gay Jesus can piss into wine.

Lots of rumours that Yoel Romero's B sample came back negative, his agent posted something about him having news and that Tim Kennedy would have to eat his words.

Significant development, although I 100% still think he juiced but his B sample was somehow compromised. I don't see how a designer steroid could flag at all without being present. He was one of the more tested athletes, they were most likely building a biological profile on him with multiple tests, flagging dodgy stuff and seeing did it appear again but for whatever reason couldn't reproduce it in B sample.

Or maybe Gay Jesus can turn piss into wine.

• Registered Users Posts: 39,140 ✭✭✭✭Mellor

But all the individual votes are available. Even if they could influence one of two guys it's not going to have a huge effect.
    Would they be stupid enough to tamper with them?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,137 ✭✭✭TimRiggins

Very close fight that could have went either way. Hardly a whooping.

Yeah I agree with the others, he hasn't looked like the same fighter since the 1st defeat to Cain....and looks even worse recently. I'd love to see JDS getting back to the fighter of old.
    Yup and he's usually very critical of the judges too but that doesn't stop controversial decisions usually going the way of the company man more often then not.

So lukker, just to confirm. You think the UFC are paying off(employing,call it what you like) journalists to keep certain fighters down the rankings because the UFC don't want to offer them a new bigger contract AND UFC are paying off(again....etc) judges so preferred fighters get decisions?

hahahaha I love a good aul conspiracy therory but thats a pretty wild line of thinking. Why watch UFC if you think this? Be aswell switching to WWE

Lebans signed for Bellator.... The taught of this makes me sick lads, I know it says pending physicals so hopefully he fails then and stays retired but this really shouldn't be happening Bellator should be ashamed.

http://www.mmafighting.com/2016/2/6/10926180/bellator-signs-ufc-veteran-chris-leben

• Registered Users Posts: 28,710 ✭✭✭✭Paully D

Oh for **** sake. I've decided to do Rotterdam which is Struve v Bigfoot! :(:mad:

Lebans signed for Bellator.... The taught of this makes me sick lads, I know it says pending physicals so hopefully he fails then and stays retired but this really shouldn't be happening Bellator should be ashamed.

http://www.mmafighting.com/2016/2/6/10926180/bellator-signs-ufc-veteran-chris-leben

:( Its another example of why I think fighters such as Bendo should questions signing for Bellator. Yeah he'll earn some money up front but the promotion really doesn't seem to care about their fighters health or well being. Leben's last few fights were difficult to watch.
    Paully D wrote: »
    Oh for **** sake. I've decided to do Rotterdam which is Struve v Bigfoot! :(:mad:

Yeah? I hadn't heard anything but I'm planning on going to it aswell. I thought for definite they'd have Overeem headlining.
    Do you know why its being billed as Sunday 8th May? I'm guessing its maybe 1 of these crazy middle of the night European cards to suit American tv/time schedules. Feyenoord are playing at home on the Sunday that weekend in last match of the Dutch season....could be a packed weekend :D

• Registered Users Posts: 28,710 ✭✭✭✭Paully D

Yeah? I hadn't heard anything but I'm planning on going to it aswell. I thought for definite they'd have Overeem headlining.
    Do you know why its being billed as Sunday 8th May? I'm guessing its maybe 1 of these crazy middle of the night European cards to suit American tv/time schedules. Feyenoord are playing at home on the Sunday that weekend in last match of the Dutch season....could be a packed weekend :D

Someone at UFC towers released the poster for it about 2 days after the announcement for Rotterdam was made. Then it was quickly deleted and I'm sure the person who posted it was sacked. :pac:

But a few sites have had it up. A very poor main event IMO, but it will be a great weekend in any case I'm sure:

http://www.kimura.se/ufc-rotterdam-stefan-struve-ryktas-mot-antonio-bigfoot-silva/

https://twitter.com/search?q=struve%20bigfoot&src=typd

Unsure why it's being billed as a Sunday to be honest but Zagreb is the same. I'd love a crazy late card like Sweden got! :)

Paully D wrote: »
    Someone at UFC towers released the poster for it about 2 days after the announcement for Rotterdam was made. Then it was quickly deleted and I'm sure the person who posted it was sacked. :pac:

But a few sites have had it up. A very poor main event IMO, but it will be a great weekend in any case I'm sure:

http://www.kimura.se/ufc-rotterdam-stefan-struve-ryktas-mot-antonio-bigfoot-silva/

https://twitter.com/search?q=struve%20bigfoot&src=typd

Unsure why it's being billed as a Sunday to be honest but Zagreb is the same. I'd love a crazy late card like Sweden got! :)

awwwhhhh the poor UFC poster department are having a tough time of it recently :D

Yeah it is a poor main event, especially if the Croatia headliner is true....but with the other delights Holland(& Amsterdam which is on the way) has to offer then it'll be a great weekend anyway :p

I really don't want it to be a late night card, that means it won't be over until about 7am and the Feyenoord match is 1pm kick off :D

Ugh. Not good for Chris, or the sport.

That's exactly why I hate when people talk about Bendo moving to Belator as some sort of fighters interest promotion. It's nonsense. Sure Bendo will get a payday, and he'll get some sponsor bonus. But the typical Belator fighter will continue to get peanuts to fight, no sponsors and no fcks given about their wellbeing. Belator are way scummier that UFC.

Mellor wrote: »
    But all the individual votes are available. Even if they could influence one of two guys it's not going to have a huge effect.
    Would they be stupid enough to tamper with them?
    Yeah I agree with the others, he hasn't looked like the same fighter since the 1st defeat to Cain....and looks even worse recently. I'd love to see JDS getting back to the fighter of old.

I didn't realise the list was available do you have a link?

So lukker, just to confirm. You think the UFC are paying off(employing,call it what you like) journalists to keep certain fighters down the rankings because the UFC don't want to offer them a new bigger contract AND UFC are paying off(again....etc) judges so preferred fighters get decisions?

hahahaha I love a good aul conspiracy therory but thats a pretty wild line of thinking. Why watch UFC if you think this? Be aswell switching to WWE

I think a large portion of the people who vote aren't journalists or the UFC can choose to interpret the results how they want. How else could you explain Dennis Siver getting a 4 place ranking boost just before fighting Conor even though he hadn't fought for 8 months?

They did the same with Holm, she moved up the rankings after every event leading up to her vs Rousey even though she didn't fight.

There is no way in my mind that this is impartial, every move suites there agenda too much.

• Advertisement

(Not UFC but probably the best thread for it.)

Hide yo' ankles, lock up yo' knees. The heel hooks are coming...

polaris.0.0.jpg

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement