Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

General MMA Chat/News mk2

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,683 ✭✭✭Subcomandante Marcos

Whelo79 wrote: »
    Well hopefully they've weeded out all the amateurs who applied. Snooping on some of the Facebook profiles a couple of weeks back made for interesting viewing of lads in Muay Thai and Kickboxing classes!

I actually think half the reason they have tryouts is to weed out the lads who have obvious training. At least that's what it should be.

Someone rocking up shredded and throwing jabs that pop and left hooks that are smacking into pads should be told to feck off back to their clubs and lads passing guard for fun should be armbarred into oblivion by the coaches for being cheeky gits.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,649 ✭✭✭Whelo79

Devastator wrote: »
    Well done!! Thats awesome :D Pressure's on now not to get your ballix knocked in or you'll have to leave boards forever :eek:;)

Haha, true!! Fighting is way down the line yet thankfully!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,649 ✭✭✭Whelo79

I actually think half the reason they have tryouts is to weed out the lads who have obvious training. At least that's what it should be.

Someone rocking up shredded and throwing jabs that pop and left hooks that are smacking into pads should be told to feck off back to their clubs and lads passing guard for fun should be armbarred into oblivion by the coaches for being cheeky gits.

Unfortunately there was none of that in the tryouts though. It was all strength and fitness based. Basically pushing people to their limit and beyond so as they could see who was likely to quit when the going got though. Fitness level didn't matter, it was all about your mental toughness.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,751 ✭✭✭✭Dtp1979

Unfortunately there was none of that in the tryouts though. It was all strength and fitness based. Basically pushing people to their limit and beyond so as they could see who was likely to quit when the going got though. Fitness level didn't matter, it was all about your mental toughness.

Best of luck whelo. Maybe you could open a thread on here about your start to finish journey if your allowed?

• Registered Users Posts: 39,138 ✭✭✭✭Mellor

martyos121 wrote: »
    It'll take a far bigger name than him to jump ship to get them any spotlight at all with the casual fans. They need an Anderson Silva, Conor McGregor or Jon Jones type to have any chance of competing with the UFC
    They aren't trying to compete with the UFC. They'll still be paying the undercard guys peanuts. All they want is for Bendo to bring in more money than they pay him, if that happens they've made $$.
    If they're smart, they'll invest the majority of their funds in scouting for the time being, and offering good prospects great deals. Why should they pay ridiculous money to poach a top player from the UFC when they can try and develop their own?
    I don;t see how they can develop fighters. Conor McGregor developed as a fighter in the CW banner. But when the tiem came they waished hi mthe best and sent him on his way. Until Bellator can offer similar terms as to developing fighters they can't hope to hold on to any.
    I just found out that I got selected for this! Absolutely delighted. Training doesn't start until March and it's gong to be a tough 6 months. I might have to start watching some MMA training for dummies videos!!
    Congrats Whelo. It's a tough 6 months ahead of you.
    If you any questions or anything let me know. Don't worry too much about people with experience sneaking through. It's not a TUF style knockout tourney. You'll be match with one person based on ability over the first few months. That's the only person what matters to you.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 18,146 Mod ✭✭✭✭CatFromHue

Best to check with the organisers of it first whether you can or not.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,480 ✭✭✭Devastator

http://www.mmafighting.com/2016/2/2/10900306/csac-passes-emergency-weight-cutting-rules-including-bans-on

I think weight cutting, dyhrdration & rehydration rules will be discussed, changed, scraped, reintroduced,etc,etc for the next year or two.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,314 ✭✭✭BOHtox

Similar to the way we think about the 10 point per round system, I think the weight-cutting issue is a problem with no real obvious solution.

The problem with the 10 point per round system is that it's objective but any replacement system I've seen suggested is equally subjective.

Weight-cutting has gotten very extreme in some cases. McGregor could not continue to exist for much longer than he does pre-weigh-ins. Is it time to say 'right, these two fighters will fight each other and will both have a natural, fully hydrated body weight of 170 lbs when stepping in to the ring'? Or is it time to say 'you can dehydrate but only 10% of your natural body weight'? Or is it down to the fighter himself if he wants to cut weight.

Will there ever be a time where every organisation and every athletic commission ban weight cuts? I highly doubt it.

• Registered Users Posts: 29,571 ✭✭✭✭Zero-Cool

Mad story altogether from Mike Jackson as he gets ready to fight Mickey Gall at UFC 196 and if Mick should win, he will get 1st crack at CM Punk.

Jackson had 1 amateur fight in 2012 and now goes to events to take pics, vids and interviews for his blog. He got the call to fight Gall to test if Gall can then fight Punk. But if Jackson wins, he doesn't get a shot at Punk at all. Whole thing is rediculous!

http://www.mmafighting.com/2016/2/3/10796838/the-path-to-cm-punk-goes-through-mike-jackson-who-thinks-the-whole

• Registered Users Posts: 7,733 ✭✭✭ASOT

Zero-Cool wrote: »
    Mad story altogether from Mike Jackson as he gets ready to fight Mickey Gall at UFC 196 and if Mick should win, he will get 1st crack at CM Punk.

Jackson had 1 amateur fight in 2012 and now goes to events to take pics, vids and interviews for his blog. He got the call to fight Gall to test if Gall can then fight Punk. But if Jackson wins, he doesn't get a shot at Punk at all. Whole thing is rediculous!

http://www.mmafighting.com/2016/2/3/10796838/the-path-to-cm-punk-goes-through-mike-jackson-who-thinks-the-whole

Yeah it was announced a few months back, bit mad all the same. Either way punk will be fighting a nobody anywya as the commission wouldn't sanction the fight with anyone over a 1/2 fight record.

• Advertisement

ASOT wrote: »
    Yeah it was announced a few months back, bit mad all the same. Either way punk will be fighting a nobody anywya as the commission wouldn't sanction the fight with anyone over a 1/2 fight record.

Yeah, I knew about it all right but Jackson's side of the story makes it sound like even more of a farce than it is. Just on this story alone, I'll be rooting for Mick Jackson.

Zero-Cool wrote: »
    Yeah, I knew about it all right but Jackson's side of the story makes it sound like even more of a farce than it is. Just on this story alone, I'll be rooting for Mick Jackson.

I still don't see Punk making his debut for some reason but hopefully gal and Jackson get sorted out anyway.

http://www.mmafighting.com/2016/2/2/10901446/usada-ufcs-abdul-kerim-edilov-potentially-in-violation-of-anti-doping

Edilov popped before he even made his debut.

DW announced Weidman Rockhold 2 for UFC 199. I was fully dure that was gonna be 200 under Conor Frankie

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 7,269 ✭✭✭Gamebred

Weidman should take more time off and have a warm up fight instead of this rematch,he got broke up doubt he will be the same.

Another headline fight cancelled. Tim Means with a "potential doping viloation"
    http://mmajunkie.com/2016/02/tim-means-pulled-from-ufc-fight-night-83-headliner-after-failed-usada-test

Do'H!

Forgot and used quick reply :(

Another headline fight cancelled. Tim Means with a "potential doping viloation"
    http://mmajunkie.com/2016/02/tim-means-pulled-from-ufc-fight-night-83-headliner-after-failed-usada-test

Was just coming to post that. It's only confirming what we always knew

Mellor wrote: »
    Was just coming to post that. It's only confirming what we always knew

Never taught he was on the juice any reason why you did?

ASOT wrote: »
    Never taught he was on the juice any reason why you did?
    I think there's a sentence is missing there. I was saying usada are catching somebody every other event. Hardly surprising, everyone knew that PEDs were widespread in sport.

I think there's a sentence is missing there. I was saying usada are catching somebody every other event. Hardly surprising, everyone knew that PEDs were widespread in sport.

Oh right Yeah that's makes much more sense now :pac: taught it was aimed at means resurgence in his second ufc stint!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,604 ✭✭✭dave1982

What's new promotion chael on bout, he had a grappling match signed with rampage but rampages contract stopped it. Says there wrestling matching, boxing, mma and a grappling match. Claims 2 ufc hall of famers are signed to compete

Any fighter currently looking for an unfair advantage is just stupid. Do they think the USADA testing is just a wind up? There have already been people caught and high profile people tested during public type times(Bisping & DJ both had knocks on their doors while doing podcast/radio interviews in last few weeks).

We've seen cards fall apart due to an injury in the past. This week's event had to be downgraded due to injury but with so many events and fighters getting caught I fear the next year could be disasterous if fighters keep on cheating

• Registered Users Posts: 3,118 ✭✭✭shrapnel222

Any fighter currently looking for an unfair advantage is just stupid. Do they think the USADA testing is just a wind up? There have already been people caught and high profile people tested during public type times(Bisping & DJ both had knocks on their doors while doing podcast/radio interviews in last few weeks).

We've seen cards fall apart due to an injury in the past. This week's event had to be downgraded due to injury but with so many events and fighters getting caught I fear the next year could be disasterous if fighters keep on cheating

Why is this a surprise? PEDs are endemic to ALL professional sports. There are always ways around testing and always people finding new ways to get around it. Wouldn't be at all surprised if, in most sports, MMA included, there are more people taking them than not. no sport is clean nor will sport ever be clean.

Why is this a surprise? PEDs are endemic to ALL professional sports. There are always ways around testing and always people finding new ways to get around it. Wouldn't be at all surprised if, in most sports, MMA included, there are more people taking them than not. no sport is clean nor will sport ever be clean.

Umm its not a surprise at all. I didn't think/intend my post to sound like it was a surprise which is why I said anyone cheating is stupid. I'm in no doubt that cheats are looking for new ways to get around the system but I have hope/faith that they will eventually be caught.

IMO once someones caught thats their legacy ruined. I don't care if they come back clean and go on 10 fight win streak and win belts, they'll always be a cheat in my mind and I'll always have doubts about them. Anderson Silva was 1 of my(and probably most peoples) favorite fighters but now I just think he was probably juicing the whole time. I'll still watch his fights but not in the same awe that I had for him before.

Umm its not a surprise at all. I didn't think/intend my post to sound like it was a surprise which is why I said anyone cheating is stupid. I'm in no doubt that cheats are looking for new ways to get around the system but I have hope/faith that they will eventually be caught.

IMO once someones caught thats their legacy ruined. I don't care if they come back clean and go on 10 fight win streak and win belts, they'll always be a cheat in my mind and I'll always have doubts about them. Anderson Silva was 1 of my(and probably most peoples) favorite fighters but now I just think he was probably juicing the whole time. I'll still watch his fights but not in the same awe that I had for him before.

funnily enough, i see it the other way. For me every single fighter juices, and it's just a matter of time until they slip up and get caught, and it's never a surprise. :pac:

funnily enough, i see it the other way. For me every single fighter juices, and it's just a matter of time until they slip up and get caught, and it's never a surprise. :pac:

Every fighter? Jaysus man, if I thought that I'd have to find a new sport to watch:D

• Registered Users Posts: 2,709 ✭✭✭shrewdness

Reports coming out of Brazil that the Fight Night scheduled for May will change to UFC 198 and be headlined by Werdum vs Stipe.

http://www.bloodyelbow.com/2016/2/3/10911516/ufc-news-ufc-198-ufn-87-werdum-miocic-belfort-jacare

So assuming Jones vs Cormier goes ahead in April and Rockhold vs Weidman is in June, it narrows down the list of possibilities for UFC 200. Id imagine Lawler will be fighting on that I'd say and the UFC will be praying Conor comes through his fight healthy and he'll headline vs Frankie.

Every fighter? Jaysus man, if I thought that I'd have to find a new sport to watch:D

same thing in all the other sports though. Everyone's at it, so there's no escaping it. And sadly, i'm more than likely more right than you.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 7,269 ✭✭✭Gamebred

same thing in all the other sports though. Everyone's at it, so there's no escaping it. And sadly, i'm more than likely more right than you.

I agree,at the top of most sports in opinion there is PED cheating going on so advanced the authorities cant even detect it,MMA is rampant these people are still cheating knowing Usada are testing so you can imagine what they were up to when there was no random tests.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,314 ✭✭✭BOHtox

Faber and Cruz will more than likely fight at some stage too. Could be 200. GSP as well? Conor vs somebody (Frankie if he bothers with the cut again which I think he mightn't)

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement