Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

General MMA Chat/News mk2

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 5,440 ✭✭✭califano

Anyone know how long more BT Sports have the UFC contract for?. And are they likely to keep it?.
    I ask because the new Vodaphone TV gives you BT sports as part of the service and id consider it it i knew ufc was likely to stay with BT.

edit: expires expires in August 2016 it seems

• Registered Users Posts: 1,380 ✭✭✭Gamb!t

dave1982 wrote: »
    Johny Hendricks vs. Stephen Thompson to headline UFC 196 on FOX Sports 1
    Meh.

How come UFC have not updated their website with Werdum out ?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,683 ✭✭✭Subcomandante Marcos

This was Hendricks 3 weeks ago. Seems like he's learned his lesson.

https://www.instagram.com/p/BADWD9ag97w/

• Registered Users Posts: 2,709 ✭✭✭shrewdness

UFC 196 is now called UFC Fight Night: Hendricks vs Thompson, and the RDA vs McGregor event is now UFC 196!

Don't think this affects the current date of UFC 200, apparently they'll now stick an extra PPV in May or June as one of those months weren't going to have a PPV the way things were.

• Registered Users Posts: 39,055 ✭✭✭✭Mellor

shrewdness wrote: »
    UFC 196 is now called UFC Fight Night: Hendricks vs Thompson, and the RDA vs McGregor event is now UFC 196!

Don't think this affects the current date of UFC 200, apparently they'll now stick an extra PPV in May or June as one of those months weren't going to have a PPV the way things were.

Yeah looks that way. Got lucky that they had a spare month.

So something like;
    197 - April 23rd
    198 - May 21st
    199 - June 11th
    200 - July 9th

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 4,480 ✭✭✭Devastator

There has been quite a bit of event juggling in the 1st 6 months of this year if rumours are to be believed.
    197 was apparently supposed to be in Brazil with I think Silva/Belfort headlining which isn't happening. 197 then moved to Vegas with Conor/RDA and is now 196 :D
    198(?) was booked with fingers and toes crossed for MSG which isn't being allowed to go ahead so they have to rebook a venue. That event wherever it will take place will now be called 197.

So now they'll have to book 2 PPVs(198 &199) into May & June. They'll need to book fights worthy of making a PPV card even though the now 196 card is still very light on booked matchups. All of this is going on while they won't(I presume) want to really risk their big names because they'll have ideas about who they want fighting at 200!

*Double post*

edit - might aswell use the double post for an actual post :)

Chael Sonnen is going to be on NBC's Celebrity Apprentice 2016. Now you can watch him get fired off 2 networks.(MMARoasted)

http://variety.com/2016/tv/news/celebrity-apprentice-season-8-warren-buffett-nbc-arnold-schwarzenegger-1201689140/

• Registered Users Posts: 7,733 ✭✭✭ASOT

Danny Castillo finally got his P45 :)

ASOT wrote: »

He'll just move to One or Bellator and make more money from sponsorship that his fighter pay at UFC.

Kind of a win for him.

• Registered Users Posts: 51,342 ✭✭✭✭That_Guy

ASOT wrote: »

You might say he got his.... last call from the UFC.....

;)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 28,710 ✭✭✭✭Paully D

Is there anywhere on the net I can find coaches records for fighters? For example can I easily find Zahabi's record for fighters he trains in the UFC, Kavanagh's etc? I've had a quick look but couldn't really find anything.

WOW! I've often wondered if anything like this had ever happened in MMA but never seen or heard of it before now. Did somebody forget to put a latch on the gate? Video posted by Joe Lauzon https://www.instagram.com/p/BBMEo3kKb1H/

• Registered Users Posts: 1,065 ✭✭✭thewheel2.0

Devastator wrote: »
    WOW! I've often wondered if anything like this had ever happened in MMA but never seen or heard of it before now. Did somebody forget to put a latch on the gate? Video posted by Joe Lauzon

I was just saying to my missus that Rothwell and Barnet were putting serious pressure on the cage. Then woke up to this video. I presume the UFC cages are better quality!!!

• Registered Users Posts: 6,416 ✭✭✭weemcd

Devastator wrote: »
    WOW! I've often wondered if anything like this had ever happened in MMA but never seen or heard of it before now. Did somebody forget to put a latch on the gate? Video posted by Joe Lauzon https://www.instagram.com/p/BBMEo3kKb1H/

In either the 2nd or 3rd fight between Cain and JDS the cage door flies open during a round. Some guy is straight up to close it but it was crazy at the time

• Registered Users Posts: 12,211 ✭✭✭✭DrPhilG

I'd like to see that footage from a better angle. What happened to the fighters? Did the fight continue or were there injuries to either of them?

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 12,629 Mod ✭✭✭✭riffmongous

DrPhilG wrote: »
    I'd like to see that footage from a better angle. What happened to the fighters? Did the fight continue or were there injuries to either of them?

The competitors were James Collins and Marty Navis, two amateurs making their debuts (h/t @AdelBrkic) at Cage Titans 27 in Plymouth, Mass., according to Tapology. The bout was reportedly ruled a no contest. Collins, who trains under Lauzon, was OK, Lauzon wrote. But he said Navis had to be taken to the hospital with a rib injury.
    Cage Titans posted Friday on Instagram that it would be using a brand new cage for this event.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,211 ✭✭✭✭DrPhilG

They'll be hoping that they don't get sued!

JDS/Cain didn't fall out onto the floor did they? I think it may have been their 2nd fight. I'm sure someone got an earful after this happened. The UFC octagons must be sturdy, during Rothwell & Barnett I thought they were going to go through 1 of the cage walls at 1 point they hit it so hard! Is anyone elses boards all kinds of f***ed up? I've got a white backround, layouts all over the show and no quote buttons or anything appearing

Pretty sure it happened in the early day of the UFC. Around UFC 3.
    Big huge black sumo wrestler charged a much smaller guy and burst through the cage door. It was the match billed as DAvid and Gollaith.

Pretty sure it happened in the early day of the UFC. Around UFC 3.
    Big huge black sumo wrestler charged a much smaller guy and burst through the cage door. It was the match billed as DAvid and Gollaith.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 29,498 ✭✭✭✭Zero-Cool

Mighty Mouse Twitch streaming Bloodborne and there's a knock on the door. Comments section start joking it's USADA and turns out it actually is :pac:

https://cdn.streamable.com/video/mp4/hz2d.mp4

• Registered Users Posts: 29,498 ✭✭✭✭Zero-Cool

Benson Henderson had officially signed to Bellator. Brave move, make some nice money through sponsors and probably become champ again. I wonder will other fighters follow suit.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,580 ✭✭✭smilerf

Zero-Cool wrote: »
    Benson Henderson had officially signed to Bellator. Brave move, make some nice money through sponsors and probably become champ again. I wonder will other fighters follow suit.
    Strange one that.

• Registered Users Posts: 21,343 ✭✭✭✭martyos121

It'll take a far bigger name than him to jump ship to get them any spotlight at all with the casual fans. They need an Anderson Silva, Conor McGregor or Jon Jones type to have any chance of competing with the UFC.

If they're smart, they'll invest the majority of their funds in scouting for the time being, and offering good prospects great deals. Why should they pay ridiculous money to poach a top player from the UFC when they can try and develop their own?

I will say though, that Bendo signing up might coax one or two more over if the money is as good as what's being reported.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,649 ✭✭✭Whelo79

Whelo79 wrote: »
    That lad is taking part in the UK one which is in its third week of the 6 month training camp. He is doing a weekly video blog documenting the training. I was at the tryouts on Sunday morning for the Irish version which is likely to start in March at some stage. It will be about 2 or 3 weeks before they make their selections for participants on the Irish one. Tryouts were up in SBG on the Naas Road.

I just found out that I got selected for this! Absolutely delighted. Training doesn't start until March and it's gong to be a tough 6 months. I might have to start watching some MMA training for dummies videos!!

I just found out that I got selected for this! Absolutely delighted. Training doesn't start until March and it's gong to be a tough 6 months. I might have to start watching some MMA training for dummies videos!!

If you can throw a jab, straight, hook combo and are able to throw a front kick you're probably ahead of the curve for the show.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 7,269 ✭✭✭Gamebred

Plenty of time to get a head start and begin your training now.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,649 ✭✭✭Whelo79

If you can throw a jab, straight, hook combo and are able to throw a front kick you're probably ahead of the curve for the show.

Well hopefully they've weeded out all the amateurs who applied. Snooping on some of the Facebook profiles a couple of weeks back made for interesting viewing of lads in Muay Thai and Kickboxing classes!

Well done!! Thats awesome :D Pressure's on now not to get your ballix knocked in or you'll have to leave boards forever :eek:;)

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 7,269 ✭✭✭Gamebred

Well hopefully they've weeded out all the amateurs who applied. Snooping on some of the Facebook profiles a couple of weeks back made for interesting viewing of lads in Muay Thai and Kickboxing classes!

No surprise really,When I was younger starting boxing you'd fight in the novices and there'd be lads there with years more experience loads of club shows under the belt with no business in them so you have to prepare for the best there is,dont treat them as day one beginners.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement