Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

General MMA Chat/News mk2

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 9,405 ✭✭✭Lukker-

Looks like the Yoel's ban was overturned.

Does that mean he gets a title shot?

https://www.instagram.com/p/BBbeL-rsB8l/

• Registered Users Posts: 7,733 ✭✭✭ASOT

There's something not right with the romero thing at all, they don't just pick up a designer drug for no reason.....

• Registered Users Posts: 4,541 ✭✭✭Davei141

Glad Romero is back in the picture. Why didn't they wait till the B sample came back before making the title fight? I wish they would scrap the Weidman rematch now but that wont happen.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,480 ✭✭✭Devastator

Devastator wrote: »
    So lukker, just to confirm. You think the UFC are paying off(employing,call it what you like) journalists to keep certain fighters down the rankings because the UFC don't want to offer them a new bigger contract AND UFC are paying off(again....etc) judges so preferred fighters get decisions?

hahahaha I love a good aul conspiracy therory but thats a pretty wild line of thinking. Why watch UFC if you think this? Be aswell switching to WWE
    Lukker- wrote: »
    I think a large portion of the people who vote aren't journalists or the UFC can choose to interpret the results how they want. How else could you explain Dennis Siver getting a 4 place ranking boost just before fighting Conor even though he hadn't fought for 8 months?

They did the same with Holm, she moved up the rankings after every event leading up to her vs Rousey even though she didn't fight.

There is no way in my mind that this is impartial, every move suites there agenda too much.

I dunno, is that a confirmation or not :confused: Are you a politician lukker? What about the judges?

Your posts regarding this just read very anti UFC with some straws being grasped at to "back up" your point. You've went from low rankings to screw Bendo to something about Siver against CMcG. I think you're right, this is in your mind but thats it! Seeing as your the 1 thinking there is some conspiracy why don't you explain to the rest of us about Siver or Holm because I don't understand your point at all. Maybe if you can offer up some evidence to your claims instead of just claiming agendas and underhand dealings then your arguement will have more substance.

As I said earlier I don't think rankings matter apart from maybe the top 5 and nobody pays much(any) attention to them anyway so the UFC paying people to 'fix'the rankings seems a ridiculous waste of time and money nevermind far fetched.

If you don't think the UFC doesn't influence rankings you are being naive.

• Advertisement

Davei141 wrote: »
    Glad Romero is back in the picture. Why didn't they wait till the B sample came back before making the title fight? I wish they would scrap the Weidman rematch now but that wont happen.

Why should they scrap the weidman rematch? Romero arguably lost to Jacare anyway didn't deserve a title fight regardless of weidman rematch or not.

ASOT wrote: »
    Why should they scrap the weidman rematch? Romero arguably lost to Jacare anyway didn't deserve a title fight regardless of weidman rematch or not.

Yeah and Weidman didn't arguably lose to Rockhold. He got pummeled into next week. Romero almost finishing Jacare and winning a decision is far more impressive than Weidmans showing vs Rockhold.

Yeah and Weidman didn't arguably lose to Rockhold. He got pummeled into next week. Romero almost finishing Jacare and winning a decision is far more impressive than Weidmans showing vs Rockhold.

There's were both pretty terrible showings and neither were deserving of a title shot imo. Nearly finishing someone and going on to nearly lose a decision shouldn't earn you a title shot. He nearly got finished by Tim Kennedy so by that logic Tim should get a shot a Rockhold. It's a weak division and neither should be fighting for the belt but a Weidman rematch makes more sense.

ASOT wrote: »
    There's were both pretty terrible showings and neither were deserving of a title shot imo. Nearly finishing someone and going on to nearly lose a decision shouldn't earn you a title shot. He nearly got finished by Tim Kennedy so by that logic Tim should get a shot a Rockhold. It's a weak division and neither should be fighting for the belt but a Weidman rematch makes more sense.

Some serious mental gymnastics right there. Getting TKO'd is the same as winning a decision? and What are you on about Tim Kennedy for? I get it you don't like Romero.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,405 ✭✭✭Lukker-

I dunno, is that a confirmation or not :confused: Are you a politician lukker? What about the judges?

Your posts regarding this just read very anti UFC with some straws being grasped at to "back up" your point. You've went from low rankings to screw Bendo to something about Siver against CMcG. I think you're right, this is in your mind but thats it! Seeing as your the 1 thinking there is some conspiracy why don't you explain to the rest of us about Siver or Holm because I don't understand your point at all. Maybe if you can offer up some evidence to your claims instead of just claiming agendas and underhand dealings then your arguement will have more substance.

As I said earlier I don't think rankings matter apart from maybe the top 5 and nobody pays much(any) attention to them anyway so the UFC paying people to 'fix'the rankings seems a ridiculous waste of time and money nevermind far fetched.

No I don't think they are paying off journalists. I think they can choose to interpret results as they wish.

Don't see how that is hard to understand.

Any the rankings should absolutely mean something. You say only the top 5 matter and at this stage I agree with you but how does one break into the top 5? You have to climb the top 15. So it's ridiculous having having bullsh*t rankings that don't mean anything when it's a fighters passage to a title shot.

I'm asking you why would any reputable journalist bump Dennis Siver 4 places a few weeks before his fight against Conor? Other then it looks better for the UFC to have Conor fight someone with a higher ranking.

How would you explain things like that in a supposedly democratic ranking system?

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,970 ✭✭✭Lenin Skynard

Romero is like the Michael Lowry of MMA at this point.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,585 ✭✭✭smilerf

On the note of rankings. How did Benson Henderson fall so much. His only loss was a very iffy decision against Cowboy

No I don't think they are paying off journalists. I think they can choose to interpret results as they wish.

Don't see how that is hard to understand.

Any the rankings should absolutely mean something. You say only the top 5 matter and at this stage I agree with you but how does one break into the top 5? You have to climb the top 15. So it's ridiculous having having bullsh*t rankings that don't mean anything when it's a fighters passage to a title shot.

I'm asking you why would any reputable journalist bump Dennis Siver 4 places a few weeks before his fight against Conor? Other then it looks better for the UFC to have Conor fight someone with a higher ranking.

How would you explain things like that in a supposedly democratic ranking system?

Interpret results? Who? The journalists? Well thats what they're there for?!?! :confused: They are paid by a paper/website for their opinions and to report it back. They're entitled to interpret a fight how they wish, thats the exact same as you or me.

I agree the rankings should mean something, but they don't which was my point. I think you said yourself yesterday the rankings were a joke, right? Everybody seems to think that, from Dana White down through fighters to us fans. Thats why I said probably probably only top 5 get looked at because thats when a fighter will think they're in title contention.

I'm not answering your Siver question because I don't see what relevance it has to the original discussion(you claiming the UFC moved Bendo down to give him a lower contract). Also I'm not a journalist or 1 of these people who decide the rankings so I can not answer for what their opinion is.

Can you explain how the UFC are making decisions on who is ranked where? Thats what your original claim was, which I don't understand.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,731 ✭✭✭SureYWouldntYa

smilerf wrote: »
    On the note of rankings. How did Benson Henderson fall so much. His only loss was a very iffy decision against Cowboy

Getting KO'd by RDA pushed him down

• Registered Users Posts: 2,590 ✭✭✭CurryFlavoured

The Romero thing is dodgy, and I still don't believe he's clean. If he is I'd like to him fight Rockhold though.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,590 ✭✭✭CurryFlavoured

I think Weidman and Rockhold are the 2 top dogs but best scenario for me is probably Jacare getting the next shot (thought that fight was a draw, and he's clean). Don't like these constant immediate rematches.

• Registered Users Posts: 51,342 ✭✭✭✭That_Guy

If you don't think the UFC doesn't influence rankings you are being naive.

Everyone knows the rankings are complete crap but I'm pretty sure that nowadays they're there to add to Fox Sports promos for upcoming fights.

"#5 ranked fighter takes on #3 ranked fighter in a fight that will have upcoming title implications"

It just sells the fight to viewers watching on that channel I think.

• Registered Users Posts: 28,710 ✭✭✭✭Paully D

5 years ago today. A shame now to think one was definitely juicing and the other probably was.

B9HrJYuCcAAstrJ.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 1,383 ✭✭✭Gamb!t

Some fights coming up in April.
    Jones v Cormier
    Khabib v Ferguson
    http://www.ufc.com/news/Cormier-Jones-rematch-johnson-cejudo-set-for-UFC-197-in-Las-Vegas

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 12,715 Mod ✭✭✭✭riffmongous

Paully D wrote: »
    5 years ago today. A shame now to think one was definitely juicing and the other probably was.

B9HrJYuCcAAstrJ.jpg
    It does not feel like 5 years!

zaHhERo.gif

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 11,101 ✭✭✭✭Foxtrol

On the rankings, that's the UFC's way of sending him a message about a new contract.

He is absolutely top 3 or 4 in the LW division and probably top 10 WW, but that never materialised.

His only losses are against the former champ, the current champ and Cowboy who went on to be #1 contender and frankly the Cowboy decision was an absolute joke, that was Bendo's fight every day of the week.

Everyone knows the UFC rankings are a joke. He may not be fan favoruite but he is absolutely someone who can challenge

I missed this tin foil hat response.

Sure the rankings dont mean much but your ranking of him at LW are just as bad as the real ones. He has recent losses to the champ, #3, #4, I'd definitely rank Khabib and Ferguson ahead of him, Alverez is debatable and that doesn't even include Conor. I think your anti UFC bias is creeping into your thinking.

UFC can't be held over the barrel to every guy who may challenge down the line, especially when they're 2/3/4 wins from a title shot. It would be total economic stupidity.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,262 ✭✭✭✭DrPhilG

Or maybe Gay Jesus can piss into wine.

I'm guessing you meant TURN piss into wine.

Otherwise that's a bizarre mental image.

DrPhilG wrote: »
    I'm guessing you meant TURN piss into wine.

Otherwise that's a bizarre mental image.

I dunno, he's made some other crazy unjustified claims in this thread so he could have meant it :eek:

Rothwell & JDS have been confirmed as the headliner for UFC Croatia. I think it could be a great fight

• Registered Users Posts: 1,269 ✭✭✭Tubbs4

http://mmajunkie.com/2016/02/ufc-197-headliner-jon-jones-cited-for-driving-without-a-license-due-in-court-wednesday

Bones turning his life around. Only getting a small bit of trouble this time by driving without a license.

Really hope he isn't pulled from the fight.

The guy must be thick, seriously, how hard can it be to just ring a ****ing taxi?

• Registered Users Posts: 6,421 ✭✭✭weemcd

Quite incredible how Jones behaves. He has a superiority complex and feels the rules don't apply to him. Cannot keep his nose out of trouble. There was him driving his car into a tree drunk after leaving a stripclub, then there was his crash where he left the scene and now this. There was also that very suspect picture on Instagram a few weeks ago that showed a baggie that could have contained coke in it on his kitchen counter - not proven of course.

He won't, but he should go to jail for this.

weemcd wrote: »
    Quite incredible how Jones behaves. He has a superiority complex and feels the rules don't apply to him. Cannot keep his nose out of trouble. There was him driving his car into a tree drunk after leaving a stripclub, then there was his crash where he left the scene and now this. There was also that very suspect picture on Instagram a few weeks ago that showed a baggie that could have contained coke in it on his kitchen counter - not proven of course.

He won't, but he should go to jail for this.
    He nose he'll get away with it, and he's right too

Il tell yous something lads I wouldn't want a kick of Rogan anyway. Reminds me of the other video where he's teaching gsp!

• Registered Users Posts: 5,885 ✭✭✭stephenl15

From the Independent in England. Very very poor.
    Cat6sXZW8AAt_6H.jpg

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 28,710 ✭✭✭✭Paully D

Rothwell & JDS have been confirmed as the headliner for UFC Croatia. I think it could be a great fight

Woohoo, Struve v Bigfoot for us Rotterdam attenders while Zagreb get this! :(

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement