Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

General MMA Chat/News mk2

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,649 ✭✭✭Whelo79

stephenl15 wrote: »
    From the Independent in England. Very very poor.
    Cat6sXZW8AAt_6H.jpg

Jesus that's just woeful. Why even bother attempt to report on something if you don't have the slightest clue about it?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,480 ✭✭✭Devastator

That newspaper clipping is absolutely ridiculous :mad: That must have let their badmington reporter do a UFC write up :rolleyes: Hendricks lost his WW title....WTF? Sums it up without talking about everything else wrong with it.
    Paully D wrote: »
    Woohoo, Struve v Bigfoot for us Rotterdam attenders while Zagreb get this! :(

Hopefully not Paully. With the amount of Dutch(past & present) UFC fighters they really need to put on something better than Struve/Bigfoot...unless they're thinking they'll get enough fans because of the popularity there without having to put on a big main event. Reem against Miocic maybe as a no1 contender fight. Or maybe Reem against Arlovski/Barnett. I know its wrong to presume but I don't see what sense there is for not putting Overeem on the card

• Registered Users Posts: 7,733 ✭✭✭ASOT

Dan hardy was ripping into the author and he said it was a slight factual error hahahaha

ASOT wrote: »
    Dan hardy was ripping into the author and he said it was a slight factual error hahahaha

:eek: theres more ****e in that article than there would be if I wiped my big hairy arse with it

Looks like Romero blew his load a bit to early by the sounds of things.

https://twitter.com/jeremybotter/status/696814029902221312

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,590 ✭✭✭CurryFlavoured

stephenl15 wrote: »
    From the Independent in England. Very very poor.
    Cat6sXZW8AAt_6H.jpg

That is honestly the stupidest thing I've ever read.

That is honestly the stupidest thing I've ever read.

His reaction to the article criticism was even worse, the mind boggles.

• Registered Users Posts: 39,192 ✭✭✭✭Mellor

He's only 14 to be fair

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,590 ✭✭✭CurryFlavoured

So he wrote an article criticising a whole sport that (as he admits himself) he hasn't a clue about, based on one fight.

• Registered Users Posts: 21,383 ✭✭✭✭martyos121

Anyone that writes those type of articles about the sport should all suffer the same fate.

Flown over to Jackson-Wink and put through the shark tank against some of the best strikers in MMA.

• Registered Users Posts: 28,710 ✭✭✭✭Paully D

Mickey Gall is 2/5 favourite vs CM Punk. Punk is a best priced 2/1.

I thought Gall would be a much stronger favourite (1/5 ish).

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 7,269 ✭✭✭Gamebred

cm punk is nearly 40 a complete white belt rookie training mma about a year,I dont see him lasting 3 minutes with Gall,the jackson fight showed nothing really but Gall is competent enough so ill be taking my chances on Gall first round.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,783 ✭✭✭✭Dtp1979

Gamebred wrote: »
    cm punk is nearly 40 a complete white belt rookie training mma about a year,I dont see him lasting 3 minutes with Gall,the jackson fight showed nothing really but Gall is competent enough so ill be taking my chances on Gall first round.

Eh punk is a former world wresting champion. I think you're forgetting punks wrestling credentials. I'm gonna put a few hundred on punk.
    Gall will be lucky not to get thrown out of the cage or get a chair across the head.

Dtp1979 wrote: »
    Eh punk is a former world wresting champion. I think you're forgetting punks wrestling credentials. I'm gonna put a few hundred on punk.
    Gall will be lucky not to get thrown out of the cage or get a chair across the head.

Even as a big pro-wrestling fan, I'll admit that is some funny shît! :D

I will be saving hard until the fight and putting a huge lump on Gall to win in round 1, because that is how certain I am of the result. As a big fan of CM Punk, I'm delighted for him to get this chance to live out another dream of his, but he knows himself it's a one-and-done, but of course he'd be stupid to say that before he fights.

The most hardcore MMA fans can criticise him all they want (I'm referring to Sherdog people here, not any of ye), but he has more balls than anyone going out in front of thousands and almost certainly being outclassed and embarrassed. Best of luck to him.

martyos121 wrote: »
    Even as a big pro-wrestling fan, I'll admit that is some funny shît! :D

I will be saving hard until the fight and putting a huge lump on Gall to win in round 1, because that is how certain I am of the result. As a big fan of CM Punk, I'm delighted for him to get this chance to live out another dream of his, but he knows himself it's a one-and-done, but of course he'd be stupid to say that before he fights.

The most hardcore MMA fans can criticise him all they want (I'm referring to Sherdog people here, not any of ye), but he has more balls than anyone going out in front of thousands and almost certainly being outclassed and embarrassed. Best of luck to him.

If he was fighting for nothing on an amauter I'd agree but if you offered anyone a few million to have a fight in the octagon they would dive on it,hes getting the best training too,I respect him but I have more respect for the people fighting for peanuts on local shows.

Paully D wrote: »
    Mickey Gall is 2/5 favourite vs CM Punk. Punk is a best priced 2/1.

I thought Gall would be a much stronger favourite (1/5 ish).

Have any Irish bookies got this priced yet? I'll be all over it tbh
    cm punk is nearly 40 a complete white belt.
    He's about 4 years of BJJ done. Unless this was the odd token class every 6 months, then he has to be at least a decent blue belt. But who knows how much he does.
    Won't make a difference though. I agree that Gall takes this in the first round. By sub. Gall is a pretty solid grappler from what I've seen.
    E
    but he has more balls than anyone going out in front of thousands and almost certainly being outclassed and embarrassed. Best of luck to him.

Meh, He is doing it for the payday, not becuse he has balls. I doubt there's anyone here who wouldn't get into the octagon a 2-0 pro for $1m

If he was fighting for nothing on an amauter I'd agree but if you offered anyone a few million to have a fight in the octagon they would dive on it,hes getting the best training too,I respect him but I have more respect for the people fighting for peanuts on local shows.

That's the thing with amateur fights though, you usually have at least a puncher's chance. Punk doesn't even have that, he's only started training his striking after he announced this venture. He's essentially going into this fight with passable-at-best BJJ and a basic striking game. He worked hard abusing his body for decades in wrestling to be famous and relevant enough to be given this opportunity, and he'll earn every penny he gets as long as he shows up for the fight.

I wouldn't expect you to be a fan of his anyway, it makes perfect sense that MMA fans aren't behind him since he hasn't worked his way up to get there and that's fine. The vast majority of pro-wrestling fans like myself though have seen how badly he's banged himself up for years and years, just for the fun of it and our entertainment. and given the way he left that business, it's nice to see him being recognised by the UFC and given his chance to step into the octagon.

Mellor wrote: »
    Meh, He is doing it for the payday, not becuse he has balls. I doubt there's anyone here who wouldn't get into the octagon a 2-0 pro for $1m

If you knew more about him you'd know he's absolutely set for life financially. He's barely spent a penny of his WWE income, he's saved nearly all of it. He's doing this because he wanted to for years, and he's doing it with the UFC because he's a huge draw with pro-wrestling fans dying to see how he does, and MMA fans wanting him to get his ass kicked.

It's mutually beneficial, but the UFC is the one seeing dollar signs, not Punk.

Sure I only got into the sport properly when Brock Lesnar fought Mir, imagine how many more wrestling fans they can draw in with this.

• Advertisement

I dont think his bjj will be any use tbh I remember reading he only done some training on and off with rener gracie on the road because reners wife was there with whose wife from the wwe,mma grappling is a whole other world too than gracie gi or even the nogi stuff he'd of been doing,

All good rolling around but add in strikes people just change completely Ive trained with wizards in the gi,they would curl up into a ball if you started striking them

Im on the Gall war wagon anyways lads

GALL via HEAD CLEAN OFF :pac:

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 12,715 Mod ✭✭✭✭riffmongous

If you knew more about him you'd know he's absolutely set for life financially. He's barely spent a penny of his WWE income, he's saved nearly all of it. He's doing this because he wanted to for years, and he's doing it with the UFC because he's a huge draw with pro-wrestling fans dying to see how he does, and MMA fans wanting him to get his ass kicked.

Sure I only got into the sport properly when Brock Lesnar fought Mir, imagine how many more wrestling fans they can draw in with this.
    I was just going to post this,while I don't like the guy particularly I don't think it's fair to say he's just doing it for the money

I'd say you've hit the nail on the head with that. I think thats the reason DW was so adamant that he wanted the punk on UFC199 card because no matter who else is on that card it'll get a fair amount of wrestling fans buying the PPV for him alone(presuming he's on main card). Its doubtful it will be a very strong card with some fights being held back for 200 so they might need a gimmick to sell it.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,604 ✭✭✭dave1982

Where does punk go on a ppv? Is he co main event? I know very little both how climbing to pro level works but I assumed you'd need a few amateur bouts before you go pro and not just wake up and decide I'm gonna be a pro mma fighter. Surprised it's even being allowed.

I was just going to post this,while I don't like the guy particularly I don't think it's fair to say he's just doing it for the money
    I never said he was just doing it for the money. I was pointing out that it's stupid to make out he's doing purely because he has the balls.
    Actually I read that only yesterday, that he handled his WWE money very well. And is more or less sorted. But being financially secure for life doesn't not mean a couple million is insignificant. A 10-sec on google suggests a net worth of 7.5m (referencing not being big spenders). I've no idea what his UFC contract might be. But it's maybe 20-40% of that net worth.
    http://www.inquisitr.com/1418188/cm-punk-and-aj-lee-diva-quitting-the-wwe-after-summerslam-2014-to-have-kids/

To be clear, I'm not saying that he hasn't wanted to do this for years also. That's clear by the fact he's been training in BJJ long before the UFC deal was ever on the table. I've also seen articles from 10 years ago where he expressed an interest in having an MMA fight.
    Obviously its mutually beneficial, they'll both make millions from this. The UFC benefit from the entire roster tbf.
    I dont think his bjj will be any use tbh I remember reading he only done some training on and off with rener gracie on the road because reners wife was there with whose wife from the wwe,mma grappling is a whole other world too than gracie gi or even the nogi stuff he'd of been doing,

He's been refereed to a s a long distance student. He's obviously not on the mats everyday. But here is it a Gracie Breakdown, from Feb 2012, his movement is not that of a total beginner. Sure, probably still actually white belt at that stage, but not a brand new no-stripe white belt.

As for the usefully of his gracie BJJ in MMA. It's my understanding that Rener's particular brand of kool-aid is geared more towards dealing with strikes, self-defence, and mma-type situations than sports BJJ.

I'm just saying I don't buy the "I'm a white belt" gimmick. Nonetheless, actually being a legit high level blue/low purple won't help in this one. Gall is a solid grappler.

dave1982 wrote: »
    Where does punk go on a ppv? Is he co main event? I know very little both how climbing to pro level works but I assumed you'd need a few amateur bouts before you go pro and not just wake up and decide I'm gonna be a pro mma fighter. Surprised it's even being allowed.

There'e no requirement to have ammy fights before turning pro. But it's unusual to not do it in this day an age.
    In saying that, he'll be 0-0 verses a 2-0 pro. He should get licensed without issue.

As for where he goes on the PPV. That's purely a promoter issue. My guess is co-main below Weidman v Rockhold rematch

http://www.mmafighting.com/2016/2/10/10959172/cm-punk-to-undergo-back-surgery-on-wednesday-ufc-debut-delayed

Well there we have it,hes out injured fight is ''delayed'',Dont believe a word of it hes changed his tune after seeing Gall win easy and crapped himself hasnt he?

• Registered Users Posts: 8,676 ✭✭✭Chong

Jesus bit ridiculous, just dont see it ever happening.

Amazing how he goes for surgery days after the Gall fight,this is his 3rd injury too his back wasnt too sore when he was lifting ariel helwani in an interview the other day complete fraud deserves no chance of fighting in the ufc absolute circus.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8,676 ✭✭✭Chong

Amazing how he goes for surgery days after the Gall fight,this is his 3rd injury too his back wasnt too sore when he was lifting ariel helwani in an interview the other day complete fraud deserves no chance of fighting in the ufc absolute circus.

It's disappointing that he it seems like he is a fraud. It is all too fishy, if he ever fights the buzz will be flat as f**k.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement