Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

New Car Statistics 2016

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,596 ✭✭✭RedorDead

Thanks for these latest updates RedorDead.

Seeing as you seem to be 'in the know' about these kind of things, I assume the petrol/diesel split is pretty much unchanged from the 10 day figures? Also, are BMW and Volvo having any success with their PHEV models?

Both manufacturers offer PHEVs at similar (or in the case of the 3 series, cheaper) prices to the cheapest diesel version in the range, but of course these PHEVs offer far superior performance, better (on paper) mpg and much lower CO2 emissions and a useful motor tax saving as well, however this is conservative Ireland and I have seen no advertising of PHEVs by BMW whatsoever. The Mitsubishi Outlander PHEV is by far the most popular model of the Outlander range in the UK (it helps that it is the same price as the diesel), so popular in fact they can't keep up with demand. Is it the same story in Ireland??

I just have access to the figures - courtesy of SIMI.

Petrol/Diesel split remains at 27.6%/70.5% with others at 1.9%

BMW have only sold 6 PHEVs in the first 25 days. 3 x I8, 2 x X5 and 1 x I3. 2 full electric I3s done also.

Volvo doing much better with 19 x XC90 PHEVs done and 1 x V60 diesel PHEV also.

Outlander PHEV sales well done on last year almost 50% down. You might have missed two massive BMW I campaigns they ran in outdoor last year on two occasions. Not sure what part of the country you were in but they were all over Dublin. Seem some MPG returns on XC90 PHEV that are way above quoted levels so real life vs on paper results are as ever wildly different.

carsfan wrote: »
    Would have thought Volvo would have gone up more what with the new xc90 out now and suv sales up again?
    Have they sold more xc90 than bmw have done x5 or Audi Q7 ?

X5 outselling both. X5 on 122, XC90 on 94 and Q7 on 86.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,862 ✭✭✭flamegrill

RedorDead wrote: »
    X5 outselling both. X5 on 122, XC90 on 94 and Q7 on 86.

the XC90 PHEV has very long lead times. Anything from 5-12 months. The normal D4 and D5 versions are at around 16 - 18 weeks. Might be a supply slow down.

I ordered a PHEV and can't get a delivery date.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 701 ✭✭✭carsfan

Redordead, are you saying that an xc90 phev can't really do a 100plus mpg?
    That would be a shock!
    But seriously what sort of numbers have you seen for these?

• Registered Users Posts: 6,472 ✭✭✭Oafley Jones

carsfan wrote: »
    Redordead, are you saying that an xc90 phev can't really do a 100plus mpg?
    That would be a shock!
    But seriously what sort of numbers have you seen for these?

Around 9L/100 if not worse for the father in laws.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 12,680 ✭✭✭✭R.O.R

I drove a Lexus RC300h demo last week. Apparently it will do 5 L/100km, and I got it to do roughly that, on the 50km/h stretch of road past the Penny Hill in Lucan, in "Normal" mode.

Soon destroyed that fuel consumption when I got on to the outer ring road. In to Sport and it was showing 10.9 L/100km by the time I got to the N81. Probably a bit harder than you'd generally drive, but there's no way you'll get 5 L/100km in normal driving. Be surprised if you see a figure lower than 9.

I drove a Lexus RC300h demo last week. Apparently it will do 5 L/100km, and I got it to do roughly that, on the 50km/h stretch of road past the Penny Hill in Lucan, in "Normal" mode.

Soon destroyed that fuel consumption when I got on to the outer ring road. In to Sport and it was showing 10.9 L/100km by the time I got to the N81. Probably a bit harder than you'd generally drive, but there's no way you'll get 5 L/100km in normal driving. Be surprised if you see a figure lower than 9.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,540 ✭✭✭Leonard Hofstadter

I just have access to the figures - courtesy of SIMI.

Petrol/Diesel split remains at 27.6%/70.5% with others at 1.9%

BMW have only sold 6 PHEVs in the first 25 days. 3 x I8, 2 x X5 and 1 x I3. 2 full electric I3s done also.

Volvo doing much better with 19 x XC90 PHEVs done and 1 x V60 diesel PHEV also.

Outlander PHEV sales well done on last year almost 50% down. You might have missed two massive BMW I campaigns they ran in outdoor last year on two occasions. Not sure what part of the country you were in but they were all over Dublin. Seem some MPG returns on XC90 PHEV that are way above quoted levels so real life vs on paper results are as ever wildly different.

Thanks for this. Good to see diesel down ever so slightly on last year, still a long way to go, but a step in the right direction all the same:).

Not surprised re i3 and i8 sales, I did think more X5 xDrive40e's would be sold but I suppose no advertising has been done. I would assume though that anyone spending the best part of €70k on a car would do some research, though rather than just buying the diesel without considering an alternative.

I do agree that the only way a PHEV will deliver its stated mpg is if you use it in a particular way, someone who drives out of town mostly won't get any benefit over a diesel, but a lot of expensive SUVs are used by yummy mummys who don't do a lot of out of town driving so they might actually get the claimed fuel savings, also there would be the kudos of driving something (perceived to be) very 'green'. I don't live in Ireland so I didn't see the campaigns BMW did on their i range, they were heavily advertised in the UK (where I live) and I have seen a fair few i3s.

I don't think I've seen a single current model diesel Outlander over here, every single one has been for the PHEV. Surprising how many there are around actually (relatively speaking). BMW haven't done any advertising of the plug in 3 series or X5 over here either, in fact I wasn't aware that the cars had gone on sale until I saw the recent BMW 330e thread that they were and I would consider myself as someone who is up to date on what the manufacturers are selling!

So final numbers in for the month. Market finished at 39,810 an increase of 10,000 or 34%. Hyundai took back top spot with almost 2,500 Tucsons in a month :eek: BMW went backwards too and fell out of the top 10 and were overtaken by Audi

Top Sellers for the month:

1. Hyundai 5062
    2. Toyota 4852
    3. Ford 4381
    4. VW 3747
    5. Nissan 2830
    6. Renault 2421
    7. Skoda 2203
    8. Opel 2063
    9. Kia 1564
    10. Audi 1550
    11. BMW 1306
    12. Peugeot 1159
    13. Dacia 1155
    14. Mercedes 906
    15. Mazda 851

Top Selling Models:

1. Tucson 2480
    2. Focus 1606
    3. Corolla 1361
    4. Fiesta 1282
    5. Golf 1254
    6. Octavia 1135
    7. Yaris 1055
    8. Qashqai 1029
    9. Auris 958
    10. Clio 799
    11. Passat 744
    12. Avensis 697
    13. Kadjar 682
    14. Astra 676
    15. Polo 655

• Registered Users Posts: 199 ✭✭CorkMan_

......Hyundai took back top spot with almost 2,500 Tucsons in a month :eek: .....

I've seen an awful lot alright, though I have to admit looks wise it's a big step up from the previous model. Apart from their looks I know nothing about them!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,159 ✭✭✭Stallingrad

It's a handsome car alright, Audi meets Evoque on the cheap. The driving experience and interior are a bit meh, but price and warranty help. Qashqai's crown has been well and truly stolen. Interesting that VW have nothing decent to offer in this popular sector.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,858 ✭✭✭Bigcheeze

Interesting that VW have nothing decent to offer in this popular sector.

Tiguan?

• Registered Users Posts: 51,202 ✭✭✭✭bazz26

The Tiguan has been around since 2008, it's been replaced by an all new model later this year.

Bigcheeze wrote: »
    Tiguan?

As I said, nothing decent.

• Registered Users Posts: 343 ✭✭sleepyholland

thanks RedorDead for the updates. It's interesting reading.

If you have a chance can you tell us how many Cactuses/Cactii(?) Citroen have sold. Genuinely curious as I thought their 0% PCP / 4k Scrappage would help shift a few motors.

• Registered Users Posts: 101 ✭✭Shermanator

So as a Model, the Dacia Duster is performing ahead of any Audi or Mercedes model

• Registered Users Posts: 81,988 ✭✭✭✭Atlantic Dawn
    M

Tucson figures are insane, completely out of nowhere, is it clearer now if they are majority pre reg or if they are all actual sales?

Anyone got UK January sales figures? I can only get December 2015 but for that month Hyundai had just 2.93% over there.

http://www.smmt.co.uk/category/news-registration-cars/

• Registered Users Posts: 12,917 ✭✭✭✭Toyotafanboi

A lot more people would be in the Dacia price range than Merc or Audi, lets not act like it's poor taste or a willingness towards poverty alone that's selling Dacias.

• Registered Users Posts: 349 ✭✭deathtocaptcha

So as a Model, the Dacia Duster is performing ahead of any Audi or Mercedes model

1 A4 or C Class costs more than 2 new Dacia Dusters...

• Registered Users Posts: 51,202 ✭✭✭✭bazz26

Tucson figures are insane, completely out of nowhere, is it clearer now if they are majority pre reg or if they are all actual sales?

I'd doubt Hyundai need to pre rep any Tucsons, pretty much any stock that's coming in is finding a new home quickly.

• Advertisement

thanks RedorDead for the updates. It's interesting reading.

If you have a chance can you tell us how many Cactuses/Cactii(?) Citroen have sold. Genuinely curious as I thought their 0% PCP / 4k Scrappage would help shift a few motors.

62 Cactii :confused: done in January. Down from 95 from last January. Citroen in general had an awful month despite all their 0% finance and scrappage offers of 4k. Down 75 cars to 297 at the end of January.

Duster sold 588. Top 5 premium below. Premium brands generally have a better spread of sellers. Dacia basically just sell duster and sandero.

Audi A3 374
    BMW 5 SERIES 364
    Audi A4 327
    Audi A6 321
    BMW 3 SERIES 239

62 Cactii :confused: done in January. Down from 95 from last January. Citroen in general had an awful month despite all their 0% finance and scrappage offers of 4k. Down 75 cars to 297 at the end of January.

Are DS now listed as a seperate manufacturer for the statistics? Coming through as a different manufacturer on my data since late last year - might explain why figures are down.

Importer changed late last year too and they seem to be in a bit of a mess. Still waiting on pricing for 2016, and a DS3 I ordered in September.....

Duster sold 588. Top 5 premium below. Premium brands generally have a better spread of sellers. Dacia basically just sell duster and sandero.

Audi A3 374
    BMW 5 SERIES 364
    Audi A4 327
    Audi A6 321
    BMW 3 SERIES 239

3 series being destroyed by Audi, it's had it's Lci and the replacement is over 2 years away. Not surprised really as BMW does not see to know what it's USP is anymore.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,284 ✭✭✭cros13

I don't live in Ireland so I didn't see the campaigns BMW did on their i range, they were heavily advertised in the UK (where I live) and I have seen a fair few i3s.

I don't think I've seen a single current model diesel Outlander over here, every single one has been for the PHEV. Surprising how many there are around actually (relatively speaking). BMW haven't done any advertising of the plug in 3 series or X5 over here either, in fact I wasn't aware that the cars had gone on sale until I saw the recent BMW 330e thread that they were and I would consider myself as someone who is up to date on what the manufacturers are selling!

I drive an i3 :). 35,000km on her since March. They did billboard campaigns in Dublin and Cork last year.
    The 330e and 225xe are not only not advertised on the BMW/Dealer sites, they are not even on the price lists or configurators.

There were only 9 Outlander PHEVs sold in Ireland in January, out of 127. In the UK more than half the outlanders sold are PHEVs. The factors in that are basic lack of knowledge on the consumer side, lack of knowledge or interest from dealers and the PHEV having a slightly higher price over here (whereas in the UK it's the same price as the diesel). The biggest issue is benefit in kind, until March the outlander PHEV is 0% BIK in the UK, there is no such benefit over here.

Where I work there are two i3s, two Leafs and two Outlander PHEVs (one english reg commuter from NI) in the garage.

One big problem with the reporting has been the mention of EV sales being down.... EV registrations are down but EV sales are more than double last year. The issue is that Nissan has not been able to register/deliver MY2016 Leafs because of a telematics issue and over 100 of them are sitting at the dealers for almost a month waiting on a software patch. A lot of pissed off people waiting (including my dad who is swapping a 141 Leaf for a 161).... the cars are perfectly driveable but nissan doesn't want to let them go until the f*ing smartphone app can control the heater.

• Registered Users Posts: 160 ✭✭vistaphotos

bazz26 wrote: »
    I'd doubt Hyundai need to pre rep any Tucsons, pretty much any stock that's coming in is finding a new home quickly.

Agreed, that's the feedback I got from the dealer when I collected an i30 in January having ordered back in November on the back of a scrappage deal now extended again to the end of Februrary. That scrappage along with spec, price, warranty etc. must be appealing to buyers.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 22,847 ✭✭✭✭Shannon757

Anyone know where you could get truck/tractor sales statistics?

• Registered Users Posts: 5,532 ✭✭✭Zonda999

Does anyone have any idea at this stage, what percentage of these cars were bought on finance? I'd love to know is that percentage on a general upward trend too.

Amazing to see Hyundai on top of that chart too, although in fairness, if you consider the Auris/Corolla to be Toyota's overall offering in that general C segment, their combined sales are similar. The Tucson is an interesting one, personally I think the Qashqai is a much better looking car but there's obviously some reason people are flocking to the Tucson, the warranty is longer on the Hyundai but other than that, I didn't think there would be that much in it in terms of spec/financing options. Surely, marketing comes into it as well, Hyundai have been going nuts on the marketing front in the Irish market in the last while

• Registered Users Posts: 3,381 ✭✭✭vintagevrs

cros13 wrote: »
    I drive an i3 :). 35,000km on her since March. They did billboard campaigns in Dublin and Cork last year.
    The 330e and 225xe are not only not advertised on the BMW/Dealer sites, they are not even on the price lists or configurators.

The prices are up, just not on config yet. Dealers can quote though. Options are cheaper on them as VRT is less. Makes a small but noticeable difference.

Starting at 330e SE €41,030 to 330e M Sport at €45,060 .

http://external.bmw.ie/sausage/templates/BMW2015/pdf/BMWModelRangePricelist.pdf

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 701 ✭✭✭carsfan

I'm interested in a 330e but dealer says they're not coming into the country until late March so I presume they are waiting until then to start promoting them.
    These phev cars will be only of interest to a minority for a good while I guess.

Advertisement