Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

New Car Statistics 2016

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 5,490 ✭✭✭stefanovich

Is buying a car new actually sane unless you are loaded? What are the benefits other than impressing the neighbours and the smell?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,102 ✭✭✭✭Drummerboy08

Is buying a car new actually sane unless you are loaded? What are the benefits other than impressing the neighbours and the smell?

No maintenance costs, new car in the spec and colour you want, latest technology, safer than most 10 year old cars.....

Where do you think second hand cars come from?

No maintenance costs, new car in the spec and colour you want, latest technology, safer than most 10 year old cars.....

Where do you think second hand cars come from?

Of course I know where second hand cars come from and believe me I'd love to drop 50,000 on a new car but I can't justify the cost of depreciation. The reasons you have given do not justify it in my mind unless you have money to burn.

• Registered Users Posts: 81,988 ✭✭✭✭Atlantic Dawn
    M

The start of the PCP deals seems to have been around 2013 or so, will those cars now flood the secondhand market with the 3 years on the plans finishing up?

The start of the PCP deals seems to have been around 2013 or so, will those cars now flood the secondhand market with the 3 years on the plans finishing up?
    Yeah all the people who can't pay the second deposit will realise they were spoofed. PCP (Poor can't pay). AKA financial darwinism.

• Advertisement

Yeah all the people who can't pay the second deposit will realise they were spoofed. PCP (Poor can't pay). AKA financial darwinism.

Fairly narrow minded opinion there.....

Don't think anyone was spoofed nor were they forced to sign up.

Wouldn't say they'll flood the market, PCP didn't really take off until 2014.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,244 ✭✭✭swarlb

00so wrote: »
    Delighted for them after the way they treated their customers (when they actually had some)

Who are 'they', and why are you delighted for them. Think... before you reply, and is your reply based on fact, or hearsay...
    And before you reply... who actually is in charge of 'them'.... Think !

• Registered Users Posts: 51,202 ✭✭✭✭bazz26

Nothing like some good old Irish begrudging.

Maybe some people have a crazy notion of spending their money how they please rather than trying to send out a statement to others. Some people seem to forget that without people buying new cars, there would be no second hand cars for the rest to buy.

• Registered Users Posts: 276 ✭✭tara83

Of course I know where second hand cars come from and believe me I'd love to drop 50,000 on a new car but I can't justify the cost of depreciation. The reasons you have given do not justify it in my mind unless you have money to burn.

For me I'd love to have the disposable funds to buy a €50k new car. I don't but would rather a new €25k ish then spend that on a 2nd hand premium car due to maintenance costs etc. Especially when I'm not mechanically minded.

• Advertisement

tara83 wrote: »
    For me I'd love to have the disposable funds to buy a €50k new car. I don't but would rather a new €25k ish then spend that on a 2nd hand premium car due to maintenance costs etc. Especially when I'm not mechanically minded.

What's 25k gonna buy you? Dacia Duster? Oh please god no.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,611 ✭✭✭Valetta

bazz26 wrote: »
    Nothing like some good old Irish begrudging.

Maybe some people have a crazy notion of spending their money how they please rather than trying to send out a statement to others. Some people seem to forget that without people buying new cars, there would be no second hand cars for the rest to buy.

This is it in a nutshell.

Why do people buy new televisions, laptops, kettles, bicycles, furniture suites etc.?

All these can be bought second hand. Yet there is not the same flabberghastedness * when they are bought new.

* May or may not be an actual word.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,401 ✭✭✭Nonoperational

Lol. I think you don't understand what PCP is. Especially at 0 or 1.9% APR. Second deposit? Ah ha.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,615 ✭✭✭ba_barabus

What's 25k gonna buy you.

Lots of nice cars, my mother's picking her new car up on Saturday and trading in here 131 reg with 29k kms.

You're confusing me a lot. You seem to think it's mad to drop 50k on a new car and madder still to drop less on a car without a premium badge? Is this the first case of inverted snobbery on boards?

Lol. I think you don't understand what PCP is. Especially at 0 or 1.9% APR. Second deposit? Ah ha.

I think he's referring to what Homer Simpson calls the crippling debt repayment (final payment) you pay if you want to take ownership of the car at the end of the deal. Most people just trade the car in for a new one to avoid that

• Registered Users Posts: 276 ✭✭tara83

What's 25k gonna buy you? Dacia Duster? Oh please god no.

A quick search on carzone brings up 130 options.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,646 ✭✭✭walus

25k to spend? Jesus try getting a decent family car with less than 6k like I have had to do this past 10 years. I'd love not to have that problem and drive away in a new car every 3-5 years. But then again different people different issues.

”Where’s the revolution? Come on, people you’re letting me down!”

• Registered Users Posts: 4,159 ✭✭✭Stallingrad

ba_barabus wrote: »
    I think he's referring to what Homer Simpson calls the crippling debt repayment (final payment) you pay if you want to take ownership of the car at the end of the deal. Most people just trade the car in for a new one to avoid that

Doesn't the trade in just cover the balloon payment on the car, meaning they now have to come up with a new deposit again?

Doesn't the trade in just cover the balloon payment on the car, meaning they now have to come up with a new deposit again?

No. It doesn't.

There's usually up to 22% equity in most deals once the GFV is cleared.

I'm not am expert on it. Any I looked I was using my car as an up front deposit. After 3 years of repayments there was then the final payment owed. There could be other ways to structure it though.

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 59 ✭✭I own an applewatch

New cars are solely for smug twats, just remember that.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,952 ✭✭✭JamboMac

One day I'd like to be one of them, cos this 15 year golf mk4 is a pain my hole.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 59 ✭✭I own an applewatch

JamboMac wrote: »
    One day I'd like to be one of them, cos this 15 year golf mk4 is a pain my hole.

Buy a car that's 3 years old and save 33%, it'll also save you from smug twateshness and the associated negative karma that all new car buyers face.

What a revolting statement it is to buy a new car.

So are apple watches :D

• Site Banned Posts: 1,765 ✭✭✭Pugzilla

Lots of jealous poor people on here

What a revolting statement it is to buy a new car.

rqdoz4jjntyt.png

• Registered Users Posts: 15,816 ✭✭✭✭AMKC
    Ms

pcardin wrote: »
    Very ulgy and sad list. Depressive tbh. :(

It ain,t that bad. Some of them Golfs are probably GTIs or Golf Rs. The Fiesta and Clio are both good cars. If I were to choose it would be the Fiesta for me. The Kadjar is a good car. The Octavia is a good car too if a bit more boring compared to the last model. Some of them are VRs maybe.

What would you like to see on the list?

Live long and Prosper

Peace and long life.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,816 ✭✭✭✭AMKC
    Ms

pcardin wrote: »
    Very ulgy and sad list. Depressive tbh. :(

It ain,t that bad. Some of them Golfs are probably GTIs or Golf Rs. The Fiesta and Clio are both good cars. If I were to choose it would be the Fiesta for me. The Kadjar is a good car. The Octavia is a good car too if a bit more boring compared to the last model. Some of them are VRs maybe.

What would you like to see on the list?

Live long and Prosper

Peace and long life.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,611 ✭✭✭Valetta

Every single car on the road today was bought new.

That's an awful lot of smug twats.

Or..... just maybe they're the smart ones that have made something of their lives and are enjoying the fruits of their efforts, safe in the knowledge that there will always be sad bitter people around to pick up their off acts when they decide to trade up.

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 4,794 ✭✭✭Jesus.

walus wrote: »
    Jesus try getting a decent family car with less than 6k .

Leave it with me

Advertisement