Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Cold Spell January 9th to 16th 2016

Options

Comments

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 11,841 Mod ✭✭✭✭Meteorite58

5.3C in Ardfert, Co. Kerry with a recent rain shower ( warmest part of Ireland by the looks of it )

Breezy

okZwrNO.png

• Registered Users Posts: 18,114 ✭✭✭✭JCX BXC

Virginia must have feet of snow at this stage!

• Registered Users Posts: 5,565 ✭✭✭Pangea

Villain wrote: »
    Nothing as frustrating as living in the South East and wanting snow showers from a North Westerly, anything does make this far will be most likely be heavy dandruff!

Try living in the North-west and anything that falls is Heavy Dandruff

• Registered Users Posts: 8,800 ✭✭✭Senna

Carnacalla wrote: »
    Virginia must have feet of snow at this stage!

Those heavy showers seem to just break up after they hit Cavan

Pangea wrote: »

Try living in West Clare and anything that falls is fe*king rain!

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 6,995 ✭✭✭Schadenfreudia

The 7pm "latest weather" at ME has snow showers at both DA and Casement with a temperature of zero.

Nothing here; we are shielded (as usual) from the few remnants of NW showers that make it to the west and north of the city.

The 7pm "latest weather" at ME has snow showers at both DA and Casement with a temperature of zero.

Nothing here; we are shielded (as usual) from the few remnants of NW showers that make it to the west and north of the city.

Which is quite unusual, as the 7pm METARS (Aviation weather reports) had no percip at either airport.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,719 ✭✭✭JaMarcusHustle

What's it like in Kilkenny tonight, anybody know?

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 6,995 ✭✭✭Schadenfreudia

Carnacalla wrote: »
    Which is quite unusual, as the 7pm METARS (Aviation weather reports) had no percip at either airport.

I'd tend to go with the witnesses at the stations!

The rainfall radar often has it raining here when there is none actually reaching the ground.

Checked again; the reports at 19:00 actually say "recent snow", which might explain things...

• Registered Users Posts: 15,944 ✭✭✭✭Villain

Disappointment

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 4,816 ✭✭✭Baggy Trousers

Senna wrote: »

Was nearly blizzard conditions in East Donegal an hour ago, good 2 inches at the moment.

That's sexy looking snow!! :)

• Registered Users Posts: 104 ✭✭MissMoc

Is it just me or does the Rain Today App seem to be getting accurate each year? Any better alternatives?

• Registered Users Posts: 7,125 ✭✭✭pad199207

That's sexy looking snow!! :)

Ah but the snow from the east is just sooo much more sexier! 😂

• Registered Users Posts: 366 ✭✭kittyn

pad199207 wrote: »
    Ah but the snow from the east is just sooo much more sexier! 😂

Just currently non existent :(

• Registered Users Posts: 33,730 ✭✭✭✭RobertKK

There was a shower in western Kilkenny missed me as another went to my east a few hours ago.
    Currently air temperatures below freezing and a wind chill near -6C.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 16,734 Mod ✭✭✭✭Gonzo

Villain wrote: »
    Disappointment

Of all the pathetic attempts at cold spells from the west, this one is probably one of the worst considering the eye candy we were getting about a week ago.

The funny thing is it hasnt even been that cold, nothing out of the ordinary with temps of 4-6C most days and temps barely touching 0C at night. In the past week I have managed to see 2 night time frosts melt by 10am and a few minutes of snow earlier this evening. Perhaps tonights frost will last into the morning but it looks like things will slowly get milder from tomorrow with plenty of mild from Sunday onwards into all of next week. Lets hope we start to see more eye candy appear from the east soon as we are now into the second half of winter.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,125 ✭✭✭pad199207

2010 has ruined us all! We expect far too much from our winters now!

• Registered Users Posts: 6,235 ✭✭✭Oneiric 3

Try living in West Clare and anything that falls is fe*king rain!

Try living in-between, that is when you'll truly come to know infinite tenebrosity.

New Moon

• Registered Users Posts: 104 ✭✭MissMoc

Lightly snowing and picking up now - Tullamore

• Registered Users Posts: 437 ✭✭RuthieRose

Pelting big chunky flakes of snow in Cavan again

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 32,688 ✭✭✭✭ytpe2r5bxkn0c1

Storm 10 wrote: »
    Met Eireann said tonight wet and windy weather moving in Sunday certainly no mention by them of what you say

Living on the border I usually go by the UK Met office forecasts for our area and they show light flurries tonight then dry bar 20% chance of a shower Sat night and Sun morning.

• Registered Users Posts: 33,730 ✭✭✭✭RobertKK

Gonzo wrote: »
    Of all the pathetic attempts at cold spells from the west, this one is probably one of the worst considering the eye candy we were getting about a week ago.

The funny thing is it hasnt even been that cold, nothing out of the ordinary with temps of 4-6C most days and temps barely touching 0C at night. In the past week I have managed to see 2 night time frosts melt by 10am and a few minutes of snow earlier this evening. Perhaps tonights frost will last into the morning but it looks like things will slowly get milder from tomorrow with plenty of mild from Sunday onwards into all of next week. Lets hope we start to see more eye candy appear from the east soon as we are now into the second half of winter.

My weather station briefly reached 3.7C today.
    Mean temperature is going to be around 0.8C or lower for the 24 hour day.
    A month ago on the 14th the mean temperature was 9.2C which was one of the cooler days for that very mild period.
    It is a normal cold spell.

Hope we get snow soon and real cold if it is coming, if one could order the weather...better than getting winter in Spring.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,466 ✭✭✭Lumi

Light snow falling in Galway city atm

• Registered Users Posts: 168 ✭✭FirefighterT7

Any snow near Sligo atm??

Temp here in West Clare in currently an absolute ridiculous +4.3c. No chance of wintry percip it seems :(

Or even frost!

• Registered Users Posts: 3,516 ✭✭✭irish1967

Did the snow cause a rip in the time space continuum or did I just lose nearly two hours of this thread ?

Nope, we just broke 2 hours of silence.

• Registered Users Posts: 48,137 ✭✭✭✭km79

irish1967 wrote: »
    Did the snow cause a rip in the time space continuum or did I just lose nearly two hours of this thread ?

Boards has been acting up for me anyway

• Registered Users Posts: 3,516 ✭✭✭irish1967

I thought a snowflake fell in Dublin and the site crashed.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 6,466 ✭✭✭Lumi

irish1967 wrote: »
    Ongoing issues with the site tonight
    http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=2057503701&page=53

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement