Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Cold Spell January 9th to 16th 2016

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 32,634 ✭✭✭✭Graces7

It was rainbow morning here.... double one at brief times. 19msm1.jpg

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 14,994 Mod ✭✭✭✭AndyBoBandy

Was that just cause of the welcome you gave her :pac:

Perhaps I shouldn't have left the windows in her room open, and closed the valve on the radiator.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,944 ✭✭✭✭Villain

A northwesterly rarely delivers much Snow except for obviously in the north.

We can but dream of December 2010 when most saw some lying snow

24368964116_471c9f2312_b.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 6,894 ✭✭✭pauldry

Pretzill wrote: »
    -2 still on my barometer in the yard - albeit in a sheltered spot - but then I'm more inland - are you nearer the sea there?

Inland sligo was sub zero last night

Sligo town 3c

Just a hail showers leftovers on ground at 8am

• Registered Users Posts: 570 ✭✭✭gugsy

Witnessed something close to it once. Rain freezing once it hit the ground. Lethal stuff

We had that Christmas day 09 or 10 in Galway City where it rained on top of icy roads and froze instantly was fun driving in estates where brakes didnt matter. :o

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 104 ✭✭Mafra

Villain wrote: »
    A northwesterly rarely delivers much Snow except for obviously in the north.

We can but dream of December 2010 when most saw some lying snow

What an absolutely beautiful image! ðŸ˜

• Registered Users Posts: 2,889 ✭✭✭JanuarySnowstor

More or less had freezing rain all week in cork as we had light showers all week during the night. Roads were v poor as a result.

As for tonight I would think that the mild air associated with this rain will prevent such an occuronce. Imo would be more likely if the rain moved in just before dawn with the ground already frozen

• Registered Users Posts: 863 ✭✭✭Rooy

Rooy wrote: »
    Beautiful clear day in Cork , should be a decent EOSDIS satellite pic today with clear sky and show some snow cover, will copy it up later if so

Bit hard to sometimes distinguish cloud and snow , but Northwest looks like lying snow over a large area :
    ScreenHunter_214%20Jan.%2015%2014.01.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 981 ✭✭✭mountainy man

Very cool Rooy, thanks, I can see exactly where I am on that, second ridge to the left of Lough Allen, very white!

• Registered Users Posts: 13,268 ✭✭✭✭fits

weisses wrote: »
    Different cold though ?

A friend from Canada has more trouble with the cold here then back home

Don't let anyone tell you that -32 is tolerable. You wrap up for it with layers and nearly die from heat before you get outside. First breath outside and you have a coughing fit as your lungs struggle to cope with cold dry air. Then the hairs in your nose freeze, your eyelashes freeze, your breath freezes on your face. Any bit of exposed skin hurts. Up to -25 is sort of ok but it really sucks below that.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 4,816 ✭✭✭Baggy Trousers

gugsy wrote: »
    We had that Christmas day 09 or 10 in Galway City where it rained on top of icy roads and froze instantly was fun driving in estates where brakes didnt matter. :o

I remember that. It was unbelievable. I have never seen anything quite like it. I was on way to Salthill swim (around 11am). The rain hit the compacted ice/snow on the roads and froze instantly. I would fancy my driving skills even in icy conditions but it was almost undriveable.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 16,734 Mod ✭✭✭✭Gonzo

can see from that aeriel shot of Ireland that the dusting of snow came just as far as Dunshaughlin and stops east and south of it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,502 ✭✭✭q85dw7osi4lebg

Current precipitation from Raintoday:

Band to the West is moving East, and the band to the North is moving SSE?

Anyone know if this band to the west is expected to make it inland as rain?

Just curious given that it will freeze over pretty swiftly after dark today. :cool:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,520 ✭✭✭nagdefy

It looks like the Atlantic may see the month of January out from Sunday on. We still hopefully have time for the chance of a decent cold spell during February. And the chance of snowfall for the southern part of the country.

I was just looking at this met.ie attachment on snowfall records at met stations in the republic and 6 out of 14 were set from 1st February until the 8th March. As i'm a new user i can't post a link but here's a rough guide of date and snow depth in cm.

Belmullet 17cm 24/01/1958
    Birr 13cm 10/01/1982
    Casement Aerodrome 45cm 31/12/1962
    Claremorris 20cm 27/01/1984
    Clones 25cm 15/02/1973
    Cork Airport 26cm 20/2/1978
    Dublin Airport 25cm 12/01/1982
    Kilkenny 18cm 27/02/1962
    Malin Head 38cm 19/01/1958
    Mullingar 15cm 08/03/1951
    Roches Point 10cm 27/02/1962
    Rosslare 18cm 18/01/1985
    Shannon Airport 6cm 11/02/1978
    Valentia 12cm 22/01/1958

Maybe a SSW will rejig things a little. 10 days is really the max of our ability to predict, that date just brings us up to 25th January.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,170 ✭✭✭WheatenBriar

This is croghan Moira mountain in South Wicklow just now as seen from Bolands carpark in Arklow, its been snow covered since Saturday evening last

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,576 ✭✭✭patneve2

nagdefy wrote: »
    It looks like the Atlantic may see the month of January out from Sunday on. We still hopefully have time for the chance of a decent cold spell during February. And the chance of snowfall for the southern part of the country.

I was just looking at this met.ie attachment on snowfall records at met stations in the republic and 6 out of 14 were set from 1st February until the 8th March. As i'm a new user i can't post a link but here's a rough guide of date and snow depth in cm.

Birr 13cm 10/01/1982
    Clones 25cm 15/02/1973
    Kilkenny 18cm 27/02/1962
    Rosslare 18cm 18/01/1985
    Valentia 12cm 22/01/1958

Maybe a SSW will rejig things a little. 10 days is really the max of our ability to predict, that date just brings us up to 25th January.

Many weather enthusiasts from around Europe are quietly confident about a stratospheric warming towards the end of January/start of February...we'll see

• Registered Users Posts: 2,530 ✭✭✭Car99

Birr 13cm 10/01/1982
    Clones 25cm 15/02/1973
    Kilkenny 18cm 27/02/1962
    Rosslare 18cm 18/01/1985
    Valentia 12cm 22/01/1958

Jez the record for SNN airport is just under 2 1/2 inches

The most recent record on your list is 1985 , 31 years ago , this global warming is no fun.

I know a few stations like Kilkenny, Birr etc closed in 2008/2009. But snow depths in areas like those wouldn't have broken any depth records in 2009 and 2010. Casement, Mullingar and most other stations are in operation right through 2009 and 2010 until today so those older dates are correct.

I know a few stations like Kilkenny, Birr etc closed in 2008/2009. But snow depths in areas like those wouldn't have broken any depth records in 2009 and 2010. Casement, Mullingar and most other stations are in operation right through 2009 and 2010 until today so those older dates are correct.

Stations are sparse tbh and 2010 broke most of those here in the East e.g. 38cm in Tullow

14995583484_2d2994a9b0_c.jpgP1000519 by WeatherSnapper, on Flickr

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,170 ✭✭✭WheatenBriar

Car99 wrote: »
    Jez the record for SNN airport is just under 2 1/2 inches

The most recent record on your list is 1985 , 31 years ago , this global warming is no fun.

Youve got to remember that for snow, very few of those main stations are in favoured locations
    None from Dub south along the coast until Rosslare for instance or north to Newry
    How many in Donegal? Malin head and perhaps Finner?
    No accurate records of streamers exist or not enough Anyhow
    The stations are reasonably located to give a picture of our normal climate eg rain but snow is a different animal
    The list above does not include any snow measured by official met rain recording stations maintained by private individuals either
    I'm not even sure if thats collated other than in rain equivalent without snow even being mentioned
    I do know on the daily report sheet,weather of the day can be recorded but afaik its then heads for a dusty file

• Advertisement

Agreed re. sparse stations. Carlow, Wicklow, Kildare Wexford areas among others had very heavy snowfalls which broke records at local stations in 2010. Probably that bit further east in Leinster didn't. I remember there being a marked differenc in snow depth between Carlow town and Tullow even, with Carlow getting much less snow. All these things events have a local element.

Because of my location in Laois on the Carlow, Kilkenny border at 336m asl some of my biggest snowfall events are hill snow ones. Tuesday 12th January 2010 gave us a massive snowfall event and we couldn't travel for about a week. I didn't measure it at the time but have some great photos. Also around Tuesday 8th Jan 1991 and March 30th 2010 are memorable. If you remember January 1987 it was an amazing snowfall in the east. I'm not sure if Tullow area got as much snow then as 2010?

Youve got to remember that for snow, very few of those main stations are in favoured locations
    None from Dub south along the coast until Rosslare for instance or north to Newry
    How many in Donegal? Malin head and perhaps Finner?
    No accurate records of streamers exist or not enough Anyhow
    The stations are reasonably located to give a picture of our normal climate eg rain but snow is a different animal
    The list above does not include any snow measured by official met rain recording stations maintained by private individuals either
    I'm not even sure if thats collated other than in rain equivalent without snow even being mentioned
    I do know on the daily report sheet,weather of the day can be recorded but afaik its then heads for a dusty file

Agreed totally. I suppose what i mean to imply is February can break records and could deliver us some serious wintry weather :) I don't know why i wish for it sometimes when it'll freeze water pipes to cattle etc on the farm.

• Registered Users Posts: 246 ✭✭littlema

Ah, but look at the dates of those record falls besides the months........latest one is 1985 !!!!!

Agreed re. sparse stations. Carlow, Wicklow, Kildare Wexford areas among others had very heavy snowfalls which broke records at local stations in 2010. Probably that bit further east in Leinster didn't. I remember there being a marked differenc in snow depth between Carlow town and Tullow even, with Carlow getting much less snow. All these things events have a local element.

Because of my location in Laois on the Carlow, Kilkenny border at 336m asl some of my biggest snowfall events are hill snow ones. Tuesday 12th January 2010 gave us a massive snowfall event and we couldn't travel for about a week. I didn't measure it at the time but have some great photos. Also around Tuesday 8th Jan 1991 and March 30th 2010 are memorable. If you remember January 1987 it was an amazing snowfall in the east. I'm not sure if Tullow area got as much snow then as 2010?

Yep there was a big difference between Tullow and Carlow Town less than 15km away. Tullow being closer to higher elevation on its East side obviously helped.

There are some old photos of 1987 at home no measurements but it wasn't as much as 2010 for sure.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,114 ✭✭✭✭JCX BXC

Seems I won't see a frost tonight, cloud and light rain rolled in here and a temp now of 6.1c. I'd say this cloud will keep the temp up all night.

Saturday night's forecast has also changed from a min of -6 to a min of only -2.

Villain wrote: »
    Yep there was a big difference between Tullow and Carlow Town less than 15km away. Tullow being closer to higher elevation on its East side obviously helped.

There are some old photos of 1987 at home no measurements but it wasn't as much as 2010 for sure.

As regards depth of cold 1987 is the only spell of weather i remember that was like Jan 6th to Jan 9th 2010 and December 2010. It was only for 3-4 days but -20C 850 HPA temps were heading out of the UK towards us. I was 11 and in primary school it was the first time i we stopped throwing snowballs as the pain in our hands was shooting through us! Cork city was -6C at the lunchtime radio met forecast on the coldest day. Very rare for them.

We'll see it again. In the 2000s we were told we'd never see the likes of 1982 and 1987 again and then along comes 2010. Some of us might be a bit too old for snowballs when it happens though :-D

• Registered Users Posts: 33,730 ✭✭✭✭RobertKK

We live on the same series of hills, the Castlecomer plateau. Last big hill snow event was that blizzard at the end of March 2010 as you mention, and that 1991 event was great got off school early in Comer, bus got us so far and my father had to come on the tractor to get us the rest of the way.
    2010 March blizzard was epic, it would smother you.
    The snow as seen in the following tweet was over 3 feet deep.
    https://twitter.com/Kilkenny_Met/status/688052859712237568

• Registered Users Posts: 13,523 ✭✭✭✭sryanbruen

RobertKK wrote: »
    We live on the same series of hills, the Castlecomer plateau. Last big hill snow event was that blizzard at the end of March 2010 as you mention, and that 1991 event was great got off school early in Comer, bus got us so far and my father had to come on the tractor to get us the rest of the way.
    The snow as seen in the following tweet was over 3 feet deep.
    https://twitter.com/Kilkenny_Met/status/688052859712237568

I don't remember experiencing this blizzard, but I sure remember experiencing the very wet day of March 29th, 2010. I like watching this though on that blizzard.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lxO3amV4riE

RobertKK wrote: »

We're neighbours alright Robert! I'd be at the top of the Gortahuile Windfarm end. Are you Castlewarren?

Myself and my brother had to be rescued by tractor in Jan 1991 too. We were the last 2 to get out of boarding school. A lot of lads from the Wicklow mountains around Hollywood etc got home before us. Great pics from 31st March 2010. That was one raw night to be out (30th March).

• Advertisement

sryanbruen wrote: »
    I don't remember experiencing this blizzard, but I sure remember experiencing the very wet day of March 29th, 2010. I like watching this though on that blizzard.

Dublin was not hit i'm pretty sure, bar the mountains. It would have been a high ground event. It was -1c air temp and a blizzard from 7pm 30th March until about 5am 31st March.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement