Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Cold Spell January 9th to 16th 2016

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,170 ✭✭✭WheatenBriar

Rikand wrote: »
    Quick noob question regarding ice and frost :)

When there's cloud cover, this prevents ice/frost from forming as the cloud acts as a blanket and keeps the warm air from the earths surface trapped.

What happens when there's clear skies to start the night, the ground freezes and then a layer of cloud cover roles in several hours later ? Does it trap in the cold air thus continuing the freeze, or does the subsequent cloud cover allow the ice/frost to thaw/disappear ?
    Depends on the source of the cloud and airflow bringing it
    Normally in our climate cloud cover melts frost
    Obvious extreme exceptions for example like at times in Nov Dec 2010

That's the end of the snow for the foreseeable future, yes.

Agreed
    Its Curtains
    I also think a decent , more than a 1 or 2 day wonder cold snow producing spell in the coming 4 or 5 weeks highly unlikely
    We've got our answer as to how our Atlantic behaves in the current environment

• Registered Users Posts: 1,852 ✭✭✭Steve F

Typical that the UK look likely to covered with it , the models are still an absolute mess mind you , I live in hope .

I'm off to Birmingham tomorrow.Driving down from Holyhead.I'll send photos...promise :p

• Registered Users Posts: 1,523 ✭✭✭jambofc

the lightest snow flurry in Kilkenny city suppose i cant say i didnt see snow this winter now.........

• Registered Users Posts: 19,473 ✭✭✭✭Super-Rush

Just outside Kilkenny City and had a nice 15 snow/graupel shower. Looks nice in the sun now. Should be fun when it freezes on it tonight.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 32,688 ✭✭✭✭ytpe2r5bxkn0c1

Looked like a dusting of snow this morning but it's a layer of ice. Very slippery. Take care on those roads.

• Registered Users Posts: 20,341 ✭✭✭✭Rikand

Depends on the source of the cloud and airflow bringing it
    Normally in our climate cloud cover melts frost
    Obvious extreme exceptions for example like at times in Nov Dec 2010

Cheers

Trying to gauge whether I'll be golfing tomorrow based on this from yr.no ;)

http://www.yr.no/place/Ireland/Leinster/Enfield/hour_by_hour.html

ezkcpz.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 6,155 ✭✭✭highdef

Looks good for golfing, no rain and light winds....perfect. Just wrap up warm and you'll have a great game :D

• Registered Users Posts: 104 ✭✭Mafra

Ok so I'm just about to tap the unfollow thread button... Ice age is over for another year by the sounds of things. As from other years I've heard the weather savy guys say even if it looks like conditions are improving for cold the later in winter it happens the more extreme it needs to be to produce the desired effects with days getting longer etc.
    In other words a miracle. Not likely.
    I suppose a couple of nights frost is as good as it gets round here for most.
    It's pretty sad really that we get so excited about a bit of frost even..
    Anybody who got a few hours of snow, relish it you lucky sods!

• Registered Users Posts: 68,317 ✭✭✭✭seamus

Mafra wrote: »
    Ok so I'm just about to tap the unfollow thread button... Ice age is over for another year by the sounds of things.
    We're not even halfway through winter :)

Never underestimate the Irish weather. At the beginning of May 2012, morning temps were still in low single digits and there was snow at the top of Kippure.

Edit: In fact, Saturday 5th May it was, and I was riding through Enniskerry up to Glencree and Sally Gap. "Low single digits" is an exaggeration. It was seven degrees at 10am.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 981 ✭✭✭mountainy man

A bit of a top up over night and now have about 4 inches snow now, temps rising a little and sun shining, looks beautiful out here in the Sligo snow fields.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 16,734 Mod ✭✭✭✭Gonzo

got a slight dusting overnight, looks more like frost tho.
    Agreed that this is the end of the current cold snap, enjoy it while it lasts as the atlantic will be roaring back within 48 hours and that could go on for weeks, if not months.

• Registered Users Posts: 20,341 ✭✭✭✭Rikand

highdef wrote: »
    Looks good for golfing, no rain and light winds....perfect. Just wrap up warm and you'll have a great game :D

So you're saying no frost or ice ?

giphy.gif

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18,969 ✭✭✭✭syklops

Theres patches of ice on the pavement in Dublin 2, as of 10am this morning. Went skidding a couple of times - while walking.With subzero temps forcast for tonight, the ice age is definitely not over for this year yet. If anything, I think its only starting.

Im trying to remember which year, i think it was 1992 when we had sleety-snow on St Patricks Day.

A bit of a top up over night and now have about 4 inches snow now, temps rising a little and sun shining, looks beautiful out here in the Sligo snow fields.

The high ground there,in Donegal and of course the high ground in Wicklow are probably the snowiest parts of the country in my opinion

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 14,994 Mod ✭✭✭✭AndyBoBandy

syklops wrote: »
    Im trying to remember which year, i think it was 1992 when we had sleety-snow on St Patricks Day.

I remember a year, 1997/1998 (I think), and St. Patricks Day was a stunningly beautiful 20 degrees, and 2/3 weeks later in April we had snow.

seamus wrote: »
    We're not even halfway through winter :)

Never underestimate the Irish weather. At the beginning of May 2012, morning temps were still in low single digits and there was snow at the top of Kippure.

Edit: In fact, Saturday 5th May it was, and I was riding through Enniskerry up to Glencree and Sally Gap. "Low single digits" is an exaggeration. It was seven degrees at 10am.

Thanks. Love your optimism :-).
    However, Atlantic muck is forecast for the foreseeable and I will die of shock if that changes. I mean at levels where most of the population live exc. mountain tops etc.
    I hope you're right. Can't see it happening now though.
    Meanwhile I suppose we should be grateful for a glorious sunny day with not a single cloud to be seen except a little fluffy cap on mt Leinster.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,268 ✭✭✭✭fits

It was -32 at my head office in Finland this morning. Am going there next week! brrr.

syklops wrote: »
    Theres patches of ice on the pavement in Dublin 2, as of 10am this morning. Went skidding a couple of times - while walking.With subzero temps forcast for tonight, the ice age is definitely not over for this year yet. If anything, I think its only starting.

Think we've had a few years where there's been sleety snow for paddys day.
    I wish it would turn one way or the other next month. This forecast of rain and wind again for the next few weeks is driving me nuts!

• Registered Users Posts: 9,446 ✭✭✭weisses

fits wrote: »
    It was -32 at my head office in Finland this morning. Am going there next week! brrr.

Different cold though ?

A friend from Canada has more trouble with the cold here then back home

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,003 ✭✭✭Lucreto

pad199207 wrote: »
    Teensy dusting of snow here in Naas

-1c

I have a €5 bet that is all we will see for the rest of the Winter.

But I am on a losing streak at the moment so...

• Registered Users Posts: 7,543 ✭✭✭kingshankly

I remember a year, 1997/1998 (I think), and St. Patricks Day was a stunningly beautiful 20 degrees, and 2/3 weeks later in April we had snow.

99 I think

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 14,994 Mod ✭✭✭✭AndyBoBandy

weisses wrote: »
    Different cold though ?

I agree, I spent 2 winters in Lithuania with temps as low as -20 - -30, and it was manageable as it was a dry cold, whereas here, at -1 it almost feels colder.

The OH's mother came over on Monday from -20 in Lithuania, yet felt it was colder here when she arrived.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,010 ✭✭✭Tom Cruises Left Nut

I agree, I spent 2 winters in Lithuania with temps as low as -20 - -30, and it was manageable as it was a dry cold, whereas here, at -1 it almost feels colder.

The OH's mother came over on Monday from -20 in Lithuania, yet felt it was colder here when she arrived.

Was that just cause of the welcome you gave her :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 415 ✭✭Alexis Sanchez

Different cold though ?

Yeah, that's the higher humidity Ireland. Cold weather in Canada would be dryer - most regions anyway, Vancouver has a similar climate to Ireland.

When the humidity is high during cold weather, the water vapour penetrates the pours of your skin and makes you feel colder.

This is even noticeable in Ireland. I'd much rather be outdoors when it's -8*C on a clear and frosty night than +8*C on a wet and windy night.

• Registered Users Posts: 863 ✭✭✭Rooy

Beautiful clear day in Cork , should be a decent EOSDIS satellite pic today with clear sky and show some snow cover, will copy it up later if so

• Registered Users Posts: 33,730 ✭✭✭✭RobertKK

This looks to be my full allocation of snow from this cold period:

https://twitter.com/Kilkenny_Met/status/687978986538954752

• Registered Users Posts: 32,634 ✭✭✭✭Graces7

Different cold though ?

Absolutely so. I had family here from Canada for 6 months and it was the same, A damp cold here not a dry cold. She left me her huge feather quilt.. Kindness..But she was never warm here and that was March to September.

• Registered Users Posts: 32,634 ✭✭✭✭Graces7

RobertKK wrote: »
    This looks to be my full allocation of snow from this cold period:

https://twitter.com/Kilkenny_Met/status/687978986538954752

Aww.. Looks like icing sugar sifted atop a chocolate sponge cake.. mmmmmmm!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 408 ✭✭RoisinD

Just been listening to weather forecast on RTE radio and forecaster said there would be freezing rain over Clare and Limerick later this evening. She said this is a rare phenomenon. Just wondering how rare it is?

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement