Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Cold Spell January 9th to 16th 2016

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 33,728 ✭✭✭✭RobertKK

From Kilkennyweather.com -2.2C in Kilkenny city
    6/7 miles away on the hills it is +0.6C

The hills have milder nights when it is frosty but colder days in the winter.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,879 ✭✭✭pauldry

LOCATION SLIGOOOOOOOOO TOWWWWWWWNNNNNN

0.8c Slight Frost

Much colder than last nights 3.3c and hail

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,570 ✭✭✭The Sidewards Man

Colser wrote: »
    Is it just me or is it warm in Cork tonight? Or is it the wine:pac:

Yes very warm, grass growing. Might cut the lawn tomorrow.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,107 ✭✭✭✭JCX BXC

Temp dropped alot here in West Clare, currently 1.9c with a dense fog.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,569 ✭✭✭Special Circumstances

Trogdor wrote: »
    As I said in the edit to my post above, the easiest and best solution is obviously for everyone include their locations in their posts. However it's not a rule and it seems a bit harsh to have a go at someone who is actually already displaying their location (whether you can see it or not).

Hopefully we can get back on topic now (not that this cold spell seems to be going anywhere). I'm going to remove some of the argument but will leave the note about how to turn on signatures as it seems some people were not aware of this.

Sorry to go off topic again, but I don't enable sigs on mobile or pc.
    On mobile because I won't waste my crappy data allowance on somebody's vanity piece under each post.
    On pc because sometimes I access from work and I can't control what will be shown on screen or where those images will be linked from... A habit from working in companies that didn't block boards itself but trying to get the lotto numbers was blocked by the "gambling" filter on the work firewall.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 32,634 ✭✭✭✭Graces7

Mafra wrote: »
    RobertKK wrote: »
    We live on the same series of hills, the Castlecomer plateau. Last big hill snow event was that blizzard at the end of March 2010 as you mention, and that 1991 event was great got off school early in Comer, bus got us so far and my father had to come on the tractor to get us the rest of the way.
    2010 March blizzard was epic, it would smother you.
    The snow as seen in the following tweet was over 3 feet deep.

Drooling here..

RobertKK; great minds think alike as I was about to post some 2010 photos later! I was up in the Bluestacks, Donegal then and there was a layer of solid ice on the road about 3 inches thick. I was melting snow as the water was frozen solid. Makes great memories! I had two dogs then and they loved it! As TS Eliot says, " Time and forgetfulness sweeten memories.."

• Registered Users Posts: 32,634 ✭✭✭✭Graces7

The still air has ice on its breath this morning. Not a whisper of wind; the deep silence that comes with cold. I am postponing my " out" day accordingly as the roads will be lethal ... maddening as I was heading for Mizen Head and they only open at weekends in these months, but anticipation is grand. Sad for you that no more snow.. I would love to see a good fall up here as it would be magical but the tops are a glory. Looks wonderful over towards Ballaghbeama....

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,858 ✭✭✭Bigcheeze

Trogdor wrote: »
    Cmon now try to keep it civil/on topic. Bit of an argument over nothing here. There's no rules about having a location but even if there was his is location is clearly in his sig. I'm sure the full version of the site can be viewed on mobile as well, if not perhaps this issue should be directed towards the website developers not Oneiric 3.
    EDIT: To clarify, obviously if some people cannot see locations/signatures for whatever reason then the best solution is for users to post locations with each post. However, that is at the users discretion and it can seem a bit redundant at times (to PC users at least I guess, however I confess I have never used the mobile site) to post locations again when they are in the location/sig already.

More than 50% (and growing) of all boards traffic is from mobile devices.

Of the minority of visitors from a desktop, most probably have signatures turned off as they soon become annoying for regular users.

It's a pain in the hole when people report "here" and then get shirty about their location. I say change the charter to ban the word "here" from the weather forum.

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 17,705 Mod ✭✭✭✭DOCARCH

Graces7 wrote: »
    I am postponing my " out" day accordingly as the roads will be lethal ... maddening as I was heading for Mizen Head and they only open at weekends in these months, but anticipation is grand.

Hi Graces7. Roads should be fine down your way? Doubt there would be any ice with reports of 8c, at the moment, at Valentia, and 6c at Sherkin. Kerry/(West) Cork the mildest places in Ireland and the UK this morning.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,039 ✭✭✭force eleven

The sound of tumbleweed getting closer to this thread given latest output. I'm looking ahead for the next reload. Still have a good feeling re cold snowy weather for February.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,884 ✭✭✭JanuarySnowstor

Indeed the cold has very much left the scene in the southwest.
    I can only speak for Cork where it's positively balmy compared to recent mornings.

I would think for us southerners this cold spell is now over with v little in the way of ice / frost over the next week or so.

Memorable for ice but of course it's snow most of us crave and as ever it remains elusive

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,047 ✭✭✭Clonmel1000

The last week has been cold here in south Tipp. I wouldn't call it an event but given what we've had so far it was a bit of a shock to the system. We had no white mornings just the inconvenience of some ice. It wasn't anything remotely out of the ordinary for January and Ina pre social media age wouldn't be recalled by anyone for any reason. I don't mind the cold weather so much now my fear would be that our spring becomes our winter in the same way that last summer was like our spring.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 4,466 Mod ✭✭✭✭mickger844posts

A white scene this morning with frosty fields and grass. Min temp overnight -0.9c. Last frosty one for a while I would say.

www.waterfordcityweather.com

• Registered Users Posts: 2,884 ✭✭✭JanuarySnowstor

The last week has been cold here in south Tipp. I wouldn't call it an event but given what we've had so far it was a bit of a shock to the system. We had no white mornings just the inconvenience of some ice. It wasn't anything remotely out of the .
    Good point it wasn't anything out of the ordinary.
    In the Internet age everything gets hyped beyond all reason

• Closed Accounts Posts: 32,688 ✭✭✭✭ytpe2r5bxkn0c1

-2c right now. It's cold and dry and bright. A frosting of white sits on everything. The ground is hard and crisp. Just had a lovely walk in the fields.

There has been no 'event'. This is just January in Ireland. And pleasant it is.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,509 ✭✭✭✭sryanbruen

This "cold spell" looks like it's finished its course after tomorrow

• Registered Users Posts: 9,430 ✭✭✭weisses

Blasphemy in this thread I know, but it almost felt like spring this morning in West Kerry ...

• Registered Users Posts: 5,565 ✭✭✭Pangea

Was looking forward to a crispy morning, but greeted by damp cold misty 3c.

Hit a low of only 0.8c (and that was very temporarily) here last night, so still haven't recorded a temp below 0c or a grass frost yet this year.

Temp now 8.4c here in West Clare.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,602 ✭✭✭200motels

It's about 4.5 C here in Waterford City the frost is almost gone, all we have to look forward to weather wise is mostly mild muck from the Atlantic this coming week, it won't be like the mild weather in December but mild none the less.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 18,066 ✭✭✭✭Happyman42

Hate half's. Half snow half thaw in Monaghan...slushy and horrible.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,141 ✭✭✭Stealthfins

Carnacalla wrote:
    Temp now 8.4c here in West Clare.

Are you close to the ocean ?
    Was thinking of a surf in Doonbeag later,magicseaweed isn't showing much for lahinch though

• Registered Users Posts: 48,132 ✭✭✭✭km79

was looking forward to a cod crisp day outside
    took everything out of the shed to clean and air it and them
    all wet now

Are you close to the ocean ?
    Was thinking of a surf in Doonbeag later,magicseaweed isn't showing much for lahinch though

Can see a bay from the window, so yes, but not enough to inform you of conditions :P

Miserable here, very misty and drizzly.
    Temp now 8c.

• Registered Users Posts: 38 green and yellow

a balmy 9.6C in south west donegal

• Registered Users Posts: 6,235 ✭✭✭Oneiric 3

Foggy (despite a breeze) and damp here. 4.4c.

New Moon

• Registered Users Posts: 541 ✭✭✭weatherfiend

Had a hike up 3 rock (east side) with the kids and dogs. Was clear and fresh - though cloudy. Lots of ice more than an inch thick but only a scattering of snow. Tadpole pond iced over as well as the river by the masts. Really enjoyed it

• Registered Users Posts: 13,509 ✭✭✭✭sryanbruen

My coldest day this Winter so far this Winter under very thick cloud. I still have a maximum temperature of only 3.5c and I got down to -6.2c last night.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,637 ✭✭✭✭nacho libre

Cold , crisp day - perfect walking weather. Looks like we may be in for some white stuff tonight and possibly again on Monday.

Longer term the gp fellow, over on netweather, seems to think we may get another shot of cold weather towards the end of the month.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 452 ✭✭2forjoy

i'm too sick to enjoy the lovely crisp weather outside

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement