Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Why do you hate Irish?

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 6,691 ✭✭✭Lia_lia

I don't mind Irish too much. Some people in school really hated it. I found it pretty easy to pick up in primary school, probably because I was just after moving from France so was used to learning a language anyway. Also think it was taught better in primary school.

Wasn't one of my best subjects in secondary school, I don't think the way it was taught was great. Too many poems and learning off essays. I think the oral part of LC Irish is 50% now. Wish it was that when I was in school. Found that part very easy. Much easier to speak a language than write an essay about global warming..

• Registered Users Posts: 228 ✭✭mickotoole

Jaysus the modh conhiloch nearly killed me (in fact I still can't spell it right) but I've got to admit my minimal Irish let's my wife know whether the kids should heave ice cream or not!

• Registered Users Posts: 8,207 ✭✭✭The King of Moo

Iwasfrozen wrote: »
    Again. this is all support for second language learning, not Irish in particular.

Why not teach Spanish or French? The benefits are all there, including additional benefits in terms of improved ability to attract MNC's here. Think of the question in terms of why should Irish be a compulsory language rather than second language learning in general.

I covered that: you can't get immersion in French and Spanish in Ireland. Unless we change the Irish on every sign and import lots of French or Spanish speakers, we won't be able to teach either language effectively.
    It simply makes most sense to teach Irish at primary level (only as a compulsory subject then, optional at Second level) because there's more everyday Irish for children to passive absorb, which is essential for children. It's basically the principle behind gaelscoils and summer schools in the Gaeltacht in a much broader sense.

There's plenty of time for children to be learning languages for business and work reasons when they're teenagers. Before then it should be about improving their general cognition, mental development and later language acquisition. A child taught Irish really well will probably learn French better over five years as a teenager than one who had to learn it from four or five-years old.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 895 ✭✭✭Dughorm

What "beauty, wisdom and tradition?" You might want to ask the victims of the Catholic Church what they think of tradition.

Ah no, let's pander to the "it's our culture" brigade while anyone with any common sense does everything they can to flee the country.

Wow, the bitterness is strong, comparing language tradition (and I clearly meant tradition in the context of language) to "victims of the Catholic Church", doesn't do justice to either IMHO but anyhow....

I'm not sure what more I can say to you - the tradition and wisdom of "the market" hasn't been kind to Ireland be it in 2008, most of the 20th century or the 1840-50s.

I suppose "the market" does possess the Victorian Spencerian beauty of the mechanical grinding action of a shark chewing its victim or vultures pecking a carcass or a nation starving because they just *don't get with the programme* but it doesn't do it for me, I'll order a Bardic Verse with an ironic twist as my tipple.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,973 ✭✭✭Sh1tbag OToole

Wouldn't have a clue. Just thought 'Thatcher' was the usual for it. I could ask him but that would require effort.

It was as gaeilge, can't find it on focloir or wiki

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 7,631 ✭✭✭Dirty Dingus McGee

Based on?

Based on what I said earlier that the vast majority of people don't emigrate from this country and the vast majority of those that do don't want to emigrate regardless of what is happening in this country.

• Registered Users Posts: 81,197 ✭✭✭✭Atlantic Dawn
    M

It's taught by backwards means, the textbooks and audio tapes were a good 20 years out of fashion with what was in and what was out when I was in school. The idiots teaching it in schools were by the majority sticking to the same rubbish books year in year out and could not see they were utter out and out sheite and didn't promote or question changing them. If you stuck on R Na G for half an hour instead the class would be more productive. People like Hector and Des Bishop showed what could be done learning the language in an alternative way. Up until mid 90's the language was in a condition where it should have been taken outside and shot dead. There is now in part a revival mainly driven by elitism with people educating their kids in Gael Scoileanna, this needs to be accompanied by a complete scrappage of the current curriculam and a complete rebuild if the language is to be around and grow.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,687 ✭✭✭✭Penny Tration

I don't hate Irish.

A lot of people say they still can't string a sentence together and they passed exams by learning by rote.

That's simply bad teaching. It's not that it's a difficult language. I and one sister had the same Irish teacher in secondary school, both of us can read, write and converse in Irish - though probably not fluently anymore! Two other sisters had different Irish teachers and couldn't make up one sentence between them.

A good teacher can teach Irish properly.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,250 ✭✭✭✭Iwasfrozen

I covered that: you can't get immersion in French and Spanish in Ireland. Unless we change the Irish on every sign and import lots of French or Spanish speakers, we won't be able to teach either language effectively.
    It simply makes most sense to teach Irish at primary level (only as a compulsory subject then, optional at Second level) because there's more everyday Irish for children to passive absorb, which is essential for children. It's basically the principle behind gaelscoils and summer schools in the Gaeltacht in a much broader sense.

There's plenty of time for children to be learning languages for business and work reasons when they're teenagers. Before then it should be about improving their general cognition, mental development and later language acquisition. A child taught Irish really well will probably learn French better over five years as a teenager than one who had to learn it from four or five-years old.
    Except we can. Immersion is not place names on signs, immersion is access to media, and we have access to Spanish and French media. Much more so than Irish. What everyday Irish do children pick up outside school? I can't think of any.

Learning Spanish and/or French improves a child's general cognition, mental development and later language acquisition. In the latter case much more so as Spanish and French are both Romance languages and can aid in the acquisition of other Romance languages far more than Irish can.

A child thought Irish really well from a young age will be at a disadvantage learning French than a child thought Spanish really well from a young age.

There is no argument for Irish immersion learning over immersion learning in a useful language.

Except we can. Immersion is not place names on signs, immersion is access to media, and we have access to Spanish and French media. Much more so than Irish. What everyday Irish do children pick up outside school? I can't think of any.

Learning Spanish and/or French improves a child's general cognition, mental development and later language acquisition. In the latter case much more so as Spanish and French are both Romance languages and can aid in the acquisition of other Romance languages far more than Irish can.

A child thought Irish really well from a young age will be at a disadvantage learning French than a child thought Spanish really well from a young age.

There is an Irish language TV channel with childrens programmes in irish.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 72 ✭✭starry_eyed

It was as gaeilge, can't find it on focloir or wiki

It's registering with straw 'strac', strae' so it would be a variation on those maybe.
    'Buachan' is the lofty piece of the house.

How many watch? I certainly don't know any kids who watch TG4.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,687 ✭✭✭✭Penny Tration

My old Irish teacher has all of her students watch tg4 each night for 30 minutes as part of their homework assignment :pac:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 43,891 ✭✭✭✭Hugo Stiglitz

It clutters up signposts.

My potential love for it was squashed by turgid and joyless teaching in secondary school

How many access French and Spanish media like you mentioned earlier? Not many would be my guess.

They have an opportunity to access Irish language media if they want to.

• Registered Users Posts: 33,036 ✭✭✭✭Princess Consuela Bananahammock

Except kids watch TV to be entertained. On top of that, the porgrammes are originally in English and as anyone will tell you, programmes are always better tin the langauge they were written (especially when it's also the lamgauge you actually speak).

This brings is back to square one: people that don't like Irish, tend to not like it because it's something they see as a school subject and not an actual langauge. And no one in the education department seems to be all that botherred about changing this!!!! (That point in that last sentence is the bit I will never be able to get my head around)

Everything I don't like is either woke or fascist - possibly both - pick one.

I moved around a lot growing up. Can genuinely say that the standard and structure of teaching of Irish was hugely varied and dependent on the teacher, much mord so than any other subject. I think that is backed up by the variations of ability and enthusiasm in irish teachers described by the many posts in the thread.

This being the case, it was the first (and really the only) subject that suffered as a result of my having several different national/secondary schools- I was never really starting from of heading to the same position as the others, and that's before throwing in regional variations!

Other than that- I think people have covered the resentment that compulsory Irish through leaving cert causes, its genuinely totally counterproductive imo. Add to this the fruitless and disproportionate hours spent on it at primary level and you can see where people without grá or ability for it can grow passionate in their dislike.

The eh not fact maybe "feeling" one can get, not so much from individuals who love Irish themselves but rather the establishment invested in it, that there is an onus on one to learn Irish for reasons other than either a love for it or an understanding that it is a useful option for one's future and the tone oftentimes of moral superiority that this message can be conveyed with is often very grating. Have to say that this attitude isnt from the gaeilgeoiri I know (and envy!) but from the Irish times letter writers and lobbyists.

For the record, I hated Irish as a teenager and didn't have to sit in class after dropping down to pass, and had a chip on my shoulder for years about it. Now I'm quite fond of it despite not having much useful ability in it, but love to hear it and think it a beautiful language spoken or sung. I'd have aspirations to get conversational if the time were available to me now and had I faith that good teaching of it were available.

How many access French and Spanish media like you mentioned earlier? Not many would be my guess.

They have an opportunity to access Irish language media if they want to.
    Everyone has access if French or Spanish media if they want their kids to watch it. Much more media and in much more variety than one under funded Irish language station.

• Registered Users Posts: 661 ✭✭✭masti123

I think the Irish language should stay compulsory but we need to implement a more effective way of teaching it. There are a number of areas we could look at, the first being:
    • The Language Environment. On the continent, kids are immersed in English from a young age by movies, tv and music - a great incentive to become proficient in a foreign tongue. While trying to make Irish appealing to most kids by making it cool would be totally futile, I still think TG4 is the best tool at promoting Irish in or outside of schools. Why? Because they're still listening and processing the Irish, which greatly enhances their ability to speak it. It's world's better than training sleepy eyes on boring textbooks. If this means the teacher plays a dubbed episode of Spongebob or South Park (or some nature documentary) for the class and then discusses it with them afterwards, then so be it. It may not look like traditional learning, but kids will actually learn much more from it.
      [*]Give them some context. Part of the reason Irish is seen as irrelevant is because people (and not just students) can't see it connected to anything. Which is why I think a major part of the Irish curriculum should be ancient and medieval Irish history as well as our rich mythology, Fionn MacCuil, Cú Chulainn etc. Giving kids some historical context and letting them understand how our ancestors lived would go a long way to rectifying this problem. As well as standard history lessons (either in Irish or English) this could be supplemented by field trips to historical recreation centres where they've reconstructed crannogs and the like.

• Advertisement

masti123 wrote: »
    I think the Irish language should stay compulsory but we need to implement a more effective way of teaching it. There are a number of areas we could look at, the first being:
    Why? I'm not interested in the revival or survival of the Irish language. Why should the state dictate what my kids learn? [If I ever have any in Ireland]

• Registered Users Posts: 13,702 ✭✭✭✭BoatMad

but why, if an "effective" way can be found to teach it, why does it need to be compulsory. It always seems that , while advocates , always go on about better teaching methods,they dont what you to have free will on the matter either. Are they afraid, people might avoid it, effective teaching or not.

Why shouldn't it be a language choice like any other

Forgot to say this, and I think it links in with the immersion point above: the most and best I ever learned gaeilge was from listening to raidio roy on gift grub. make something worth understanding and give people a payoff and they'll learn with pleasure.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,191 ✭✭✭Eugene Norman

BoatMad wrote: »
    but why, if an "effective" way can be found to teach it, why does it need to be compulsory. It always seems that , while advocates , always go on about better teaching methods,they dont what you to have free will on the matter either. Are they afraid, people might avoid it, effective teaching or not.

Why shouldn't it be a language choice like any other

English isn't a choice. Probably for that reason.

English isn't a choice. Probably for that reason.

English is the working language of the country , not to mention the world, to suggest that would be optional is lunacy

How many people on this site who claim to be fluent in Irish has language proficiency beyond the average 12 year old in English? Not many I'd wager.

Why do people hate a language so much?

I dont. I hate how I was taught it. I hate how I was taught foreign languages as a whole. I suck at all of them. A portion of that is my apptitude for languages of course - which is remarkably low. But a part of it is also that in Ireland we seem often to be taught foreign (and in this context I include Irish in this) languages through English. And that has NEVER worked for me.

One of my girlfriends is a linguist by trade now and she has been taking the time to teach me German. I still struggle with it due to how bad I am at languages in general. But she is the best teacher I have ever had and I am making actual progress. And the reason is that she has never used english to teach me German. She refuses to. If I struggle with a word - phrase-or grammar construct -she reverts only to simpler german to lead me to where I need to go.

And all the german people I have met -many thankfully - learned english in this fashion. They never learned English through German.

But if there is any extra hatred of Irish in our society - I can only imagine it comes from it being used to foist an identity on people that those people no longer idenitify with. And we all know on a forum like this - in thread after thread - what ire Labels can bring. And I can imagine that being a continuum along which people at either age can not see each other.

Perhaps I - let alone current generations -do not even know what it means to identify as Irish anymore. I remember not SO many years ago when our familiy decided to do new years eve in a hotel - at the end of the DJ session I did not stand when the DJ decided to close the set with the National Anthem. My Dad asked me after why I did not stand when they played it. I had no answer. I asked why he DID stand when they played it. It turned out he did not have an answer to articulate either. Though he was more emotional about his lack than I was for mine.

How many people on this site who claim to be fluent in Irish has language proficiency beyond the average 12 year old in English? Not many I'd wager.

huh, most adults bilingual or not,having gone through secondary school, would have better abilities then a 12 year old in english

But if there is any extra hatred of Irish in our society - I can only imagine it comes from it being used to foist an identity on people that those people no longer idenitify with. And we all know on a forum like this - in thread after thread - what ire Labels can bring. And I can imagine that being a continuum along which people at either age can not see each other.

Perhaps I - let alone current generations -do not even know what it means to identify as Irish anymore. I remember not SO many years ago when our familiy decided to do new years eve in a hotel - at the end of the DJ session I did not stand when the DJ decided to close the set with the National Anthem. My Dad asked me after why I did not stand when they played it. I had no answer. I asked why he DID stand when they played it. It turned out he did not have an answer to articulate either. Though he was more emotional about his lack than I was for mine.

we are circulating around the key to the issue here. The "revival" of irish was largely fostered on an unwilling people, a people that did not in general agree with Devaleras view of irish society but where too cowed to say so.

had it been presented as an option, where those that genuinely wished to learn it, could do so , I expect the language would be in a better place today.

The gaelscol movement is more then language though, part of it is the desire to private school.

• Advertisement

BoatMad wrote: »
    huh, most adults bilingual or not,having gone through secondary school, would have better abilities then a 12 year old in english
    I meant how many posters of this forum who claim to be fluent in Irish would have language proficiency in Irish beyond an average 12 year old's abilities in English. Not many I'd wager.

Advertisement