Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Why do you hate Irish?

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 895 ✭✭✭Dughorm

I have never heard of it being socially unacceptable. Where have you seen this being the case?

Perhaps not so much as being socially unacceptable but perhaps the poster is describing the looks of shock (and probably admiration) people get from onlookers when Irish is spoken outside of the Gaeltacht?!

• Registered Users Posts: 16,250 ✭✭✭✭Iwasfrozen

Given the other thread it was surprising to the level of hatred for Irish. Having been over in Wales recently the English speakers would generally be apathetic to Welsh. No one seemed to hate it. Why do people hate a language so much?

Cen faith mar is fuair a lán daoine Gaeilge?

I don't resent Irish. I resent the amount of tax payer's money we spend promoting it.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,229 ✭✭✭LeinsterDub

Crumpets wrote: »
    I'd like to start learning it again. It's a beautiful-sounding language I think. I wasn't too fond of it as a subject in school though. I'd have liked it more if they had focused more on conversing as Gaeilge as opposed to making us learn off essays about drug problems

Memrise and duolingo are a free start so

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,973 ✭✭✭Sh1tbag OToole

ted1 wrote: »
    It's kind of hard ordering a coffee in Starbucks through Irish when the staff is Polish.

You get them used to it one word at a time. Each time they become confident with one word you substitute another. Better off doing this at a place that isn't Starbucks though, their coffee is sh1te

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18,969 ✭✭✭✭syklops

martyos121 wrote: »
    Well if you start speaking Irish to people down the street, they tend to give you an odd look. You can't walk into most restaurants and order as Gaeilge, you can't handle a lot of daily errands as Gaeilge, and most imprortantly, it's quite hard to chat up a woman as Gaeilge more often than not :pac:.

Maybe socially unacceptable isn't the correct term for it, but I perceive the language to be frowned upon in daily life, at least where I live.

Well if you tried all those activities but in Russian, you would find it equally difficult. Not because Russian is frowned upon but because the majority of people don't speak it. Simple as.

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,162 ✭✭✭strelok

Well if you start speaking Irish to people down the street, they tend to give you an odd look. You can't walk into most restaurants and order as Gaeilge, you can't handle a lot of daily errands as Gaeilge, and most imprortantly, it's quite hard to chat up a woman as Gaeilge more often than not :pac:.

Maybe socially unacceptable isn't the correct term for it, but I perceive the language to be frowned upon in daily life, at least where I live.

well of course it's frowned upon, no one can speak it :D

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 37,215 CMod ✭✭✭✭ancapailldorcha

I suspect that this is down to the average Irish person not having a clue as to what you're on about more than a breach of social etiquette.

We sat again for an hour and a half discussing maps and figures and always getting back to that most damnable creation of the perverted ingenuity of man - the County of Tyrone.

H. H. Asquith

• Registered Users Posts: 8,207 ✭✭✭The King of Moo

I was. We had a large computer room in our school that I barely got to use at all. Apparently, being just about able to string together half a dozen words as an adult was more important.

We had a weekly computer class which I was happy enough with. Especially because even back then in the mid-90s it wasn't obvious to all of us teens that computers would become such an everyday tool for non-nerds.

I'm starting to think that I was lucky in getting to go to a half-decent school!

• Registered Users Posts: 23,271 ✭✭✭✭ted1

Iwasfrozen wrote: »
    I don't resent Irish. I resent the amount of tax payer's money we spend promoting it.

I resent people being giving housrd and money for not working at the expense of the tax payer, but hey that's life. There's give and take

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,973 ✭✭✭Sh1tbag OToole

I seen people speaking Irish outside the Gaelteacht and never see them getting odd looks. Where is this place?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,751 ✭✭✭irishguitarlad

Dont hate it but goddamn the romance languages are sexy as ****!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,631 ✭✭✭Dirty Dingus McGee

It is state propaganda forced upon people. You should not have to learn Irish if you don't want to. Not everyone is Gaelic in thinking and thinks the Irish language is what defines them. You would be better learning Chinese and investing money into languages which are relevant in the world.

What good is Irish going to do in the 21st century? Keep it as a hobby but it should not be state funded.

What good is any subject in school.

Almost everything i learned in school was completely pointless including maths (and i work in the financial services industry).

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 37,215 CMod ✭✭✭✭ancapailldorcha

We had a weekly computer class which I was happy enough with. Especially because even back then in the mid-90s it wasn't obvious to all of us teens that computers would become such an everyday tool for non-nerds.

I'm starting to think that I was lucky in getting to go to a half-decent school!

We got to do an hour a week for the Leaving Cert years. However, our teacher was so abysmal that I picked up absolutely nothing so it made no difference.

We sat again for an hour and a half discussing maps and figures and always getting back to that most damnable creation of the perverted ingenuity of man - the County of Tyrone.

H. H. Asquith

• Registered Users Posts: 21,341 ✭✭✭✭martyos121

I suspect that this is down to the average Irish person not having a clue as to what you're on about more than a breach of social etiquette.

Yeah, that's pretty much it. I just don't get how that's too different to saying I'm not able to go about my daily life as Gaelige outside of the Gaeltacht. That's what I was trying to say, maybe that damn Gaelscoil had a negative effect on my English! :pac:

Dont hate it but goddamn the romance languages are sexy as ****!

I'm currently learning some Spanish. Very beautiful language, in comparison Irish sounds like nails on a chalkboard.

What good is any subject in school.

Almost everything i learned in school was completely pointless including maths (and i work in the financial services industry).

Until we have personalised education whereby each child receives lessons based on their individual strengths and needs then casting the net wide is the best that can be done. A lot of subjects while not obviously useful can teach one important life lessons. I was awful at Woodwork for example. However, I learned the importance of planning my work and patience from it.

H. H. Asquith

• Registered Users Posts: 33,036 ✭✭✭✭Princess Consuela Bananahammock

I completely agree. I think people were mainly bored by Irish in school because it wasn't made engaging for them.
    I don't think everyone sees that when they look back on their schooldays and rationalise their annoyance with Irish with explanations from their adult life.

Well, there was kind of a point. I mean, as kids, you understand the point of English and Maths. You may not like them, but you understand why you need them. With irish, you don't understand why you need it.

As for other subjects like history and geogrpahy - at least they were being taught in a langauge I generally understood.

Everything I don't like is either woke or fascist - possibly both - pick one.

syklops wrote: »
    That was primary school and speaking to my friends and if you ask the boardsies here who do hate it with a passion, many of them came from schools with a similar organisation.

That's mental! I really hope your experience wasn't typical. At least nowadays it doesn't seem to be, from what I can see of my nephews' experiences.

I'm currently learning some Spanish. Very beautiful language, in comparison Irish sounds like nails on a chalkboard.

Perhaps they need to record some new voiceovers on the luas with sexy Gaeilge voices? If TG4 can manage it... :D

• Registered Users Posts: 8,689 ✭✭✭sky88

Because it's taught horribly in schools

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 7,347 ✭✭✭LynnGrace

Stheno wrote: »
    For me it's the way it was thought, over twenty years after I left school, I can still have a conversation in French or German, but Irish is beyond me, that's with five years of French and German and 13 of Irish.

I agree that the way that it is taught has a big influence. I was fortunate to have a good Irish teacher, at secondary school, and, in my opinion, that did make a difference.

Until we have personalised education whereby each child receives lessons based on their individual strengths and needs then casting the net wide is the best that can be done. A lot of subjects while not obviously useful can teach one important life lessons. I was awful at Woodwork for example. However, I learned the importance of planning my work and patience from it.

That doesn't work with all students though. When I was in 6th year I rebelled and refused to sit in Irish class any more. I still sat the leaving and got into my college course thanks to my grinds teacher but that should never have been an issue.

If an 18 year old doesn't want to waste time on a useless ugly language they shouldn't be forced to.

You could apply that principal to every single subject taught in school.

Nobody ever criticizes History being taught in schools even though it is probably the most pointless subject there is.It's great fun and everything and I loved it in school but Henry Ford was 100% right when he said it was nonsense as we're not going back to the past so why bother yourself thinking about it when you can't do anything to change it.

Dughorm wrote: »
    Perhaps they need to record some new voiceovers on the luas with sexy Gaeilge voices? If TG4 can manage it... :D

Ha, the TG4 girls are sexy in spite of their gutteral language, not because of it. :D

That doesn't work with all students though. When I was in 6th year I rebelled and refused to sit in Irish class any more. I still sat the leaving and got into my college course thanks to my grinds teacher but that should never have been an issue.

If an 18 year old doesn't want to waste time on a useless ugly language they shouldn't be forced to.

Of course not! This is why the "if Irish is useless, we should get rid of anything else as well" argument holds no water with me. Irish has no value beyond providing fresh meat to the broken system which forces it down pupils' throats.

H. H. Asquith

Is that your stance regarding the need for a 3rd language for admission to several universities here also?

People are forced to do Maths even though leaving cert maths will be completely useless to the vast majority of people who study it.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,751 ✭✭✭irishguitarlad

Best thing you could ever do, it will give you lots of great experiences!

You could apply that principal to every single subject taught in school.

Nobody ever criticizes History being taught in schools even though it is probably the most pointless subject there is.It's great fun and everything and I loved it in school but Henry Ford was 100% right when he said it was nonsense as we're not going back to the past so why bother yourself thinking about it when you can't do anything to change it.

Ah, that old strawman. I was wondering when it would appear. Maybe we should just have kids work in sweatshops then? Take back some of those jobs from China?

H. H. Asquith

• Advertisement

Well, there was kind of a point. I mean, as kids, you understand the point of English and Maths. You may not like them, but you understand why you need them. With irish, you don't understand why you need it.

As for other subjects like history and geogrpahy - at least they were being taught in a langauge I generally understood.

There's not an obvious or practical point to lots of subjects like English literature or history, but Irish bears the brunt of resentment because it was taught badly to a lot of people. If most people left school with a decent competence in the language, I don't think so many of them would complain about not using it in their daily lives. Very few people use their European language from secondary school in a meaningful way in their adult life, but you hear very few complaints about having French rammed down one's throat for five years.

Advertisement