Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

The LG G5

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 26,658 ✭✭✭✭OldMrBrennan83

This post has been deleted.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,942 ✭✭✭biebiebie

Yeah saw that all right.. But I wonder is that deal only with carriers, and not for sim free option.
    The L5 seems to tick all my boxes. I just need to see how battery tests go on the final product to make yo my mind.

Then if the oneplus 3 and Moto X don't tick enough boxes, the LG L5 it'll be.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,483 ✭✭✭✭For Forks Sake

Patww79 wrote: »
    Any sign of a network in Ireland carrying it this time or is it being ignored again?

fwiw I asked a person I know that works for carphone warehouse, he said that there's no word yet on any of the Irish networks ranging it at present.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 966 ✭✭✭Mourinho

• Advertisement

Yes they do.

However I cannot get my head around one aspect.

Why employ an 8 MP wide angle camera on the rear to accompany the main 16MP rear shooter?

That's daft if you ask me.

It's looking good so far thankfully.

Pre order is back on Amazon shipping April 8th only the rotten Titan grey and gold options tho.

No interest in anything bar silver tbh.

I just read that silver will be exclusive to CPW in the UK.

Not sure how long for though.

biebiebie wrote: »
    I just read that silver will be exclusive to CPW in the UK.

Not sure how long for though.

I wonder tho is it exclusive as in to a network? Rather than sim free on Amazon.

• Advertisement

They seem to sell sim free as well, the Carphone Warehouse UK that is.

Wonder is it possible to order it from them and deliver here via parcel motel?

Remember lads ordering phones that way before here.

I'm after downloading the Samsung Galaxy S7 sample pictures and there as good as the LG ones even better in low light.

I think I'm gonna get the standard S7 at this stage. Top cameras, same internal specs, good battery and water proofing. Plus it looks nice and comes in black. I also am probably one of the few that likes touch wiz as a skin.

Patww79 wrote: »
    I put Nova straight on my S7 Edge but I could have actually lived with touchwiz this time round it's not too bad.

I haven't had much of a mess about with the camera yet, but I have found that I definitely prefer the photos I got from the G4.

These are the ones I was comparing with the G5 I linked earlier, they seem on par... I think

http://www.phonearena.com/image.php?m=Reviews.Images&f=name&id=190484&popup=1

• Registered Users Posts: 3,307 ✭✭✭dan786

Amazon Italy have all three colours for 699.

dan786 wrote: »
    Amazon Italy have all three colours for 699.

Amazon.de have the silver as well. Neither have a ship date unlike the UK site tho which ship April 8th.

I wonder if you had issues with one purchased off amazon.de would you be able to send it to the Dublin depot for returns given its under Amazon Prime?

Edit: never mind they've sorted issues with collection by couriers and suck once it's covered by Amazon themselves.

Full review by GSM Arena

http://m.gsmarena.com/lg_g5-review-1416p3.php

Battery life seems ok considering the specs and battery size. With quick charge 3.0 and a spare battery I don't think I'd have many problems IMO.

So who is actually going to buy this then? Anyone preordered?

So who is actually going to buy this then? Anyone preordered?

I've made up my mind to get one. Just trying to decided on silver or Titan should decide in next few days can't imagine their pre order stock will run out somehow :p

• Advertisement

Here's an initial review of the camera based on a pre production G5 vs the G4.

Looks like the G5 camera is an improvement over the G4, so looking like it'll offer some serious photographic abilities.

http://www.forbes.com/sites/patrickmoorhead/2016/03/28/lgs-g5-smartphone-is-a-giant-leap-in-photographic-capabilities-over-the-g4/#16c2fa1933d0

• Registered Users Posts: 4,965 ✭✭✭opus

Not exactly a glowing review here - LG G5 Review: A Bit Of A Mess, Frankly

If HTC didn't pull through for me this year, I was hoping that the G5 would be a backup option. Seems like a major fail, so there goes that idea.

According to this article, the full metal body is a thin layer of aluminium bonded to plastic!

http://9to5google.com/2016/04/01/lg-g5-teardown-plastic-build/

According to this article, the full metal body is a thin layer of aluminium bonded to plastic!

http://9to5google.com/2016/04/01/lg-g5-teardown-plastic-build/

Yeah, it's pretty funny. They still had to put plastic parts in the chamfer to allow for aerial, even though it's essentially still a plastic phone.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,241 ✭✭✭god's toy

Thing is its a step up from the G4. Bad reviews only help the price drop faster than the G4 so whether a someone hates it cos its plastic or has backlight bleed is no bad news to me.

Let the price fall!

I hear preorders are way over the G4 last year.

I've read reviews that are very positive tbh. The camera being bad is BS I've compared countless S7 and G5 and they are on par IMO, far better than a 6p which the reviewer claims is better.

Couldn't give a feck about whether it has a "premium feel" it's gonna be in a case same as every phone I've had. The reviewer also has a drawback that it's an "ugly design" I think it looks class, so that's subjective.

Battery life is only annoying thing, but half the reviewers have said its similar to the normal S7 and others that it's not as good, we'll wait and see what the likes of android central, marquees Brownlee, tech radar, flossy Carter and maybe even josh dew say on that.

I'm sorry but after another read I have to agree with some comments that the reviewer seems a BIT too in love with the Samsung comparisons. It's a top phone tho and I seriously considered it but his/her review is so at odds with all the other pre production comments and mini reviews I've read. Camera, speaker and finger print reader especially have been praised. This review says it's an awful reader and everyone says they barely touch it and it unlocks and found it impressive.

Why would you compare the S7 Edge with the G5 for battery and other reviews have said its speaker is better than the S7's as there water proofing has dulled it a bit.

If the Nexus 5x and 6p has a better camera than the G5 then it has to better than Samsungs apparently.

Also if I'm right he's done an in dept review in a pre production unit? Hopefully the light bleed will be correct in that.

On battery it has quick charge 3.0 0-83% in 30 minutes and swappable batteries which should sort that for me anyway :p

Hopefully light bleed is corrected in the full units tho.

If Marquees and Flossy hate it then I'll be reconsidering as they seem always straight up on it :(

• Advertisement

Android authority released this on the whole metal body.... gate? :p
    spokesman has pointed Android Authority in the direction of this passage in the LG G5 press release: “the insulative antenna is invisibly integrated into the body without disrupting the seamless look of the metal uni-body.” We’re awaiting further clarification, but it does sound as though the section revealed in the video might just be a small plastic antenna section while the rest of the G5 body is indeed metal (other scratch marks in the video do seem to show a metal chassis underneath the paint). We’ll bring you further details as they arise.

Let's see how that much pans out. As said doesn't bother me but would for others I know.

Advertisement