Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

The LG G5

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 26,658 ✭✭✭✭OldMrBrennan83

This post has been deleted.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 966 ✭✭✭Mourinho

Patww79 wrote: »
    90% of what I've read and seen on the camera says it's a step up on the G4 which means it'll be brilliant. I've already found the S7 camera inferior to the G4 one in some aspects.

Same an improved G4 camera which I feckin loved is great.

My only gripe on the G4 was no finger print reader and a rear speaker which have been corrected so reckon I'll personally be happy bar the phone having a tendency to have its arse fall off or something haha.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,942 ✭✭✭biebiebie

Mourinho wrote: »
    Android authority released this on the whole metal body.... gate? :p

Let's see how that much pans out. As said doesn't bother me but would for others I know.

That makes sense. Plastic is required for the antenna to operate correctly. And to have it look integrated with the metal chassis why not cover it with a similar thin coating of aluminium/metallic paint. So the video is probably being disingenuous, perhaps to maximise hype/exposure for the youtube channel itself.

Big thing now is whether to wait for a price drop and if it's worth it. My iPhone is worth €570 trade v €700 for the LG so €130 it will cost. If I wait for a price drop sure the iPhone value will probably drop in tandem.

Main worry is tho if I adopt from the initial batch I may get fecked with issues not ironed out. Think I'll wait for Amazon UK to bring in the silver as it will be easier return.

Phone Arena with a better explanation

http://www.phonearena.com/news/LG-G5-actually-a-plastic-phone-Yes-and-no--better-check-out-this-video_id79840

So it's metal but with coating over it essentially?

• Advertisement

Patww79 wrote: »
    After what happened with the G4 (though they couldn't make such a monumental **** up again could they?), I'd be buying from as close a retailer as possible if I were you. Maybe an Irish retailer will finally stock an LG this time round.

With EU laws I'll def knock two years worth of claims outta Amazon anyway. Don't think any Irish place has mentioned anything yet unfortunately.

My God that screen bleed..... With luck they'll correct it in next batch.

Erica Griffins had the same screen bleed too.

• Advertisement

Was just looking at the YouTube channel of the guy that done the LG tear down and he found the same thing with the Nexus 6P it was claimed all metal but yet was actually found to have loads of plastic, proper plastic rather than a coating like the LG, was there any up roar over it does any know? :confused:

Was just looking at the YouTube channel of the guy that done the LG tear down and he found the same thing with the Nexus 6P it was claimed all metal but yet was actually found to have loads of plastic, proper plastic rather than a coating like the LG, was there any up roar over it does any know? :confused:

Both are pretty bad. Don't know why they even bother claiming that it's metal, you know you're going to get found out pretty quickly.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,971 ✭✭✭Flaccus

The 6P uses plastic dove tail joints along the bottom inside edge of the frame and of course a plastic bottom back cover. Cheap asses. The G5 looks more sturdy but not a fan of the plastic covering the metal finish or the panel gaps along the back where the battery slots in. The S7 also has it's share of problems. Plastic home button which scratches easily and heart rate monitor also covered in plastic. The Z5 has an easily scratched camera lense cover too. The M9 featured a sapphire camera lense cover and slightly more durable aluminium back and chamfered edges compared to the M8 but they sill cheaper out with plastic speaker tags top and bottom. The Note4 was solid (never had a Note 5) but had highly polished aluminium/paint along the edges which even the official samsung case would chip at over time. I guess all android phones have their fit and finish and quality issues.

Flaccus wrote: »
    The 6P uses plastic dove tail joints along the bottom inside edge of the frame and of course a plastic bottom back cover. Cheap asses. The G5 looks more sturdy but not a fan of the plastic covering the metal finish or the panel gaps along the back where the battery slots in. The S7 also has it's share of problems. Plastic home button which scratches easily and heart rate monitor also covered in plastic. The Z5 has an easily scratched camera lense cover too. The M9 featured a sapphire camera lense cover and slightly more durable aluminium back and chamfered edges compared to the M8 but they sill cheaper out with plastic speaker tags top and bottom. The Note4 was solid (never had a Note 5) but had highly polished aluminium/paint along the edges which even the official samsung case would chip at over time. I guess all android phones have their fit and finish and quality issues.

Right there you've pretty much summed up why I keep going back to HTC. They had a couple of small plastic panels on the front of the M9, and that's the only negative you can find. Really shows they're still light years ahead of other OEMs with their build design and quality. Samsung have really upped their game, but no idea why they went all glass. Can't imagine using my Edge+ without a case.

The reviews for the G5 have really put me off it now, I know I'm just going to be looking out for all of these imperfections that have been noted. Wish I could just erase them all from my memory, and go into it with an open mind :D

Basil3 wrote: »
    Right there you've pretty much summed up why I keep going back to HTC. They had a couple of small plastic panels on the front of the M9, and that's the only negative you can find. Really shows they're still light years ahead of other OEMs with their build design and quality. Samsung have really upped their game, but no idea why they went all glass. Can't imagine using my Edge+ without a case.

The reviews for the G5 have really put me off it now, I know I'm just going to be looking out for all of these imperfections that have been noted. Wish I could just erase them all from my memory, and go into it with an open mind :D

Waiting to see what the M10 will be like. If they get the camera right and have the same build/fit and finish quality as the M9 I would definitely consider it. But I will miss boom sound or whatever it's called these days as it looks like they are ditching the dual speakers.

Screen bleed is what will have me holding off on for now with it anyway unfortunately.

Flaccus wrote: »
    Waiting to see what the M10 will be like. If they get the camera right and have the same build/fit and finish quality as the M9 I would definitely consider it. But I will miss boom sound or whatever it's called these days as it looks like they are ditching the dual speakers.

I know a guy who has M10 and it has dual speakers still. One from the earpiece and another from the bottom. Apparently they still sound really good.
    Screen bleed is what will have me holding off on for now with it anyway unfortunately.

Yeah, hopefully it's something that is improved with later batches. That's the type of thing that I would normally try not to look for, but now I've seen a review talking about it, I'd just have to!

• Registered Users Posts: 4,241 ✭✭✭god's toy

I think a v10 vershion on a g5 will be its best bet.

Just give me a v10 with a 820 CPU and they can keep all the add-ons.

I know a guy who has M10 and it has dual speakers still. One from the earpiece and another from the bottom. Apparently they still sound really good.

Yeah, hopefully it's something that is improved with later batches. That's the type of thing that I would normally try not to look for, but now I've seen a review talking about it, I'd just have to!

Haha I'm the same :p That issue will have to be sorted or they may as well stop selling right now cause they will be all returned and no one will buy, you'd expect so anyway.

As I said earlier the metal premium finish thing makes no odds to me I'd have bought it if it was total plastic anyway. I like the design but those specs are obviously what I really like.

I looked at the Samsungs and they are great but I don't like the edge screens at all. Was seriously considering the normal S7 but the LG cameras are as good to me and the LG charges faster probably has similar battery life but I can get an extra battery or two with a cradle.

I'm also probably in the minority but I think the LG just looks nicer to me, I think it's the rear mounted finger reader would work for me better cause I always pick up my phone with my index right at the back where it would be haha.

Last year I said to myself if the G4 has rear or front mounted speakers plus a finger print reader it would have been my fav phone ever so if the real important faults are corrected I'll def get one.

I also noticed in the scratch test vid that Jerry said the screen seems thin, like you can see the touch of your finger, which you could.... But no other reviews had that so maybe he's just purposely putting as much pressure as possible to see what he gets, he has bended and broken phones so wouldn't put it past him.

To me, he is honestly just like that Priest in Fr. Ted pulling things apart with unreal force and then shouting "Cowboys Ted! A bunch of Cowboys! :p

It must be a pre production model gone to someone to review it as the M10 isn't set to launch for another 10 days. But it makes sense they keep the dual speakers even if the move onto to the bottom. The camera needs to be as good as the S6/S7 and the screen needs to be up there too.

• Advertisement

So LG responded to Erica Griffin directly about the metal gate if you will.

So it's finally confirmed it is in fact a full metal body however the rear is heavily covered in a metallic paint which is used to cover up the antennas which LG managed to actually integrate into the aluminium body.

So LG responded to Erica Griffin directly about the metal gate if you will.

So it's finally confirmed it is in fact a full metal body however the rear is heavily covered in a metallic paint which is used to cover up the antennas which LG managed to actually integrate into the aluminium body.

Explanation is pretty poor. They try to make out they have used a breakthrough process, when it sounds like they've just copied what HTC do, then covered it with a load of paint and marketed it as a breakthrough.

For what it's worth, I don't like the back of the G5. I think the G4/V10 look better.

Didnt address the LCD light bleed.

Interesting side by side comparison with the S7 Edge here

https://youtu.be/7PhWfTkJiug

Also on the same channel a full G5 review and a short video on battery life (~5 hours screen on time).

This reviewer gives the camera top marks for zoomed in photos vs iphone 6s plus vs S7

http://www.techinsider.io/lg-g5-has-incredible-zoom-camera-2016-4

You have to watch this video!
    https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=tOpsnNf9Wj0

So not only build quality issues but you apparently have to buy a seperate charger to use quick charge 3.0 as the one in the box is only 2.0?

What an absolute load of ****ing ****. Don't advertise something as having quick charge 3.0 but you need to buy a seperate charge ffs

So not only build quality issues but you apparently have to buy a seperate charger to use quick charge 3.0 as the one in the box is only 2.0?

What an absolute load of ****ing ****. Don't advertise something as having quick charge 3.0 but you need to buy a seperate charge ffs

It was the same with the G4 and QC 2.0

• Advertisement

That's quite common across many manufacturers as far as I know eg Moto X, HTC M9, and even the LG G4 (QC 2.0)

Advertisement